Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Just got a new air and I noticed my battery life took a hit after installing flash. There are some sites I obviously need it for but is there a way to control it or are there proper settings I should be looking into to make sure it's not hogging the battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah Im just going to do that as well. It's the goddamn flash ads that get me, I barely use it so I think just having chrome as a back up will be fine. thanks.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Similar to Alfred are there any muist have safari plug ins?

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 1, 2011

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm always weary of stuff like bartender and like Unclutter. I dunno, I guess I just worry if they are hurting my comp's performance in some way.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Why do you need Alfred with how command space finder works nowadays? I thought that pretty much ripped how Alfred worked.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
In very simple terms, what does Moom do? I opened it up and can't tell how to resize and stuff.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yes! My fav thing to do on iOS with iPad Pro kb

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Quantum love the AV but there's the other half smh

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
My opinion is that once finder went to cmd space my use of Alfred went out the door

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

flosofl posted:

Or you can just assign cmd-space to Alfred. That's what I did.

I probably wasn't super clear. I meant, once spotlight/finder started doing exactly what I had been using Alfred for I found no more use for Alfred.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I switched to qbittorent and its fine.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah what's the deal...I use Dropbox because I've always seen iCloud leaks in the news...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
So what's better than Dropbox? iCloud?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I can't tell if the Dropbox hate is just from spergy nerds.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I got boxcryptor for iOS but how do you encrypt a documents folder...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
For real tho how does that encryptor app work? Do I need to reupload all my Dropbox documents so they are encrypted?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

For real tho how does that encryptor app work? Do I need to reupload all my Dropbox documents so they are encrypted?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

Most likely. I personally wouldn't trust software like that to be using effective encryption and to be supported for years to come. Use a password manager, use two factor authentication (but not SMS), and don't put documents on Dropbox unless you don't have a problem with others possibly seeing it.

Thank you.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I forget, why do we all hate Google now? And why does @iCloud.com have an advantage over them?

I really dislike the idea of paying a company i've never heard of to take care of my email.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Any advantage iCloud.com email has over gmail?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Or wanted to switch back and forth between a couple things that you keep copying/pasting?

(did any OS ever build this in by default?)

Yeah. Sticky Notes.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I just almost bought server last night. What is a secure way to access media from my Mac on my iOS devices away from home while the home Mac is running a vpn? Plex is messing up.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

flosofl posted:

Well they update it for OS revisions so the front-end will keep running (last update for macOS server is Sept 30, 2016). But unlike macOS, you have pay $20 for the server tools every time a new OS is released. I don't believe it really installs much and it's just a front end for a bunch a stuff that's already present and not enabled in the OS. However, the front-end really hasn't changed much and it's poo poo. If you *really* have to have your Mac run as a server, use something like Homebrew to install what you need.

If you're at a point where you need something to run services on your network/Internet, you're better off doing as emoji says above.

If you want to go the low effort route, get a pfSense SG-1000 Netgate and have it act as a VPN concentrator and connect via L2TP client baked into iOS. It is about $150, but will probably be the easiest secure way to get to your internal network with the least amount of effort.

What would this do?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What If I already pay for a vpn tho?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I am blanking and can't remember how to make a simple Automator workflow. Any help?

Anytime .epubs enter a specified folder I want them to be moved to an other specified folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Does Apple Remote Desktop have an iOS app so I can login from my phone?