Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Here are my notes regarding FileVault in Lion. For reference, Legacy FileVault is the Leopard/Snow Leopard implementation.
  • You can upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard while Legacy FileVault is enabled. After installing Lion, you will get a prompt when you launch the Security & Privacy preference pane in System Preferences asking if you want to disable Legacy FileVault.
  • You can use FileVault WDE alongside Legacy FileVault in Lion if upgrading from a previous OS. Once all Legacy FileVault accounts are decrypted or removed, the Legacy FileVault tab in the Security & Privacy preference pane will disappear.
  • You can optionally store your boot partition's recovery key with Apple using your Apple ID account. You will be required to answer multiple security questions. I have chosen not to give this information to Apple, so I have not tested this capability.
  • Lion will not automatically encrypt your Time Machine drive/partition after upgrading and enabling FileVault. If you re-add your Time Machine in System Preferences, you will get a prompt asking if you want it encrypted. I suspect this might be improved in an update.
  • You may encrypt any Journaled HFS partition. To do this, you use "diskutil cs convert /path/to/volume" in Terminal. CS is short for CoreStorage. You will be prompted to enter a password used for disk decryption. Encryption can be removed with "diskutil cs revert". You can learn more information about Disk Utility's CoreStorage capabilities with "diskutil cs".
  • If you mount an encrypted HFS partition, you will be prompted to enter a password to decrypt the disk as needed. You can opt to save the password in your Keychain.
It's really nice not have to dick with encrypted sparse bundle disk images anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm sure any Mac with Lion installed can use FileVault WDE. Of course it won't be readable by older OS X versions. Encrypted partitions aren't visible to Windows when using Boot Camp, even with Boot Camp 4.0 software.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Martytoof posted:

Hmm. OK so any tips on importing a keychain into Lion from a 10.6 disk?

- Keychain Access / File / Import Items...
- Navigate to /Users/olduser/Library/Keychains
- Can't select login.keychain because it's grayed out :smith:

This might be my cue to start using 1Passwd.
Instead of importing it, try adding it. File > Add Keychain...

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Martytoof posted:

I thought about that, but I'm a little concerned that I'd be adding a second login keychain. Will it give me the chance to rename it or something? I guess I could just try, but this is the kind of thing where I'd rather err on the side of caution.
You can rename it in Finder. Yes it is adding a second keychain, but the stuff you want can be dragged and dropped into your current keychain.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Small White Dragon posted:

Ah, crap, developers now get a code for a free copy of Lion from the App Store. :argh:
It's "free" after paying $99/yr. If you're looking to get Lion for cheap, you can't beat the Mac App Store.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Terpfen posted:

* Mission Control's integration of Spaces. No need to go to the freaking System Preferences pane to set up a grid layout; just go to Mission Control, click, and drag. Though I do miss Spaces' ability to assign an app to a specific desktop. (I used to have a 2x2 grid and would set iTunes to automatically open in the upper right desktop. No longer.)
Right-click the dock icon, open the Options menu, and choose the desktop assignment.

Terpfen posted:

* No Reading List toolbar button in Safari. I hide my bookmarks toolbar, so it's odd that Apple wouldn't have a full-size button that could be added next to the URL bar. Top Sites has both a full size button and a bookmarks toolbar button, so why not Reading List?
Customize your Safari toolbar. There is a Reading List button next to the Back/Forward button.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Echo_ posted:

So what do I change on the trackpad settings so I can two finger swipe for back/forward in chrome?
Nothing. Ask Google to implement it.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Ziir posted:

Homebrew vs Fink vs MacPorts

Which one do you guys prefer and why?
Homebrew. Less space, updates more frequently, low maintenance.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Captain Charisma posted:

How do you turn off the "hold key to get symbols" thing that was adopted from iOS?

