Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Hello Spaceman posted:

I just read this and did a little jig.

Apple does listen to us, after all.
:aaaaa:

FINALLY. Also: fix the resize in full screen thing and most of my problems are solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Crowley posted:

It seems to me that SMB connections are really really slow to establish on 10.7. Is there some way to speed that up a bit?
I use the FQDN, i.e. smb://server.name.com/share/

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Back to My Mac is fun.
It's like an 80's music video.

I once RDP'd into a Windows machine while TeamViewer'd into it at the same time. It was like I was admin'ing in stereo

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
For those of you who use multiple browsers over the course of a day: Installing adblock on every browser can be a huge pain in the rear end, especially since they vary in functionality and coverage.

I use Privoxy. It's a content-stripping proxy server. It works well, sits in the background and has a nice interface for configuring it -- right in your browser!

The nice thing about it is that it's not my browser that has to inject JS into every page load, then strip out ads based on some regex. Plus you can do neat proxy-like things, like returning specific headers, eating cookies, etc.

I personally use the one from Homebrew, but the one on their homepage has a nice little System Preference pane and some commands to help start/stop/restart it without having to get your hands dirty in the terminal.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

low-key-taco posted:

For anyone curious: I upgraded to Lion and full screen RDP still works fine.

Well as fine as it ever did. The Microsoft RDP client still hangs on occasion and requires me to kill the process but performs better than CoRD while CoRD also crashes but at least does so more gracefully.
RDP seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Sad, since there is an official client. I lean more toward CoRD lately, but I'll be damned if it's not frustrating sometimes, especially when you're dealing with production machines...

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Anyone having weird overlap issues in Mail.app?

It doesn't happen on all e-mails. It seems like only from our help desk tracking system, but it's annoying.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

pipebomb posted:

Is it an html email? Or is that actually in the header area of Mail?
That's actually the header area of the e-mail. It doesn't seem to matter if the e-mail is HTML or Plain Text.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

dexter6 posted:

All this encryption talk has got me thinking....

My current process is to back up my Lion iMac and all external drives to both Time Machine and CrashPlan. As far as I can tell, my CrashPlan data is encrypted, but my iMac and Time Machine are not. I'm pretty sure I can use FileVault to do this.

Am I correct?
Are there certain steps I should follow?
Will everything continue to function as is? I want to make sure I retain my incremental backups, every hour, etc.

Thanks for the help!
Time Machine can only be encrypted if it is physically connected to the machine, FileVault encryption doesn't work with removable drives.

Levitate posted:

What is the performance hit people have noticed while using FileVault?

I like the idea of using it, since I have a laptop and do occasionally take it places (notably on vacation), but it's an early 2009 white macbook so we're not talking about the most powerful machine to deal with taking a performance hit.

Lion seems to be running fine and dandy right now, maybe even faster than Leopard did before (I did get a 7200 RPM drive to replace the original drive at the same time I upgraded though, so hard to tell what affects the possible speed increase the most).
I don't think you'll see much, if any, performance hit with FileVault enabled. The process is seamless and much better than in the past. I regularly play games like TF2 with it on and that runs fine.

unruly fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 30, 2011

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

Thank you for explaining it, I was racking my brain how this could even be possible.
It's also, apparently, only for OpenLDAP-style authentication systems (like OpenDirectory) -- apparently machines bound to Active Directory aren't affected by this. Though, I can't confirm that personally.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

That would probably explain why this hasn't completely exploded wide open. I'm still shocked that it's taken Apple this long (and counting) to address the issue. As big of an Apple "fanboy" I am, there's no white knighting this one.
Yeah, it's pretty serious. Though, I think the major blocker here for news about it is that a lot of institutions aren't upgrading to Lion yet. Just like Windows Vista and 7, there were (are) a lot of holdouts, waiting for that 'magical' patch that makes everything all better.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Tard Helmets posted:

I'm getting really frustrated with Terminal opening "saved state" windows when I've explicitly disabled saved state for ALL application in sys prefs. I have an Automator workflow that launches a terminal that automatically SSHs into work and then opens an RDP connection. Sometimes it only launches the window I want, other times it launches a new SSH window AND the "saved state" one from the previous session. I've tried manually deleting the saved state in Finder and I've disabled this feature in sys prefs (which doesn't seem to work?)
code:
defaults write com.apple.Terminal NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false
I had to do this, I want my terminals fresh and without crappy history or saved state!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

wolffenstein posted:

A Mac's Time Machine will only interact with its own backup folders. That is to say, Mac A's Time Machine will not delete any of Mac B's backups and vice versa. Partitioning may be the best option for you.

