Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Browsing the web with Chrome and listening to songs in iTunes consumes 20% more memory on average in Lion than in Snow Leopard. Any ideas why? This phenomenon doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm on a 2.8 GHz C2D iMac with 4 GB of RAM for some context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

echobucket posted:

64-bit iTunes? Just a guess.

:confused:

I'm using 10.3.1.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm trying out the new Safari. Is there any way to select the entire URL in the URL bar with one click a la Chrome?

Also cannot wait for Safari to include an omnibar of some kind.

Otherwise it uses far less resources than Chrome. Weird.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Mo0 posted:

oh god, this is the one adjustment I have yet to make. Verizon just loves giving me their useless search page when I enter search terms in the URL box. One bar for everything seems like it'd gel with Apple's insistence on removing interface clutter, I wonder why they haven't done it.

Yea, I get a TWC search whenever I accidentally search via the URL bar out of habit. Can the underlying search engine be changed? I'd be a very happy boy if so.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Also, why does iTunes sort numeric entries last yet OS X sort numeric entries first? I want my 10cc at the top of my library, damnit. :argh:

I've noticed it for years and have expected a change with every update. Alas...

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 21, 2011

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Ask and ye shall receive.

:worship:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

IUG posted:

Didn't see anyone reply to you on the page you posted this on, and I'm catching up with the thread still.

In iTunes you can right click on any file(s) and go to sorting. Sort the artist by 010cc and that will put it on top of the numbers. Frankly, I go with "Ten CC" (if I had that artist), or anything similar with any number-named bands.

I think I misspoke. I'm wondering why iTunes puts all number-named items after all letter-named items while OS X puts all number-named files and folders before all letter-named files and folders.

Here we go:

It just seems bizarre to me.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Safari fails to handle 8+ tabs with any reliability.

Back to Chrome I go.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What are your specs? Safari has no issues with dozens of tabs across multiple windows on my iMac with 8GB of RAM.

2.8 GHz C2D with 4 GB of RAM.

Gmail's the most complex page I've used today.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I have an external HD via Firewire--no blank DVD or flash drives. Can I cleanly reinstall Lion? If so, how?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

decypher posted:

I am ignorant to the reason why the FW HD maters. You hold down option upon boot and select the Lion Recovery disk. I imagine from there you open Disk Utility and delete your old OSX partition, create a new one and continue on with installation.

I assumed I'd have to put the install file on the external HD in order to delete the current partition on my boot drive. But instead what I can do is create a new partition on the boot drive, install Lion on the new partition, and then delete the current partition from the new partition?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I want to find all files of a specific type (ex., all playlists of m3u type) in Snow Leopard. I've tried searching the appropriate directory for *.m3u but Finder finds nothing.

Am I erring anything or missing something?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Xandu posted:

I don't think finder recognizes the *, try just searching for .m3u.

D'oh.

That worked--thanks.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Make sure to uncheck 'Put the disk(s) to sleep when possible' in Energy Saver.

Doing so cured all of my external HD woes.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What's a good, free timer for Snow Leopard?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Not sure if this is the place or not, but I applied to the Genius position and will be interviewed later today. Any advice?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

In iPhoto can you have sub-albums?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Spectral Debt posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned but I don't wanna go through 80 pages but is there a legitimate replacement for itunes? I'm still hung up on winamp, I love the organization and layout of it. Is there something comparable?

Cog's fairly Winampish. I think the designers stopped supporting it long ago, though.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Kalix posted:

Couple of pages back someone was asking about a To-Do list app, but it was excluding Omnifocus and Things.

Is OmniFocus the reining app? Do any of you use this kind of software?
Seems pricey but right now i'm just using Gcal to plan things out, and for tasks that require multiple steps it isn't easy to make Google Calendar work.

Should I spare my wallet or have any of you find Omnifocus or a similar app conducive to Work/School?

