Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Hey is there a chance of a Mavericks release date announcement at todays event or what?

I think the event is supposed to mainly be an iPhone event, but I suppose it's still possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Only one rational thought: yes.

I dunno, Sex Parrot, all this extra battery life on my MBA is bringing me down.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
It does stream but a dialog box pops up for every song that you need to hit cancel on before it starts.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

beefnoodle posted:

No it doesn't. The dialog is the classic "I can't find it, would you like to locate it," and if you hit cancel, it doesn't do anything further, including stream. I've experienced this many times.

You want insight, ask a member of the iTunes development team. If you want a simple answer to "does it work?" take what you got.
Sorry it doesn't work for you. Works for me with the same dialog box and everything.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

beefnoodle posted:

I'd love to learn your secret. Apple support says that the location (cloud or machine) is encoded in the iTunes database file, and there's no ability to fall back to the cloud if the DB thinks the file is on the computer. Ah well, now I'll keep trying instead of giving up on it.

It's probably because I keep my music on an external HDD.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
For some reason 10.9.2 doesn't seem to be installing. I've updated and restarted multiple times and it's still asking me to install it, and I've looked in system information and it says I'm still on 10.9.1.

What do?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Are you using the combo update?

No, just the one through the app store.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Use the combo update if the MAS gives you grief. I always use combo update out of habit.

That worked. Thanks :)

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

AlternateAccount posted:

So I am not receiving any updates or new versions of the Yosemite beta? I started on it right after it went public, but nothing since?

I think beta is updated less often than the DP.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Is there some sort of magic I need to do to get Calendar Groups to work on Yosemite?
I can create a group but I can't add calendars to it, I've never used this functionality before so I'm not sure if it's just broken or if the UX for it is just garbage.

It's all local, by the way, not using any cloud calendars for this.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
There's an app called NoSleep which puts a toggle in the menubar which lets you close the laptop without causing the laptop in sleep.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Rexim posted:

Just curious, why isn't Time Machine good enough for critical files?

I only started taking data backups seriously in the past few months and I can't say I clearly understand all of my options.

I think he meant iCloud Drive, Time Machine is fine for local backups of critical files.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Euphoriaphone posted:

Is SMS Handoff supposed to be working already in the Mac OS Messages app, or do we need to wait until 8.1 drops on Monday?

When 8.1 drops.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

flosofl posted:

Doesn't Netflx still use Silverlight on OS X? And being it's Time-Warner I know where I'd place my money.

Netflix works natively in Safari now.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Feenix posted:

It's... not attractive. Any settings where I can gently caress with that some?

Accessibility settings.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
just wanna say i've had no issues with yosemite or its interactions with iOS 8.1

thanks timb

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Peven Stan posted:

So this new continuity allegedly lets me call people using my phone on the mac. Do they have to be existing contacts or is there a dialer somewhere?

You can input a number in facetime if you don't have a contact.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Laserface posted:

Jesus christ it is totally loving stupid that my iphone 6, ipad air and 2011 iMac all share phone calls and text messaging, but I cant open a webpage on my iMac and have handoff work on either of my mobile devices.

I dont know who thought they'd catch me paying 2 grand for a new computer to get that single feature, but I hope they got fired for it.

sharing phone calls doesn't use bluetooth like the rest of the handoff features do

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Is there a way to make a bookmarklet or something in Safari that will bookmark the current page and put it in a bookmark folder based on the button, like one for "Music", another for "Articles", one for "Gift Ideas", etc?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Farking Bastage posted:

Duet Display is loving awesome.

How's the lag?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

This week's update helped tremendously.

Cool, thinking of getting an iPad Air 2 sometime soon. Being able to use it as another display is definitely enticing.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
What are people using to download youtube videos these days?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Axiem posted:

Looks like Fantastical 2 is out, and looks pretty sweet. Not a free upgrade, but I'll happily pay for good software I use every day.

...though at this point, I've been having nothing but problems trying to do anything on the Mac App Store. Apple needs to get their poo poo together.

Can you publish calendars with Fantastical 2? I'm responsible for updating the calendars for an organization I'm a part of and would rather use Fantastical 2 if it'll publish ICS files to a remote server.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues between Mac OSX Powerpoint and Windows Powerpoint? I've got to give a presentation off of a lab TA's windows laptop, running the latest version of Office, since the school has a 365 subscription.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

carry on then posted:

None that I know of, although fonts may be different but that's a minor concern. Compatibility with Windows Office is basically what sells copies of Office:mac anyway. If you can get a dry run then do it to be safe, but all your text won't be half way off the slide or anything.

