Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

10-8 posted:

Airmail. $1.99 in the Mac App Store. It's what Sparrow would be today if they had kept developing it instead of abandoning it to Google.
Any impressions compared to Sparrow? As someone who already uses Sparrow as an extremely lightweight email client for a sole Gmail account, how does Airmail compare?

It looks gorgeous but honestly I don't know if I'd actually use it considering my current workflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I just grabbed it as well.

My only real complaint so far is that it doesn't lend itself well to minimal views.

My previous setup was mail/twitter/itunes art on the left side of my screen all about 350x500 windows, but Airmail won't let me make it that small so I'm improvising.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Sorry if this kind of question is frowned upon, but I'm trying to do a fresh install of the developer GM and I can't figure out how to get it to recognize the disc on boot up. I did something similar with Mountain Lion and it worked fine, but now whenever I mount InstallESD.dmg to a partition or USB drive, it doesn't show up under the boot disk options or while holding option on startup.

Honestly I could probably just wait a day(?) for it to be released, but the fact that it's not working the way I think it should be working is bugging me. Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

EDIT: Got it. Apparently it's different than how it worked with ML.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 21, 2013

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah what you can do is set all the spaces up with that option and then just throw whatever image you want as your desktop into that folder as the only item every time you wanted to "change" it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Airmail has been kind of buggy for me lately, but I absolutely love it as a replacement for something like Sparrow.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I honestly have no idea if Greasekit/Ninjakit still work with the latest builds of Safari or not. I haven't needed to use them in so long I've forgotten.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

lol internet. posted:

Just to verify, I can upgrade Mavericks to Yosemite DP within the Mavericks OSX correct or do I need to boot from CD\USB? I have a time machine backup so I don't mind if my machine gets screwed up in the process.
You click on it and it opens up in the app store and you download and install it.

That's assuming you have actual developer access that is.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
New Yosimeters beta includes iTunes 12.

Looks mostly visual from what I've played with so far, but you can bet your rear end people are gonna freak the gently caress out about it and complain endlessly.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Look at this doofus who doesn't know how to properly migrate an iTunes library.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Choadmaster posted:

Hey, moving a folder from one place to another isn't the easiest thing in the world.
You also gotta search for the really ambiguously named file "iTunes Library.itl" too. They really should have made it more obvious which file you're supposed to copy to migrate your iTunes library to a different location.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Tippis posted:

Yeah, that's just it: they're not necessarily the same thing. It's the same assumption that makes the internal automated error correction in iTunes break things. Saying that you're doing it wrong when it's the method the program itself actually provides just highlights how badly thought-out the whole system is.

And while there is the consolidation method for moving the actual library around, it's really brittle and require you to follow the steps in the exact right order or you will end up with a wiped library and/or dupes.
The reason copying the iTunes Library directory directly over works is because of the iTunes Library.itl file within which contains all the information about how your library is structured.

It sounds like you're just copying the music directory over and adding it to a fresh iTunes install, which is the incorrect way to do things. If done correctly when you boot iTunes your music will already be there. If you're using the "Add to Library..." dropdown menu option at any point in time you're doing it wrong.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
iTunes thread is that-a-way nerds!

(It's me. I'm the guy that originally brought up iTunes and started this derail. Forgive me for my sins.)

EDIT: For actual content... They've changed the way that album view works and I think it's more visually appealing than the way it worked before. Basically now they take the whole album art and just apply a huge gently caress-off gaussian blur to the entire thing and use that as the background. Works nicer than the lame edge detect thing they were using from before.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 22, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Appshopper still lists it as free.

http://appshopper.com/mac/social-networking/textual-irc-client

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
People gettin' mad about spending $5 for a program they'll use for 30000 hours.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Pivo posted:

I really don't know why Apple released a public beta, to be honest. At least I don't work in IT support and don't have to deal with dummies screwing their own machine.
Free QA. Pretty simple actually.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Hey Safari's finally getting APNG support (it's working in today's Yosemite DP5). It's about time my little TEK-9s tag actually did something.
:whoa:

EDIT: To be fair, they were animated before I updated from 4->5 so it's been there for a little while at least.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 4, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact I can feel the system acting sluggish I wouldn't have an issue.
Can you though?

