Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sold, nothing to see here..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you're interested, I can wait a few days, I'm not in a terrible rush.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It looks to me like I'm missing 20 gigs of space on my new Macbook Pro..my user folder is reported as 83.55GB in size, but the sum of all of the folders inside is 62GB. I've had the computer for less than a week, the only thing I did was copy my iTunes library off of my dead black Macbook's hard drive. Is there any way to force a re-scan of my free space, maybe some files didn't get deleted properly or something?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm on a big organization kick and I'm turning my attention to my iTunes library. I didn't care in the past, but a decent portion of my library is either untagged or incompletely tagged. I tried googling, but almost all the posts I found were either really old or for Windows software. I've got ~6500mp3's, is MusicBrainz Picard: http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard What I'm looking for to go through my library, update incomplete information, tag files without them, etc?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking to switch out my 2011 macbook pro's hard drive to a larger model. Can I just pop my current drive into a usb enclosure and install from that? Lion didn't come with discs so I'm not sure how this works.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I logged into my server via SMB using root yesterday because Finder was acting up, and now it's defaulting to root every time I connect which is screwing up some programs that need permission to modify the files I put on there. How do I tell finder to go back to connecting as Guest?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
edit: nevermind, got the software I needed to work..

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 8, 2012

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the easiest way to switch the default language in large group of mkv files (all the languages need to switch from Spanish to English. Alternatively I'd be fine with just removing the spanish language track entirely as I included it by mistake.)?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

This worked perfectly (and way easier than anticipated), thanks a bunch!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to automate the removal of RAW files in iPhoto? When I'm importing files from my camera I'd prefer to put jpegs into iPhoto for quick uploading for family & friends, and put the RAWs into Lightroom so I can begin to learn postprocessing. Right now I'm importing to Lightroom first, then to iPhoto, then manually selecting every other photo in the iPhoto imports and removing them, but I'm hoping there's an easier way I'm just missing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I move an email in my gmail account to a different 'label' using Mail it keeps it in the inbox but with that label's tag on it; I don't remember it doing this before I upgraded to 10.8. Is there a way to set it to just straight move it to the new label without keeping it tagged as being in the inbox as well?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I recently bought an Android tablet and am trying to get everything between my Macbook, iPhone & tablet to sync up as much as possible. I'm struggling with calendars. I can see all of the google calendars in iCal but all of the guides I've found to get the iCal calendars pushed to google's Calendar seem to be outdated or just don't work. Is my best option here to export all of my Calendars and upload them to Google, then remove them from Calendar? Will that mess up my iCloud syncing?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

My calendars are synced across platforms and all I did was add the Google account to my calendar (on your Macbook Calendar app, go to preferences -> accounts). Maybe I did something else weird and I don't remember it now but try that.

It's definitely in there. It's been over an hour and nothing's popped up in my android calendar app. Tried restarting, nothing happened. I must have something unchecked somewhere..

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SeventySeven posted:

Try this support article: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/2670120?hl=en&ref_topic=2586567

http://www.google.com/sync/index.html is pretty comprehensive too.

I also just introduced an Android device in to my previously all iOS environment. Personally I found it easier to just let Google handle the syncing and skip iCloud altogether for contacts and calendars. Only weird thing I've run in to is my work machine, running Lion, seems to get some events being duplicated. Whatever the problem was it's been fixed in Mavericks calendar app.

Appreciate the links, but none of these instructions are helping at all. It seems like they're for people who have multiple Google calendars, not multiple iCal calendars. I think I'm just going to convert everything to Google calendars, have that push them to my Apple products, and let iCloud back everything else up, because I've tried on my phone & Macbook now and can't get my iCal calendars onto the Android device at all.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just installed a new SSD in my 2011 MacBook Pro and now that I've installed Maverick, I get NSURLErrorDomain 1012 every time I try to check for updates. How do I fix this?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is it still a pain in the butt to burn bootable DVDs from ISOs in OSX? I've got no spare flash drives but a bunch of 8gig DVDs sitting around doing nothing and I'd like to make some boot discs.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've never once had an issue with this since switching to OS X with 10.4, so I'm not sure what sort of problems you've encountered. It's worked every time I need to do it.

poo poo, am I thinking of the other way around where getting them on flash drives was a pain? The last time I worried about setting up bootable stuff was when my windows PC died and I eventually just copied the ISO to the flash drive I was using and making it bootable on a friend's copy of windows because I just couldn't get it to boot otherwise..

