Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I can't upgrade to Lion on my MacBook, but will the apps like iCal and Mail update? Or will they be part of a new iLife but still run once purchased? Or they won't work at all because they have lots of Lion specific stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

I can't upgrade to Lion on my MacBook, but will the apps like iCal and Mail update? Or will they be part of a new iLife but still run once purchased? Or they won't work at all because they have lots of Lion specific stuff?

Ak you're all too excited about your new shiny stuff, but I'm going to try again. Does anyone know if the new Mail/Address Book will work with Snow Leopard on a Dual Core MacBook?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What would be best practice for syncing photos and videos between the Mac photo app, iPhone, iPad, and an external hard drive

Right now I have the setting to auto sync between my iPhone and iPad turned on in a way that doesn’t upload them to iCloud - will that work with the photo app as well or do I need to manually sync?

Is it possible to manually offload part of a photo collection to an external hard drive or is it a database type of situation that will confuse the app?

All these files are auto uploaded to OneDrive as well if that makes a difference?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I am also a reverted Mac user as of today, the last one I had was the old WhiteBook - loved that thing. I have installed a bunch of stuff, mainly out of fun;

Swish/BetterTouchTools/Rectangle/Tiles/Magnet: These are all replacements for Windows Snap because the built in Mac version only lets you do it with full screen apps (very like metro apps tech). I'm currently using Swish because the trackpad gestures work really well - but it doesn't have keyboard shortcuts which I'm really missing.

File Cabinet: Basically puts a drop down finder window in the menu bar, haven't decided whether I want to pay for this yet

Transmission: Was the best torrent app back then, don't know if it still is

Amphetamine: Forces your Mac to stay awake, can be linked to an app - fx set transmission to close when torrent is complete then amphetamine will let the computer sleep

Vanilla: Will let you organise your menu bar - I'm a little worried by the permissions it asked for.

Helium: I don't even know why I installed this, but it looks cool

Apart from that I installed all the Microsoft stuff, Swift Playgrounds, Spotify, Pocket etc. A lot of these that aren't on the App Store you can install through Brew Cask in terminal.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I use qbittorrent on Windows so I'll check that out as well.

Also is it just me but they're charging 4 USD for hyper focus in that bundle but the website doesn't tell you the difference between the free version and the paid version?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm using OneNote on Mac but I'm having some issues with the default language - apparently it sets each text area to the default keyboard input (Danish in my case) but I want it to be English.

I can reset it manually each time but is there anyway to make it use the system language (English)?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Homebrew is currently undergoing Drama so the time is right for MacPorts to strike back...

What’s the gossip?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It is interesting that it uses Google Analytics. I didn't realise that.

Anyway lets talk Calendar app and default calendars as when someone sends me a calendar invitation from their iPhone it goes into my iCloud calendar, which I don't actually use. How do I get it to show up in my exchange calendar where I want it to be?

I've changed the default in preferences but it doesn't make a difference. I don't know if the fact I've used the same email address for both iCloud and my Microsoft account is messing with things?

Edit: Also unticking calendar sync in iCloud apparently means I don't get meeting invitations at all...

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 16, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Last Chance posted:

The person sending the invite is likely sending it to your personal email address. My boss does this occasionally because he has both of my email addresses in his contact list and somehow whatever mail app he uses autofills my personal email address into Outlook invites when he types my name in

I said exchange because that’s what it’s called on the computer actually it’s a personal outlook.com email address with a personal domain. Email, calendar and contacts are syncing fine it’s just the drat invitations being a pain.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What's the best way to download a DMG of Mac OSX Catalina?

I'm trying to use virtual box to set up a virtual machine with it but the instructions from Apple only tell you how to do it with a USB drive - and I don't have one that works with thunderbolt ports.

Edit: Hmm the guy who makes the Catalina patcher seems pretty legit - so I downloaded an ISO via that. Just need to make sure to untick apply patches.

Edit 2: I still can't get it to work. Has anybody recently set up virtual box with Catalina? I get to a shell which I can exit to a basic UEFI but no further in the installation process.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 24, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

pzy posted:

Quick tutorial on getting a virtual camera input on your Mac, I wanted to get this down before the iOS NDI HX Camera app isn't free anymore (June 1st)

So even 2 months ago, getting a virtual camera and audio input on your Mac from an external source (like your iPhone's camera) was impossible or a huge pain in the rear end. Since then, a few things have happened:

NewTek released new macOS NDI Tools that finally include an NDI Virtual Input utility for the Mac, and it works great! Get that here:

http://new.tk/NDITOOLSAPPLE

Zoom also had virtual inputs blocked for a while, but in the latest update (5.0.4) finally re-enabled it:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201361963

So finally, you can now have an NDI video/audio source as a virtual video/audio input on your Mac, for use with Zoom and whatever else.

