Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I've got a few things installed that say they support growl, but none of them are getting registered with it, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Sparrow Lite, Twitter, Adium... none of these show up under Growl Applications. I downloaded The Simplest Notifier Evar, and that did work, so I'm at a loss as to how to make the rest work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

brc64 posted:

I've got a few things installed that say they support growl, but none of them are getting registered with it, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Sparrow Lite, Twitter, Adium... none of these show up under Growl Applications. I downloaded The Simplest Notifier Evar, and that did work, so I'm at a loss as to how to make the rest work.
Aside from possibly being the wrong place to ask, I figured it out. Apps that I had running when I installed Growl don't register themselves until after I close and reopen them. So ignore me. I'm still in excited newbie mode.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, Chrome used the standard MacOS "full screen" UI icon, but they implemented their own fullscreen routine which was just confusing. They removed it and I guess now they implemented it properly.
I wonder if Firefox has any plans on implementing this. They don't seem terribly fond of taking advantage of platform-specific UI features. I would also love if there was a way to have different tabs show up in App Expose.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Seems like more of a Camino thing, but that's soon to be dead, so...

There was a build of Firefox (I think... it's been a while, and it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore) that supported Windows 7's taskbar preview for each tab. Mouse over the taskbar icon, get a preview of each tab. Click the preview, go directly to that tab. It may have been in a beta version, or some custom build somebody hacked together... but like I said, it doesn't really seem like they care for OS-specific UI things.

I just want to stick Safari, Firefox and Chrome in a big blender and have the perfect browser.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ndrake posted:

This is on a new macbook air that came with lion. The wifi bug is pretty widely described - basically when you wake the computer it sucks at finding a known connection and you often have to choose it yourself.

I have had my new MBA for almost a week now and have hopped between a couple of access points, but I haven't run into anything like that yet. In fact, I've been pretty impressed by how quickly it connects/reconnects compared the Vista laptop I used to have.

I will say that I've had a couple of times where I've had to reboot due to weird poo poo happening, though, and I haven't even had this thing for a week. The most recent one was yesterday, where it stopped registering clicks (but multitouch swipe actions and the keyboard worked fine). I quit all my running applications and even restarted Finder, but it was no good. Ultimately had to reboot.

Tangent: How do you "click" a button in a dialog box that isn't the default button? I can tab between them, and highlight one, but pressing Enter seems to just hit the default button. In Windows, I'd use space to press the selected button, but that didn't work for me yesterday.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I asked about this in the hardware thread, but maybe it's more of a software question, I don't know. What does everybody think of the Time Capsule? Specifically, is Time Machine poo poo, awesome, or merely okay? And how much flexibility is there when configuring the wireless? Is it pretty barebones, or do they have some advanced options like static dhcp leases and port forwarding?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Without much ado posted:

I realize I'm a bit late to the game but I thought I'd chip in. At least in Leopard and SL space was the appropriate button to hit. I'm still on SL, it would be really annoying if they changed that particular behavior for Lion.

And as was also mentioned, some programs let you hit the first letter of the dialog option, or command + the first letter, it varies widely.

Well, given that the system refused to acknowledge actual clicks, I wouldn't be surprised if space was supposed to work, but didn't for some related reason. I haven't bothered to test it since then.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Terpfen posted:

I've never had a single crash in any 10.x.0 version. Ever.

I've had my MacBook Air for less than a week, and I've had all kinds of things crash.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

wwb posted:

Any recommendations for something that will function as a DLNA server on 10.7? I thought iTunes had the capability, but it appears to only be a client. Any suggestions?

I'm interested in this as well. My wife and I are trying our best to centralize our media for streaming throughout the house (PS3 in the living room, Apple TV with XBMC in the bedroom, computers in each of our office..), and while I have a Linux server that's working well for video, my wife greatly prefers managing her music library using iTunes.

So I guess we'll keep her music on her Mac Mini, but everything else on the Linux box, but we need a way access that music everywhere else. I know ATV can talk to iTunes somehow, but I'm pretty sure the PS3 can't. A DLNA server would probably work best.

Edit: 10.7 here as well

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Installed 10.7.1. It took all of about 3 minutes from download to finish rebooting. Is this how Apple OS updates normally work? :psyduck:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

You guys have malformed hands or something? Just rest all your fingers on the pad then move fingers down and thumb up, boom.

I can understand it being a pain if you've got long nails or something.

Okay, my wife is starting to sperg out a little about her trackpad now that she's back to using Firefox. She wants two finger swipes to be back and forward like they are in Safari, but there doesn't seem to be a way to make that happen with the normal trackpad preferences. The closest you can do is set "Swipe between pages" to "Swipe with two or three fingers", but that breaks her 3 finger swipe between full screen apps, and apparently 4 fingers to do that is unacceptable.

I tried installing BetterTouchTool on my Air when I first got it, and it worked well for a bit, but then it got all crashy on me. Is there something similar that works well in Lion?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Apps posted:

BTT should be 100% compatible and stable on Lion.