You may also want to consider using a third-party backup application like CrashPlan. By design, CrashPlan will not delete backups when the backup drive is full.
I find that both a Time Machine backup and a service, like CrashPlan, is an effective personal backup system. Time Machine covers recent snapshots of data that you're likely to want to recover, and CrashPlan (and others) are for the long haul archival things.

Since Time Machine is free and offsite backup services are cheap and plentiful, it's really hard to justify not doing it.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Anmitzcuaca posted:

that only stops it from changing before you've pressed space and if you're typing quickly you miss it and have to go back which is annoying. I just turned it off for now anyway.
When you're typing, just like on iOS, you hit backspace on the word it corrected, and you get an option to change it back to what you wrote. Kind of finicky, though, as I have a habit of mashing the backspace button in rapid succession. Not sure if there is a keyboard shortcut for it, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

carry on then posted:

Here's one for the Mail experts: When I get email from my parents, it's always in a tiny font; I think it's just Outlook Express 6's default appearance as rendered by Mail.app. Is there any way to tell mail to display the plain-text alternative from certain senders only? I know about Command+Option+P, but I'd like something that persists across restarting the software, if anyone knows of such a feature.
I think there is only the app-wide preference for plain-text preference. You have to enable it on the terminal, though...

Otherwise, I have no idea.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

pipes! posted:

Thirding. It's like some sort of magical FTP client that fell out of the future.
It's actually an awesome wrapper around NcFTP and (now) FUSE. :ssh:

Not that that's a bad thing. NcFTP is awesome, and FUSE kicks some rear end. It's one of my first Mac purchases.

unruly fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 13, 2011

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I haven't had any issues with Homebrew. I even upgraded to Lion and my homebrew'd apps kept working.

I don't get the Homebrew hate. I love it, especially since I don't have to compile all of the core utilities just to get PAR installed.

:colbert:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Martytoof posted:

Anyone have any idea what this could be? It's popping up repeatedly in my dmesg output.

pre:
Can't load kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs - link failed.
Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs.
Kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs failed to load (0xdc008016).
Failed to load kext com.apple.filesystems.smbfs (error 0xdc008016).
kxld[com.apple.filesystems.smbfs]: The Mach-O file is malformed: Invalid magic number: 0x7201c040.
Something corrupted maybe? This is on campus and I don't really use any windows file shares so I don't know if this actually broke SMB filesharing or not. Curious whether anyone's seen anything like it before though.
I am connected constantly to windows shares on Lion, and I haven't yet seen that come up in the console. Perhaps something is corrupt.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Ugh, first major Lion problem:

FileVault 2 enabled -- Tried to setup a Boot Camp partition with Boot Camp Assistant. Process seems to move forward normally. It gets to the end and asks me to provide it with a removable disk to put some Windows Files on (presumably because the newer Lion stuff w/ FileVault encryption require some extra bits). I do so, copy seems to go fine...

Then, something strange happens. It returns to what looks like the partition window, with a progress bar below it, sitting somewhere near 40%; Above it, a label that says: Status: Idle.

I left it alone for quite a bit longer and nothing changed. No disk activity, no error windows, nothing. So I quit the program and restart the computer. Upon returning to MacOS, I notice I am short on disk space in the amount I had partitioned, but I do not see any partition anywhere in Finder or Disk Utility. It's as though the space is 'gone' (though, Disk Utility does report the correct overall size of the disk).

So, here I am, next morning. I've let FileVault decrypt the drive (still no extra partition), and now I'm burning Lion to DVD. I've backed up my important information.

Is there anything else I could try? I was thinking about booting off the Win 7 (64-bit) disk to see if the space is there, but I'm really just a little pissed that I've got to reload my system.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

My PIN is 4826 posted:

is there anything I can use in Lion to bind a gesture to a keystroke? I was so used to three finger swiping left to go back in finder and browsers in Snow Leopard, so I'd like to bind it to backspace...

I know there was multiclutch, but that stopped working after Snow Leopard :(
BetterTouchTool

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Dick Trauma posted:

If I decide to wipe my MBP and start with a fresh Lion install can I use a Time Machine backup to restore files from, or does that only work within the original install the TM was created with?
You can use a TM backup regardless. However, it's going to restore your upgraded SL -> Lion install.

I just went with the bare-metal reinstall. Honestly, I think it was a better option.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

My PIN is 4826 posted:

There probably are, but why not make them yourself?: http://www.iconicosx.com/
I can't for the life of me get this application to work worth poo poo. I've dragged in SVG files converted to PNGs with white backgrounds, transparent backgrounds, inverted, etc. Every time it either comes out grainy or with a big matte that causes a big square to appear around the icon.

