Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Agh is there any way to get all your folders Expandable/Collapsable in List view?

In Mavericks, all folders had little arrows and you could just tap Right Arrow key to expand them without having to open them.
Only random folders seem to be able to open now.

Also merging all your finder windows when you have iCloud drive working fucks the whole thing up.

Why did I upgrade to this :smithicide:

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone else not able to re-arrange dock icons?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've had this REALLY annoying problem for a while now, at least since 10.9 (and maybe even 10.8. I'm on Yosemite now) and I can't for the life of me figure it out:

When I go to shutdown my MBP (mid-2012, 13inch, 2.9 i7, 8gb ram), finder will quit and then the mac just stops on the desktop. It's not frozen but what I have to do is open up another app from the Dock , usually System Preferences and then Shut down from the apple menu again.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? It's bugging the poo poo out of me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

I have a similar thing happen. I just force it once it hits that point. I was thinking I need to reset SMC or PRAM.

Have you tried either of these yet?

Steadiman posted:

Pretty much the same here, also happens when I want to restart (mid-2012 MBA). It kindly quits all the open apps and then it just...stops. I can still swipe between desktops and wallpaper still changes but that's about all I can do other than just hard resetting it.

Yeah this is exactly my problem, I've resorted to using the power button now whenever I need to shutdown, it's very annoying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just reset my PRAM and... The other thing... (SMC?) and the problem SEEMS to be gone for now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone else no longer able to Copy/Paste between folders in Finder anymore on Yosemite?

I used to be able to just CMD C/CMD V between folders, now I have to drag. It's SUPER annoying.

Also, since the latest update I keep getting Popups asking if I want to allow Programs to Connect online, even after I've given them permission on my firewall. Anyone else getting this??

Yosemite yer a loving hunk of crap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For anyone annoyed with the new fullscreen thing, buy Moom, it's great and it can snap windows to a predefined grid. Bought it last week and I'd highly recommend it but there's a free trial!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any good software for keeping my iPhoto library backed up online while I wait for Apple to release the new Photos app? Currently I have the Library file located inside my OneDrive folder but I'd like to mirror a copy to my Google Drive folder as well. Is there any software that'll detect changes when I update my library and make an updated copy in the Google folder?

I remember software like this back when I was on Win7 but I'm not sure what's out there for OSX. Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any word on when Photos is coming?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone having troubles publishing photos to a shared iCloud stream in iPhoto? I keep adding photos to streams but they never turn up on the iPad I have it shared to. I've only managed to get one photo working so far.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GregNorc posted:

Bit the bullet and upgraded to Yosemite.

It mostly went smoothly, but I can't see any album artwork on my iphone - just text with the artisit name and song name. When I look at my music in iTunes 12.0.1.26 I can see the album art though.

I don't know if this is the problem but I had an issue where the actual album art wasn't embedded in the mp3s and iTunes just grabbed the album art from...no idea where? Try checking in iTunes if there's actually any album art embedded in your albums!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Not that anyone gives a poo poo, but Numbers / Pages / Keynote all got updated with minor bug fixes, etc.

I have just this week given up on Ms office for Mac after relentless crashing in PowerPoint so I'm all over these updates

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is anyone else no longer able to reorder a custom playlist in iTunes (lastest OSX, latest iTunes)?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think I asked this before but does anyone have any idea why I wouldn't be able to Copy and Paste files across Finder windows? It's as if the Mac "forgets" I've copied anything!
Running latest Yosemite, never had this problem under Mavericks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Biodome posted:

This is huge if they actually fixed it. It sucks watching movies with a Bluetooth paired speaker on my iMac cause the sound is always not in sync.

Yeah for real. I've not got my headphones on me so I'm gonna test how true this is once I get home.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 28, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new update fixed my bizarre iTunes issue where I couldn't move songs around in a custom playlist :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ugh is anyone else having the Facetime bug where you get a call on your iPhone, answer it on your Mac and you can still hear it calling on the background?

I think someone in this thread had it before, any fix?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol at Office iOS getting more updates than Office for OSX. What a piece of poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's because it never had any updates!

