Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

angor posted:

Going through the logistics of how Apple Care would work a million miles from any apple store had me making GBS threads myself.
They send you a box for your computer, and it's sent back after the repairs are done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Why would I want to make a Lion Recovery Disk (using that tool that Apple put out) instead of making a bootable Lion disk?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Levitate posted:

I've usually used firefox, but I updated to Lion and am willing to give Safari (or Chrome) a try. But...do either have something similar to ad block, or no script? Or do people find those superfluous? And I'm really used to command+k to go to the search bar, is it possible to change shortcuts in safari?

Basically, sell me on Safari or Chrome over Firefox :shobon:

Any other applications that people feel are essential? Are things like Onyx worth it?

thanks
First result on Google for "adblock for safari" is...

http://safariadblock.com/

Click2Flash is useful too, but I'm sure you can find it. I like Safari because it's integrated with OS X a little more than Chrome (especially in Lion), but the two are both WebKit browsers and thus, very similar.

As to applications being essential or not, what is essential for a graphic designer isn't essential for your average user. In that sense, I'm not sure what you're asking about. If this is your first Apple computer, I'd recommend using your computer with what's installed and find a different application when you come across an unfulfilled need.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

unruly posted:

Time Machine can only be encrypted if it is physically connected to the machine, FileVault encryption doesn't work with removable drives.
diskutil can be used in Terminal to encrypt removable drives without reformatting the drive.
http://www.ischack.net/2011/07/29/os-x-lion-filevault-encrypt-external-hdd-with-home-on-it/

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
So 10.7.3 hosed up my mid 2010 MBP. In verbose mode, I get a repeating "invalid sandbox profile" messaging. Resetting PRAM did noting. Checking for erroring in Disk Utility turned none up. I have a backup but not of the paper I just spent two hours writing. Does anyone have any ideas? gently caress.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I'm trying fsck -fy now. I don't know what made me think updating without backing up first was a good idea. Stupid.

I ran fsck -fy and it modified something, then I ran it again and it said everything was alright. Verbose mode still says
Invalid sandbox profile for pid 21 (increases by 1 every few seconds) (invalid regex)

gnrk fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 2, 2012

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

Hey, It happens. Idea though:

Do you have access to the Recovery Partition? I know Apple released a recent update to bring it to the mid-2010 13". If you do, you can probably grab a copy off of that, or pull out your Lion media (If you have some) and boot off that with a USB drive plugged in and copy to that?
I do have access to that, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the idea.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I feel silly, but I'm in the restore partition and I have the offending drive mounted. Everything checks out. But how do I browse the drive/open finder? There aren't any icons on the desktop...

Do I have to use Terminal?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
NerdsMcGee, wear your shining armor proud.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I've been meaning to get a flash drive to make a Lion disc. I'll look into it after my 7 hour restore over USB. :f5:

Mac OS X and Mac Software - 10.7.3 is hosed!

gnrk fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 2, 2012

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
So I woke to find my computer off. Cool, the Time Machine restore is done. Except now I get a blinking folder/question icon and because my computer's restore disks are Snow Leopard, they don't know what to make of all my FileVault 2 drives. I cannot believe how hosed this whole situation is. The loving Snow Leopard installer doesn't see any installable drives and my Lion recovery partition was nuked. Or everything s there but the EFI doesn't "know" it.

There seem to be two solutions. Erase the disk in Disk Utility and reinstall Snow Leopard and work my way up or somehow get the system to realize there is poo poo there.

While this is all taking place I'm going to have to wander around campus asking people if their Mac has Lion and if I can plug a strange external hard drive into it to copy a file off. FUCCKKKK

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Safari 5.1.5 dropped.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

crazysim posted:

Did a quick check:

Alongside Max in a torrent of tools for Mac on a popular and reputable music :filez: site was XLD. XLD looks to be very recently updated and maintained. Why don't you give that a try?

http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html
XLD is great.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Messages phone number integration working flawlessly so far. Finally Apple completed the puzzle :)
So your phone number is listed somewhere in this window? In the "reached for messages at:" and/or in the "Start new conversations from:" drop down menu? I can't get it working; iMessages sent to my phone number just stay on my phone.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Have you upgraded to iOS 6 yet on your iPhone? Make sure everything is up to date on your laptop and phone. iOS 6 will connect your phone number to your Apple ID, then a popup will show up on your laptop that asks if you want to receive messages from that number on your laptop.
Yeah, both my iPhone and iPad have been updated. A friend of mine just got the popup you referenced but he said he said it just showed up out of the blue. I guess there's nothing much I can do besides make sure everything is on the same Apple ID and wait. Annoying.

edit: I noticed in the FaceTime section of Settings, a message like "Activation failed. Turn FaceTime off and on again to retry" sat underneath the FaceTime on/off button. And after turning it on and off again it synced everything up with my Mac and iPad. Go figure.

gnrk fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 20, 2012

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
What is going on here?

