Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

fleshweasel posted:

I saw the safari 5.1 update on snow leopard claiming a resume feature but it seems nowhere to be found :smith:

I don't know where you saw that; but the closest thing you'll get (as far as I know) is History > Reopen All Windows from Last Session. It's been there for a while, though, since 5.0, perhaps; still handy for when something insists on closing Safari for no reason (hello, Office Updater...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Out of curiosity, if you disable versioning, do you get Save and Save as… back? Or do you still have to do the duplicate/export song and dance if you want to save something with a different name or whatever?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

So is the Logitech Control Center just a turd or is there a reason why my Back/Forward thumb buttons don't work in Finder? If I set them to the cmd-right/cmd-left keypress, they work but they constantly reset back to back/forward and stop working in Finder. Back/forward work fine in Chrome, for instance.

Did Apple (or you) actually change back/forward in Finder with Lion? Because it's always been cmd+[ and cmd+] to go back/forward in Finder.

That said, if LCC is just saying back/forward, it should work regardless, unless it's actually just sending cmd left/right and assuming that's a universal command.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Flyndre posted:

What's the hotkey for bold/italics/underline in Word 2011? I've googled this and found it's supposedly the same as in the windows version (ctrl + b etc) but it just won't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

It's command you want. cmd+b/i/u.

Generally speaking, the osx version of your windows hotkey is cmd + letter.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Is there a good app someone can recommend that will let me see what channels nearby Wifi networks are broadcasting on? I remember a thread a few months ago with a Windows app that did the same thing but couldn't find a Mac one.

iStumbler will. It's got loads of other data about the other networks, too.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

carry on then posted:

I'm having trouble getting an Automator folder action to do what I want. Basically, I have a screenshots folder where the output of CMD+OPT[+SHIFT]+[3/4] sent. Inside that folder, I have another folder where I move older screenshots. To automate this, I set this workflow as a folder action:

I think this means if an image file is 30 or more days old, move it to the Archive folder. The problem is, whenever I take a screenshot, it immediately archives the new file. Is there something else I have to add to get it not to do that?

Insert "Get Finder Items" between the two. That worked for me in a quick test.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

carry on then posted:

No dice with either Get Specified or Get Selected (although I think that latter one wasn't supposed to be used there.) Thanks though.

edit: Looks like "Find Finder Items" is a bit dumb. Threw in explicit rejections for anything created this week and now it works. Seems like a pretty glaring bug that has apparently existed since Automator was introduced in 10.4.

That's weird, it worked for me:

Also, it appears that get Specified lets you select things manually, like, for example you make a bunch of websites and use automator to FTP the whole bundle of sites, including specific images or CSS or something (and are a terribly lazy author), so you can include logo.jpg in your bundle to be uploaded.

Get Selected just takes the output of process 1 and passes it on to process 3.

If you look at the results, it just passes the same photos through.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

On the plus side, now I know why when I'm typing and am sure I've overshot the "a" key, I haven't looked at the screen to find a half-sentence in caps. It's a pretty nice feature.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

KingEup posted:

http://www.winamp.com/mac

That just reminds me of like a decade ago when they were "totally making a winamp for mac" OS…9, maybe? Shame that never got off the ground. Old winamp was perfectly good at playing music and nothing further.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

japtor posted:

It was...weird I guess. I remember some WinAmp or MacAmp beta that looked like WinAmp, then funky stuff with the name ownership happened and one team changed to MacAst or something while I can't remember what happened to the other.

Nah, this was like 2002–3 or so, before I had a mac. A friend was asking for a music player and I recall showing it to her and saying "try this, it's pretty great in windows." It was legit Winamp, by Nullsoft and all.

Oh! Found it:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/206623

I can't believe a) tucows still exists b) they have something this old. I might just throw it on my Cube!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

japtor posted:

I think that's one of the ones I used, it was an interesting/messy time of MP3 player development. I'm not sure I even knew it was a public release at the time...I bet I got it through a Hotline server or something.

Yeah, I still use Audion, except it somehow broke in 10.4. It works fine in os9, but a [different] install in 10.4.11 refuses to work. I'm not sure what the deal is: I tried removing everything audion related in ~/Library, but it just freezes at start. It's strange, I'm not sure what the deal is, but if anyone knows what the hell, I'd appreciate the advice.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

You Am I posted:

Yep, but the Maths postgrads and academics at my work swear by it.

