Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Anyone have a fix for Microsoft Communicator 13.1 and 13.1.1 crashing upon sending or receiving an IM? A colleague said something about a special release, but my google skills are weak today...

Continuing on the Microsoft track, I'm hoping the Lion improvements in Mail and iCal will finally allow me to ditch Outlook for Mac...even the 2011 version kinda sucks balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Millions posted:

Can anyone confirm if Lion has any troubles with HyperDock?

No problems here - the author pushed out a good number of updates yesterday and did a major version numbering change for Lion. Version 1.1 is supported under Lion and I've got build 1.1.1.

x-virge posted:

Choose one of the options that includes the three-finger gesture:

oh god thank you!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Is there a way to restore the three finger up and down gestures to go to the top and end of a document/page?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Is filevault encryption going to screw my ability to share docs and such with coworkers via drop box? Or mess with the contents of the folder so that others aren't able to view and whatnot?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

gregday posted:

The FileVault2 in Lion is completely different than the old FileVault. It encrypts the whole disk at the logical volume layer instead of the volume format layer, so HFS+ doesn't even know it's encrypted. In other words, nothing whatsoever will be different from a user perspective.

Turn it on. It's great.

Kickass, I thought that to be the case but wanted to double check.

She's encrypting now, going pretty fast...thanks!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

echobucket posted:

Well, I hit my first big software incompatibility with Lion. Office Communicator 2011 crashes when you try to send an IM. :(

Are there any alternative communicator clients for the Mac?

Downgrading to build 13.0 will fix this for now - builds 13.1 and 13.1.1 will both crash when sending or receiving an IM.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

echobucket posted:

Where can you get 13.0 to downgrade from?

We had a copy sitting around somewhere that was getting passed around to all of us Mac users. I uploaded it to Mediafire in case you want to grab it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?t8cp65n9214bb0d

I don't think I'm breaking any rules here... :ohdear:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Am I missing something with Filevault 2 and Time Machine?

It looks like I can encrypt my backup drive, but it says it must erase the drive first...which kind of makes the whole time machine thing not work so well.

Any tricks to get my existing backup data encrypted or do I really need to start from scratch?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Mikey-San posted:

Not all partition schemes support CoreStorage. Can you post a screenshot of the actual alert the Time Machine pref pane shows you? Also, the output of this:

diskutil list

Sorry, I've been away from my time machine drive for the last several days and haven't been able to catch up with this thread yet.

Here's the error:

And the diskutil list output:

code:
tspurs:~ qutius$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *300.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         299.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:                  Apple_HFS mac os x               *298.9 GB   disk1
/dev/disk2
   0:     Apple_partition_scheme                        *999.5 GB   disk2
   1:        Apple_partition_map                         32.3 KB    disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS My Book                 999.4 GB   disk2s3

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Oneiros posted:

Assuming that is your TM backup drive, it appears to be formatted using the partition scheme for the old PowerPC macs (APM). It needs to be GUID and as far as I know there is no non-destructive method to convert between the two.

Well that's stupid.

Thanks for the info! I don't have a huge problem blowing things away and starting over but I figured it would be best to at least check.

Cheers!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've been running an Intel 320 SSD for a while now, which has been excellent. Recently, I ran the couple commands to enable trim for the drive in Lion. I confirmed after rebooting that the controller saw the feature enabled and haven't thought about it much until today.

I was showing a friend how to enable it, and where to check that the change took - I see that the controller on my machine is no longer showing trim enabled. I thought this was a one-time change, can anyone comment on how to make this stick? Should I worry about it on the 320?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

markus876 posted:

You probably enabled TRIM before installing a 10.7.x update (which contained an updated version of the kext you modified and thus overwrote your modified version with a newer "stock" version that did not enable TRIM for your SSD).

You'll have to re-enable generic SSD support after any OS X update that includes a new version of the disk kext - not a big deal as long as you remember to.

I like this method more than the "enabler" program: http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

I just saved the commands in a .sh script so I can pop open terminal and run it real quick after an update.

Ah-ha, good call! I didn't think about the patch, thanks!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Anjow posted:

Adobe Flash keeps trying to update itself. It will pop up a box and piss me off. Anyone know how I can stop it doing so?

Let it update itself so it stops prompting? :v:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Martytoof posted:

Evernote question:

Um, maybe this is really obvious but is there any way to put a note into text-only mode? I'm constantly pasting things into Evernote and they always come in with the source formatting. I realize I can "Paste without formatting", but in 99% of my notes I don't need formatting anyway so just plaintext would be best.

Any ideas?

I know this isn't the best answer, so maybe someone will chime in with a better one...

But, I run into this issue quite often and have a habit of pasting things in a plain formatted TextEdit window, then re-pasted into whatever the final destination is.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

aherdofpenguins posted:

Is there a way to just completely remove spotlight's "top hit"? It's never what I want. 99% of the time I want a dictionary definition or an app to open, but 99% of the time spotlight's top choice is finding some random use of the word I typed in the spotlight bar in an e-mail I received like 5 years ago. There's an option to change the order in which results appear, but that does jack poo poo nothing since spotlight's top hit always comes first and it's always wrong.

