Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Textual not work on everyone else's 10.7 install? I mean the free one, not the App Store one. Mine just bounces then quits :smith:

I don't really want to switch back to Colloquy but I might for now if the only one that work on 10.7 is the pay version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. OK so any tips on importing a keychain into Lion from a 10.6 disk?

- Keychain Access / File / Import Items...
- Navigate to /Users/olduser/Library/Keychains
- Can't select login.keychain because it's grayed out :smith:

This might be my cue to start using 1Passwd.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I thought about that, but I'm a little concerned that I'd be adding a second login keychain. Will it give me the chance to rename it or something? I guess I could just try, but this is the kind of thing where I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I've basically been importing or otherwise copying that keychain since like 10.3 I think, so it's amassed quite a collection of garbage. It won't be the end of the world if I have to start over with a clean keychain.

DBFT posted:

Just to confirm - I can't download Lion yet can I? When it's available I guess it'll be the featured app on the App Store?

Correct. Apple store itself is down right now, so it'll likely come up with Lion ready to go.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 20, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

You can rename it in Finder. Yes it is adding a second keychain, but the stuff you want can be dragged and dropped into your current keychain.

Awesome, thanks! My only concern was that it would somehow confuse the system with regards to which the actual login keychain would be.

I'll go ahead and add this as a second user keychain then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like Secure Virtual Memory is now on by default with no way to toggle it? Not that I'm complaining or anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm really glad I made a new thread for Lion. In a couple years we can go back to the early pages and laugh at what we thought was novel, just like I did yesterday while going through the parts of the old OS X thread which corresponded to the release of Leopard.

Exposé was, and is, still the coolest loving thing I've ever seen added to an OS. Even now when I use it I still think "drat this owns" if I actually stop to think about it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

duck monster posted:

Anyway, is there a way to turn down the size of the fonts/icons in the sidebar in mail and finder? What used to fit neatly in the top of the sidebar now is bigger than the screen. I'm not sure this OS is well optimized for a 13" macbook.

SysPrefs / General / "Sidebar icon size"

Not very granular control, though :(

It looks a lot better set to "small" though. Even "medium" feels like the sidebar is too big and bold for some reason.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whoah, holy poo poo -- I didn't do any real in depth testing on this before I upgraded, but it seems like my TF2 framerates are up like at least 10-15FPS in 10.7. This is with an ancient 9400GT no less.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Terpfen posted:

No, there is no advantage to a clean install. Just install on top and be done with it.

I mentioned this earlier, but no one seems to have noticed. Valve has basically been waiting for Lion—actually, GLSL 1.3, which Apple refused to add to OS X before Lion—to improve Source performance on OS X. The question is whether or not they'll issue an engine update to take advantage, or if those performance boosts are already built in, and we had to wait until Lion's release to take advantage of them.

I'd imagine that Lion's GPU drivers are incredibly better than Snow Leopard's as well.

Yeah, this is easily one of the coolest features of Lion now. I'm not a huge gamer or anything, but if I can get a nice game of TF2 going and not have to worry about a case of 15fps then I think I'm gonna pay it more often.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Haggins posted:

Cool, now how do I get it to move over so there isn't an empty space?

That'll probably resolve itself once you login/logout, 10.6's did the same thing if you pulled parts out every now and then.

There's probably some system service you can kill -HUP to kick it into recycling, but I don't know off the top of my head what that would be.

edit: One of my new favourite things is how I can now just Spaces-switch to the Dashboard, as it should have been from the get go. Now I can play TF2 without accidentally hitting the dashboard F-keys :woop:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 21, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also is Xcode 4 going to be free for Lion users forever on the App Store? Kind of pissed I paid five bucks when it first hit the App Store since I basically bought it specifically so I'd be ready to install Xcode when Lion shipped :q:

edit: Not rage-pissed, but you know how it is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fungah posted:

Apparently you can't. It has to be set as your primary monitor (got that from the anandtech review).

That's kind of lame. I'm going to guess this will be like a 10.7.4 change at some point maybe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone else with an MX Revolution (or similar) mouse and 10.7?

I'm trying to bind the "search" button above the main scrollwheel to launch Mission Control, but none of the button selections in SysPrefs launches it. So far I managed to bind it to the thumb wheel but that's less than amazing.

