Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Doctor Zero posted:

Got an answer from the official Apple supplier of our university.

Me: Hey, how can I purchase Lion for the machines we have here?
Her: We don't know yet.

Thanks. :eng99:

I've already discussed this with my Edu reps a few weeks ago. If you are part of the AELP program, you'll be covered for installations on any computers that are part of the program. How you acquire Lion is up in the air, but once you do, you can use the disk image trick and use it to install or make images from and deploy it out to the remainder of your computers.

If you aren't part of AELP, you'll need to get AELP setup.

http://images.apple.com/education/pricelists/pdfs/20110621_Education_AELP.pdf

I'm not sure how it will work for Enterprise yet, I'm just getting in to that today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

toxick posted:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but tap dragging on trackpads can be enabled by going to Preferences, then Universal Access, then by clicking on Trackpad Options. I nearly went insane trying to find this option last night, ugh...

You can also do 3 finger dragging (without drag lock) in the Trackpad preference.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Martytoof posted:

Oh whoah, thanks a million. That (first one) should be the default behaviour :stare:

The Inspector was the default behavior until 10.2. People complained about the inspect window because it was a different behavior from how Get Info worked in OS 9 and prior.

You can either of these the default behavior.

1. Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts
2. Go to Application Shortcuts and Add a new shortcut
3. Choose Finder as the Application, type "Show Inspector" or "Get Summary Info" as the Menu item and press Command-I into the shortcut bar. Show Inspector will now be the default behavior for Command-I
4. Optionally add another shortcut for Finder and call it "Get Info" and set Option/Control-Command-I into the shortcut bar. You will have effectively reversed the commands.

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 31, 2011

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Scamander posted:

Now, I don't have the installation disc, and one of the things I was wondering was whether I might be able to get hold of one without having to buy a new one, given that this is a legitimate copy that I'm using now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Boot into single-user mode by pressing command-s at startup.

Type "fsck -fy" into the console. This will repair the disk if it can without having the OS boot disk.

When completed type exit to continue to the login window.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Dr Rotcod posted:

Figured out a super simple way to reword my request as I get more desperate:

Is there an application that will analyze two folder hierarchies and then list the files that are unique to each hierarchy? Boom

I've been doing some searching for you and I found a simple program called kdiff3. It may do what you want it to.

http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

smackfu posted:

Is there some fundamental conflict between "Save As..." and versioning and auto-saving?

One extra step man! One extra step!

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!
Wow, this is long, but I went and played with both versions of Preview to really study the changes and find out why this is such a problem for some.

amf5 posted:

I meant "no, try it" as in "no, try it and you'll see that export is not a functional equivalent of save as". Yeah, if you're just switching output formats it works similarly, but if you make a change and want to save it as something else in its original format it won't let you. Also, I don't know if this is a bug or if it's intentional, but if you're using export and change directories, then change output formats, you're put back into the original directory. It's a pain in the rear end and seems like an attempt to fix something that wasn't broken at all.

So, I just did this. I downloaded a picture from the internet and I cropped it (and I did other things too). The very first thing it says to me is this:

So then I select Duplicate and it creates a new one with just my crop.

Then I close it (the duplicate) and the Save dialog comes up and asks me to name it, what format I want, etc. All the things the old preview save dialog box with the added benefit of preserving the original.

Then I went back to the original, and chose "Export", and aside from a few less formats being able to be chosen, the file is exported.

It seems the argument that people don't like the fact that "Save As" closing the old version and open the new one with no real communication that this change has occurred has been removed?

So, in Preview:

- Duplicate is "open me another file so that I can make it different."
- Export is "save a copy of the current file as some other format."

- Save As... was "close the current file, place the new file where I asked to save it, and then open it"

I agree, it's 1 more step. I agree, it seems you can't export to as many formats as you could in the old preview. But it seems way more logical. You always know the status of your file.

Fake Edit:

I did even more testing on this. Every file I used said "- Locked" and I didn't know what that meant so I figured out why and continued playing. I think it had to do with files that weren't created in OSX with one of these version aware programs start out locked. So I took a screenshot of my desktop and manipulated that.

- I cropped the screenshot without being prompted to duplicate first. Then, the word "- Edited" showed up at the top of the screen. So I closed it.