Have you tried something like Alfred? I use the free version as a Spotlight replacement and never looked back.

http://www.alfredapp.com/

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

aherdofpenguins posted:

Just d/led this and seems to be perfect! Is there a way so I don't have to type "define ______" in order for it to define something?

Yeah, you can change that keyword to whatever you want:

Alfred Preferences > Features (button on the top menu) > Spelling

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Djimi posted:

Are you asking to be reported to the Apple Ministry of Forced Obsolescence and Upgrades?
It's FREE!! C'mon! It must be good. Buy just one other inter-operative iOS ecosystem Apple device, and it is a must. I guarantee it.

The faster Apple pushes out the software, the longer I wait to use it. It's true that as of yet I don't use the wizwaz features of Continuity, etc. But that's because I like a firewall between my devices. When I use my phone, it's a phone, with a few apps. When I use a computer, it's not a phone, nor do I want it to be. Again I'm not the demographic, nor a guinea-pig. Oh and did I mention - it's ugly. Aesthetically it's still a bit garish (and I don't think of myself as someone who gives a rat's rear end about that stuff usually.)

Maybe in time (when I have no other choice, if I want to use the hardware), I will like it. And my universe will be whole and complete. That's just me.

you feeling ok buddy?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Sad Panda posted:

Anyone else not that fond of El Capitan and SIP? I liked XtraFinder. As someone who came from Windows, being able to press enter to open a file is just natural. I don't see why cmd + o is somehow a better option. I also want my folders back to the top of the list.

I've been missing XtraFinder and TotalTerminal quite a bit...considering turning it off but that doesn't seem like a great idea either.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Has anyone had issues with installing the 10.11.1 patch? I've got a mid-2012 Macbook Pro running El Cap and wasn't able to get the upgrade to work via the App Store. After downloading the patch from Apple, the installer gets to the point where the system tries to reboot, but hangs from there. It seems like Finder doesn't shutdown correctly, or hangs, and interrupts the patch process. Trying to relaunch Finder doesn't work either, and it remains stuck in the "application not responding" state. I've let the machine sit trying to reboot but it is never actually able to proceed, and trying to reboot via the Apple menu doesn't do anything either.

I am able to reboot via the terminal (or just do a hard shutdown) but the upgrade process doesn't kick off and instead I'm just booted back into OSX. Any ideas?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Had the thought to clear the PRAM, that did the trick for whatever reason. Updated installed no problem after that.

qutius posted:

Has anyone had issues with installing the 10.11.1 patch? I've got a mid-2012 Macbook Pro running El Cap and wasn't able to get the upgrade to work via the App Store. After downloading the patch from Apple, the installer gets to the point where the system tries to reboot, but hangs from there. It seems like Finder doesn't shutdown correctly, or hangs, and interrupts the patch process. Trying to relaunch Finder doesn't work either, and it remains stuck in the "application not responding" state. I've let the machine sit trying to reboot but it is never actually able to proceed, and trying to reboot via the Apple menu doesn't do anything either.

I am able to reboot via the terminal (or just do a hard shutdown) but the upgrade process doesn't kick off and instead I'm just booted back into OSX. Any ideas?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Alan Smithee posted:

Does anyone happen to know if Amazon Prime's free book borrowing program for kindle/fire extends to Amazon book apps for ipad/iphone? Or if there's even a way to get it to work on desktop/laptop compys?

yes, all of your books will show up on each device you have the Kindle app installed on.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

uninterrupted posted:

Why do you need antivirus on your MacBooks?

if you're connecting to company networks (especially service providers), it is a requirement for certain audits.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You don't need AV on a Mac. No Mac I've used in the last ten years has had any. This includes work and personal machines. It's pointless

It is an absolute requirement if you're working in an organization that is subject to certain audits. Saying its pointless is stupid.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

LmaoTheKid posted:

OTOH, Just because it's required to check a box on a dumb security "audit" doesn't give it value.

I wouldn't exactly say PCI compliance is dumb, either.

Anyways, I have Sophos installed on my personal mac, it'll occasionally catch something in that came in via email (and is already in the junk/spam folder), otherwise I don't even know its installed.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Does anyone know why scrolling with a mouse wheel doesn't work in the Calendar app, but it works everywhere else in 10.11? It works on the trackpad, but not with the mouse.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

enojy posted:

I'm really starting to hate how finicky Messages.app and syncing messages between devices can be. It seems like I'm diagnosing some issue at least once a week. Like today it stopped syncing, so I jumped through my iCloud/iMessage account cycling hoops, but with no dice. Then I remembered my power went out yesterday, and my MacBook decided to reconnect to my 2.4GHz access point instead of the 5GHz one, which is the one my iPhone was connected to, thus causing the sync issue. Argh!

I really hope iOS10 and/or Sierra has something in the way of improving it. I mean yeah this last one was my flub up, sort of, but it's still frustrating in the same vein. It doesn't Just Work, at least not All The Time.