Also other stuff like the thumb <- -> buttons to actually behave like back/forth buttons in Chrome/etc.

Any recommendations?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh awesome, I'm not sure why I expected them to not be Lion compatible yet. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is anyone with Logitech Control Centre finding that it makes TF2 unplayable?

All of a sudden I can't click on anything in the TF2 UI reliably. Sometimes I can't click on buttons the first time and it takes a few hits, or other times it looks like it's clicking somewhere not even remotely where I intended to click.

I can't seem to select the hl2_osx executable to exclude it from LCC control either. Really weird :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

priznat posted:

I'm curious, what's this for? At first I was thinking G15 keyboard type support but a quick google and it's talking about webcams and stuff.

It's to enable all the 300 buttons on my Logitech Rev MX. I don't think it actually has anything to do with webcams but I could be wrong.

e: Also, I downloaded this, told it to "help" the TF2 app, then I could select it in LCC and it seemed to magically not suck anymore. I don't know what it's doing behind the scenes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Yeah I'm thinking that might be the issue. So how do I remove it?

This is how I've always done it:

http://macdevelopertips.com/xcode/how-to-uninstall-xcode.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cool little hack to enable 10.7 fullscreening in any application that doesn't yet support it. Just enabled it in Lightroom, have to say it's pretty awesome.

YMMV obviously, and make backups/only work on copies of apps for the love of god.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NotShadowStar posted:

Google, just like everyone else, has as Developer Previews since February and they're just now getting around to thinking about fixing things. Errgh.

If you look at the bug notes, that one guy was fighting for his current implementation of fullscreen so I guess they didn't actually see anything "wrong" with what they shipped :v:

Looks like it's only now that people are complaining that they're being all "oh hey I guess maybe we shouldn't use a native fullscreen icon for something that doesn't conform to the expected fullscreen behaviour :confused:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there no way to permanently delete an iOS app in iTunes? I bought some crappy apps that I never plan to use again, but every time I delete them iTunes seems to pop them back into the "Available iTunes Downloads" section.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Select the app in iTunes but hold down option and delete, you should get a window that asks if you want to keep the files or move them to the Trash. Select move to Trash and you shouldn't be bothered again.

Will give this a shot, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Personally, I like fullscreen apps a lot more than I expected to, I just need to figure out how to map ^+↑/ ^+↓to Mission Control.

Disappearing scrollbars are dumb, though. They're a sensible compromise on a tiny screen, but you lose useful information with them.

I love fullscreen simply because it moves an App into its own space.

And isn't that the default key mapping? I have ctrl-up mapped to Mission Control and ctrl-down mapped to All Window Exposé.

And yeah, disappearing scrollbars aren't my cup of tea. Scrollbars provide an important sense of context in large documents and data sets :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

natlampe posted:

You can't get the old, fat ones back, but you can get permanent scroll bars:
Preferences > General > Show scroll bars: Always

Oh yeah. I think this is like the first thing I enabled so I actually forgot that they disappear until people bring it up. I'm more upset in principle that they made the decision to make them fade out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh. Some weird bug where the on-screen keyboard would pop up and reappear every time I hit any key. I finally button mashed enough settings to get it to not do this.

I guess it's not unexpected for a first release, but Lion is a lot buggier than I remember any of the other major revisions being in week one :(

I've had coreservicesd, Finder, Dock, and systemUIServer.agent all segfault since I installed, some repeatedly..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No, I'm exactly the same way. I think the green button just makes an educated guess and tries to resize the window to some "sane" size given its immediate content or something like that. No idea, and I've been using it since the original 10.0 release.

Grr, bug in Mail.app where it won't let me expand certain conversations.

e: Oh, I guess it won't let you expand any [1>] conversations? That's kind of lame. It would be neat to be able to click through to the original message :mad:

e2: Yes, I know it will show them inline when I click on the [1>] message anyway.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 28, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Umm, in Console.app, how do I undo "Ignore Sender" in the main System Log query?

Like I ignored Finder but now I can't find any way to bring the Finder messages back?

e: Short of deleting ~/Library/Application Support/Console/ASLIgnoreList.plist, I mean.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 28, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MrEnigma posted:

Anybody got a lockup when starting to play a flash video? It's happened to me twice now, have to hard restart, nothing else is responsive even though you have control of the mouse.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196498&highlight=

Edit: I'm scared to open flash videos now...

