Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm new to Mac so this may be a dumb question. Are there any programs similar to SharePod for OSX that are free? I would really like to be able to copy my music off my iPhone, but everything I find seems to cost money. I'm not against paying for a program that I use, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone know why the start-up sound when I turn my laptop on would stop playing? I picked up a new 15" MacBook Pro a couple weeks ago and for some reason about two days ago it stopped. It doesn't bother me too much, since it was kind of annoying, but I'm curious as to how it got turned off. I never changed any settings, and from what I could find it's not that easy to disable.

The only culprit I can think of is I have a bad stick of RAM and the machine will crash about once a day. I plan on replacing the RAM but it will be a few days until I get home.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Is your machine muted? all of my Macs don't play the startup sound if the sound's all the way off.

As far as I know it's not muted. I've got the sound turned up when the computers running so I would assume it resumes the previous volume when booting up.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Strangelet Wave posted:

The startup sound has the same volume as your Mac's built-in speakers, and OSX remembers your built-in-speaker volume and audio jack volume separately. If you use external speakers or headphones, unplug them, adjust the volume, and then plug them back in. Your same problem confounded me for a while, too.
:doh: This was the problem. Can't believe I couldn't figure this out.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

El Jackalope posted:

Somehow I've killed the dashboard on my MBA (I think in Mission Control I clicked the X to close it's window) and now I cannot get it back. I can click on the app but it does nothing. There are a few stickies in there that I really would like to get the info off of. How can I relaunch the Dashboard?

Try this in a terminal
code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO
killall Dock

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone updated to Maverick from Lion? I've got an early 2011 MBP and have been debating on going ahead and doing the upgrade or waiting. Wanted to see if anyone had any problems when skipping Mountain Lion before I did anything rash.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
So my mid-2011 MBP decided to freeze this morning, and now it no longer boots up. When I attempt to start it in safe mode, it shows the little loading bar and then goes to a blue screen. I've tried to start it in recovery mode with cmd+r and it eventually ends up at the blue screen as well. I don't have a recovery partition either. Not sure what version of OS/X I had installed, I assume it was the latest version.

I'd like to think it's the hard drive, but I have no idea how I can make a recovery disk (USB or DVD/CD) without being able to access the OS. I've got another hard drive I can try out if I can get an install/recovery disk set up. Anyone have any suggestions?

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I make a bootable installation disk for Yosemite?
  • Download Yosemite from the Mac App Store on any compatible Mac.
  • Format a USB drive with Disk Utility with the default volume name of "Untitled"
  • Open Terminal and run this command:
    code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction
  • Wait a bit (can be up to 30 minutes on a slow USB drive) until the Terminal output states that the process is finished.

Is this still the correct method to do a fresh install on a new drive or is there a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks! Is there any reason I wouldn't want to install El Capitan on a 2011 MBP? From what I can tell it will run fine.