That's weird that would cause that issue. I've got one mac on 5.0, another on 2.4, and my phone on 2.4 and everything syncs alright. It is pretty annoying trying to fix issues when they do come up though.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Krispy Kareem posted:

Anyone else having problems in Outlook Exchange 2016 with repeated password requests? For some reason Outlook 'forgets' the password and then proceeds to get me locked out of my corporate account.

I deleted everything in my keychain and that appears to have fixed most of it, but it still happens (just once every 2 or 3 days rather than 3 times a day).

I don't save my Outlook password and instead enter it every time I launch the app. This seems to work best for me, no more locked accounts and no more hell of going through the motions when it is time to change passwords in AD.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

gariig posted:

I just started using a Mac at work but I still need to Remote Desktop into a Windows machine to get work done. When I'm remoted I'd like the command key to always be forwarded to the Microsoft RDP client so I can use Window key combos like (Win + left/right arrow, Win + tab). I found Karabiner which can do some keyboard mapping, but I don't see how to configure it to just send the key combos to the app and not to the OS. Any clue how to do this?

Jump Desktop is really, really nice. It might be a tad over kill if you're only connecting to one RDP session, but worth looking into.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Violator posted:

Are there any Mac apps to handle Amazon browsing/links? I've been collecting links for stuff on Amazon I want to research/buy for a while in a folder, and I'd love a way to browse them more easily than poorly descriptive link names. Like if I enter an Amazon link, it pulls up the description, price, reviews, etc. in something that I can browse easily in something that looks like the iTunes UI or something. I know there used to be programs where you could catalog the stuff you own.

I either create wish lists on the amazon, or place the items in my cart and click on the "save for later" link. A pricetracker app like camelcamelcamel might do what you're asking, too

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

kefkafloyd posted:

You could always use the Keyboard sysprefs to change the menu command to backspace, or get used to hitting cmd-back arrow.

where have you been all my life?!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

MrChupon posted:

Is this going to gently caress over TotalFinder? I just want a Finder setting so that I can have a Folders-on-top sort, goddamnit

why is this too much to ask??

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Perplx posted:

injecting code into another app is a huge hack and should be avoided

just buy path finder and never use finder again

40USD? what the gently caress

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Literally just use spotlight for everything.

CMD-Space

EVERYTHING

This. And I still like Hyperdock a whole lot, too.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

FiftyFour posted:

Due to my job I use a pseudonym for my Facebook account, which means that on iOS my autocomplete forms and other bits want to use the pseudonym as well, which is pretty annoying. Is there a way around this? Cheers :)

maybe create a contact with your proper name and other details?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

well why not posted:

found out yesterday you can move the screenshots dir to another location to stop polluting your desktop. I made a /screenshots/ dir and popped it into the dock so I can actually drag them into slack, email or whatever. It's a much nicer solution IMO.

Of course, it's a terminal command to change it, so most people won't ever really get the chance to enjoy it.

as someone who loves a blank, clean desktop...can you share the command?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
FYI, Magent is on sale via the app store for .99 cents in case someone is after such software.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've got a mid-2015 macbook pro and am having bluetooth problems. All of the sudden, bluetooth is dropping out, and is listed as "not available" up in the menu. When I try to open the preferences, I get the "it is not available to you at this time" error message.

Googling lead me to try and delete this .plist file under /Users/<users>/Library/Preferences/ and doing a shutdown/restart which worked for a couple days. But yesterday the problem started again and I'm wondering if anyone has other ideas?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Data Graham posted:

Anybody else having trouble with audio stuttering on USB headphones after upgrading to 10.12.4?

I just confirmed it's behaving the same on two different Macs. Logitech H340 fwiw.

It's just BA-BA-BA-BE-BE-BE-BE-BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH. Totally unusable.

Non-USB headphones or regular speakers are fine.

yup, happening here too. it loving sucks, because phone calls just got a lot more stupid. doesn't matter if I plug into the laptop directly, or via my powered usb 3 hub, can't do webex or facetime based calls.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Data Graham posted:

Update on this—my bug report got flagged as a duplicate, so I'd wager a fix is coming.

(The bug that mine is a duplicate of has a higher ID number than mine, which has happened with like every single bug report I've ever put in :iiam: )

awesome. if you file a bug report and it gets closed out as duplicate, do you get any kind of updates if they post a fix? or will it just get rolled into an upcoming update and noted in the release notes?

either way, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled...this is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

GutBomb posted:

For ad blocking network wide I use a raspberry pi running something called pi hole. All of your dns requests go through it and it just rejects requests for ad networks and trackers and replaces it with blank content. Works great for ads, sponsored stories on news sites, and it works on every device on my network and it's not trackable by the sites themselves so you never get a "disable Adblock for this site" pop up anywhere. It's really cool. It of course requires a raspberry pi and a router that will allow you to select a new default DNS server to route all requests through but I already had one lying around.

well that's an awesome idea!