Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CaptainCaveman posted:

I'm setting up an old iMac as a sort of half-hearted server. It'll be running an IRC bouncer, a Minecraft server, and a website (a couple static pages, nothing complicated). Should I bother getting the actual OS X Server from the App Store or would that likely be overkill for what I'll be doing?

OS X Server is more for stuff with user accounts, calendars and emails, IM, etc across a single organization, not so much public web stuff. Just use MAMP or something for the website part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

dexter6 posted:

Anyone else running the Yosemite public beta? I noticed the clicks when you raise or lower the volume have gone away (the sound does get louder or softer and the on-screen image shows, just no clicks).

Is this a bug I should report or an intended feature?

The clicks should still be there, but they're a lower-toned and less annoying sound.

Is "Play feedback when volume is changed" enabled in the Sound preference pane?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Veler posted:

Hey fellow Mac goons. I recently got a Macbook Air and I`m looking for a good VPN. I live and work in the middle east so I need a quality VPN for surfing. I`m willing to pay for a service if it`s reasonable.

Thanks!

I've heard good things about HideMyAss and PrivateInternetAccess.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

eriddy posted:

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you mean, but for window placement/sizing managment I use BetterSnapTool (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12).

Hyperdock also has some basic window management stuff built in, with edge snaps and keyboard shortcuts. It doesn't do advanced configurable stuff, though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

BobHoward posted:

I think next year is a good bet. They've been preparing to ease it out for a while. There was already an unofficial plist setting to turn Dashboard off in Mavericks, and in Yosemite it's been promoted to a visible setting in System Preferences -> Mission Control.

I keep wondering if/when they'll make Launchpad into something actually usable.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Safari on Yosemite keeps stalling while loading sites. There doesn't seem to be any reliable cause—sometimes it'll get to maybe a quarter of the progress bar and then just sit there forever, but other times the same page will load normally. Other browsers work fine. Any idea what might be going on?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

Is the idea that I'm supposed to wait until Photos.app drops in a couple months then transition my iPhoto/Aperture library over to that for everything to finally be under the same happy iUmbrella

Yep.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Molten Llama posted:

HDCP's been implemented in OS X for the better part of a decade. It did not suddenly appear with your Yosemite upgrade. Netflix's recent abandonment of Silverlight (and resultant quality increase) simply brought it into your life.

As somebody who's used DVI monitors for the past decade I literally never noticed that this was even a thing.

Moral of the story: stop using a 1990s beige CRT monitor, tesilential.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Slowhanded posted:

Yep. It saves the whole install as a disk image file on your hard drive. It works pretty much perfectly.

That said, don't use it with 10.10 as a client OS. They claim compatibility but the graphics acceleration doesn't work with the changes made in 10.10, so it's slow as poo poo.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TACD posted:

When I decided to start doing cloud backups over a year ago I tried the trials of both CrashPlan and BackBlaze, and I went with BackBlaze largely because CrashPlan's app seemed really janky. At the time that felt like kind of a stupid reason but I'm feeling better about it now.

I use Crashplan despite the janky UI because Backblaze has it buried in their fine print that they delete the backups of any of your deleted files after 30 days.

Delete something by accident, go back later and look for it? Whoops, gone forever.

Crashplan, by comparison, keeps *everything*, even old stuff from removed hard drives or whatever.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Creepy Goat posted:

Just mistyped something in Terminal on El Cap and a whole bunch of access denied text flew past shortly before every app file deleted itself and the whole system started to gradually implode, freeze up then turn off and refuse to boot :v:

5 hour restore from Time Machine the night before I start a new job has taught me don't gently caress around with OS Betas on your workhorse machine :downs:

I'm guessing you typed something like rm -rf / and doing that is going to gently caress you over no matter what you're doing in terms of betas.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Which is why I hated when my company switched to some wacky middleman authentication which broke all IMAP clients and requires us to use Gmail, which I hate.

They can still enable IMAP for that, or at least app-based authentication (like Mailbox and a couple other clients use). They're just being jerks.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

binarysmurf posted:

GIven I'm not doing anything serious with my Yosemite system at the moment.. Is the latest 10.11 beta that dropped this week stable enough for daily use?

In my experience, absolutely, with the only real trouble I've run into being a couple of apps that crash often and some annoyances with Homebrew builds.

edit: Double post not intended. Oh well.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

:lol: parallels, which advertises itself as "el capitan ready", requires you to manually disable SIP to work at all

Parallels also still can't handle graphics acceleration on Mac guest VMs properly.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

suddenlyissoon posted:

I have the strangest problem with Safari. Every time I click on an embedded YouTube video, a different video plays. It's a completely random, separate video from the one that is actually embedded. This happens whether I try to play it embedded or I click the button to watch it on YouTube. The only way I'm able to watch the actual video is to refresh the page after the video has started and click play again. Is anyone else having this issue in El Capitan or is it just me?

Sounds like you installed an extension that's loving around with Youtube.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

flosofl posted:

Ulysses is another "writer focused" application that has a good sized user base (not quite the size of Scrivener). There are also good tutorials online for it as well.

I prefer Ulysses because it uses plain text for everything on the backend, which makes exporting, editing stuff with other apps, using Dropbox and mobile apps, etc way easier.

Scrivener, by comparison, uses bundles of RTF files of all things, the devs have explicitly said "we will never support plain text", the iOS app that they've talked about as "coming soon" for years remains vaporware, and they haven't had any noticeable feature updates in what feels like years at this point.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TopherCStone posted:

I would actually describe Preview as fulfilling the exact niche Sumatra does on Windows. Lightweight, fast launching PDF reader.