Ok, good to know. It's gonna be very basic formatting so I'm not that concerned. I recalled hearing that there were issues with excel compatibility between the two versions so I wanted to make sure that didn't extend beyond that.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

tuyop posted:

I'm tired of plugging an external hard drive into my MBA. Is setting up an FTP with, say, an exFAT partition on my Windows PC a viable option instead for files up to a couple hundred MB and streaming video and stuff? Could I keep an iTunes library that way?

I'm not sure how well it works but OSX supports Windows file sharing iirc. FTP definitely wouldn't be the way to do it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Safari has started doing this thing where it'll freeze up on pages after it starts loading them and locking up the tab, sometimes the browser. It's happened a lot on github documentation pages and google and youtube search, and less often on other sites like Facebook and here.

I haven't really made any changes lately. I'm up to date except for the 10.10.3 supplemental update. I'll probably run the update tonight but does anyone know what might cause this?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Just install rtorrent on a server and never worry about what torrent software is running on your mac again.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Yossarko posted:

Hmm, I'm having Safari hanging problems since yesterday. Never noticed it before but it's happening constantly. A tab will hang while loading, I can still scroll down the page but the scrollbar stays at the top. After a while, the page is white / unrendered. It's like it can't render the entire page. It happens on The Verge articles 8 times out of 10 and other places as well. I only have 1 extension: AdBlock and I tried disabling it. No change.

When it hangs, the little cross icon on a tab does not close the tab. However, right clicking and choosing "close tab" will indeed close it. I can then "try again" to load the site. Sometimes it works, sometimes it hangs and cuts of further along the page.

Any ideas ? It doing it constantly on The Verge makes me thing it's resource related, or maybe flash or HTML5 video related.

I was having problems similar to this on a few websites until I updated to whatever the latest version of OSX is right now.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

japtor posted:

Anyone post about Affinity Photo? From the guys that released Designer a few months ago (which is a pretty awesome vector app), Photo just came out of beta and is on sale for $40 for now:
http://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Dang, I only rarely need image editing or vector editing software but I'm probably gonna end up picking both of those up.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Secx posted:

Looking for a simple, free, tool that will basically allow me to draw rectangles and resize them using units. For example, I need to draw a rectangle on a page, and specify that it is 100 mm by 50 mm.

You can generate a rectangle in Pages and set the size in the "arrange" tab. Go to preferences>ruler to change the units.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Do you guys use anything other than the stocks apps on OSX because I can't think of any other way for someone to think iTunes even approaches the label of "one of the worst pieces of software by a major corporation"

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Thanks Ants posted:

Has Office 365 (Outlook) stopped working in Safari for anyone else? I can be in private browsing mode logging into an account on a domain I've never logged into before and it will just sit there telling me it's loading and will be done soon.

It's ublock. I had the same problem and disabled it and now it works.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
How do I downgrade from the El Capitan GM to Yosemite?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Froist posted:

Out of interest, what's making you want to downgrade? Not calling you out at all, just curious.

I've been running ElCap since the first beta (in a dual boot with my existing Yosemite install) and I've found it to be an improvement all round. I've actually begrudged having to boot back into Yosemite to open my Photos library (I didn't want to risk migrating my data to a beta), and I don't want to install the GM just in case there's a last minute change, but I'll be upgrading my main install to ElCap the moment it's released for real.

Just a hardware incompatibility that won't be fixed until after the official release. El Capitan is quite nice, but I guess I can wait a bit longer.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Roobsa posted:

Just got this email:

"We recently introduced new, more affordable iCloud storage plans and your 200GB plan’s monthly price will be reduced from £2.49 per month to £2.49 per month."

Sweet deal!

They did actually lower the plan cost for the 200 GB and 1 TB tier while raising the 20 GB tier to 50 GB. At least they did in the US.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Krispy Kareem posted:

Isn't that just a Barclays credit card? I signed up for a card years ago when I bought my Mac Mini. I think you get iTunes rewards. They used to have a more traditional financing setup (similar to Dell's). Now it's just a credit card.

Yeah, it's just a credit card but when you use it at the Apple store(maybe just online, idk) that stuff will be interest free.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
So jealous of you El Capitan havers, still waiting on Pioneer to update their drivers :argh:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
i think windows 8 came with a pdf reader, my main annoyance was that it was a metro app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Remembering the screenshot shortcut became a lot easier when I thought of the 4 as an $ instead for some reason.