Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Office is a huge reason customers (particularly enterprise) stick with Windows. If Apple could have a quality Office counterpart for OS X, that removes a huge barrier for entry to the platform.
That and the fact that macs are a complete pain in the dick to manage and offer mac-oriented services to (the CIFS experience is pretty lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When I got an iMac I dropped Outlook and never looked back.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

If you want to delete messages in one place but not in another, don't use IMAP.

Edit: I understand that the option also wasn't necessarily clear, but it also sounds like IMAP isn't what you want to be using.
Use IMAP with a service that provides a decent quota or use a local repository (but it'll only be available on the machine you made it on).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Also don't forget BetterTouchTool's Aero snap clone features. Drag on a window, bring your cursor to the top of the screen and release to maximize, or drag to the left or right edge to fill up half the screen.
This is one of the things I can't deal with not having when using other people's machines.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

duck monster posted:

Its a great looking iiteration , but its not even remotely ready to use yet. I think they are being waaaay too hasty rolling this out.
It seriously looks like they went:
1) "hurray it finally compiles!"
2) Major release!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Butt posted:

Migrate to using Notes instead once Mountain Lion hits.
You can use Notes synced to IMAP already. Bonus is that anything with a mail app can read and probably write them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

To think that Apple almost had ZFS support and then didn't makes me madder than it should.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Did they ever give a reason for it?
Licensing. It doesn't help that Netapp did (and patented) a lot of the cool stuff in WAFL that later appeared in ZFS. ZFS makes more sense to me though.

Bob Morales posted:

Why is the Microsoft RDP client such a flaming pile of poo poo? I swear half the time I close a session it never closes and I'm stuck in some quasi-connected state with a black window that won't go away until I force quit.
Use CoRD.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 19, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

flavor posted:

Number of times me and other Mac users that I know have lost files/data in mysterious ways that wouldn't have happened on ZFS: 0.
That's nice and all but hard drives in general are untrustworthy, unreliable pieces of poo poo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

El Duke posted:

pretty sure that was his exact point.
That's not what he said.

The point is that cloud storage will happily take files that your local filesystem's already corrupted. Generally, a local FS will always be a necessary pit-stop for your bits, so why not make it less sucky. They took DTrace for free, they could have done the exact same thing for ZFS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

It will be way too slow, sorry dude. Either invest in an external USB or Thunderbolt HDD.
A decent card is a good deal faster to install windows from. We have a boot media on photography-grade SD cards for our laptops at work and that poo poo's blazin' yo.

marmot25 posted:

Since I have to keep the results in 1password anyway, I just made up random strings.
This is how you should answer all security questions.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 24, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

A Mac Boot Camped and running Windows is equivalent to a Windows machine to just about anything.
Yeah this. Once you're booted into windows it's pretty much a PC

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The XKCD Larper posted:

My only idea right now is to write protect the directories that photoshop is using for scratch on my SSD. But I suspect that is going to break it.
Why not mount a directory from another disk at that location instead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You want to connect how? SMB? Also it might drop ICMP.

Either way try with the windows FW disabled.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ZFS isn't much of a hog until you enable fancy features.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IUG posted:

Skype has a preference for which speakers to use, and you can choose your output for the system (and therefore iTunes) by option clicking the volume menu bar option if you have it there.
Pretty sure 10.7 has discrete default in/out device settings. Skype goes through a wireless headset shared with my phone, but system sounds go to my headphones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Has anyone gotten Windows 8 RP x64 to boot successfully in VMWare Fusion? I just get an infinite loading throbber.
I think there was a Fusion update to fix W8.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's people's favorite ssh session management app? Ideally something like CoRD :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm having the weirdest input mapping bug. All my keys are mapped according to the US layout, except tilde which now inputs § and ±, the swedish layout. What the gently caress, apple.

I just want this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 7, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm having the weirdest input mapping bug. All my keys are mapped according to the US layout, except tilde which now inputs § and ±, the swedish layout. What the gently caress, apple.

