Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I just upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard, and I'm missing the "three finger swipe for backward or forward in web browser" feature. It doesn't seem to be the same as the change pages gesture under "More Gestures." I could set it up in better touch tool, but I don't see why they would remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Does anybody have a good Google Reader/Mac/iPhone RSS reader solution? I've been using Newsfire for a few months on my MBA, and I find it helps me waste less time checking websites for updates. I just want something like that that uses google reader to sync read status between my home and work macs and my iphone. Bonus points if it can automatically download full articles into the feed even if the feed tries to give you just a snippet. I'm happy to pay, I just don't want to pay for a crappy solution.

I don't like the google reader website interface, it's too busy.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Corbet posted:

Reeder for Mac/iPhone/iPad. Best in class.

You and the Mac App store rankings agree, thats good enough for me.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I installed Reeder on my MBA and my iPhone, and it seems pretty sweet. I didn't even know about Readability, but Reeder uses it and it is nice. My only complaint so far is on the Mac version. I have it set up full screen, with two columns on the left not taking up much space. The text is on the right, and it doesn't use up it's space well. The text remains narrow, and there is a bunch of empty space on the right and left of the text. Does anybody know how to change that, to make it use more of that space?

modig fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 24, 2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

The nVidia drivers are updated over the ones in SL, probably tweaked for Lion.

The drivers aren't updated during a normal install?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Rabble posted:

Is anyone else's MBA sucking up battery and running hot with lion?
Mine ran crazy hot for a while, then after a day settled down to a more normal pace. There was some process taking up 20% of my cpu, I think it was reindexing the drive or something.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I'm running Lion and I enabled FileVault. Is there any way to turn off the need for a password after 1 hour? 1 hour is the longest time allowed in the preferences. I know it defeats the purpose of FileVault, but I really just want to turn on the password when I travel, then leave them off when I just use my laptop around the house.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

NoDamage posted:

Has anyone else found that scrolling left and right in windows is now a massive pain in the rear end? Especially Finder. It randomly stutters and stops instead of scrolling smoothly.

Edit - Actually, it's ONLY Finder that has this issue, Firefox and Thunderbird scroll just fine.

Makes navigating deep folder hierarchies really cumbersome.

I wonder if it's because the page turn gesture is a two finger sideways swipe by default, which is sort of the same as a two finger sideways scroll.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

meme23 posted:

I'm sorry but no amount of use will get me adjusted to the awkwardness of the palm pinch.

Agree. I just click launch pad in the dock.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Anal Volcano posted:

:raise: "Dragging their feet?" Chrome Canary (equivalent to Firefox Nightly) has two-finger swiping, Lion full-screen, etc. I doubt it'll take more than a couple months to hit Stable, and no more than a month to hit Beta. In the meantime, nothing's broken - you just need to enable three-finger forward/back gestures in the Trackpad preferences.

As for the UI, meh. Can't say it's much more out of place than the new iCal or Address Book (shudder).

Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't figure out how to do this. Can you explain better?

I've turned on swipe between pages, but that doesn't do anything in Chrome. I'm running the stable release.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Anal Volcano posted:

Click that highlighted dropdown menu and make sure it's set to two or three fingers.

Thanks for the picture. Yeah I have that set, it doesn't do back or forward in Chrome. I'm sure they'll fix it soon, but I thought you said it was already fixed? I'm running 13.0.782.215

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Anal Volcano posted:

:raise: Three-finger gestures work just fine here. You don't have anything weird in the background that would affect it, like MagicPrefs or BetterTouchTool?

Score. It works now. I had some stuff in BTT that was interfering.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
So my 2010 MBA upgraded to Lion is now starting to perform like crap sometimes. Often Chrome becomes unresponsive for a few seconds Looking in activity monitor I saw kernel_task up at about 150% cpu. Right now it is at 5% with 71 threads.

There are threads about it on Apple support, claiming it has something to do with overheating the CPU. There is a link to possible workaround here: http://tech.superhappykittymeow.com/?p=258
They reccomend deleting AppleIntelPenrynProfile.kext

Anybody else run into this?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Accipiter posted:

What's wrong with VirtualBox?

I used it to run SolidWorks and Sonnet on windows XP, haven't had any problems yet.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

decypher posted:

Oh japtor, is there anything you don't know? Thanks man. I was seriously mystified for months about this crap.

There is a Grab app in Utilities, I just use that now. No shortcuts to remember.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
What does 1password do that lastpass doesn't do?