The free thing that will cost $20 after May is the NDI HX Camera app for iOS, which turns your iPhone into a very nice, low latency webcam:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ndi-hx-camera/id1477266080

There used to be an official Android NDI HX camera app too that got pulled for some reason. I haven't tried it, but it can be sideloaded... don't blame me if your Note explodes.

https://files.catbox.moe/ntwodz.apk

FWIW I was never able to get this working - either in Quicktime video recording or in the updated Zoom. There's a knowledge base article saying if you're using an iPhone X to disable the microphone in app but that doesn't seem to fix anything for me.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 30, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What's the best solution to remapping the caps lock key to be an enter key? I don't know if it's because I'm not used to the Mac keyboard yet or if it's because its for a different language (with more letters) but the normal one is so far away- from the J to enter is 6 keys to the right, but the caps lock key is only 4 keys to the left of the F key.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 9, 2020

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Should I worry about the message which says system extensions will be incompatible with a future version of macOS, or is that a long way off?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

i’m pretty sure karabiner-elements was the update that took advantage of the new APIs which shouldn’t be affected by this i think? try:
https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org/

That's what I installed- through home-brew but it should be the latest version - and it still came up with a warning message.

And as I'm here does anyone have a good solution for taking a solution for taking a screenshot and auto uploading to imgur and putting the url in clipboard? It would be great if it's something I can put in the Touch Bar to make that thing slightly useful. There are a lot of options but most seem unmaintained or for older versions of macOS

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
And you can import into iMovie for editing.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I think brew is for command line applications and brew cask for GUI ones?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Just install updates as you’re prompted to. If you’re not coming with older software nothing new will give you an issue.

Homebrew is a really fun thing to learn how to use.

Edit: when you say ‘got hold of’ do you mean it’s a used machine and you want to reset it to default?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
If it’s full fledged pdf research features you need then Papers is an excellent PDF manager with OSX and iPad apps.

Liquid text is also good for research using pdfs as well on iPad.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way to export data from the calendar app? For example if I wanted a list of all appointments (or days without appointments) in October could I do that from terminal or something?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
On Microsoft teams you’re supposed to be able to share a PowerPoint directly (not as a window) that lets participants scrub back and forth while you’re talking. It also lets you see the presenter notes and participant videos.

But that option doesn’t show up on teams on my Mac- does anyone know if it’s gated to windows?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

It's gated to having a recent office installed locally, no need for windows

Curious. I’ll have to investigate more.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I'm having a problem deleting some files - it says "the operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to to access some of the items". I've tried taking control of the folder but they're already set as me having read and write access. It's in a OneDrive folder but I don't think that should make a difference.

Weirdly I remember having this problem on my old white MacBook about 10 years ago.

Any suggestions?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So the ‘From’ field has disappeared from the Apple Mail app - does anyone know where that’s gone or how to get it back?

It’s kind of annoying not to be able to use my aliases!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

The From: dropdown is still there in Big Sur in my new emails. I just changed accounts in a sent message.

Weird. I can’t seem to find a way to turn it back on.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

This thing is missing for you? I'm on Big Sur as well.

Yes exactly - that last field is gone and it lets you customise other options like bcc but ‘from’ isn’t an option. I’m wondering if it’s an issue with account settings as I’m using aliases on outlook.com.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Isn't there already a mac hardware thread?

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for step by step guides to customising your ZSH profile? I want to customise the prompt on terminal but all of the old guides talk about Bash profiles which I don't think works with the current defaults.

It's a bit confusing because a lot of stuff out there seems to tell you to install iTerm and Oh My ZSH but that seems a bit overkill as ZSH is now the default shell on Mac OSX and I do I really need a whole theme manager to do what Bash used to do in terminal?

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 8, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Thanks, got it looking just how I wanted (although turns out there are a lot of places you can save settings). There's a couple of other things I'd love to get set up on Mac OS if anyone knows some good resources.