Also it solves your problem exactly.

I decided to give it another go on my Air (before attempting to configure it for my wife), and I saw the suggestion to disable the gestures in the Trackpad Preferences to avoid possible conflicts and crashes. I've done that, but some of the gestures in BTT just outright are not working. For example, trying to get a 3 finger swipe left and right to move spaces, or two finger swipe to do cmd+left. Those aren't working. Other gestures are, though so I don't know wtf.

Edit: Okay, I think the "Move left/right a space" predefined action is just broken.. changing that to just control+left/right fixed that. But two finger swiping isn't getting picked up at all, even using the live view. It just doesn't detect the gesture. Firefox will just scroll left and right when I test it out in there.

Double Edit: Finally figured it out... had to go into advanced trackpad settings in BTT and lower the two finger swipe sensitivity to get it to trigger.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 22, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I have a silly question, but I can't figure out exactly what to search for to find the answer. In my notification area, I have a an icon that only has one option... "Sync Now". I'm not really sure what it's for. I have my Google account setup in Mail and iCal, so I'm wondering if it's related to that, but each of those apps seem to have their own options for synchronization, so I'm not sure. I'd like to just remove it, but I don't know how.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Twice now my spaces have gotten moved around, usually when I'm dragging a window and something funky happens that I can't figure out how to reproduce. Right now, when I go into Mission Control, I have:

Dashboard - Desktop 1 - Desktop 3 - Desktop 2

Short of deleting Desktop 3 and recreating it, is there some way I can put it back on the far right where it belongs? I understand that this is supposed to be easier in 10.7.2, but I wish I could figure out what's going on in 10.7.1...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I'm finally starting to get used to command+enter for URL completion now and Chrome has to gently caress it all up by using control+enter instead (but it uses command+t for new tab...) That's my biggest gripe about Chrome for Mac so far.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

japtor posted:

Who needs LDAP authentication?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/26/mac_osx_lion_security_hole/
:stare:

I read that a few times and I still don't understand what's happening. It reads like Lion is letting people access the LDAP directory without verifying credentials, but I don't see how that would be possible. Authentication happens on the directory itself, not the connecting client, right? I must be misunderstanding the problem.

(Note: I don't really have any experience with LDAP beyond Active Directory, which is a whole different beast)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Is there anything as good as the Windows picture viewer for viewing a bunch of photos in a single folder? Preview sucks because I can't easily change the view settings and it doesn't (that I can tell) let me navigate between photos. I know there's some gallery app thing, but it looks like it wants me to put the photos in a library, and I don't want that, either.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

I just use the built-in viewer in Finder; go inside the folder, Command-A to select all, hit the spacebar, then hit the four-pane window icon in the following window to switch to a gallery view.

Should work in Lion and Snow Leopard, but I like the old pageup/pagedown arrows in Snow Leopard better, though.

That did exactly what I wanted, thanks!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to Lion and god drat, I don't know how I ever lived in a world without Mission Control. On the flip side, Launch Pad is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever seen, and makes no sense on anything but mobile devices like iPad/iPod.

As somebody whose first real introduction to OSX is Lion, what does Mission Control bring to the party that didn't exist before? From what I've read, it's an evolution of Expose, which has been around for a while, right?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Karsh posted:

Check your iSync and MobileMe preferences. Or just cmd+drag it away and forget it ever appeared.
This is a thing you can do? This is wonderful!

My wife has been having an issue with her Mac Mini recently (it's happened twice now since I replaced our router with an Airport Extreme). She'll be connected to the wifi, but unable to access anything. Even the Airport Utility won't see the Airport, but the indicator up at the top shows she's connected to the SSID.

When this happens, I just power cycle the Airport Extreme and she comes back to life, but my MacBook Air doesn't have this problem. It'll be working fine for me and broken for her. Any clue what's going on?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Softcox posted:

Takes a bit of getting used to coming from Apple Mail but holy crap it works better with Gmail labels etc. The gestures are super nice too.

(no I don't work for them or anything)

For some reason I haven't figured out, occasionally Apple Mail will open and tell me I've got mail (duplicating the unread count from Sparrow in the dock). Is there something I need to do to tell Apple Mail to gently caress off? It doesn't happen often, so I almost wonder if I'm accidentally doing something to launch it...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Softcox posted:

That's very odd. Does it just open in the main window, or composing a message?

I will hear the "woosh" sound or whatever that tells me I've got mail, and when I look, Mail is open on the dock. The actual window doesn't appear until I click the dock icon, though. Like it's launching in the background just so it can check my mail.

ripburger posted:

This sounds like pretty strange behavior, but the first thing I would do is go into the Preferences for Apple Mail, and under General make sure that you have your default mail reader set to Sparrow. Odds are, whenever you go to compose a new message by clicking on mail link in a browser or something, it's calling up Mail to compose, thus opening the app and downloading all your new messages.