Check your Console log and see if coreservicesd segfaulted. I'm exhibiting similar symptoms: Retain mouse control, can drag windows around and interact with them, no keyboard input possible, apps just start crashing after interaction. Happened once when I tried to open QuickTime with Perian (admittedly unsupported thus far) and once yesterday, though I forgot what I was doing at the time.

Lazyhound posted:

The traffic light thing doesn't really bother me, that's what keyboard shortcuts are for.

Yeah, honestly, I can probably count on two hands the number of times a month I actually use the traffic lights. I'm so used to just hitting cmd-w/cmd-q/cmd-h

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What happens if Safari is fullscreen and a popup window is spawned?

e: I er -- I guess I could just try this myself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone tried Flip4Mac in 10.7? Their site says that Lion support is "coming soon", but I'm curious whether that's just "we're still testing stuff but the current implementation works" or "poo poo's broken son". I'd install and check myself but I'd rather see if anyone has any firsthand experience before I potentially introduce some instability.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Playing WMVs ? That got a whole hell of a lot better in 10.7. Any of the export and conversion stuff in the pay versions ? No, haven't tried 'em.

Nope, that's all I needed to hear. I only ever had the free version myself. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo, this completely explains why I have QuickTime processes that continually show up in ActMon but there's no QuickTime visibly running.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The new "keep apps open after they close" mechanic in Lion has hosed with my Trash behaviour more than once.

Both times I downloaded short clips off the web, played them in QuickTime X, quit quicktime and dragged the clips to the trash. A day or so later I try to empty the trash and lo behold "xyz.avi is in use". A quick lsof in terminal reveals QuickTime to be the culprit, despite me having closed all (visual) instances a day prior. Kill -9'd QuickTime and my trash empties just fine.

Looks like Apple might not have a QuickTime bug on their hands since I guess it should relinquish all files when it closes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Alright that helped, but I have one video file that is still there that trash says it can't empty because it is still in use. I don't have VLC open anymore...?

open terminal:

"lsof | grep -i [part of video filename]" will tell you what process is using the file in question

Then you can kill -9 [processID] or you can kill it from the Activity Monitor. In any case, see above -- this is exactly what happened to me, except with QuickTime.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of Finder foibles:

When is Finder going to be smart enough to realize that when I Cmd-I with a group of files selected I want to act on the files as a group, and I don't want it to bring up 400 Inspector windows.

Is it that hard to do? iTunes asks you if you want to act on your selection as a group if you have more than one file selected. Just duplicate that behaviour :confused:

That whole inspector window needs a huge revamp in terms of functionality, at least in this respect.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

unruly posted:

code:
Control - Command - I
Does a multi inspect window.
code:
Alt - Command - I
Brings up a pallet, changing to what you select.

Those have been around for ages, but yeah, I do agree that it should be an option.

Oh whoah, thanks a million. That (first one) should be the default behaviour :stare:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just tried to pull up a well seeded ubuntu torrent and it worked fine for me. Wonder what the difference could be between everyone whose isn't working and everyone whose is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Is there any reason that this "Keyboard and Characters viewer" icon would spontaneously appear in my menu bar?

edit: when I unchecked the box to display it, a US flag popped up in its place for language & text preferences. wtf?

Had the exact same problem on day one. I had to keep unchecking both things (language menubar option and keyboard/character viewer option) but eventually it disappeared. Not right away though, and for a while every time I typed anything on my keyboard the keyboard viewer would pop back up.

Hasn't happened since though, knock on wood.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Right, but when I typed anything on my keyboard it would show up in the menubar again :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not at my mac right now, but something baffled me yesterday when I was working on a file in TextEdit. I instinctively saved my work as untitled.txt just so I wouldn't lose anything. After that it wouldn't let me "save as", only save a version and "save". So effectively untilited.txt was the name until I changed it in finder. Is this the intended beaviour? No more "save as" once you give the file an initial name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I realized just how many text editors I had installed in 10.6, and how I nearly always opened up TextEdit out of sheer habit anyway :q: