Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I use the colored file labels quite a bit and I'm having this box randomly come up sometimes when I apply a color label to files. It's not every time, and it doesn't appear to make any difference where the file is located or what type of file, or the permissions on the file, it's just random.

I'm not sure the reason for it, since even if I click cancel the file still gets the colored label on it.

Also is there a way to stop apps from closing when they have no active windows? Preview and textedit keep closing and it's annoying me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Xandu posted:

Did you disable indicator lights? That's probably why they're closing when there's no active windows.

No, I've got indicator lights on. It's just textedit and preview, and sometimes textedit will stay open, but not always.

Nothing else seems to do this.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

unruly posted:

This is intended behavior with apps that support it (surprise, both Preview and TextEdit do): http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/8#process-model

Basically: if your system is looking for RAM, an App can tell the system that it's available for shutdown because it's done doing what it needs to, and it's otherwise idle.

There are two different variations of this, both outlined in the article. It's a pretty neat feature, but like the rest of Lion, quite a shocking change of pace for the above average user.

It just annoys me a bit how they always shut down every time. If it really was because the system needed RAM I'd get it, but I've got 8 gigs with 3.5 gigs free right now and it does it anyway.

I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I'm looking for some software that will allow me to join together video files of different resolutions and codecs without having to sit through long-rear end import processes, and then encode the whole thing on export. I'm not looking to edit the videos, just join them together.

Any ideas?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

different resolutions and formats -- I'm no expert, but I feel like you'll have to reencode afterward.

Yeah I know, I want to reencode afterwards. I just can't find anything that will let me put files together without sitting through a long import process. I don't know if there is a specific term for "video editor that doesn't import the files" though so my searches aren't working out so well.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I had an idea and right now I'm using Toast to make a dvd of some videos to test it out. I'm hoping the resulting disk image will put all the videos together in one thing so I can use toast to make a dvd and then rip the dvd and get one video file with the videos in them.

The disk image is processing now so I'll see if that actually works.

Also, I found kdenlive which says "Mix different media without prior import: Any Video, audio or image files supported by Kdenlive." which sounds like what I'm looking for. Anybody ever use this?

To install it I'd have to install xcode and macports which I'm not too thrilled about doing without knowing if kdenlive is any good or does what I want.

edit - no, toast gives each video it's own title, that's not going to work.

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 22, 2011

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Gunjin posted:

Probably costs more than you want to spend, but Premiere Pro supports multi codec timelines.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/premiere-pro-cs5-feature-tour/expanded-native-tapeless-workflows-/

I don't think I want to spend that much just so I can make some stupid videos. I'm thinking I'm going to have to use Windows here and see what apps are available there.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

japtor posted:

Have you tried QuickTime Player? I think one of the big updates for it in Lion is being able to snip together random crap. You'll probably need Perian and Flip4Mac to handle other formats, but once it can open random stuff, "Add Clip to End" might do what you need.

Oh, wow, it does. I didn't even think of checking out Quicktime, last I used Quicktime X there was like, no features.

Thanks!

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

NerdPolice posted:

Don't know what is going on but ever since Lion I've been getting pinwheels OFTEN. I've thought it was FireFox but even using other browsers I still get pinwheels and also realized it was happening in practically every other application. Is there some sort of magic that I should know about? I did a clean install of Lion about a month ago and never had any sort of issue similar to this with Snow Leopard.

The fact it happens often makes me think it is the HDD but it is less than 6 months old, never had issues before, passes all test utilities I can throw at it with flying colours.

Is there some sort of cache I can clear out or secret Lion option I can turn off?

Do you have an external hard drive or multiple hard drives in your computer? This happens to me when an external drive spins down and then it will pinwheel when it spins the HD back up. For some reason there is a lot of things in Lion that make the hard drive spin up, seems to happen way more than Snow Leopard ever did.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

Is the execute bit necessary on Info.plist?

Unrelated:
Does VMWare Fusion work fine under Mountain Lion?

Version 4.1.3 seems to work fine, just started up my Win7 VM without problems.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

Ugh.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Even with MPlayerX, when some movies have a lot of stuff happening on screen (fast-moving action sequences, for example) MPlayerX falls apart and goes to poo poo. It gets choppy, sound goes bad, then it refuses to pause and eventually has to be Force Quit.

I've had Activity Monitor up and running while I'm doing this, and nothing out of the ordinary pops up. Any other thoughts?

This exact thing happens to me when I'm playing something from a USB hard drive while doing something else that's disk IO intensive on the same drive.