Nothing in that activity monitor suggest that your system should be sluggish, unless you don't know how to read it and are just imagining the issue since you think you're almost out of ram.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

decypher posted:

That's a real shame. It seems like a pretty obvious feature, oh well.
What's obvious about it?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
While we're on the subject does anyone know the terminal hack where you can edit the date added field for a file to something way in the future. I use those lame shoebox images in my stacks and if I sort by date added then it doesn't work.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

kode54 posted:

I don't get it, what is so special about this new client?

I just use Mail.app on my desktop and the default mail readers on iOS and Android. But mostly desktop, because I'm not usually out and about when I'm reading my mail.
You're not exactly the target audience.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
So did they change Messages in the latest Dev preview or am I just experiencing some sort of graphical glitch here? It's gotta be the latter...

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Zenostein posted:

It's great unless you have 1 tab open and want to know the title of the page you're on. Showing the tab bar to show one tab so I can see a page title is goddamn stupid.
I don't use tabs also I don't generally care about the title of the page that I'm currently on. If I really want to know I can just right click the Safari icon.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Pivo posted:

One thing sucks about OS X. Safari. gently caress Safari.
How so?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

What is the advantage of Safari then? I try it out once in a while but see no reason to switch.
Laptops mostly.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Basically use whatever browser you want to use, but if you're going to go around spouting dumb stuff like "Safari is poo poo!" or "Chrome feels slower imho" I'm gonna laugh at you because they're all the same thing.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I actually use Firefox when I need to spoof my location to listen to Mariners games on the radio. :shobon:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Luceo posted:

Chrome has flash built-in while Safari does not.
Why are you posting positives for Safari while trying to support Chrome? :confused:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

GokieKS posted:

Chrome has vastly better cross-platform support and syncing, better extension library and management, better integration with the services that more people use, multiple profile support, and IMO a much better UI/UX that seems to be designed by people who have actually used other tab-based applications (I haven't use Safari beta on Yosemite - can you middle click a tab to close it w/o relying on external extensions yet?). These are more important to me than power efficiency.
Then you should probably use Chrome.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit your hosts file?

Alternatively, if you bookmark smile.amazon it should pop up as a suggestion as you're typing in Amazon.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
There's one I have to use Firefox for which spoofs your location so that I can listen to MLB radio broadcasts from halfway across the country.

There's probably a Safari alternative but I never bothered looking that hard since the whole extension ecosystem on Safari is a bit disjointed.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just needs polish. Developer Preview 7 is looking pretty good, but I still feel like there are a few rough edges to clean up. I didn't have any stability issues or showstopper issues.

Maybe they can pull a miracle and get it done by next week. It's also likely the DP builds lag behind the internal development by a decent amount, so maybe they're closer to being done than we realize.

It's still weird to me that there was no mention of Yosemite, though.
The whole thing seemed a bit rushed and disjointed honestly. Seemed like they had 3 or 4 major points they wanted to hit (iPhone 6, Pay, Watch, U2) and everything else in between was just filler with whatever.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

cbirdsong posted:

Mavericks lagged about a month behind iOS 7. I don't know see any reason to expect differently this time.
The reason to expect different is that iOS8 have largely advertised "continuity" and "call/message forwarding" features that work directly with Yos, which would make it a bit strange to stagger their releases.

That said, it still doesn't really look like Yos will be out in time for next week.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
They turned off a bunch of the continuity features in the iOS8 GM, likely waiting for an official Yos release to put them back in.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Look at getting a Transport if shared storage is your main usage.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Martytoof posted:

So now that GM is upon us, I guess my big question is when they plan on turning SMS continuity back on.
It was always on in Yos wasn't it? They took it out of iOS for the time being.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
How many more GM candidates until the new Photos app is released? :mad:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

japtor posted:

Photos isn't coming until next year after release :smith:
Really? That's disappointing.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

hippieman posted:

Bullshit, all you do is chat with me on iChat all day long.
iChat doesn't exist anymore. :stare:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Wait what? It works fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Macys posted:

Hoooly poo poo; Yosemite is the most gently caress-ugly garbage I've ever seen.

Is there any way to get rid of that loving eye-sore grey poo poo surrounding my dock?
Or to re-skin Safari so it doesn't look like faded unbolded poo poo?
And where in the gently caress did List mode go in iTunes? Some of us actually like looking at their poo poo in single file.
If I wanted a loving spread of album squares I would have bought Windows loving 8.

They looked so much better before.
You're weird.

It's not "solid grey" by the way. Maybe you have "reduce transparency" enabled?

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 20, 2014