Yeah, I was a Linguistics major in undergrad and it was pretty great. My physics PhD buddy uses it all the time to.

As for a guide, just download lShort. Very useful, at the least for the basics.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

z0331 posted:

Not sure where to ask this, figured I'd try here.

I just got a MacBook Pro since my Dell seems to be on the fritz. I've been trying to use the Migration Assistant to get my pictures and music over, but I have no idea where it puts the files. I expected the pictures to show up in the Mac picture folder but no such luck.

I've tried Googling around but can't seem to find a straight answer. Where is the assistant putting my stuff?

Does the Migration Assistant actually work windows –> mac? I was under the impression it was only osx to osx.

Also, this my favorite screensaver clock: http://www.iconpaper.org/minimalclock/

It makes leaving my laptop open worthwhile, since it shows the time pretty clearly.

If I recall right, migration assistant just moves your home folder, more or less. That and nothing will just show up in iPhoto, you'd have to add them.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

z0331 posted:

It does work with PC. Maybe that's new? I don't know.

Anyway, I figured out where my files went. It would make a new folder, similar to my user profile folder but with all the folders inside locked so I can't open them even after setting the permissions. Basically I got around it by moving the appropriate folder inside (e.g.: Pictures) to the equivalent folder on my base Mac user profile folder and that worked.

Kind of weird and kind of a pain, but it looks like I got everything worked out. Still trying to get a handle on how to navigate this OS. Last time I used a Mac for any duration of time was like 10 years ago.

That's actually reasonably sensible. That said, as far as file locations go, OSX is more like linux. Or, in a more contemporary Windows sense, like W7. You have a "user folder," and subfolders for things.

It's fairly sensible, and a hell of a lot better than OS9, despite how much I like it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

withak posted:

My colloquy window casts a shadow.

edit: Though the connections window does not.

Both of mine do, although the connections window's shadow is very small, and only easily noticeable at the bottom edge.

Which is a bit weird, as it at the bottom it's canted off to the right a bit, but there's drat near nothing on the right edge, where it should be [roughly] equally visible.

That said, tell me more about jitouch. From its website, I'm not seeing anything different from BTT, except that their defaults are different from what I've already set myself.

(Also, cmd+click is nicely ingrained in my head as it is.)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Xithyl posted:

To those of your running Bootcamp with Windows 7 on your MBP: do you notice the unit seems get noticeably hotter, though not over-the-top hot, when using Windows 7 as oppose to Lion?

It gets even worse if you dare run a game or anything particularly intensive. I once had the thing power itself off (or suspend itself, I forget) after 20 minutes of Mafia II. I installed some fan control, so I'm seeing how well that works with a higher base RPM.

The main thing that helps is to use it on something hard, like a desk or a box or something. I've just left it on my bed and that certainly doesn't help the heat build up. But yeah, that's normal – I'm pretty sure my 2006 MBP was just as bad, if not worse.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Speaking of Drag-n-Drop attachments. Whenever I've tried this, it sends an attachment that can't be opened in Windows. I've always had to use the attachment dialog window in order to insert a valid attachment. Any one else have that issue?

I was under the impression that the encoding issue stopped being a thing after like OS 9. But yeah, you can't ensure "windows-safe" attachments without using the dialog window. Out of curiosity, did the files you were sending actually have file extensions? Windows (and different versions of MacOS) don't handle files without extensions very well (or at all, really).

But basically, I only drag & drop if I know it's going to a mac. Even then, that's rare, since I keep mail in a separate space, and keep emails open, rather than just flag them or something.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I was thinking of finally upgrading to Lion and just dealing with the change. I also decided to finally set up Time Machine. So while I wait for that to back up 1.2 million items, I figured I'd ask: Can I just grab my documents/pictures/whatever from the Time Machine backups, or use Migration Utility, or should I just copy my home directory somewhere and then grab it back, less the library? I only ask because I figure I should actually start clean, rather than have prefs from back on 10.4 laying around.