I just checked that. Sparrow is the default client. I did change "check for new messages" to manually, though, so we'll see how that does. I don't even have Mail in my dock anymore, so I know I'm not accidentally opening it that way.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 17, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

strokevictim posted:

Do you have iCal alerts set up to email you? I have run across the mystery "Whoosh" before, and figured out that it was iCal sending me an email reminder. I use Mail.app, but in your case it might ignore your change of default client.

That's probably it, now that I think about it. I'll have to think about what I want to do... hmmm...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

brc64 posted:

My wife has been having an issue with her Mac Mini recently (it's happened twice now since I replaced our router with an Airport Extreme). She'll be connected to the wifi, but unable to access anything. Even the Airport Utility won't see the Airport, but the indicator up at the top shows she's connected to the SSID.

When this happens, I just power cycle the Airport Extreme and she comes back to life, but my MacBook Air doesn't have this problem. It'll be working fine for me and broken for her. Any clue what's going on?
Quoting myself because you fuckers aren't giving me the free tech support I'm entitled to! :argh:

Seriously, though, this just happened again tonight. I pulled up the Network Utility and she had an IP address. I opened terminal and could ping her IP address. I could ping the gateway. But Firefox and Safari told her she was offline, and the errors were instantaneous, not from timeouts.

What the gently caress? It's extraordinarily frustrating for her, especially since everything else on the wireless network is working fine. Even power cycling the Airport Extreme didn't fix it right away this time. It just started working again on its own sometime later.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

We need more information. What is your wireless network (A/B/G/N)? When did you buy the Mac Mini and the Airport Extreme? Is the Mini still under warranty? If so, have you called AppleCare?

Also the Mac Hardware thread might be more relevant here.

I thought about posting in hardware, but it's a tough call right now as to whether it's a hardware or software problem.

Both the Mac Mini and Airport Extreme are less than 2 months old, with the Airport being more like a month old. It's in "Automatic" Radio Mode which seems to be providing G and N based on my other devices. We didn't buy the extended warranty on either device, and haven't tried calling Apple yet. If this is truly unheard of behavior, that's the route I'll go, but I was hoping somebody might chime in and say "oh yeah, just disable this random setting by typing this obscure command in the terminal and all your problems will go away"

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

TACD posted:

Do you have any weird / manual DNS entries?

Nope. In fact, that's something I'd like to change but haven't gotten around to figuring out yet (the Verizon DNS servers do this annoying search redirect poo poo and I'd rather DHCP give out OpenDNS or Google DNS addresses.

But anyway, not a DNS issue.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sparrow's the first purchase I recommend to switchers, with 1Password in a close second.

On a somewhat related note, a coworker was asking me questions about Macs today since he's considering one for his dad. I had my Air and my girlfriend's new MacBook Pro on my desk so I decided to show him some cool poo poo. The best examples I could come up with for "it just works" were AirDrop and Back to My Mac. He was extremely impressed with both of those. Does anyone have any other cool features to show off? Expose/Mission Control are a bit hard to understand without actually using the machine for an extended period. I explained how iCloud works and that was pretty exciting to him as well.

The trackpad/multitouch gestures were the biggest selling feature for me, but it's admittedly a more advanced feature. The crazy fast boot time on the Air impressed me, too.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Terpfen posted:

A Trojan is not a virus is not malware.
If you want to get all nitpicky, the term "malware" easily applies to both viruses and trojans, which are, by definition, malicious software. And of course there is malicious software that targets Macs. Just not very much of it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I'm not quite sure how to word this, but is there a Mac archive utility that supports a sort of file manager view, like WinRAR or WinZIP? My wife wants to be able to easily see what's in her ZIP files (without unzipping them) and add and remove individual files by dragging and dropping, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to do this with The Unarchiver or the Archive Utility. They just unzip everything and that's it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Evil Orca posted:

Both WinRAR and WinZip have OSX versions. http://www.winzip.com/mac/en/product_overview_mac.htm?sc_cid=go_us_b_search_Mac_Edition and http://www.win-rar.com/download.html they both seem to have a file manager view similar to their Windows versions.
WinRAR for Mac looks like it's command line only... WinZIP Mac might do what she wants, though.

japtor posted:

Another one is BetterZip.
Also a contender...

Without much ado posted:

There's also zipeg
Free is good!

I'll pass these along, thanks!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I don't know what you people are going on about with these screensavers. After Dark's Flying Toasters is the only one there is.

I can't believe I remembered that name. I never even owned a Mac before my Air!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Is there some secret to making Remote Disc not completely suck? Between my MBA and my wife's Mini, my Windows 7 desktop is the only disc drive we've got left. I've installed the Apple disc sharing utility thing, but it just seems to decide on a whim whether or not it will work, and when Remote Disc does see my computer, it'll very slowly read what's on it. Eventually it seems to start working okay, but by that point I'm usually already fed up with messing with it.

I probably just need to break down and buy the drat external drive.