- Reopening it, I got the cropped one, but I was able to use version control to get back to the original.

- So I exported the original, and again, despite having less options, the only difference I see between Preview 5.0.3 and Preview 5.5 is that the exported copy isn't the one that was open at the end of exporting using Preview 5.5.

- I then duplicated it, cropped it, and saved it successfully and I don't see how it's any different*.

*BUT IT MAY BE FOR SOME and here's my reasoning:

I think where some of us are "confused" by this is our workflows are different. Previously, when I knew I wanted to make a change to a file, but keep the original, I duplicated it in Finder first and then edited the duplicate. I did this to make sure that I had a different copy. I didn't rely on "Save As" to make a proper copy.

I think some people's workflow was open the original, make changes, then they want to save a different copy, so they went to Save As after making the changes. I always felt that doing it this way made it too easy to screw up and do Apple-S while working and save changes to the original that I didn't want to make.

My new altered workflow only requires me not to go into Finder to make my duplicate first, and I feel this is really nice.

This is 1 extra step (an alteration of your workflow) if you were in the "work in the original first" camp. It's making your originals safer. This and version control.

This is just an alteration of your workflow if you were in the "make a duplicate first" camp.

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 4, 2011

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

x-virge posted:

"Locked" means that the application won't auto-save changes on top of the existing file. If you start to edit the file, you will get the dialog you saw above. You'd just have to explicitly say you want to begin auto-saving over the existing file.

Files will be automatically locked after a certain length of time with no edits.

Yeah, I learned what that meant while writing it that but felt the paragraph about that made a long post even longer and wasn't relevant to what I was trying to convey. I should go remove the sentence about not knowing what that meant.

And I do like that feature as well, but I have a feeling it is going to cause a lot of headaches explaining it to end users (who am I kidding, every time we update something we have to re-train end users :eng99:)

Thanks though, your explanation was clear and hopefully will help others.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Choadmaster posted:

Man, I'm glad to say I don't have any of your problems despite doing a clean install and hand-migrating my data. In fact, with a few exceptions (that I can live with) I'm finding Lion quite usable.

The exceptions:
1) poo poo gets stuck in the "Favorites" section of the Finder sidebar. By which I mean, I try to drag it off to get rid of it and it just swoops right back. Sometimes right click - "Remove from Sidebar" works, and sometimes right clicking doesn't even bring up a contextual menu at all (???). Fortunately, someone posted a workaround online: hold command-option while dragging the item off will remove it for sure.

Command-Drag will remove stuff. This behavior was changed at some point back in Snow Leopard.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Ziir posted:

Wait, what, why? This is a fresh install of Lion. Microsoft Office has never touched it.

Office Document plugins for spotlight/quick look for people who don't have office probably. It's been there the whole time on my 10.7 install.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

gnrk posted:

They send you a box for your computer, and it's sent back after the repairs are done.

They do occasionally dispatch a repair person as well if you're really out there.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Alfalfa posted:

Not sure if this is software, hardware, or network related but figured I would start here.

I have a MBP that is running 10.7 and prints to a Canon MX870 printer over the network.

I sometimes dock my MBP using Hengedock in which it then becomes a wired connection to the network.

The rest of the time it is wireless.

Anytime I try to print something while my MBP is wireless, after being docked, I always get "A Communication Error Has Occurred".

I can then go into System Preferences, delete the printer, reinstall it, and it will print anytime I want, until I dock it again.

Is there something I'm missing or need to change to allow my computer to communicate with the printer while using a wired or wireless network connection as well as be able to bounce back and forth between the two with no problems?

When you add the printer are you adding it through Bonjour or are you adding it direct IP? The way I've always experienced it is that if you add a printer with Bonjour, it will look only to that connection (subnets and stuff). So if you added it when the computer is wireless, it won't find it wired and vise versa. Try adding it as an IP printer.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Boner Wad posted:

I upgraded to 10.7.1, used my Bose headphones for a bit, unplugged and now there's no sound. The menu bar is grayed out and sound is at max. The only option I have now is Digital Out.