Also I just checked and I have a ton of fonts in my home library, as well as the system one. Should I just copy those over from a backup as well? Related to that, how do I keep my Collections, or will I have to re-create them?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If I do decide to make the jump, I assume I'll be able to go directly from SL to ML?

See, I doubt that, so I figure I'll roll the dice and learn to deal. Still gonna be fuming that my Spaces are gone, though.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Carthag posted:

What do you miss about spaces? I haven't noticed anything missing in mission control except the ability to stack desktops above each other wich I didn't use anyway (I used to have four in a row before Lion).

Will miss, but based on the complaints in this thread, I understand you can't order them and fullscreen apps get their own space. I, on the other hand, do this:

So that some things take up most of the screen, like Evernote, and I can open emails and leave them out as a reminder without having to hide mail or whatever. After a few years of doing this, hitting ctrl+2 to get to mail, or ctrl+5 to find iTunes is second hand. And, with a laptop, I prefer to just use shortcuts, although I do have a BTT shortcut to open spaces, too. As I understand it, this isn't really possible at present.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

TACD posted:

You can do this. You can assign applications to 'All desktops' or 'This desktop' and quickly switch to them with CMD-1, CMD-2 etc (which I actually didn't know about until just now, thanks!)

The slight annoyance for me is the linearity of the arrangement. I'm used to moving right from my browser window for iTunes, or down for photos, it bugs me having to swipe past a list of other desktops I don't need right now. Maybe I'll try getting used to the keyboard shortcuts.

That is nice to know, but is it consistent? I have no interest in full-screening mail, and then not having all my emails arranged around me like a flower.

Basically, can I dedicate a desktop to an app, and leave it be?

Gaming is rather hit or miss, given what seems to be a completely rubbish level of optimization. So far as I can tell, it's basically "we ported this." == "wine"

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Alfred is fantastic, especially with "fuzzy" search on.

As for VLC: My biggest quibble is that it switches to playlist view when whatever you've queued up is over, so you can't hit ESC to un-fullscreen. It's annoying, but not that bad.

Also, I desperately wish I could have a separate video window, but I've not found a way to do so yet.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Fren posted:

Does anybody use me.com as their primary e-mail address? I'm kind of getting sick of Gmail's quirky implementation of IMAP. I'd like any opinions on Apple's service, especially coming from Gmail.

I still use mine as .mac, and it's fine. I don't care too much for the web interface, so I use it in Mail and on my iPhone.

Though, as a caveat, on an iOS device, gmail updates the IMAP (so far as I can tell) immediately. .mac seems content to wait until you open the mail application on an iOS device, and then it connects, and checks for mail [affirmatively], then updates what is read/unread. Gmail seems to use push more correctly, maybe, in that it updates more or less instantly.

Honestly, my usage is a horrid mish-mash of .mac, an ISP e-mail from when I was in high school, and a couple of University/Google Apps e-mail accounts. I'd say I use my .mac for important stuff, rather than a University account that probably shouldn't still work, and an ISP one that depends on my parents maintaining that account.

What do you mean by "quirky IMAP?"

But speaking of .mac/MobileMe/iCloud:
Apple is bugging me about making the switch. I have yet to actually upgrade to Lion (and kinda still don't want to). If I do so, I understand my iDisk'll go away. Will my email account still work in SL? And will my calendars/contacts remain in sync? Contacts isn't so important, but I actually use the cal synchronization, and google calendars and iCal (so far as I've experienced) is drat near unworkable. Constant 'disconnect errors' and the like.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

hot pants posted:

I'm on the most recent version of osx and am having trouble with pdfs. When I download one off of ebscohost or lexusnexus the title will have percentage symbols where there should be spaces, making it look like "this%is%how%it%looks%like". Is there any way to replace the symbols or a different method of downloading so I won't have to rename the file completely?

You could set up an automator service to replace "%" with " ", so long as it's in the filename. On SL, Preview just uses the filename as the title, at least for things downloaded off of SSRN and Lexis.

e: Open Automator, create a new Service, and then fill in the blanks as such:

It uses the "Rename Finder Items" Action, in the "Finder" Library. It'll ask you if you want to create a Duplicate file option, you can just click don't add. In the dropdown, select "Replace Text" (the default is "Add Date or Time"). Just be sure that at the top you've set it to Service receives selected "files or folders" in "Finder". Then you save the service, after setting the parameters, and you can ctrl+click/right click something in Finder and use the new service.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 1, 2012

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

x-virge posted:

A few things going on here.