I hope he fixes this, it's really frustrating to use (and slow)

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Hey Growl is now 10.7 compatible! It's also $1.99 :(

Yep, no thanks.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Sigma posted:

I've been using Growl for three years without paying for it. Two bucks for a license is a bargin.
It's also an app that has to be launched (no longer a prefs pane), and while two bucks isn't that much, it's also too much for me to justify for something I don't really use. I actually just reinstalled Lion and I didn't even realize I was missing it.

I guess I won't be installing it.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

I reinstalled not too long ago and actually couldn't figure out where Growl came from. I eventually realized Photoshop CS5 installed it, but I was confused for a few minutes as I looked through my installed applications trying to figure out who it piggybacked with.
Yeah, they actually fixed that with CS5.5 -- it's in their FAQ.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

false image posted:

They should make it a probational offense to be a cheapskate. Are you really complaining about $10 for a fully featured app that probably took months to write?
Apparently I touched on the holiest of Mac applications that even dissenting opinion should be probational :rolleyes:

I don't like the fact they're charging for a previously free application. Ergo, I'm not going to use it anymore. End of story.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

TACD posted:

I'd like to see Lynx and Ocelot used as well :) Though I guess ocelots are not that big, but it's a cute name.
Only if Lynx (the terminal text-only browser) is set as the default browser :colbert:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

computer parts posted:

Yeah, probably the most drastic change is going to be a new file system, which apparently is rather needed.
They keep having this love affair with ZFS, but apparently broke it off. I really wish they'd just finalize it and be done with it. ZFS does everything they want and more, and would be like adding a zillion new features to the OS with a minimum amount of engineering.

It's quite strange that they keep pushing forward in some areas, and then things like HFS+ are still sitting in the background, already past it's prime.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Binary Badger posted:

They might not charge Apple all that much, as Larry Ellison was best buds with Steve; now that he's dead he might let ZFS be licensed for a song.
At this point, if they had to pay through the nose, the reward would be huge for them. ZFS would bring MacOS into the modern filesystem era and basically make all the hacked in junk that they're doing now with HFS+ (versioning, etc) a breeze.

poo poo, they've already done a lot of work, and it continues today, just not at Apple Inc. (or so we are lead to believe).

I guess the major problem would be providing graphical tools to manage all the advanced stuff, like pools, etc.

:sigh:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

maduin posted:

Uninstall Flash and use Google Chrome anytime you actually need access to Flash.
This. Especially if you use Safari. Just enable the developer menu and use the 'open in' item right at the top.

Edit: And Click2Plugin to make some Flash stuff use native video decoding.

unruly fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 20, 2011

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

decypher posted:

I have been given a project at work to go through each entry of our dilapidated joke of a database and print each entry. The database entries are all accessable through a url ending in Detail.php?id=46, id 46-140. Each entry must be scaled down to fit on one sheet for print.

So far I’ve been painstakingly going through each entry one by one, page previewing, scaling down the print job, then printing. It’s a pain in the buttox.

I really want to use automator to do this for me. Is there a possibility of automator doing this for me? Additionally, I am at work using Windows but I’d VNC into my MBP to do it. So, instead of printing I guess I’d just need each page scaled down or saved into an image or PDF file so I can transfer them here to work and print.

edit: At this point, I'm desperate for any other solution than the one I'm currently doing.
edit2: This appears to be the type of thing ya just gotta do yourself. Oh well! :)
You might want to look into Fake.app.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

TACD posted:

Rule of thumb: Any time you find yourself doing a repetitive task over and over, you're Doing it Wrong. That's exactly what computers are for.
Yeah, without Fake, there is also WebKit2PNG. Allowing you to script out most of this task on the command-line.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Mithra6 posted:

I'm having a strange issue. Some characters are show up as Hebrew letters. This only happens in browsers (Safari and Firefox). I think it only happens if special characters are displayed like è, or ǹ, and so on.

Maybe it's font based? I've never seen it happen here in SA, and it seems to happen on random sites.

I've looked through all regional settings, and I don't see anything. I'm on 10.7 and it's fully updated.

Here's a print screen of an example. You can see how the search box has a Hebrew character, and near the bottom of the Wikipedia search result:

I think this might have something to do with font ligatures that (to my knowledge) only Firefox does -- Looks like Firefox and Webkit have it now. Perhaps it's taking some weird unicode hinting when trying to render that text and making it into the hebrew letter (mistakenly)?

Try it in something like TextEdit and see if the ligature happens there, as that uses the base font rendering techniques.

Edit: Links and such.

unruly fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 1, 2012

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Fastbreak posted:

Forgive me if this was stated before but search didn't help me out.