I did replug my headphones in, they worked fine. Unplugged and saw Little Snitch ask if it's okay for something to connect to some Radar reporting server. I'm guessing something crashed.

Ideas on how to get sound back other than rebooting? I fear this may happen if I use my headphones once more after reboot.

What model computer do you have?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Boner Wad posted:

MacBook Pro 17-inch Mid 2010, 2.66ghz i7

Also, rebooted once and still no standard out, rebooted and zapped pram, still no way to get normal built in speakers.

There is a condition that the little toggles in the headphones jack get stuck on. Is the little red light inside the port on?

If so, I'd take it in to get checked out at the Apple Store. Are you still within your warranty or have AppleCare?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Boner Wad posted:

Yeah I have AppleCare although I don't know when I'll have time to take it there. It came on at some point after I disconnected it. It's off after the reboot. I also tried putting the headphones in and out again, the red LED is still off though.

Play some music or sound of some kind and see if the light comes on.

You will probably need the logic board replaced to correct the issue.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

wolffenstein posted:

Goddamn, is that including multiple versions of Adobe software?

Probably Final Cut Studio with all the add-ins as well.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Jolan posted:

I do not want Text Editor to re-open unsaved documents I had open when I quit the application. In SL, I would just hit cmd-Q and discard changes, so that next time I opened the app, I got a blank slate. In Lion, I only have the option of not saving previously saved documents, so all unsaved documents that I had open will have to be manually closed one by one to prevent them from returning upon opening the app again. And this sucks immensely. How can I fix this?

Hold down Option when quitting to select "Quit and Discard Windows".

Use the Keyboard Shortcuts feature in the Keyboard preference pane to permanently make Command-Q "Quit and Discard Windows" for either text edit or all apps that support it.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Kloaked00 posted:

I'm having trouble updating my iPhone4. I have a separate hard drive that only has Windows on it (32gb) which is where the firmware file is downloading to. The issue is that I evidently need 3.03gb to backup/update my phone, but there's only 2.7gb free on that drive, and I've already cleared out as much as I can. I tried placing the file in one of my other drives which gives me enough free space, but when I do shift-Update to manually choose the firmware to use in the update, it tries to unpacks the file then gives me an error of 3002. iTunes help says

I'm running the most current version of iTunes, my firewall is disabled while I'm trying this, and I've tried the other suggested fixes. It's particularly annoying because I have a separate partition for programs which has plenty of room and is where iTunes is actually installed, but it automatically downloads the firmware to my C drive. Anyone have an idea what I can try from here? Or how I can manually choose where iTunes downloads the firmware to?

I wsa having a similar problem upon updating my iPad and I have to comment the line in the /etc/hosts file associated with gs.apple.com.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

McDeth posted:

Things that are pissing me off:

When you install a copy of Apple Remote Desktop onto a Mac a background process is installed called ARDAgent. I have to ASSUME that this process is different from the normal ARDAgent process that runs if Remote Management is enabled on computers without Apple Remote Desktop because this is what happens if I attempt to VPN into my main office on my work laptop with ARD installed.

That's my laptop sucking up all of my offices bandwidth via a loving process that I have no control over. Has anybody seen this before or know how to fix it? I sort of need ARD to do my job, but poo poo like this makes my job way more stressful than it needs to be....

You're clients have been programed to send in reports at certain intervals. This is in the settings that show up when you first connect to a client with ARD. They hold their reports until the agent is available, so what's happening is when you vpn in, they all see you and send you their usage/app reports.

How many clients are in your All Computers list?

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 15, 2011

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Bob Morales posted:

That would make an interesting project. I like it but I would remove that favorites or whatever the first thing on the left is.

It's the sidebar, and you can already remove it (View -> Hide SideBar). I would assume that wouldn't change.

E: Assuming you mean the entire side bar not just the favorites (as in you still want the devices listed).

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Mug posted:

Mountain Lion is bringing iMessage to Macs, right? That's the feature I want most.

I already have a beef with the GM version of messages and it's going to drive me nuts if there isn't a resolution.

:argh: Animated gifs are suppose to loop Apple. :argh:

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apple's never been able to get animated .gifs right, regardless of context or application.

I know, and it doesn't seem like animated gifs are that hard of a thing to implement. They've been an integral part of the web forever.