Upgrading to Lion does not automatically transition your MobileMe account to iCloud. You have to explicitly begin the transition. You can keep using your MobileMe account under Lion until June if you so desire.

iDisk is still accessible until June for everyone who used to be on MobileMe. Doesn't matter if you transition or not, it'll get cut off in June. If you do transition to iCloud, you can still access your iDisk. For now.

Once you transition to iCloud, your account will not be able to sync with iOS 4 or SL. Contacts, Calendars, Mail, Bookmarks will all sync just fine with Lion and iOS 5.

Apple has a pretty detailed rundown of all this: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

Right, I know that moving to Lion won't change it: I haven't changed to Lion yet, but Apple's been bugging me about this since I upgraded to iOS 5. I'm just wondering if the basics will still work in SL. Apple's rundown assumes you'll upgrade to Lion, period. Any search for help on this returns nonsense from October last about how 10.6.9 will give you iCloud support.

I was just curious if say, the switch to iCloud changes IMAP settings or anything like that.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I like Notebook, but since I don't have an iPad, I can't say how well the sync works, or how well that version works period. Then again, I don't do much more with Notebook beyond take notes in classes and what-not. The multidex is pretty neat, if you are looking for a specific word, or number, or what-have-you, but I've honestly not dug down deep enough to try out all the other advanced bells and whistles, since I only come up with a potential use for them in the middle of class, when I can't sit around and faff about with menu options.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Okay, so now I'm installing Lion. Why the hell does the app store not ask you to confirm your CC No.? I mean, I had the right card no. and all, but still. I was slightly panicked for a bit, hoping it didn't have the wrong one.

That seems like a pretty basic step.

Anyway, after I install Lion, what sort of basic steps are there, assuming I am a curmudgeon and hate change?
So far I have 1) scrolling 2) the restore thing 3) figure out what they did to spaces.

Am I missing anything?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

^^ Yeah, that does help, although I don't really recall the last time I used key-repeat. I wouldn't've noticed that for ages.

I have no idea why it didn't ask me to confirm my CCN, since I don't think I've ever bought anything from the App Store.

Also as a bit of a strange thing, you don't ordinarily have a bunch of desktops open in MC, do you? Because I still have my six "spaces," and the applications I set to open in specific ones still do so nice and quietly. If I ever wanted to change this would those affinities be hidden somewhere quietly in a preference somewhere? I don't see anything in the SysPrefs.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

johnnyXcrane posted:

I installed Bootcamp and now if i reboot my MacBook it automatically boots in Windows, how can i change that?

Startup disk Pref Panel in System Preferences. Or if you're in Windows, Startup Disk tab in the Bootcamp control panel thing.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

This was one of the first results. It's talking about Lion, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work in SL:

Some Guy on Apple's forums posted:

Yes you absolutely can install Windows XP on Mac Lion OSX. "When there's a will, there's a way". Here's how:

1. Go to Applications
2. Go to Utilities
3. Go to Bootcamp Assistant
4. Follow the instructions, but do not install Windows XP using Bootcamp Assistant. Just create a partition using it
5. Insert your Windows XP disc into your Mac
6. Restart your Mac
7. Upon hearing the startup chime, press and hold 'Alt' on your keyboard
8. Select the Windows XP disc
9. Press 'Enter'
10. Press F8
11. Choose the option to install Windows XP on your Bootcamp partition
12 Choose the option to format the partition as NTFS
13. Sit back, relax, and let your Mac do the rest
14. When your Mac automatically reboots, be sure to be there
15. Upon hearing the startup chime, press and hold 'Alt' on your keyboard
16. Go ahead and select your 'Windows' partition
17. Well, you probably know the drill for the rest of the steps

I think I've done something like this ages ago. The problem will be tracking down the drivers for all your hardware on the windows side. I'd imagine an older version of the bootcamp installer would work, although I recall having some issues with this back when I used XP. Can't recall quite what they were, though. That and I had some stupid issue where Windows kept trying to use its own OS selector after selecting Windows from Apple's. I imagine that was just some stupid configuration error.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

UnfurledSails posted:

Whenever Safari tries to load gifs on SA threads like PYF gifs most of them either loop after the first few frames or load really chopped. Is this a known problem, or is it because of my internet connection/bad luck?