After having some trouble getting the drive to sleep (the stock platter drive in an optibay), I decrypted the drive via Disk Utility. Now, the drive doesn't seem to know whether it's encrypted or not. Everything works fine, I'm just a little nervous. Any ideas?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

As always, my first question is: Anything interesting in the syslogs?

Nothing that jumps out.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

korora posted:

For journal articles LaTeX produces much better-looking output and Google says it works with EndNote (I use BibTeX so I can't speak to it personally). There is some learning curve but honestly for most things LaTeX is really easy and anything that's not easy is easily Googleable. In my experience most journals have a .tex template and accept PDFs but I have heard that varies depending on your field. You could always write in TeX and pandoc to a docx.

This. If you want to put some time into learning something new, you'll never complain for lack of word processing options once you have a handle on LaTeX.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Can anyone recommend a Windows style window snapping resizer? I know BetterTouchTool does it (for free) but I don't want to install the whole thing and update it every few days when it's the only feature I use.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I'm aware of that. I'd rather try something from a different developer.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Is today's release Build 14A388b?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. Just got a pre-release 10.10.1 seed update in the App Store. Is there a way to opt out of pre-release software? I'm guessing this is because I ran either the PB at one point, or the GM. I'm running 14A389 now FWIW.

So, I haven't heard any reports back from anyone who has installed this. What's the verdict? Is there a verdict? I suppose if it was bricking machines, I would've heard something...

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Kidney Stone posted:

Did update, no problems except that Safari is beachballing a lot.

Glad I checked, thanks.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I'm getting some pretty weird artifacts while using Safari on my 2013 15" rMBP running 10.10.2. It's one of the models with the 750m. Has anyone else noticed this? The bottom of the case is creaking and thought I'd ask here before sounding crazy in the Apple Store.

edit: A little more information. I think it's a Safari-only issue, as the artifacts will scroll with the page and I don't think I've seen them outside of Safari. So probably just a Safari thing?

gnrk fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 1, 2015

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I did a thing and accidentially deleted my Desktop folder. I haven't restarted the computer. Can I just mkdir a new one? Do I need to give a new folder special permissions?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

flosofl posted:

Are you talking about the sidebar or the actual honest-to-god folder? If the second, did you empty your trash? Try putting it back. If not OS X should recreate a new one.

EDIT: Do you use Time Machine? You should be able to get it back that way also.

It's a long and dumb story but I mounted something in ~/Desktop/ instead of ~/Desktop/folder/ and sudo was involved and now I don't have a readable Desktop folder. I don't have a Time Machine backup on me but I'm downloading the folder from BackBlaze. So, my question remains, can I mkdir a new one and does it need different permissions than a regular folder?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

emoji posted:

Fully functional Caffeine replacement in your dotfiles since the icon is lovely on retina and it was fun to make an amphetamine icon with ASCIImage:

Lua code:
ampOnIcon = [[ASCII:
.....1a..........AC..........E
1..........aA..........CE.....
e.2......4.3...........h......
.......................h......
e.2......6.3..........t..q....
5..........c..........s.......
......6..................q....
......................s..t....
.....5c.......................
]]

ampOffIcon = [[ASCII:
.....1a.....x....AC.y.......zE
1..........aA..........CE.....
e.2......4.3...........h......
.......................h......
e.2......6.3..........t..q....
5..........c..........s..q....
......6...............s..t....
...x.5c....y.......z..........
]]

local caffeine = hs.menubar.new()
function setCaffeineDisplay(state)
    if state then
        caffeine:setIcon(ampOnIcon)
    else
        caffeine:setIcon(ampOffIcon)
    end
end

function caffeineClicked()
    setCaffeineDisplay(hs.caffeinate.toggle("displayIdle"))
end

if caffeine then
    caffeine:setClickCallback(caffeineClicked)
    setCaffeineDisplay(hs.caffeinate.get("displayIdle"))
end

This is cool.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
I was invited to try the GM and it's great. All the strange little tweaks to my install that I worried about breaking are fine. If you were also invited and live on the edge, I'd highly recommend it.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Is the 10.12 Public Beta also the GM that was released to developers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Kidney Stone posted:

Couldn't be bothered messing around with Terminal

Kidney Stone posted:

Called a buddy of mine in Germany, and got him to send me a SSD with El Capitan installed