You gotta know that it's probably some political thing over there, because it was fine in the Messages beta (but not fine in Messages on iPad).

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!
:argh: got a phone call in the middle of my post ^^

Lance Rivers posted:

Question: My Mom gave me a used mac Laptop. I can't get it to start up. I can't sell a gift.

So now I have to put effort into trying to work with it.

It turns on, then goes to a screen with a flashing question mark and a folder, then a globe, then back to question mark, repeat, repeat...

If I press the option key early enough when I'm turning it on, I get a Lock on the screen, and a line for a password.

*sigh*

I do not know the password. Is there anyway to get around this, or do I have a fancy white brick?

The password is the Firmware Password. You can clear this by removing one stick of memory and then resetting the PRAM 3 times.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Shaocaholica posted:

I know this works perfectly but what is Apple's official statement on upgrading from 10.5 and lower? There are ML compatible Macs that were sold with 10.5 right? I think the C2D mini came with 10.5.

e: so according to this which isn't offocial but cites some official source that the Apple approved method is to install 10.6 first. Seems a bit messy.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167868/how_to_install_mountain_lion_over_leopard.html

If you buy it once, you can install it on any computer in your house that is supported.

You only need to install 10.6 first if you plan on upgrading the computer vs. wipe and reinstall. Also make sure your firmware is up-to-date.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Shaocaholica posted:

What I meant was that burning a disc from the dmg file is not apple approved. Whats the official line from Apple when granny wants to upgrade her 10.5 Mac without opening packages and disk utility.

Building a Bootable Recovery Disk is: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

As you posted in your article, you technically are supposed to do 10.5 -> 10.6 -> 10.7 or 10.8.

If you want to get to 10.8 without 10.6 and without opening Disk Utility you're at a loss because at minimum you are going to have to use Disk Utility to wipe your 10.5.x drive to install 10.7 or 10.8 from the Apple sanctioned Bootable Recovery Disk (unless there is an erase + install option, but I've not seen that since 10.7 came out).

Or, locate someone with a 10.6 disk, upgrade, then download ML and install.

Otherwise: DO THIS. It's super easy and we've all got one.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The fact that someone can wipe your MBP via iCloud doesn't really sit right with me and I had no idea this was possible.

Because he got into his iCloud account and had "Find My Mac" enabled. This lets you wipe your data in the event your machine is lost/stolen.

Keep your accounts safe.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Binary Badger posted:

Apple's probably getting everyone to change password strength because of what happened to that blogger.

How would that solve the issue? As was said, someone at AppleCare bypassed the security.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Belldandy posted:

Ok, heres one - I have a Mid-2012 (new) Macbook Air on 10.8. I enabled FileVault and now my login preferences are just not taking. I had a username and password prompt before now its the list of users. No checking or unchecking will turn it back. Is there a plist file I can nuke so this stuff takes? I already tried repairing permissions with no luck.

When you enable FileVault, you are presented with the list of users who can unlock the device. This is the FileVault preboot screen, not the login window. I don't know if there is a way to change it.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know about Paste and Match Style. I always copied and quickly pasted it into the address bar and recopy it. Is there any legit reason why anyone would not want Paste and Match Style as the default setting?

Yes, when we want what we pasted to be identical to what we copied. It's a 50/50 tossup for me when I'm copying and pasting.

martytoof posted:

I wish there was a way to make Cmd-V system-default to "Paste and match style"

Here are two different methods for changing Paste and Match Style to the default.

Make 'paste and match style' the default behavior

How to make "Paste and Match Style the *default* for Command-V

Also as suggested in those articles, make sure you bind regular Paste back to something as well (maybe Shift -Opt-Command-V).

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

withak posted:

I number folders all the time when I want them to always be sorted in chronological order (the order I actually did them, not the last time they were modified).

Go to View -> Show View Options: "Sort By -> Date Created"

In list and coverflow view you can also access the Date Created column.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

I wish apple would integrate their productivity suites.

They are integrated, just not in the same application.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Sonic Dude posted:

Once you move the stuff, open Terminal and run this:
code:
sudo chmod -R 777 <drag the folder on the external here>
Don't forget the space between 777 and dragging the folder, and only drag the folder from the external drive, not the internal.

Or just copy stuff over and let her figure out the permissions bullshit. That's what I did when I copied my now-ex-wife's stuff to a drive.

If you log into her account and copy the entire home folder you won't need to change the permissions. Just change her password in SysPrefs if you don't know it. Permissions are ignored on external drives by default.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Sonic Dude posted:

I just imagined her copying it straight to computer B, and then being all confused when the short name of the owner is different.

Copying the files from the external drive to computer B would grant ownership of the files to the short name of the user on computer B.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Sonic Dude posted:

This isn't always the case. We do lots of data transfers at work, and even moving through an external with permissions ignored, if we don't reset the owner then we get a call from an irritated customer. Maybe it's something different about how we're copying the data, because we use cp (since the Finder adds an oddly-huge amount of overhead when copying lots of files)?

I've never run into this situation using both Finder and cp. If you're using cp with elevated rights (sudo) you're copying the files as root, not as the current user. Copied files inherit the owner of the user who is doing the copying unless you are using an option such as -a or -dR --preserve=ALL or some form of -p.

The only way I can think of that you would get shortnameA from the origin computer onto a destination computer of a user with shortnameB is that you setup the destination computer into target mode (or copy to an external drive and then install that drive into a machine) and use the origin computer to do the file copying. In this case, shortnameA would own the files.

That said you are correct, you should double check the permissions of the files on the destination machine, but since he's dealing with an ex I'd say it's her problem.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

cbirdsong posted:

Supposedly, it adds support for the concept of linear time to iMessages.

Updated yesterday, messages were fine and in the correct order.

Logged in this morning, messages were in the proper order.

Sent a message to someone just now, messages reshuffled to being out of order.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Malcolm XML posted:

Hosted iCloud would be the logical next step for iWork in the cloud and such

LOGIC HAS NO PLACE HERE!

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Ripoff posted:

Does anyone know how effective the Mavericks built-in firewall is, and if it's worth leaving on and sacrificing Airplay support? Ultimately if killing the firewall is a dumb idea (which I imagine it is) I'm probably going to shut off the wireless on the O2 modem and buy an Airport Express or other wireless router that will play nice with Airplay, and run it that way. Any advice you can offer is really appreciated.

Do you have the option checked in the advanced firewall options to block all incoming connections? If so it prevents airplay from discovering devices, or connecting. I was having a problem a while back where I couldn't figure out why I couldn't airplay and it was because I forgot to turn off the block incoming connections after returning from a trip (I always crank it up when I have to get on a hotel or other shared network).

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

fleshweasel posted:

Doesn't look like it. I'll check the network settings window when I'm at school tomorrow. It's just a window that pops up. On Windows you'd probably navigate to a page and it would redirect you to the network login page that Mavericks brings up automatically.

If you close the window and open up a safari/browser window do you get the same dialog? A hotel I stay in regularly has this and I found that I could save the password by using safari to "authenticate" to the network, not the pop-up.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Lexicon posted:

I've got a Mac Mini and am about to sell my standalone monitor that goes with it. FileVault is turned on. Is there a way that I can ensure I have access to it (ssh and remote desktop ideally) from boot while I temporarily have no display?

I just tried ssh-ing from my MBA, and it seems it won't accept a connection before I do an initial log-in.

You only need to be able to enter the password on the Mini for the first boot (or if you remotely reboot it), it doesn't require a monitor. If you're the only user setup with filevault access, the password field will be selected, just enter the password and press enter. Drop a sound file in your login items to confirm logging in is completed if you want.

Is there a reason you can't just leave the machine powered up? Are you losing physical access?

Lexicon posted:

Of course, but those files are all cached locally somewhere in an obscure directory as I recall.

~/Library/Mobile Documents

If you navigate to this directory, the header even changes to iCloud.

Of course you can also just hit "Enter Time Machine" from the menu bar while in the open dialog box of an iCloud enabled application.

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Riven posted:

My only advice would be keep a backup just because it's a Beta and something could go wrong, but not because they plan it.

And the fact that they have wiped the iCloud data for developer betas at least once already. If you're going to use it during the beta, make sure to have backups.