I may be doing some .Net development on a mac in the near future. Someone recommended VM Fusion for the windows instance, but is there something else you guys recommend?
If you're not looking to do anything Windows-specific (WPF, etc), then Mono is a fully .Net 4.0-compatible compiler for .Net: http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

They have an IDE which is half-way decent, though I'm not really all that keen on IDE's.

unruly fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 10, 2012

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Manky posted:

Eh, maybe you guys are right. I am overreacting. The developer signing thing could actually be a tremendous move, as it would eliminate some paranoia from downloading apps from independent developers unwilling to use the MAS. That could be a real boon, I look forward to reading some dev blogs when the story matures.
Developer signing is nothing new. Microsoft has been doing it for ages now, and while it does help with some of the malware, it's not a panacea. This new option in 'Gatekeeper' is really just a way to secure the system (somewhat) against users who click on "JOES lovely poo poo SHACK OF MALWARE" and get some DMG or Zip of malware. We've seen that the methods used on Windows to get users to launch poo poo is pretty much the same everywhere, this just out and out prevents app bundles from straight-up exploding without notification.

I'd really like to see ClamAV run as a background service and do random scans while the machine is idle, and scan items that are being 'run'. I mean, they include it with Server (last I checked, anyway), it'd go a long way toward preventing malware and the spread of malicious code to other users (by way of transferring Windows viruses).

10.8 looks to be another 10.6 upgrade, which I don't think is a bad thing.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Manky posted:

I'll admit to basically total ignorance in terms of how MS dev signing works, but if for OS X it's tied to an Apple account, wouldn't that make it more unlikely for it to be misused? Even if Apple doesn't require serious verification, it should be easy to trace/blacklist stuff as it goes through their system.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if, with those gatekeeper settings, the first time you launched a non-mas, dev-signed app, it checked online (or a regularly updated local database) for the validity of the certificate. If it's flagged, it could warn the user. I don't know.

The approach Apple is taking to policing their ecosystem is interesting. On Windows, the burden is really on the user, and the best weapon is being informed of how to avoid risky behavior. Something bad happens, sure windows sucks herp derp, but it's still kind of onthe user. The way Apple is taking things out of the hands of users is - good, probably, since ideally one company can be much more effective by itself than the collective efforts of a mostly apathetic consumer base. But that's still a big responsibility, because in the future, if something goes wrong, people will blame Apple for telling them not to worry about it.
I probably should have clarified: I love this feature. Locking down application bundle execution is absolutely a good idea to have configurable.

I'd just like to see it expanded to Security Center Essentials levels. Not that the Mac malware landscape is really as large or as dangerous yet, but it'd be another bulwark that keeps us from running down the line that Microsoft has had to deal with for.. geeze... decades now.

Also: Kirk: :golfclap:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Molten Llama posted:

Don't forget that the system already is downloading malware signatures on a regular basis and blocking applications—there's just not a pretty front end and an animated "Scanning..." bar.

It's not doing anything to stop the spread of Windows malware, but neither does MSE care about Mac malware.
You're right. Though, I would like to have some sort of System Preferences > Security tab to either give me some basic information (last download, etc) so that I can be more aware of the functionality.

Also: ClamAV. Yes, I know that MSE doesn't give two shits about Mac malware, it's not like we can't be good citizens and remove/quarantine it when we find it. Again, this service doesn't need to be particularly in-your-face like MSE, but it should have a presence somewhere so that when some drooling middle manager or "TECH XPRT" comes by to deride OS X's apparent lack of security, they can be easily proved wrong.

Also2: Can we get a .pkg uninstaller?

Also3: If I install iMessage Beta, am I going to completely ruin iChat for the foreseeable future?

unruly fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 16, 2012

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Holy poo poo Safari 5.2 doesn't do a max tab size. This looks weird.

edit: more importantly, the search box is gone. It's a unified address bar finally.

I wish there was a way to back port the new Safari UI :( I hate not having unified URL bar -- also: can we finally customize our search engines?

Messages "fullscreen":

unruly fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 16, 2012

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

You mean like custom queries/syntax? Doesn't look like it.
More like I don't want Google, Yahoo! or Bing, can I choose a new provider (like DuckDuckGo)?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Doesn't look like it.
:argh: AAAAAPPLLEEEEEEE!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

priznat posted:

That looks awesome, and cant wait to get home to try out Messages. So glad I can toss Adium, it seems to suffer from trillian-itis where it just keeps on getting bigger and more complex and annoying.
Sometimes that's good. I was able to connect to our Lync server using a SIPE connection. The Mac Lync client has more features, but drat if I use them.