Also - IOS5 supposedly has some new features that are Omnifocus like, but given that I've never tried the software not sure what that means.

Similarly how does BaseCamp compare to OmniFocus and Things?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Yesterday I installed a Flash update. Now I learn there's malware spreading around under the guise of a Flash update. How can I tell if my Flash update was legitimate?

It seems like a legitimate copy. I didn't click any buttons; the update just appeared like other Flash updates have. I just want to ensure my system is still safe and sound.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I checked both Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences and User/Library/Preferences. I'm clear.

Out of curiosity which does the tilde refer to?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Looked like the latter screenshot. Should be good to go.

Thanks, guys.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is there any way I can sign up for one of these email addresses in Snow Leopard?

e: To clarify a bit more--I only want an @me.com address. I do not care about any of the other iCloud features at this time. I would imagine I could do this on the Internet somewhere but I don't see a way as of yet.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 13, 2011

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm trying to watch a WMV on Snow Leopard. I've tried both VLC and Flip4Mac to no avail. VLC played the audio but couldn't render the video. Specifically it stated, "VLC does not support the video format G2M3. Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this." I found a video that converts it but that's only within Windows.

Anyone know how I can watch this video?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 17, 2011

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I just bought an Air and want to stream videos from my iMac through my router. What's the best way to do this?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

maduin posted:

It's pretty much the same as it is on Windows, which doesn't mean he's wrong when he calls it terrible.

I'd say every version prior to 2011 was significantly worse. Everything about those versions felt slow and bloated. Office 2011 feels like there was some actual care and time put into it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Holy God, I disabled Flash in Chrome and my battery life has almost doubled. Man, gently caress Flash.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is there a way to show 'Busy' contacts in the Messages drop down menu? It only shows my Available contacts.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What do you guys think of Pulp?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

My 13" Air has now gone blank for about a minute twice over the last two days. Both times I was simply browsing the web with an amply charged battery.

I've never really seen anything like it before. I started off pressing the keyboard and mouse trying to awake the computer, but nothing. Eventually I pressed the power button and things seemed to revive about 10 seconds after that. Is there some key combination that my subconscious has recently taken a liking to? Or is something really wrong here?

I've got nothing. :confused:

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 7, 2012

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

pfdotn posted:

You're not putting anything magnetic near the base of the trackpad? I had my Air sitting on top of $employer's issued laptop and the magnet in its lid tripped the Air into sleep mode.

There is nothing magnetic near the trackpad. But your question does make me curious: is there a way to put the computer to sleep solely by the trackpad?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

How is Sequel Pro? I use SQL Server Management Studio at work and would like to do some personal databasing on my Mac. It seems to be the leading 'alternative' from a few minutes of Googling.

Or should I look into a different language and IDE/manager?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I use MySQL workbench

I'll check this out--thanks.

Also, is there a consensus on the best Twitter client? I don't need it to do much, but profile editing and replying with the previous message would be tops.

e: Free's nice, but I don't mind shelling out the cash if it's worth it.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 14, 2012

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

We should expect the iTunes overhaul at the conference, right? God, I'm so ready for that.

PLEASE HAVE QUEUEING FEATURES.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Keynote or Powerpoint, preferably Keynote.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I remember almost everyone complaining about attaching a monitor to their laptop. What was the exact problem?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

For the last half year my Air's fan has been going nuts after about 30m of iTunes, Safari, and Twitter. I've checked Activity Monitor, only to find that the dock is using anywhere from 80% to 160% of the CPU. About two minutes after I end it, my computer acts normally.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I'm looking to get a monitor for my future Mac Mini. I came across the Dell U2913WM, which has a natural resolution of 2560x1080. Does OS X support this? I can't really tell from the Display section of my Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cbirdsong posted:

The Mini's Thunderbolt port supports resolutions up to 2560x1440, including signals passed through a DVI adapter.

Thank you. Looks like I can spring for the 27" after all.

:)