Yeah, that's 99% of what I use Preview.app for.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Avocados posted:

It still feels really wrong just dragging an app to the garbage to uninstall.

If you really want to be ultra-thorough, get Hazel or another app that'll clear out Application Preferences and other such stuff for the app too. That'll cover it completely for everything except the installers that spew files all over (cough cough Adobe).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

binarysmurf posted:

I write a fair bit of code in Xcode and I'm pretty comfortable with bash and the terminal. I'm curious about Homebrew but I don't see the need for it.

What, if anything, am I missing?

code:
bash
homebrew/php/composer
curl
ffmpeg
fish
fortune
gcc
git
graphicsmagick
graphviz
mercurial
node
pandoc
homebrew/php/php56
python
python3
ruby
ssh-copy-id
stow
tmux
uncrustify
w3m
wget
...to name a couple.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zenostein posted:

I'm guessing there's a /usr/local/texlive/texbin or something along those lines to keep the aliases to the most recent installed version.

That stuff is in /Library/TeX for some reason.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So now that Mailbox has followed Sparrow in descending into a total lack of development, is there anybody making an actively developed clone of Mailbox?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Does anybody have a recommendation for a replacement app for Mint Quickview? I don't care about the details too much, I basically just want the "look at bank account/credit card balances/transactions quickly from the menu bar" functionality.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

japtor posted:

Backblaze is supposed to have better software, but the big caveat with them (vs CrashPlan at least) has been external drive support, iirc they'll delete backups of them after 30 days or so if not reconnected.

Backblaze will remove any file from backups 30 days after it's been deleted or otherwise removed from the local system. This makes them basically worthless for actual long-term backup stuff.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
brew is pretty great, it's always been almost-painless for me aside from the annoyance of still needing separate nvm/rvm/pyenv/whatever sometimes for specific projects.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Slowhanded posted:

I'm pretty sure Growl has ceased development entirely.

Yeah, it pretty much died after releasing the "funnel Growl notifications into native notifications" update.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LPG Giant posted:

There's so many cool mail clients out there. Like Spark (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spark-like-your-email-again/id997102246?mt=8) and Inbox (https://www.google.com/inbox/).

But the crucial feature for me is that it has to be cross platform. I want to be able to snooze on my phone, iPad, Macbook or my PC, and have those snoozes carry over to other devices. So far, only Inbox works on all devices (though Spark say they're working on it). Polymail looks really great: tracking who's read my e-mail, being able to schedule when an e-mail is sent are two great features that I would love to have. But if it's just on my Mac it's useless to me.

Exactly the same for me. Polymail looks nifty but the lack of any cross-platform stuff is keeping me away from them. Readdle seems like they're going to have a Mac version of Spark soon (they already started sending out iPad beta invites), plus I trust them more than Polymail because of their history of making solid apps, so it's probably Spark that I'll end up sticking with for the near future.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Possible fix: Get one of your corporate clients to complain about your people using an obnoxious nonstandard font in emails.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Also check ~/.profile.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GutBomb posted:

Or you can just use transmission because it's good and they are moving to github to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

For it to happen like it has already (twice!), one of the devs' computers or servers has to be compromised and they don't give a poo poo about it, so moving to Github just means they get to pretend to be safe right up until a hacker swaps one of their Github release uploads for something with malware in it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My library is bigger than my SSD :shobon:

Get a bigger SSD.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I'm pretty stoked about Siri integration.

Edit:

It only took 22 years, but you'll finally actually be able to gently caress with people like that.

I want to see a Kickstarter to air a radio ad that goes "HEY SIRI, SEARCH FOR MY LITTLE PONY" or something.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 7, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

wdarkk posted:

That said I absolutely will not turn on Desktop/Documents sync, mainly because I really don't need or want Documents to be synced, and secondarily because World of Warships keeps all 26GB of its game files there for ~reasons~.

I have to wonder now if Apple's going to do anything to mess with all the games and apps that just arbitrarily dump their poo poo in Documents instead of using Application Support. It seems like that would be the biggest problem with Documents sync for most people.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Hasn't Dropbox had security breaches in the past anyways?

There was that time in 2011 when they allowed anyone to log in to any account without needing a password, for example.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lincoln posted:

Using an HP Bluetooth mouse, and the scroll wheel suddenly became less sensitive. If I scroll slowly, nothing happens. Until a couple days ago, a single "click" of the scroll wheel would scroll (or in Photoshop/Illustrator, option-zoom)

"Scrolling Speed" in System Preferences does nothing.

Sounds like you have a broken mouse.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

rally posted:

How seamless is running Mac OS in a virtual machine if I don't care about anything but using Xcode? No cloud services or anything. Comparable to running a windows vm? Why do I automatically think it would probably be a pain in the rear end?

I've done it before with no problems, but that was running a Mac VM on a Mac.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

gmq posted:

The idea of the Google Home and the Amazon Echo intrigue me but not enough to buy them sight unseen. Is there anything like them for macOS? I keep my computer on all day anyway.
(Don't say Siri, it lacks the "voice-activated" thing)

Home Assistant is open-source and has some bare-bones voice command support built in. Right now it can only turn other things configured in HA on/off but you could contribute more functionality if you want.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Macs are weird. Get a fake keyboard USB dongle.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

uwaeve posted:

Non-indexed search (can't remember the name of what I'm using but basically combs through files for expressions in file name or contents each time, slow but 100% accurate)

find . -name '*keyword*'
(look for keyword in filenames)

grep -rnw . -e 'keyword'
(look for keyword in file contents)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
This augmented reality stuff makes me think that Apple Glasses really will be showing up in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

I feel bad for him with the way his voice keeps brEAKing in the middle of sentences.