My guess is whatever you are storing them on either has something else accessing it a lot at the same time, or is too slow/possibly going bad.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I had a successful Time Machine backup an hour ago, and just now I just got a popup saying the backup has failed because there isn't enough space left. For some reason, Time Machine wants to back up 75 GB of data. I have no idea what it's backing up because there is no way 75 gigs of stuff has changed in one hour.

So is there any way to see what it's trying to backup or why it all of a sudden thinks it needs to back up 75 gigs?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah I looked at the options and all of the excludes are the same as they always are, and I haven't done anything that would cause 75 gigs of new or changed data in one hour.

edit - I don't know what the gently caress happened but I cleared up enough free space on the drive and then it did the backup and according to the logs it decided it had 75 gigs to back up, and started the back up and ended up backing up like 200 megs, and is now complete.

I don't know what that was about, seems like some weird bug or something, not actually 75 gigs to backup.

Samuel L. ACKSYN fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 26, 2013

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I have a bunch of data DVDs (like 50-60) and I want to copy them all to a hard drive. I'm basically just looking for an app or automator workflow thing or something where I put in a disc, it makes a directory using the disk name as the folder name and copies everything to that folder and then ejects it and does this again and again.

I've found a few things like this but they are geared towards ripping video DVDs and I couldn't really get them to work right. These are just data DVDs, they aren't movies or encrypted or anything like that, and I don't need anything encoded or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Anyone use PCSX-Reloaded?

I'm using the latest version (pcsxr-90608-macosx) from http://consoleemu.com/emulator/pcsx-reloaded#latest.

Here's the software renderer -

and here's the OpenGL renderer -

OGL isn't drawing those black bars (which I'm assuming are supposed to be there) and instead you get to see a bunch of orange poo poo that flashes and it's pretty annoying. It's not just with that one game either, it happens in Resident Evil 2 during cutscenes (where there should be black bars) and other games. Seems like whenever there is supposed to be black bars in a game it's not rendering them and it ends up looking like that. The software renderer works fine but obviously doesn't look as good.

I've tried different versions of PCSX-R and they all do that, and I've messed with all of the OGL plugin settings without success. I don't have any graphics problems in any other emulators or games or anything so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Does anyone possibly have any ideas?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

crazysim posted:

This probably won't help you but I would love to bring this to your attention. It's slightly related but it talks about how Crash Bandicoot was developed and a crazy Playstation development trick that is probably responsible for your predicament. The rest of the posts are great too.

http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/04/making-crash-bandicoot-part-3/

I've read that before and it's awesome.

But I have this problem in other games as well.

It's really weird

Here's the opening movie of Resident Evil 3 -

It flashes quickly between totally orange bars (those are supposed to be black) and the bottom image. You see the blue poo poo and everything at the top of the second image? That's from Crash Bandicoot 2, which I was trying before RE3.

Whatever the issue is it still has graphics from other games in memory or something? I don't know how this poo poo works.

I swear this worked fine at some point. Did any of the OS X updates gently caress around with OpenGL or something?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone wanna recommend blu-ray playback software for Macs?

If you're looking for a free solution you can use MakeMKV with VLC to play blurays. Here's how to do it. Also, here's the free monthly beta serial for it.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

AtrociousToaster posted:

Anybody else use a Dualshock 4 over bluetooth on their Mac? On my rMBP after updating to Yosemite I started having trouble pairing it, it will detect it but when I hit pair it just spins forever and never connects. I updated to the 10.10.1 seed because I was having horrible issues with WPA2 enterprise networks constantly dropping (which it fixed, thank god). Hoped that the bluetooth issue would be fixed by that as well but it wasn't. Anyone having similar issues or got any ideas?

I use a DS4 and I haven't had any problems connecting it on Yosemite, but I have noticed it seems to sometimes miss/drop button presses when I'm playing over Bluetooth, which it definitely wasn't doing before Yosemite.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

so uh why the hell this arrow so big

It's a alias on my desktop, every other one has a normal sized arrow except for Gamepad Companion. I've tried deleting it and redoing the alias, but it didn't work.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

OSX autocorrect tries to be very out of the way and it makes simple configuration really hard.

A coworker asked me how to remove a word he accidentally set as a correct spelling and the only way I could find was to manually open ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary and edit it.

You just highlight the word and right click and choose "Unlearn spelling"

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Does anyone know why Wine 2.0 hasn't showed up in Homebrew yet?

Homebrew is still on 1.8.6 stable and 2.0 rc6 for the devel version, when Wine 2.0 final has been out for over a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/9238

@xrisk: It looks like Mike is still going back-and-forth with the Wine developers in those two tickets, with responses as recently as this morning. So, it's still being figured out. As expected, they're resisting merging the patches upstream (for some seemingly good reasons, too).

Ah, ok.