Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I received an email from Intuit that said my version of Quicken wouldn't work with Lion. The current Mac Quicken seems like a step back from my version so I'm looking at PC versions now. Anyone had experience moving from an older Mac version to the current "Essentials" or a PC version? I'm holding off my OS upgrade until I can get this sorted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

You must have forgotten how absolutely terrible the Mac OS was 20 years ago... (up until OS X, there was really no difference in quality between the Mac OS and Windows Millenium)

This is a strange statement that makes no sense to me. I wouldn't even know where to start to respond to it properly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I'm not going to install Lion until it gets some serious patching I realized my Macbook Pro only has 1 gig of RAM so I'm getting a couple of 2 gig chips today. I didn't know about the Core 2 Duo requirement until yesterday so I was relieved so see I have a 2.16 C2D, probably one of the first MBP models that had one.

I'm looking forward to upgrading when things are not such a mess. My Mac experience started with the Lisa so there's something cool about keeping up with the latest version of the OS.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

smax posted:

Be sure your computer can handle it. The first generation Core 2 Duo computers (I think the 2.16 is one) can only use 3GB of memory. You can throw 4GB in there, it's just not going to be able to recognize it all. It's a chipset limitation, I believe.

Fire up System Information and see if it's 2x512MB or 1x1GB. If it's the latter, save yourself the money and grab just one 2GB stick.

I was already aware of this but with RAM so cheap I decided I'd sacrifice a gig to gain a gig. This MBP cost me $1 so another $45 doesn't bother me much.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In anticipation of my Lion upgrade I put two 2 gig RAM chips in my 2.16 Core 2 Duo MBP and it recognized all four gigs. I was sure this model couldn't recognize more than 3.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'd like to do my upgrade but I haven't gotten around to transitioning Quicken to my PC. I want to jump in and start learning the new OS before someone at work brings in a Lion machine and needs help.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If I want to start with a clean install is it possible to use my existing Time Machine Backup to restore files from? I'm thinking that when I go to Lion from SL it's time to start with a clean slate to minimize problems.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been clinging to Thoth as my newsreader because the Newswatcher style is the only kind I really like. Is there anything like this that will run under Lion?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If I decide to wipe my MBP and start with a fresh Lion install can I use a Time Machine backup to restore files from, or does that only work within the original install the TM was created with?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm only interested in if I can pick individual files from the TM after doing a clean install of Lion. Right now TM is my only backup of the files on my Mac so that would be my source for putting files back in place after the Lion install.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Every time I get the urge to go through with my Lion upgrade I read this thread until it passes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

TealShark posted:

In Mountain Lion, if you open the File menu and hold the option key, Save As becomes an available option.

Yayyyyyy!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

IUG posted:

The dog is really hoping you say no, so he can have it for himself.

That dog has already eaten the last cookie and is asking you as a courtesy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I had to hook a new MacMini up to a 50" flat panel and as usual the image didn't quite fit the screen and the menubar was cut off.

Then I found the "underscan" slider. :stare:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My home mac has been a Macbook Pro C2D 2.16, running Snow Leopard. I held off upgrading the OS because I'd lose the use of too many apps. I have a Windows 7 desktop PC for gaming and general web surfing.

I was looking at Fusion and Parallels and saw that Fusion can run Snow Leopard as a VM, and that they can use a Boot Camp partition. Are there any significant differences between these two products? If you use a BC partition for a VM does the VM run from the partition or is it a one time deal where it uses the partition to create a VM and then they become separate?

I like the idea of being able to run from BC or a VM at will, but if they are separate that's not really an option.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Cyne posted:

StuffIt was a Mac institution for a long-rear end time, I'm not surprised that there are a few people still hanging onto it. Last time I installed it (which was years ago) it was already gross and bloated - can't imagine what it's like these days...

Maybe you just need to try Stuffit... DELUXE!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

You might want to sit down, it could be a shock. Also wow, someone else on this earth who still uses a 3,1 MBP. :hf:

I'm going from a 15" MBP c2d 2.16 with SL to a new Retina 13" MBP with 16 gigs of RAM and a 256 gig SSD. I think it will take some getting used to.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm going from an old MBP with SL to a new Mavericks MBP. Most of my old software (CS2, Quicken, etc.) is not going to work on the new machine. Is it crazy to turn my old MBP into a VM and run it in Fusion for a while until I get things sorted out? It seems like it would be easier than having to keep both laptops in action while I transition things like my Quicken data to the Windows version. Paragon has a free piece of software for turning the old one into a VM that Fusion can use.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

VMware's site seemed to show it as a guest os option. Maybe I read it wrong.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Mercurius posted:

It is kind of a guest option because of server but it'll complain at you if you try and run a 10.6 VM.

Here are the options on the latest version of Fusion (provided the attachment works):

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163755/vmware_fusion_update_lets_users_virtualize_leopard_snow_leopard.html

I might as well try it and see what happens.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm setting up the CEO's new 15" MBP. He brought his old Lion MBP in for me to migrate from. I updated all the Mac software on the old laptop and started migration assistant. Connected the two with a crossover cable. Booted up the new Mavericks MBP for the first time and went through initial setup. Just after the data transfer screen where it shows the security code on both, I hit Continue on the old MBP and the new one says it's looking for things to import and then on the new one the screen goes black and it loops back to the first setup screen where you select the language.