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kode54 posted:

When it comes down to PC-bootable CDs and DVDs, you can pretty much just:

dd if=the.iso of=/dev/disk# bs=2048

Where the # is the number of the volume currently mounted from the flash drive you are trying to write to. A lot easier than futzing with random tools which format the drive FAT32 and copy the files over manually. It may even work for Mac-bootable CDs and DVDs, but I haven't needed to boot any media on a Mac in ages. In fact, the last time I needed to update a Macbook from 10.5 to 10.6 in the field, with no optical media handy (and even if I did have a burnable DVD, the Macbook only had a combo drive capable of burning CDs), I just shrunk the root partition on the Macbook, created a new HFS+ Journaled partition of about 8GB, restored the install media DMG to it, then ran the installer. (This process is 100% necessary, as 10.6 and older were not designed to install from downloadable packages, so they need to be able to find the install media during and after the boot process.)

Oh nice, thanks! This is one of those subjects where most of the search results don't work or have info from ~2009.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know why, after completing large downloads in Safari, the download status bar doesn't go away? The only way I've found to get rid of it is to restart the computer.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Pivo posted:

Force-killing Finder or Dock will prolly work too.

Dunno why it happens though.

Weirdly enough, force-killing didn't work for me. If I drag it out of the dock and then back in, it also fixes it. Very irritating.

edit:

dik-dik posted:

Yeah I've had a similar thing happen with my Applications folder after updating an app from the app store. Goes away when I force kill the Dock.

Huh..I'll try force-killing again next time it pops up. It's been an ongoing problem and I've mostly ignored it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For some weird reason iTunes refuses to follow the color scheme I set in the General preferences. I want Granite, but when I set it to that, iTunes sets to blue. When I switch the settings to Blue, everything goes that way except iTunes, which goes to Granite. ideas?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What software would let me batch update the default audio track for ~20 mkv files? I ripped them all at the same time but I guess I selected the wrong audio track at the time.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What software would I use to batch update the default audio track on a bunch of MKVs? Nothing needs to be changed except the default audio track.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I know I've asked this before, but what's the procedure to create a bootable usb drive to install Windows 7 on a standard PC from a Macbook? I googled it and the instructions I followed spit out an unrecognizable drive.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Open bootcamp assistant and follow onscreen instructions.

This doesn't help at all. I have a Windows 7 ISO, stored on my Macbook, that I want to install on a PC that has a new hard drive. Bootcamp does nothing for me here; it doesn't recognize the ISO when mounted.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Clearly you didn't follow the onscreen instructions.

What onscreen instructions? Here's a screenshot of what happens every time I try it. If you're just going to be a jackass don't bother replying.

edit for more content: The last time I had to do this (with the same ISO) I used Terminal and it worked perfectly.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 16, 2014

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mercurius posted:

You need to plug a USB drive that's large enough to have the ISO put onto it in first or the installer has nothing to make a bootable thing from. There should be another option above the 'Download the latest Windows support software from Apple' thing there about making a USB installer. Is your USB stick being detected in disk utility?

Yep; I've actually tried 2 different USB drives, a 16 & a 64gb. Both show up in Finder/Disk Utility, but I don't see any other options in the Boot Camp Assistant. I've tried restarting after plugging each one in just in case, too.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kode54 posted:

This is just a guess here, but maybe, just maybe, he has an internal optical drive, and Boot Camp Assistant won't do the ISO thing with that?

