Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Joe Don Baker posted:

I had not even heard of MplayerX. I just used VLC because I know that it's gimmick is 'it plays everything.' I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

VLC plays some things better, MPlayerX plays others better. I keep both around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Has someone come up with a utility that sorts your programs in the Launchpad alphabetically for you/lets you edit the folders with a saner interface. As designed the Launchpad is pretty loving useless but it would be nice if you could have it autosort.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Two things:

* The new Growl isn't supposed to have update notifications, right? Well, I built it from source, uninstalled the old one, and installed the new one, so now I'm running 1.3, but I still occasionally see the notice telling me Growl's been updated. What's going on here, and how can I fix it?

* I'm experiencing periodic lockups (maybe once every day or two). I don't get the black screen telling me I need to turn off the computer, but either the computer will not wake up from sleep, or it will just freeze in the middle of me doing something and be completely unresponsive to any mouse or keyboard input (if I have any sort of sound playing it will also make an incredibly annoying skipping sound till I cut the power). What log can I be looking at to diagnose this problem? Am I even going to find anything? It's not really a typical kernel panic if I'm not seeing the screen, I guess.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Pretty much the only halfway illuminating thing I can find in the logs before it locked up most recently was a bunch of noise from iTunes and usbmuxd so perhaps that's what's causing my system instability.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Is there any reliable way of identifying non-standard kernel extensions or anything? I'd like to clean out the cruft in my system without necessarily reinstalling.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Choadmaster posted:

Holy gently caress, why is Evernote so highly recommended everywhere I look? I just tried it and it's a total loving disaster. I'll list my issues here so at least some people get a chance to hear it may not be as awesome as reviews tend to say.

1) Fucks up pasting formatted text from other apps (i.e. once it reaches a bold segment, all the rest of the pasted text becomes bold regardless).

2) The iOS version can't handle editing lists deeper than one level. This is ridiculous for a note taking app, as lists/outlines are a terribly common way to structure notes.

3) No support for tabs. It'll just insert multiple spaces instead. Wouldn't be a deal breaker within the app (for me), but if you need tabs to be retained when you copy/paste a snippet back into another app... well, gently caress.

4) Even really basic notes with nothing but plain, bold, and italic text gives me "Some of this formatting is not supported" warnings on iOS, despite the fact that these things are supported. WTF?

5) If you switch between editing your notes on iOS and Mac, random blank lines* will start appearing all throughout your notes. Sometimes you'll hit return and get two lines, or one line where you wanted it and also another line inserted just before the line you were on. And as if to keep the cosmic scales in balance, line breaks will randomly disappear sometimes, too. So gently caress you if you want any kind of consistent spacing in your lists/paragraphs/whatever.

* Blank lines are no longer blank on the Mac version once you've edited a note on iOS. Each blank line starts with a single space character. This includes blank lines you intentionally put there, not just the ones that appear by magic.

6) Evernote on iOS allows the iOS data detectors to linkify dates. Not uncommon on iOS, but Evernote saves these links as actual links when you save your edits on iOS, resulting in completely useless links scattered throughout your notes on the Mac (links to x-apple-data-detectors://0).

A little googling revealed these issues have been around for at least six months (maybe longer, but at this point I don't care to dig further).

I don't use it to write notes, really, but I love the clipping functionality.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

priznat posted:

What's the best Python development environment on OSX? Xcode + use PDB for debugging?

You get all the classic Unix text editors if you want them.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I'm pretty new to macs and I'm trying to understand the logic behind the way OSX handles the full-screen button when you have more than 1 monitor. I have 2 monitors, and I frequently used to full-screen a movie on the left, while doing other things on the right monitor. With Lion apparently that's not possible, because when I full screen a movie, the other screen will only show me this canvas-looking screen. I have to exit full screen to get use of the 2nd monitor. This seems a little ridiculous given how hard they're pushing those thunderbolt secondary monitors for their laptops.

How can I get rid of this "feature" and be able to use my 2nd monitor while the other monitor is in full-screen mode?

If you use the fullscreen function of VLC or MplayerX (hit apple-f) they will still let you use the other monitor, but the canvas thing is still dumb.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Yea, further looking into it I see that :psyduck:

How hard is it to set up Wine? I found this thing called Wine Bottler and based off this YouTube tutorial it looks relatively simple, but even still I don't really 'get' how you put IE on there to launch through Wine.

You can set up Wine through Macports and then it's just a matter of issuing wine path/to/executable.exe from the terminal. But it might be a lot to ask of your employee to do that.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

vikingstrike posted:

On your machine you could use Wine Bottler and test it out first. If it works, you'll have a .app you can share with the stipulation shell need X11 installed. Like others said though, ActiveX may screw it all up.

Doesn't X come with the OS out of the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Tarq posted:

I am so sick of Outlook 2011.

I really like Sparrow for mail, but I can't scheduling meetings which is a deal killer for me. Are there any alternative exchange clients that support shared calendars and scheduling that doesn't suck?

Thunderbird with Lightning will pretty much emulate the Outlook functionality.