Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

If it is a network printer the odds are it is a postscript printer. The PPD file is a text file. I doubt it is an intel/powerpc issue. Have you tried adding the printer directly from the CUPS interface? Should be running on Port 631: http://localhost:631/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Yes, I have a Spring 2008 MBP, and it is super hot now.

E: grr I can't read.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

wolffenstein posted:

Try "sudo chmod -R 777 ~" in Terminal. This lets all users on the OS to do whatever they want with your home folder's data.

Note this is a very bad thing to do security wise, so if things are fixed after this, repair permissions or manually set permissions back.

DO NOT DO THIS.

It gives execute to every file in your home directory, and allows anyone to modify or delete them.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

The problem is you are going to gently caress them up even more by blindly setting 777. I would go with repair permissions first.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I have seen dumb unix admins get fired for doing poo poo like this.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Martytoof posted:

What was that goon-approved fink/ports replacement that was mentioned a while ago? For some reason I can't find where we were talking about it and I want to install nmap. I guess I'd like to not worry about fink/ports if I don't have to and if this is better.

e: Was it Homebrew?

It was homebrew, but warning it fucks with your /usr/local permissions. I went to macports after it hosed that poo poo up.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Fren posted:

Could you be more specific? I swear by Homebrew precisely because it doesn't require special permissions to do anything. Is there a issue for this already on their GitHub page?

It wanted to change ownership of local to my account, and bitched about some other software I had installed in local. It then creates a bunch of symlinks for the homebrew software instead of just modifying your local shell profile to look in the homebrew install directory.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I really never had any major issues with macports, sure having 2 copies of perl/python/Xorg can be annoying. At least it doesn't gently caress with my permissions.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

mllaneza posted:

That magic line at the start of a script in Unix ? #!/bin/python ? If you need a specific version, install it to /usr and then specify that in your scripts.

You should not be installing into /usr unless it is though the package management system. There are plenty of ways to handle which version you want to run though the shebang.

E: spelling.

SwimNurd fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 14, 2011

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

japtor posted:

For someone that's not too knowledgeable about this stuff beyond basics, what are the implications of it loving up permissions/ownership on /usr/local? Security cause anything from your account can write there and/or messing things up in a multiuser environment?

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, this is the way I was taught by a crusty old unix neckbeard with a lazy eye. /usr/local is for root installed applications outside of the package management system. Generally in Linux and some Unix systems, it is used for things like user compiled applications, perl modules installed by cpan, python modules installed by easy_install, etc. The key here is that it is shared by all users on the system. But you say, "Swimnurd, I am the sole user of my system, why not just let my account own that folder?" Well daemons (Services) tend to run as a user that is just for that daemon. If the daemon, was user compiled or needed any installed software in /usr/local and lacks the proper rights to access it, the application will core. Sure, you can play with the permissions to allow other accounts access to those shared libraries and poo poo, but by default most systems are set up to do this in the first place. Why reinvent the wheel?

MacPorts to get around messing with permissions in the /usr/local directory, it creates a clone of /usr/local in /opt, called /opt/local. Then modifies your shell configuration to include that install root in your environment. Effectively, creating a walled garden, MacPorts works like a package manager and keeps track of all installed software in its clean disk space. It has a nice side effect of giving the option of allowing each user to participate in the ports installed software or not participate and just use the defaults.

Homebrew seems to install its software in /usr/local/cellar and then symlink install into /usr/local. It also by default allows you not to be elevated root though sudo to run homebrew. Which is why it changes ownership to /usr/local to your account. This works on a clean install, but if you have ever installed anything into /usr/local it will gently caress your poo poo up. What I don't understand is why homebrew doesn't just install to the users profile instead of modifying system directories. To me it seems like it was written by a very lazy admin, who can't be bothered to use sudo. These practices are dangerous and will always lead to trouble down the line.

TL;DR: Homebrew does crazy poo poo. Don't use it.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

You Am I posted:

Oh God yes. I tried MacPorts again with their own GUI interface, but the GUI keeps crashing when you load it, and they still haven't fixed it.

I didn't even know macports has a GUI. It really isn't that difficult to use on the commandline.

code:
$ sudo ports install irssi

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

unruly posted:

I haven't had any issues with Homebrew. I even upgraded to Lion and my homebrew'd apps kept working.

I don't get the Homebrew hate. I love it, especially since I don't have to compile all of the core utilities just to get PAR installed.

:colbert:

It isn't really hate, it is more of bitching about how bad decisions were made during development.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

krnhotwings posted:

On Snow Leopard and earlier versions, if I shutdown my computer it'd shutdown almost immediately. But ever since moving to Lion, a lot of times the OS will just hang with the spinning indicator on a gray screen for a minute or 2 (or more.) Anybody have any else getting this? What the heck is the OS doing when all I want it do is shutdown?
Saving application states.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

BlackMK4 posted:

I can't believe Spotify -requires- a facebook account to register. Wow, saving my 10bux a month right there.

Is there really no way around it?

Did this recently change? I signed up about 2 months ago and I don't use facebook.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Krakkles posted:

Thank you!

1Password question: I got an update for it a few days ago, and ever since it's been showing this:

But there's nothing I can select that appears "new". How do I make the red notification alert go away?

If you are running the app store version of 1Password the agent needs to be running. Run the 1Password Application once, and the agent should start.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

If you don't have the disk, you should be able to boot into single user mode and reset the password. I haven't done this since about 10.3, but I doubt it has changed.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Yeah, it is called Screen Sharing located in:
code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/
It is basically Remote Desktop Light.

Full path:
code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Screen\ Sharing.app
E: I found a document that shows how to unlock some more features in it, have not tried it in 10.7 but did work in 10.6 http://www.macworld.com/article/131094/2007/12/screensharepower.html

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Martytoof posted:

Not regretting buying Remote Desktop on campus because it's awesome for its little micro management stuff, but this is basically the same VNC client that it uses, it seems. Very nice :)

I love ARD too, have been using it since Network Assistant. It really is VNC with some extra not so good extra security. I hate the way ARD works on a network level, our IDS goes bat poo poo when I fire the app up. It likes to ping sweep the subnets that your managed clients are on.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I just use the native client, I have had no issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I am pretty sure that is java. This is what Oracle calls a "User Interface"