Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

xie posted:

Also: I agree with you. I'm not 18 years old and am very very willing to invest in my own future. I am trying to track down a white macbook locally for sale at the very least. Work won't give me one right now.

Buy this, fast: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

LukeyBoy posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent, simple image viewer with a conversion function? Basically I want to open an image in a folder and be able to cursor/page through other images in a folder. Preview sort of works, but I have to highlight everything and open them all at once (which sucks balls over a wireless network).

Open the actual folder in Preview, not just a single image.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm leaning toward a problem with your provider, since I just pulled down updates at ~5MB/s.

yeah, I just pulled the 40 or so meg Safari update down in a few seconds.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

kapalama posted:

SSDs mask problems with too little memory because disk swaps are painless with SSDs.

The OP has too little memory and way, way, way too little free disk space, both of which stand OS X on its nose by themselves. In combination, they are a giant pit of suck.

4 GB is dead minimum for OS X. OS X will always behave better with more memory. Always has always will.

4GB free disk space will stop a Mac dead. Hell 15 GBs free will stop a Mac dead. SSDs may alleviate the problem but OS X really starts to run slow with a full disk, especially since a phycial disk is running at less than half its rated speed at that point.

but he's never said how much disk space he has free?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

ripburger posted:

Just the easiest piece of model information I could get when going into the Fruit menu for System Information. I don't know why Apple doesn't just list that in there in the first place...

it does, before you even get to the section with the number notation, if you're using Lion.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

C-Euro posted:

There's a pair of guys in my office who both own Macbooks and one of them is always bitching about how terrible MS Office is on his MBP. I never knew who developed the OS X "port" of Office so I was curious; I always assumed that, like most everything else for their OS, Apple took care of it.

they develop their own native software and applications. They don't typically develop another company's software. There is plenty of third party software on Macs. "Most everything else," when it comes to applications, is developed by companies that are not Apple.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I guess what I'm asking is, if I do the thing where I can use the windows install as a VM or boot it directly, does booting directly actually run natively on the hardware or is it still virtualized? Can I just install a proper windows install to another partition and then run that in a VM? This is confusing to me :psyduck:.

to make it simpler than ^^^, Boot Camp is a native Windows install that you boot directly. You can then use that install partition in a VM while booted into OS X.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Should I just cave and give the 5 GHz network a different name?

this is what I ended up doing with my Time Capsule and it made life a hell of a lot easier.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

You can use Notes synced to IMAP already. Bonus is that anything with a mail app can read and probably write them.

yeah, but on Mountain Lion they function extremely similar to how Stickies do currently.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

pretty sure that was his exact point.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

kim jong-illin posted:

How can I reinstall iChat after getting rid of the Messages beta?

The Messages.app beta was really janky for me, constantly failing to connect to my Gtalk or Aim accounts and screen sharing often wouldn't work when it did previously with iChat. I've deleted it but it looks like it got rid of iChat when it was installed and I can't find a download link for iChat anywhere. I don't want to redownload the entire Lion .dmg just to get iChat, so I'm getting really pissed off with this now.

Did you delete it, or run the iMessages uninstaller?
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4196
^^^yeah, it's in the program menu.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Scienter posted:

Yeah, like I said certainly not costly, but it was just one of those points of ecosystem synergy that jumped out like "hey, I could use the included wireless keyboard with my iPad" and "hey, I can have Steam on it so maybe I should buy Assassin's Creed Brotherhood while on it's sale for $8".

Didn't make the time limit on that last one.

Anyway I just recall that when you bought Lion via MAS last year it let you install it on like 4-5 systems, hence why I ask.

and that will (likely) still be the same for Mountain Lion. Just, if you're getting it on a new comp, you're not getting it through the MAS. And when they did the "if you bought it during such and such time you get a free upgrade" they tied it to your Mac's serial and you could only install it to that one machine.

Still, $29.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

well why not posted:

I've got an external Sound Card with a dial for the monitor levels, which is cool, but renders my Volume + / - buttons on the keyboard useless. Is there a way to bind them to the iTunes volume control?
I use KeyRemap4Macbook (that name, christ) to remap certain things for a 3rd Party keyboard I use. It will let you remap just about every key (as well as define which keyboards you want to remap: for example I have it set to never remap Apple Keyboards), sounds like it might do what you're looking for: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25141/keyremap4macbook

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Daric posted:

I'm getting a $100 Apple Giftcard with my laptop purchase. This is my first Apple product ever. Anything "must have" I should spend that money on?

you're getting an iTunes giftcard, not an Apple giftcard. But if you're asking about what from the Mac App store, it honestly depends on what you need/plan to do with your computer. But Omnifocus is half off right now and at $40 it's an awesome deal for organization. Stuff like 1Password, the iWork suite, etc, are all solid choices too. But again, depends on the kind of software you're looking for.