I just want this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg
Fixed with an Ukelele custome layout. I just wonder why it's worked for so long.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Whenever you get a password recovery question at signup, I strongly suggest you wail away at the keyboard for a minute in the answer field instead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Arivia posted:

Why would you sandbox a diary app?!
More like why would you not.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pipes! posted:

I swear I'm not a shill for Alfred, but I just stumbled across this Extension tutorial for quickly starting new projects and pulling live code down automatically. I'm sure it could be bent and tweaked in all sorts of different ways:
http://youtu.be/jMsM3L2asGk

I don't understand why you need alfred instead of just saving that shell script locally and running it with an argument.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rabid Koala posted:

Can you tell me how you did this? I don't mind using Mail, but it sucks that its inbox isn't synced to my GMail inbox.
You just point mail at the relevant sent/trash/draft folders on the server. Note that mail lovse calling everything a mailbox instead of a folder.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The FS on the NAS doesn't matter so much as the protocol you use to access the files (SMB in the case of NTFS).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Decius posted:

Does this mean if I use Samba it doesn't matter if I, for example, use ext4 as file system, even if Windows and Mac OS aren't able to fully access it, since Samba does the work for them? Or should I still use a file system all three systems can read/write (FAT is out because of the file size limit in any case and it seems all have issues, but HFS+, NTFS, exFAT the least of all).
Yes. The local OS never sees the remote filesystem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just start your bootcamp partition on a VM and use outlook there. Mac outlook is useless.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Photobooth glitches mean there's a fuckup in a 100% apple stack, so I'd take it to a shop.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

It could also have been an ATM skimmer
Most probably what it was.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do not install the logitech poo poo. Use bettertouchtool and map buttons to gestures.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BTT does everything better?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Like what? I've been the logitech software with my MX Revolution and M510 with no issues whatsoever. I've had the Revolution for like 4 years.
App-specific bindings in my case (I have another, non-logitech pointer).

e: TBH, I tried the drivers once and like BTT better but my opinion of their PC software may have tainted my judgement at the time.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 2, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, no I don't mean to imply that my opinion is in some way superior to anyone else
WE KNOW YOUR KIND, MISTER!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

As bored as I am with the somewhat stale color palette and general look of the current Apple lineup, these reasons are why I don't jump to Google for tablets and MS for a desktop OS. The quality and consistency is ridiculous. I always have to laugh when I hear people say Apple stuff is horribly overpriced and hear how they gently caress over their customers. Apple treats us with respect and knows we want really, really good quality all around. I can't remember the last time I really felt like I was dicked around by the company or their products. Even my ridiculously old MBP would run fine if it had a working battery.
The hardware is decent and the OS consistently needs a shitton more regression-testing and performance tuning before being allowed into the wild. This is speaking as someone who owns 5 grand of apple stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bevis of nazereth posted:

Just a quick question. Any recommendations for a decent mouse to get for an imac?
I had a g9x which I hated (my hands are too big, middle button is *way* too stiff).

Now I use QPad 5K's both at work and at home, and I have no complaints. It's light, the shape is great (RH only), and the sensor rocks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I've been using macs for a long time but I've never actually used Boot Camp. Now it looks like for school I might have to so I was wondering, is any good? Is it easy to switch back and forth and do all Windows programs work with out a fuss? Sorry if this is a stupid question/has been answered.
Works peachy. Works even peachier when you boot your bootcamp partition in a VM.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If your account has a password it'll request it on wake up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It looks more and more like they need to get over themselves and do a "fix poo poo up" release.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Are your batteries ok? I never use the apple board since it's an uncomfortable piece of poo (looks nice though), but I keep around for special characters and it's never missed a beat unless the batteries were done for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

diehlr posted:

You'd probably be much better off using a Thunderbolt based external drive. I can't imagine storing iTunes on a NAS would be anything but slow and quirky.
good NASes are great for media sharing, actually.