This is EXTREMELY important, as now I have mere milliseconds shaved off my life now that I have to type each 'o" individually whenever I need to type nooooooooooooooo
You could add a text substitution in Language & Text preferences to replace "ooo" with "ooooooooo". I haven't found a way to disable the unicode character substitution pop-up.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

royalejest posted:

So if I download Lion from the MAS, I get 5 licenses per the MAS rules.

If I buy a new computer that comes with Lion, do I get 4 licenses for my old computers?
The new computer doesn't count. Not that it matters because Apple doesn't care about how many computers you have.

quote:

Can I use apps from the Mac App Store on more than one computer?

Apps from the Mac App Store may be used on any Macs that you own or control for your personal use.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Use two fingers, and it only works in Safari for now.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I understand your hesitance to use Migration Assistant, but it really is the best tool for this case. I suspect your trouble with the Tiger to Leopard migration were related to the different processor architectures, which isn't a problem here.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Wait why are you guys loving around in ~/Library anyway?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

moron posted:

Sorry if this question has been asked already (I've scanned the last few pages)...

What's the deal with Lion upgrades for machines running Snow Leopard Server? I have a Mac Mini server and want to upgrade to Lion Server - will I still have to buy the Lion Server applications separately? If so, will it preserve my server configuration?

FWIW, the server doesn't do anything particularly complicated (i just use it as a file server, Time Machine server, etc), but I'd rather not have to recreate shares and such like if at all possible.
http://images.apple.com/macosx/server/docs/Upgrading_and_Migrating_v10.7.pdf

Xandu posted:

It's a fun program, I wish there was an iphone app for it though, at least to do the scanning. I don't have the patience to hold thousands of books up to my computer.
You can thank Amazon for killing that app.

vlack posted:

I never much had a use of Spaces before, but I'm kind of liking keeping Mail and iTunes in their own Spaces, full-screen. However, whenever I slide back to my main desktop Space, all my apps are out of order! That is, I expect the app I was just using right before sliding over to look at my Mail Space will be on top of the other apps, and having keyboard focus, but it's not necessarily like this when I slide back.

Is there a fix for this? It's really annoying.
Uncheck "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use" in System Preferences > Mission Control.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'd file a bug with Apple, and for the mean time, use CMD+Tab.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Currently there is no iBooks app for Mac, only iOS devices. I suggest providing Apple with your feedback.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's a new feature in Lion. It isn't advertised much. Essentially, "Arrange by" groups files together by whatever characteristic, then you can "sort by" within the groups.

http://www.tidbits.com/article/12320

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I think Fusion will use integrated graphics when the 3D display driver is disabled and use dedicated graphics when it is enabled.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Auriak posted:

I apologize in advance for my noobness, but I am trying to learn my way around Python. I took this advice and installed my own copy of Python 2.7, however when I execute Python from Terminal it appears to be running the version that came pre-installed with OS X. How do I get Terminal to use my version so that I can install Django and whatnot?
You probably need to edit the $PATH variable to put your Python installation path in front of OS X's installation. Google can help you do this.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Dan Hollis posted:

Anyone else's "Caffeine" app no longer starting up automatically upon login under Lion?
No issues here. You can add Caffine to your Login Items in System Preferences > Users & Groups.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

my stepdads beer posted:

Is it possible to put tabs on top in the new safari?
Probably not. I still miss it.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Anyone else get this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Migration Assistant will copy all your data to your new notebook. It will not erase anything on the old notebook.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Try "sudo chmod -R 777 ~" in Terminal. This lets all users on the OS to do whatever they want with your home folder's data.

Note this is a very bad thing to do security wise, so if things are fixed after this, repair permissions or manually set permissions back.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yes I made that clear. For the sake of troubleshooting, it's eliminating a permissions problem with the home folder. If the problem persists, something's really hosed with the OS installation or the user account.

Disable SSH and file sharing beforehand if they're enabled.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Obviously you haven't read Petey's posts. He's already tried Repair Permissions among other troubleshooting steps.