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I feel dumb asking this. How does one view their photo stream on their Mac? I took some pictures on my iPhone, and the Photos app lists many of them as being on my Photo Stream, but I have no idea how I would look at them or use them on my Mac.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

FLX posted:

I just tried out the Parallels Desktop 7 trial version and I'm amazed how far it has come. I think I tried it two years ago for a little bit and was pretty underwhelmed. Now though, I can even play 3D games properly in my virtual Windows 7 :monocle: Are there any coupon codes to buy it cheaper than $79 at the moment? I don't really need it, but it sure is a lot more comfortable than running Windows with Boot Camp.

VirtualBox is free and not quite as good, but still free.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
LastPass is free and syncs between computers on it's own (doesn't require Dropbox, which my work just banned). Plugin works with with almost all desktop and browser combinations. Mobile app costs $1/month, but you can use the website with a browser for free, though it isn't optimized for mobile at all. They store your encrypted password file, it is only decrypted locally.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

rckstar79 posted:

This is absolutely correct. The price might initially seem steep, but it's worth it. (If you're a student, there's an academic discount if you buy it from the fantastical site rather than the app store.)

I wasn't in the market for a new Calendar app, but now maybe I am, Fantastical looks like a big step up from iCal.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
My MacBook Air won't reconnect automatically to the wifi at my parent's place. My brother's MacBook pro and my Mom's HP Windows Vista Laptop will reconnect fine. My MBA will connect if I go to the drop down, but if I close it and reopen it, it has no internet until I do the drop down. I only rarely have this problem on any other routes, and never this consistently.

The MBA is running 10.7.2. The router is running DD-WRT v24 (05/24/08) micro, with WPA2 Personal TKIP encryption.

Any ideas?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Sigma posted:

Do you have bluetooth on?

Bluetooth is off. I'll try g like only wolffenstein said.

edit: g only and switching from TKIP to AES doesn't help. I'm spending way more time trying to solve this than it would actually cost me.

modig fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 24, 2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Just bought Pixelmator. I could get by with Paint.NET just fine, but there is nothing like that, so Pixelmator seems like a nice option. Not very expensive, seemed easy enough to use.

I use inkscape a bunch at work, I just wish there were a native OSX version, even if it cost $10 or so. Since most of the time I'm just adding text labels to things, I can probably use Pixelmator for a lot of what I use inkscape for.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
9TEFWHKLWTHA
Checking out Weathermin. Someone should right a javascript thing to give out codes and let people click to show that they are used.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Why doesn't grab have a fit-to-page printing feature like Preview? Why doesn't it have 'save and open in preview because grab is loving worthless' option?

Command-C, Switch to Preview, Command-N

Or try Skitch, it seems to be like SuperGrab, you can event put arrows and text on.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I have a question about photo storage. I currently have a Desktop Windows 7 PC that I store (and manage with Picasa) most of my photos on, and then I have a subset of them exported from there to my MBA, iPhone, picture frame, etc. My router is dying, and I want to reformat the PC to only run steam pretty much. So I'm looking for a solution to manage all my photos from my MBA, but actually storing most of them on a remote drive. I'm thinking of buying a Time Capsule, so I could use that for the remote drive. (I have about 40GB of photos, and 35GB free on the MBA)

I'm wondering about the software... can I use Picasa and import to network drive directly, and view photos from the network drive directly? Will that actually perform well, or will it be dog slow? What about iPhoto, can I import the Picasa information such that it actually remembers things like captions and faces? Does iPhoto work well with a network drive.

If anybody has any good info or ideas I'm all ears.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Bad iCal/Google Calendar behavior in Lion

I have two computer running Lion, an iMac at work and an MBA at home. They are both synced up to my google calendar account. My iPhone also syncs to that account as an exchange account. Here is a typical scenario:

iMac: Create an event by typing "test at 4"
iMac: Double click new event named "test", it has the correct start time, and a an alert set to "Message 1330 minutes before" (despite having a default alert for 10 minutes before in perferences)
iMac: Click edit
iMac: Change the alert to "Message 30 minutes before"
iMac: Click done
iMac: Double click on event named "test", it has an alert "Message 30 minutes before"
iMac: Wait about 5 seconds, the alert changes before my very eyes back to "Message 1330 minutes before"
MBA: The event "test" has an alert "Message 30 minutes before"
iPhone: The event "test" has an alert 30 minutes before. Or other times an alert 22 hours and 10 minutes before. It is inconsistent.
Google Website: The event "test" has a Reminder "pop-up 30 minutes before"

I can do the same thing reversing the two computers, though I haven't verified that the iMac actually get the correct message. This is really annoying, it worked fine before I updated to Lion. Does anybody know what is going on and/or how to fix it?