Well, that explains why I don't have that option, it's a 2011 Macbook Pro. That's a stupid distinction to make.

flosofl posted:

Do you have an integrated Smart Drive? If so, you can't use BootCamp to to create a bootable USB. (well, you can but you have to edit a plist file, Google will help you with that).

I'll start googling for this. Thanks for the help!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just opened up Photos and it seems to have migrated everything over from iPhoto. Can I get rid of iPhoto safely now? It'd be nice to free up an extra 1.7 gigs of space, but I don't want to accidentally delete any of my photos or break something in the process.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rnr posted:

Yes you can get rid of it. No, you will not save any noticeable space. Both programs reference the same photos.

Well, deleting the iPhoto App should save me the 1.7 gigs of space it's taking up at least.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 26, 2015

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TACD posted:

So hey, I'm hoping somebody can help me with a software recommendation.

I'm looking for some kind of cataloging software that will let me create a little database of general crap I own. Ideally I'd like to be able to just scan the barcodes of my books, DVDs etc with my phone (or enter stuff manually, e.g. for electronics) and have it populate a cloud library for me. I've found a few different options but I don't know if there's a goon favourite I should know about.

Cheers!

https://delicious-monster.com Worked fantastic for me back when I was using it just for games and movies, and it looks like it's only gotten better from there. I'd try the demo to see if it'll meet your needs.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the easiest way to convert flac files to MP3 in OS X?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any N64 emulator that works for modern OS X? Looking to replay a few games and would rather not dig up the system from my basement.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Openemu has N64 support. It's kinda wonky with some titles -- even Mario Kart 64 has some problems. However it's still probably the best you'll find right now.

Thanks for this! N64 emulation has always been iffy but Shadows of the Empire is running well which is all I care about at the moment. This also looks like a great front-end for other systems too which is a nice bonus.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the best Paint equivalent for OS X? I just need to add a red line to a screenshot.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, well there we go, thank you!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I tried installing this driver to get my 360 controller working on my 2011 MacBook Pro (2.3ghz i5, 10.10.4) and after working the first time after plugging the controller in, it's now non responsive when plugged in (though it shows up in the control panel) and when I unplug it, the computer goes into a hard reboot. I've got no idea how to troubleshoot this or uninstall the driver; anyone dealt with this by chance?

http://www.tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The rear end Stooge posted:

The version on TattieBogle's site hasn't been updated for a couple of years and doesn't work very well on Yosemite. Grab an updated version from here, it's what I use and it works perfectly.

https://github.com/d235j/360Controller/releases

I think you can just install this version over the older one and it will work, but I don't remember with 100% certainty.

Oh well that makes sense; googling didn't pull up the github release so I wasn't sure if the web build was abandoned or what. Installing the updated driver fixed the problem instantly, thank you!

Pivo posted:

Well, let's look at his build script

code:
echo "** File contents **"
echo "*** DONE ***"
Unload them with, what is it, sudo kextunload, then find Wireless360Controller.kext and delete it, 360Controller.kext and delete it, and WirelessGamingReceiver.kext as well. Also delete the prefpane from your System Preferences by option-clicking it and clicking the Remove option... if the .prefPane file is still around after that, you can feel free to delete that after too.

That's weird though, I use the same driver and it works great for me.

Yeah I'm still not sure what exactly happened, it worked totally fine the first time I plugged in the controller, but after unplugging, it never worked again and killed the computer every time I unplugged it. Thanks for your post though, this is good info regarding manually uninstalling stuff that I wasn't aware of before!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm noticing that Export to Photos from Mail doesn't seem to be exporting all photos that are sent to me. My mom sent me two emails from some family gatherings, one with 25 and one with 13 attachments. I exported the 1st email and only 21 photos showed up in Photos, and only 11 of the 13 from the second email. Anyone else noticing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Does the same thing happen if you export them into a folder and then try import the entire folder?

Nope, that works totally fine and is and what I ended up doing.

edit: I tried clearing the photos from Photos and re-exporting from Mail. I got 21 photos, then 23, then 23 again, but never the full 25. Saving to a folder and moving from there works fine every time.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 29, 2015