He has backups, he seems to be the only user on his Mac right now, and he's been advised on the danger of the command. It's up to him if he wants to try my suggestion or not. Or hell, use 755.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You could also try chmod -R 755 on ~/Library/Preferences and creating a new user account to see if that error still exists.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
They're awful because they don't use any application already included with OS X (You want irssi? Let's download and compile our own version of Perl for an hour). This can waste a lot of space.

The other big problem is they have only certain people in charge of updating packages. With Homebrew, everyone can submit a formula, and the author updates Homebrew all the time. If you need to wrie a formula, it's really easy even if you haven't seen Ruby.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If you want Windows-based acceleration, install MS IntelliPoint for Mac software.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Midnight- posted:

Is there anyway to get Finder to display files/folders the way Windows does? With the folders at the top and everything after that?
Arrange by Kind.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
The recommendation remains the same: Fusion for stability but not cutting-edge. Parallels for performance but bugs can appear.

Both have free trials so you can decide which suites you better. For Diablo 2, either will work, but I recommend Fusion since it's less prone to breaking after an OS X update.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Absolutely love CrashPlan. It's secure, reliable, and easy. I used their seed service, which was really easy. They ship you a drive and a paid return label, you back up to the drive, ship it back, and a week later your online backups are incremental from the seed.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yes that's very possible with Disk Utility.

Use "tmutil compare" in Terminal to see what Time Machine is seeing as different on your Mac compared to your latest backup.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Boot Camp question:

I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 and noticing a lot of graphical tearing. I'm using AMD's latest Mac graphic drivers for W7 64bit, but they haven't been updated since January. Is it safe to use the regular Radeon drivers in Boot Camp? If so, which drivers should I install?

Mid-2010 iMac, Radeon HD 5750.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

NerdsMcGee posted:

If you are using FileVault 2 in Lion, does it show up in Windows at all after installing the Boot Camp utils? (I'm guessing no.)
You're correct, it doesn't show up. Any Lion-encrypted drive won't show up in Windows.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

TheState posted:

Second question: anyone else having an issue in Lion where your bluetooth mouse isn't recognized on startup? When that account screen shows up, I have to use a USB mouse to click the account and then I can use my bluetooth mouse after I log in.
Are you using FileVault? I notice this with FileVault enabled (because the login happens before the OS is loaded), but with it turned off, no trouble with my magic trackpad. I can't remember the last time OmniGroup had a sale.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
^^ cool its pissflaps

TheState posted:

I am using FileVault. That's really weird.
I don't know enough about EFI and FileVault, but it's likely Bluetooth isn't yet turned on when the Mac is at the FileVault login screen. Maybe Apple can fix that in an update. I have extended AppleCare on my iMac; I might just call and ask.

dexter6 posted:

All this encryption talk has got me thinking....

My current process is to back up my Lion iMac and all external drives to both Time Machine and CrashPlan. As far as I can tell, my CrashPlan data is encrypted, but my iMac and Time Machine are not. I'm pretty sure I can use FileVault to do this.

Am I correct?
Are there certain steps I should follow?
Will everything continue to function as is? I want to make sure I retain my incremental backups, every hour, etc.

Thanks for the help!
Yes you can use FileVault to do this. Be sure to read CrashPlan's FileVault and Time Machine articles for full details, but you shouldn't have to do anything special to get CrashPlan working with FileVault enabled.

You can encrypt external disks using Terminal.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

rear end Catchcum posted:

Just got a new air and I noticed my battery life took a hit after installing flash. There are some sites I obviously need it for but is there a way to control it or are there proper settings I should be looking into to make sure it's not hogging the battery?
Install the ClickToFlash extension, then whitelist the sites you need it for.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Ddi you follow GlimmerBlocker's uninstall directions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
For future reference, you can do that with the Flash preference pane in System Preferences. You can also do it at Adobe's website. Not sure why cookies affected Flash's video playing abilities.