Also I could just switch over to an iCloud Calendar, and share it to my google account. But as far as I could tell from the google website this doesn't work because of the Robots.txt settings. Can anybody confirm/deny that?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I would like this. I don't know why I find the column view so annoying, but I can't stand it. The favorites bar is implemente way better (mostly just more consistently) in OSX than Windows 7, I like that a lot. But I don't like that I end up opening two windows just to move files from one folder to another.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
A new behavior I would like is if the downloads folder on my Dock would give me the most recently downloaded file if I drag and drop it. Instead it disappears and I have to put it back. Probably this wont go in since it is inconsistent with other things.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

chimz posted:

If you have it sorted by date added in fan mode, you just click on it and then the most recently downloaded file is the one closest to your mouse, you can drag and drop that.

I'm so used to doing that that sometimes I simplify it by just dragging the downloads folder. Seriously the downloads folder on the dock is one of the biggest time savers for me vs windows.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I have a late 2010 MacBook Air. I'm running Snow Leopard and Chrome. Now when I watch Youtube videos (maybe others, not sure) they play mostly fine, but every 30 seconds or so the video freezes for about 1 second. The audio keeps going fine, and the video recovers and stays synced. Not sure what is going on, but I know it didn't happen 6 months ago.

I watched activity monitor and my CPU usage isn't maxing out as far as I can tell. It might only happen with embedded videos but also not sure.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Is the CPU spiking at all, or is it hitting the net/disk at that point?

Yeah it looks like it is spiking the CPU at the same time. I watched activity monitor more and it looks like Chrome Renderer and Shockwave Flash were using up more CPU during the spike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tutu posted:

My MBA has started requiring a password after waking from sleep. I haven't ticked the box for that to happen in Security and Privacy and can't seem to turn it off. Any idea why it's happening and how I stop it?

Did you turn on File Vault 2?

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Kalix posted:

I've searched and tried for a long while to replace Onenote in some form.
The Onenote replacement I have found is GrowlyNotes:
http://growlybird.com/GrowlyBird/Notes.html
Evernote is more of a 'store everything' reference wise, rather than the greatest notetaking system ever.

I've never actually used One Note, but it sounded like exatcly what I wanted for an all electronic lab notebook. I settled on One Note, since syncing between my phone and mac was pretty much the number one requirement, even over usability. It's formatting abilities are pretty basic, but it syncs well. I'm pretty happy with it, and since my new lab has no cell service I'm tempted to upgrade to premium for offline use. Either that or set up a rouge Wifi network against IT's rules, which is probably a bad idea.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Reeder is now marking everything as unread for some reason. I'm not sure if it is Reeder's fault or Google Reader's, but I now have like 10k unread items. I have marked all as read about 3 times, and it just goes back to all unread after 30 minutesish.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Installed ML, tried out Safari 6. I feel like it is noticeably faster than Chrome now, are there benchmarks that back this up? Between that and the fact that they added the one search/url bar I think I'll switch to Safari for now.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Yeast posted:

The last Sunspider has Safari 6 on top, for now.

I'm realizing now that chrome gets instant search results up faster... so when I type "for" and hit enter I end up on the forums, and with Safari I end up on some stupid search page. Maybe I'll go back to chrome.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Winszton posted:

I'm using Google Calendar online right now but would like a desktop app, if there's a good one out there.
My use will be almost exclusively using it for time management for college homework, assignments, club meetings, etc.
/Lots/ of days will be filled with "all day" events, until the night before that day when I decide what chunk of 'tomorrow' I'll use to accomplish them.
However I don't need a to-do function. Just something where it's easy to have half a dozen unscheduled events in a day, and then drag them into specific blocks of time.

Any advice? I have OS X 10.6

Calendar? Link it to your google Calendar by adding an account.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I have 2 outstanding issues with OSX, that have been happening on my 2010 MBA running ML, the issues have been going on since Lion at least.

1. On wake up from screen being closed for more than 1 hour it goes to password screen due to FileVault. Sometimes (~1/20) I can type in my password immediately. More often (~19/20) I have to wait about 5 seconds for it to respond at all.

2. Most of the time (~8/10) after I type in my password, iCal has an error about having the wrong url for my google calenar. I just close the error and it always syncs just fine. edit: just happened on a 2 minute close, exact text:
code:
The URL https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/mygmail@gmail.com/user/encountered HTTP error 302. Make sure the URL is correct.
I've googled both of them quite a bit, but haven't come up with anything useful.

modig fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002

decypher posted:

2. Have you tried removing and re-entering the google calendar?

Yeah I did that, seemed like it might have helped for a few days.