Safari plays GIFs as they load, so it'll do that until the GIF is fully loaded.

I have no idea why this is, it's just A Thing, so far as I know.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

What exactly are your complaints, people who dislike the finder? I find it to be perfectly adequate at letting me touch my files, and I love the color labels. I mean, I can see being quite annoyed if it was stuck in os 9's single-window mode.

Actually, where did that go? Used to be you could switch to the simple finder by clicking the lozenge, but that seems to have gone missing in Lion.

e. Yeah, I can see a tree being useful, if you could expand subgroups and the like. The path viewer doesn't do that, and the closest thing to that is list view.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Another thing that's been bugging me is what the purpose of "All My Files" is. I mean, if you're looking for something, you'd just search for it, and if you wanted something you'd opened recently, pretty much every program has a recent files… option. Is that intended to be some sort of step towards "You didn't really want to see what's in ~, right? Just a big-ol list of files?"

Or am I just reading too much into it due to my perception that everything is moving towards some sort of uncomfortable convergence with iOS?

And Martytoof, yeah, that'd be usable, but somehow it feels wrong to have that and the sidebar. It bugs me when there's junk to the left of the tree. And it probably wouldn't work with column view (not that it'd really need to) without something more substantial blocking it off from the open folder.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

The most annoying thing to me about column view is that I can't resize the drat things, so long filenames get cut up pretty bad.

Although I really wish the folders in the dock were double-click only; I keep trying to drag stuff and it somehow reads this as a click and opens the drat thing. So I usually do my dragging with the two-window method. The only thing that annoys me about that is that there's no context window option to open a folder in a new finder window.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Wow. I just noticed those tiny little ridges down there.

Thanks!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

Quick question about keyboard inputs and Lion deciding which input I should use:

In previous iterations of OSX, there was an option to keep your input keyboard the SAME among every document you were working on, or to allow it to change automatically. I can't find that option in the keyboard or international settings, and it's driving me nuts every time I think I'm going to be typing English and Lion decides the input should be another language instead.

I want to be able to tell it what input I want, and have that remain static until I decide to change it to the other keyboard input mode.

Any tips? Thanks!

Its in Language & Text, Input Sources tab.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

How does launchpad even sort out what goes where? On the first page it had an excel mini-app that I had to open to figure out what the hell it was. And it seems to be ignoring folders, so I have one sheet that's just full of Office 2008/2011. And for some reason they put a TeX spellcheck in a TeX folder, but then left all the other programs just sitting out there.

None of it makes any drat sense to me.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I've had to use all caps for summarizing points as headings in a few writing assignments. I'm not sure if that's standard practice or just part of the whole "Times at 12pt" writing constraints.

Also, back around 10.4, the default Italian keyboard map was the old italian typewriter layout (which is now actually called "Italian Typewriter." Since that's the layout I taught myself to use, I use it out of habit. An interesting quirk of this layout is that the number key's default, non-shifted characters are a variety of punctuation and accented characters, e.g. &"'(çè)£àé is 1–0. If you shift them, then you get the numbers. However, in caps-lock mode, it acts like caps lock on a typewriter, so you get capital letters, as well as numbers where you'd expect them! It's a pretty cool little feature.

So yeah, I think caps lock is ok. It's just another typewriter-related artifact, like qwerty.

Also, I'd imagine that designers and architects (and people who care about typography) would use an actual small-caps font, rather than have word touch your characters in bad ways.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I rather like Echofon, but that's largely for the unread tweet synchronization between my computer and phone. It doesn't do the whole multi-pane thing of TweetDeck, which I thought was sometimes handy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

explosivo posted:

I downloaded the older version of Tweetdeck that doesnt suck, it's amazing how much better version 0.38.2 is than 1.3. :sigh:

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with it?

Also, is there some magical way for Preview to not store recent items? I'd rather people behind me not see whatever pictures I was looking at previously when I want to switch between open pdfs or something.