Edit: Just looking over my Mac App Store purchases:
Coda 2 for web development is highly recommended, if you're doing any of that, and it's currently $25 off. $75
I like WriteRoom for any time I need to have a clean, focused writing session. I've used both it and iA Writer and I prefer it. $10
Sparrow's a great Mail replacement if your accounts are primarily in the Gmail ecosystem (though it does now have support for most protocols aside from Exchange). $10
Notifications for Mountain Lion may make it useless, but Growl is a great utility especially in conjunction with Prowl for iOS. $2
Wifi Explorer is another one of those little tool items that can come in handy. $2.
1password is currently $40, so it depends on how much you want it, but it's pretty much the #1 recommended app for a password companion around here, for good reason. It goes on sale every now and then though, generally at 50% off.

There are other things that aren't that useful generally but help with specific tasks, which again goes back to what will you primarily be using your computer for.

El Duke Silver fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 15, 2012

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

IUG posted:

I was told too that I was getting one, and I got my computer today. However, I didn't see a card in the box, or in the computer's box. I know I logged into my Apple account to make the purchase, so is it possible they just added the credit to my account? Or will I get the card later.

They generally take a little bit longer to process IME. You'll get the card, not a credit tied to the account. Go into your account, check the order status. You should have a separate status for the card.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Mr Man posted:

I tried coda2 and it didn't win me back, I still prefer to use Sublime Text 2 .. I also find Dreamweaver CS6 way to bulky for what i need it for.

Also if you're like me, going between work and home with your laptop, and connecting to shared drives, then i recommend Controlplane

I prefer ST2 for standard programming stuff, but Coda 2 for web. But honestly ST2 never was "lacking" for me and if it wasn't for the all in one interface of C2 I'd probably stick with it exclusively. C2 is just nicer for quick stuff, though.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

kapalama posted:

I know 1Password is good, because I here it all the time, but what's good about it? Does it work crossplatform? Is there a way to not have to be annoyed to death typing passwords on the touch when the password is stong?

there's an iOS client, if that's what you're asking about. You have a few options for syncing your database, which is always encrypted, and you can have more than just passwords stored as well. So if you need to generate a strong password on the go, you can do it on your iPhone, and then it will sync to your Mac/iPad/etc without any hassle. iOS client isn't free, though, I think it's $15 for the universal and $10 for the iPhone only, if they're still even doing the split.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Daric posted:

Am I correct in thinking that to install a windows partition with bootcamp, I just need to stick a windows disk in? I just got my mac an hour ago, don't want to screw it up yet.

just run Bootcamp, it'll walk you through everything.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Gordon Cole posted:

That is one of the most hideous things I've ever seen, and the fact that people would use it and even pay money for it is deeply troubling.

the black is even better because it makes the UI practically unusable: http://www.marsthemes.com/crystalblack/index.html

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Wario In Real Life posted:

Apparently old AirPorts aren't supported in ML anymore? Seems like the strangest arbitrary restriction. Hopefully a solution comes up after release.

they aren't supported by that version of Airport admin. it's the same way in Lion. The solution is right in your error message: download 5.6. You can have both versions on your comp.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Wario In Real Life posted:

The second image is me trying to install 5.6 on my ML machine.

Hopefully it's just a bug in the installer (not recognizing ML) and it'll be an easy fix.
well, that will teach me to let all the images load. And yeah, I'd imagine it's just a case of ML not being officially released yet and everything not having compatibilities fixed/set. 5.6 installs fine on Lion.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

The posting on their site doesn't say explicitly that they aren't going to be developing it anymore, but it very strongly implies it.

I think that's as close as you can get to saying "we're not developing it any further" without actually saying it.

The email they sent to users explicitly states it:

quote:

Hello,

We're excited to let you know that Sparrow has been acquired by Google!

You can view our public announcement here, but I wanted to reach out directly to make sure you were aware of the news. We will continue to make available our existing products, and we will provide support and critical updates to our users. However, as we’ll be busy with new projects at Google, we do not plan to release new features for the Sparrow apps.

It’s been an honor and a pleasure to build products for all of our wonderful users who have supported us over the years. We can't thank you enough.
We look forward to working on some new and exciting projects at Google!

Dom Leca
CEO
Sparrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

decypher posted:

Just the AppStore download, but remember that allows you to install it on up to 5(I think) computers if you use the same Apple ID.

Lion's thumb drive was 70 bucks. Only time will tell if they keep that price point or lower it 10-20$.

happily beaten(to death!)

this wasn't actually true last time so it might not be this time, either. The download for the Up to Date program is tied to the specific machine. So while it goes into your App Store purchases, it's not like you bought it straight from the App Store. It can only download onto that one computer. I was eligible for Up to Date last year with my iMac, but it didn't count for any of my other computers so I ended up having to buy Lion anyway. I'm not sure if they're doing the same thing with ML or not, but that's how it worked before, at least.