I tried it a few times with the same result, restarted the old MBP with the same result. Did the usual permissions/disk repair stuff. Not sure where to go from here. The old one seems to be working perfectly and the new one is as new as they come.

EDIT: Rebooted both of them a few times and now it's working.

EDIT2: All done and I still have my job! :toot:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 30, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BobHoward posted:

What the article doesn't say is that you are going to have to find a way to get precisely that version of VMWare Fusion, and no other. Permitting installation of Snow Leopard client was considered an unintentional bug and they removed it from the very next Fusion patch.

Bugger! Well thank you for explaining that. I won't waste time on it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I tried using Migration Assistant during first start to move from my SL MBP to my new 13" MBP but it kept crashing. Fine. So I updated my Time Machine backup on the old MBP and used that as the source. Everything seemed to work fine.

When I checked out the new MBP "accounts" section it had a weird split between my actual email accounts (Ex: my home ISP) and "Notes" accounts for each one. I did have notes on my SL MBP but they were just Notes. They didn't seem associated with an account. I could not login to verify any of the notes accounts, my credentials were rejected even though they're correct.

I started Mail and it did an import then said the info was damaged. Restarted Mail and it imported 4000 items and I saw the names of my storage folders. Mail opens... no storage folders. The primary mail folders are there but junk mail has been mixed in with all of them and flagged as new, mail going back to 2006. My three folders for mail storage are gone.

How can I start the mail setup process over? And what's with the weird notes accounts?

EDIT: I'd turned on iCloud syncing to see what it would do and it was hanging Calendar. Turned off iCloud syncing and now all my calendar items and contacts are gone. What a clusterfuck.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 1, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Mercurius posted:

I think that's to do with having a different username vs actual email address. I had the same thing happen with my work Office 365 account until I realised it'd set up the email address in Calendar, Contacts and Notes as firstname.lastname@company.com and Mail/Reminders as username@company.com. When I switched them all over to firstname.lastname@company.com it worked properly.

Edit: you can delete your credentials from your Login Keychain if you need to through Keychain Access in /Applications/Utilities.

That doesn't seem to be it.

What's the best way to just start over? Wipe the laptop and begin again with the Time Machine migration?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

What's the best way to return this MBP to out of the box state so I can redo migrating from my old laptop?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I can't remember who told me that doing the internet OS reinstall would restore my MBP to the out of the box state, but that person was wrong. I expect I have to wipe the drive completely and reinstall to try and unfuck the crappy migration from my old laptop.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mayodreams posted:

An internet reinstall will give you a fresh install granted you wipe the drive using disk util after boot and before running the OS installer, but not automatically.

That's my task for this morning. Live and learn!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Goddamn mail didn't import properly again. I can even see the names of my "On this Mac" saved mail folders during the initial migration but they're nowhere to be seen. My notes are also all gone. The Accounts pane has each of my ISP mailboxes split in two: one that looks normal and one that has Notes checked off but says it can't connect.

I rebuilt each mailbox on the source MBP to make sure the indexes were healthy. I've spent hours on this now and am ready to just put this drat laptop in a drawer and forget about it.

Also it seems to insist on bringing over all my old Apps whether or not they will work under Mavericks. So CS2 gets migrated in full despite not working. I thought it was supposed to skip anything that won't run.

EDIT: When I first hit the button to collect mail it said "5 of 5" but nothing arrived. Click it again "10 of 10" with the same result. When I got to "25 of 25" I stopped.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 3, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

What's the best method to manually bring my email over from my old MBP? The basic accounts transferred but my "On my Mac" mail folders did not, nor did my Notes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Where's the setting for system sleep? All I see is one for display sleep.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

geera posted:

It's the "Computer Sleep" slider right above "Display Sleep" under Energy Saver settings.

There's only a display sleep slider. I think I said that in my post, hence my confusion over the missing system sleep slider.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

carry on then posted:

Could you take a screenshot? I want to see this glitch for myself.

In your face, Flanders!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Does it do the same if you switch to the Battery tab? What kinda machine, a new retina MBP?

New 13" rMBP. Same on Battery. Goddammit Apple just give me the goddamn slider.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Yes, but it also had the best theme:

Also a ton of silly iPod themes, but who cares about those.

It's a shame that Panic finally took down the theme gallery. There was some amazing/awful stuff in there.

I forgot about pop up window tabs! :monocle:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm a bit embarrassed that I've never used Automator for anything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Snowsemite?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

BobHoward posted:

You need to get pristine copies from another source. There is no way to repair apps damaged that way as the data stored in the resource fork is gone, not merely mangled.

Back in the old days I just used a tool like Filebuddy to set the resource fork on files that had lost their info. If you can find out what the resource fork is supposed to be (Ex: PICT for pict files) you might be able to find a tool to set it for you. Then the old OS will recognize the file type again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'd like to finally get offsite backups running on my Mac, mostly to protect my iPhoto library. I tried getting iCloud integration working when I switched from my last Mac but it was a disaster where twice all my contacts/calendar/photos/etc got wiped. For someone who's been using Macs as long as they've existed I found the process as clear as mud and the results just as appealing.

Will the byzantine folder structure of the iPhoto library be read properly by something like Crashplan? If I have to restore will the library work properly or will I have to somehow drain the photos out of that mess and start from scratch?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This is really good info. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

SuperSix posted:

Is there any way to make the OSX interface more ~minimal instead of installing a bunch of tools?