I finally changed to the Mac office suite after having to use PowerPoint and it just died every time I tried to play a presentation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

somuch_gravy posted:

Hey all, if this is the wrong place to post asking about a problem I've been troubleshooting for a bit, then I'm a jerk. I think it may be on the software side, but I understand there could be a number of problems.
I've had a macbook for a few months (i7, 8gb RAM, 1TB HDD, most current model, ya'll feel me) and I've been running it into my TV as a mirror display since I've had it. The TV is a 40" LED HD Element(cheap) from Target about two years ago. Anyhow I've been using an HDMI cable with the thungerbolt moshi adapter from apple and everything's been fine up until now.
Since about two nights ago when I plug my laptop into the tv with hopes to display as a mirror, the projection appears fine on the tv, but my macbook screen seems compressed. It's as if the my laptop's monitor becomes "widescreen" and it displays inch wide black bars across the top and bottom of the display. If I mess with the resolution a bit I can get it to fit my macbook's screen, but end up with a compressed/cropped image on the tv screen.
I'm especially partial to screen mirroring for whatever reason, so while I understand that I could use the tv as an extended monitor as a workaround, there's a number of other issues I'd have to resolve (like a gray bar running across my full screen VLC video)
The only reason this concerns me in the first place is because up until now the display fit perfectly on both screens simultaneously. If anyone has any ideas for a fix or has had any issues similar and could give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it. If not please ignore me :D
Also, I apologize for the wall of text, but I wanted to try and explain the issue as best as possible.
Thanks!

Did you try turning on and off the option for "scale best for display" or whatever it's called ?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does it have chrome cast though ?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google not releasing their apps as standalone is loving criminal. Their reliance on chrome on OS X is so bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You need to disable the play button as a global control in chrome !

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

David Aames posted:

Where/how do I do that?

I can't remember exactly but it's in chrome settings somewhere. Try the keyboard shortcuts ?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone know if HyperDock has some way of letting you click the Finder icon to open a new Finder window? I could swear this was a feature that I had working. I then disabled HyperDock by accident and when I turned it back on it appeared to be gone. Maybe I never had it??:iiam:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flosofl posted:

. My only issue so far is re-training my muscle memory to use <option><Space> as opposed to <cmd><Space> to pull it up.

You can disable the regular spotlight shortcut and set Alfred to open with cmd space

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does OSX Photos no longer have a "Delete after Import" option? I just backed up to my Mac from my 5S but it looks like all the photos are still being stored on my phone :confused:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The problem is if you delete them from your iPhone, it deletes them from everywhere I think. The Photos thing is such a piece of poo poo, I was so looking forward to it :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I know it kinda sucks for iOS integration but Microsoft One Drive is a really good alternative.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did the Photos app get any sort of update since the beta ? It was pretty crappy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I had the latest beta, any major changes since then? Adding photos to an album was a total chore. Don't know why I couldn't just right click photos and add them to an album.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

Soooo is iCloud Photo Library ready for prime time now that Photos is officially out?

Not even close.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spotlight search on my 2012 MBP is much better now. And on my 5S incidentally. Much improved performance since the beta.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adding photos to albums is actually so bad on Photos. Why can't I just right click and add them ? It always takes me ages to remember the little plus sign

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gmq posted:

How good is Photos? How much space does it use once you upload your collection to iCloud?

It'll use 30gb or whatever amount you use. Apple have only a measly 5gb free so you'd need to upgrade to a paid tier. It's pretty bad imo. Using the photos app as just an updated iPhoto with iCloud Photo Library turned off is the only way I've been able to deal with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HyperDock is worth a look

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lua posted:

Is it possible to see the photos you take on your iphone in the new photos app without uploading your mac's entire library to icloud? I don't really have any desire to do that and I'd have to pay more because it'd fill icloud up.

Hmmm, you CAN see them without uploading but you'd have to turn iCloud photo Sharing off and go back to Photo Stream. I did this cos I already back my photos up with one drive and Dropbox so I just use my iCloud storage for keynotes and stuff now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Basically turn off iCloud photo sharing on your Mac and iPhone and you're good to go.

My iPhone actually seems to back up stuff to Photos over wifi anyway. I'm not sure where I turned that on but it's great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Move it to a thumb drive and give it to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's up with the way Photos handles Thumbnails and Previews? Every so often I'll just get awfully low-res thumbnails in All Photos view. Any way to rebuild these? I know Photos actually stores them as jpgs inside the application.