1) Set it up so the downloads folder automatically moves completed downloads to another folder (in my OneDrive). I don't want to just change settings in individual apps because it's kind of a pain and somethings just don't work well with on on-demand folders

2) How to set up defaults for youtube-dl. I want to set up an alias so I don't have to type out youtube-dl each time and to have the videos go to a specific folder. There's a bunch of stuff I want to pull off twitter these days.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It’s just way to advanced for what I needed to do. I managed to customise my prompt and set up a YouTube-dl alias and that’s good enough for me.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone use the CLI for Transmission?

I seem to have upset it, as no matter what I try it's refusing to change the download folder. I've tried using (transmission-daemon --download-dir) and (transmission-daemon --dump-settings) to confirm and it looks correct. But when I try to download something it goes to a different folder entirely.

The JSON also looks correct and I've used that to edit incomplete-dir and incomplete-dir-enabled as well but that doesn't seem to affect things.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone here use Microsoft Teams? I have to use it for an upcoming call and it's being a pain.

I'm logging in with my email address (the same one I use for my Office365 account) but it keeps taking me to a "Welcome to Teams" screen where I have to select the name of an organisation I had a meeting with once months ago - presumably because they sent me an invite.

But that just sends me to another sign on screen for them which obviously I don't have a valid account for.

Is there anyway to remove that association? I've tried uninstalling the app but it does nothing.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

I've had no issues with it and I use it all the time on my Mac

Do you ever have meetings with people from other organisations- and is there a way to get rid of the 'guest' accounts. My googling leads me to believe this is all easier if you have an IT team and aren't just some random guy trying to set up a video call.

You'd think MS would learn something after failing with Skype, but there you go.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Sad Panda posted:

It'll be in the settings for the account itself. Login to the account and you'll be able to remove it somewhere. I forget where exactly. Maybe on office.com

SlowBloke posted:

Open it in a private safari/edge/chrome tab, ignore every request/suggestion to open it in the desktop app and see if it still fails.

So I was actually able to log on using the browser version, yet still can't remove the guest account without logging in to - but my access has expired. It may also seem that personal accounts just can't use the Mac App by itself, you need a work account first - making blog posts like this more than a little misleading.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

http://teams.live.com/ is for personal accounts(live) , https://teams.microsoft.com is for business accounts(azure ad). The app is for business accounts only.

EDIT: Newtek has remade their NDI app for android so if you need to do conferencing and you need a decent camera you now have that option(ios had that option for a while, free during the early lockdown), sadly it's quite pricey but unless you have a barebone android phone the selfie camera is likely better that whatever you can source for the price(or get in your mac)

Thanks for the clarity, I just think all the announcements and blog posts about personal accounts working on the Mac app should have had a massive asterisk saying “only works if you have a business account as well”.

I will make the browser app work, just not sure how it works with slides etc. Also still no way to remove that old guest account without being able to log in.

I did download the NDI tools when they were free and they work well with my iPhone X and would recommend them.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend an Edge/chrome extension that blocks websites during specific times? Working from home has led to losing a lot of time on social media :(

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

TACD posted:

Paid: Cold Turkey
Free: Self Control

Main difference IIRC is the amount of granularity you get with timers and multiple blocklists.

I guess for completeness I’ll also mention Freedom as it’s the mainstream popular option but it just gave me a lot of hassle when I tried it

E: All of these are system-wide and should be browser-agnostic

Thanks, Cold Turkey seems pricey but it has a free trial I'll check out. They others look a little user unfriendly.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone have experience with apps like Mic Drop or Mutify? I'm just looking for a way to mute and unmute my laptop with a keyboard shortcut and theres a few that look similar and cost the same.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way of moving the widgets bar so it swipes in from the left? It kinda annoys me that it's the opposite from my iPad and iPhone.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I can't upload photos to Twitter because they're all in HEIC.

Is there any setting that will automatically convert photos before uploading or get Photo's to convert pictures taken on my iPhone to JPEGS when they're synced?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

HorseHeadBed posted:

I know this isn't exactly answering your question, but you can set your camera preferences to "Most Compatible" and it'll save JPEGs for pics and MP4s for video.

Yeah but it's actually quite nice to have the reduced file sizes on my phone. I've figured out there's a Twitter app that seems to accept HEIC - so its solely a browser issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Edge 4 lyfe.

I switched from Safari because of the lack of custom keyword searches - I don't know if they ever reintroduced them. At this point I've just gotten used to vertical tabs.