Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

modig posted:

I just upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard, and I'm missing the "three finger swipe for backward or forward in web browser" feature. It doesn't seem to be the same as the change pages gesture under "More Gestures." I could set it up in better touch tool, but I don't see why they would remove it.

Choose one of the options that includes the three-finger gesture:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x-virge
May 25, 2003

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

Weird. I have a mouse and a trackpad, but when I configure the mouse to not use natural scrolling and the trackpad to use natural scrolling and close the configuration, it automatically assigns natural scrolling to both devices.

What if I don't want this?

edit: as for why I have both...games.

The preference currently applies to all devices.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Gordon Cole posted:

They made Safari a special case that requires two-finger navigation instead of three, and made every other app break when two-finger navigation is enabled.

It also works in Preview and iCal (though the iCal animation works differently). There's a new API.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Gordon Cole posted:

Still, only implementing it in three of their own apps doesn't really encourage user adoption of two-finger navigation. At the very least they could have made it so that three-finger swipes still work in apps that don't support the new API yet.

Well, to be clear, three-finger navigation swipes do still work if you turn them on in trackpad preferences. They're just off by default.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Xandu posted:

Yeah, chrome will only work with three fingers. The "fix" I gave is just the only thing that will allow the swiping to work in Chrome at all. Hopefully apple will release an update that gives more options with gesturing.

The two finger navigation works pretty differently and has a new API. Chrome would have to adopt the new API to support it.

Edit: AppKit release notes, find "Fluid Swipe Tracking".

x-virge fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 23, 2011

x-virge
May 25, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

* the stupid tap-to-zoom stuff. I'm constantly tapping along to music and it's really annoying to have it zooming in on me.

Should "Smart zoom":

x-virge
May 25, 2003

pokeyman posted:

I can't figure out some font issues I'm seeing. They happened in Snow Leopard too, and I tried an upgrade to Lion to see if that'd fix the problem but it hasn't. Basically, Helvetica is completely messed up. If you see the attached screenshot, this is the Calendars button on the top left of the iCal window on two computers. The left is the messed up one, the right looks fine. These were taken at the same resolution and the same font size. I've tried validating fonts, clearing out duplicates, and so on, with no success. The only app installed I can think of that messes with fonts is Office 2011, but I can only blame it for so much.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to avoid a full-blown reinstall.

In the past, this has been because of conflicts between Adobe's Helvetica and the built-in Helvetica. Hopefully Office isn't causing the same issue, but I guess we'll see.

Usually Font Book would be able to help with this, but it seems you've gone through that already.

On Lion, my Helvetica is: /System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont with unique name: Helvetica; 7.0d20e1; 2011-04-05

x-virge
May 25, 2003

withak posted:

Why does both scrolling in Mission Control and the four-finger swipe up/down gesture work backwards from the "natural" two-finger scrolling. Having to rely on trial and error to figure out which direction the scrolling goes in a given context doesn't help ease the transition, Apple. :argh:

It should work the same as your preference: If you have natural scrolling, Spaces move with your fingers. If you don't, they move opposite your fingers.

Not sure what you mean about the four finger up/down gestures, though. Those don't track with your fingers anyway.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

withak posted:

I have natural scrolling turned on but when I swipe left with three fingers in Mission Control then it pans over to the dashboard (i.e. swipe left moves the content to the right which is the opposite of natural scrolling).

That's strange. It definitely should match your scroll preference. Maybe try toggling some of the trackpad prefs to see if it gets fixed?

quote:

In Firefox four fingers up/down seems to do home/end, but it also works the opposite if natural scrolling (i.e. swipe down jumps to the end of the page, content move up).

I don't think those are standard gestures. Sounds like something Firefox implemented.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

RIP Rivet. :smith:

At first I thought you meant it didn't work with Lion, but then I saw the blog post you're likely referring to. Shame.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Corbet posted:

Is there any way to move Time Machine backup folders from one computer's time machine folder to another computer's folder?

OS X tells me backup files can't be modified. I'm just trying to get my old MBA's time machine backups onto my new MBA (I didn't restore from a Time Machine backup, I started fresh and when I turned Time Machine on, it created a new backup folder)

You can copy the entire Backups.backupd instead of just portions from inside it.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Mouse & Trackpad -> Trackpad Options -> "Scrolling"

Some of the stranger options (like turning off scrolling) are in Universal Access now (CaptainCaveman probably just typoed/forgot, figured I'd make it clearer.)

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

Went through the first 5 pages of the thread, and last 2 and don't see this asked/answered.

How can I get back my two finger swipe that lets me move back or forward inside Firefox?

Are you talking about Magic Mouse? It should be an option in Mouse preferences. "More Gestures" -> "Swipe between pages"

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Well that's retarded. Why would they make it different in in different programs? So much for Apple standardization.

(In my defense, Export works as a Save As in Preview just dandy - I assumed it would work the same across other programs)

It does work the same in Preview. You can Duplicate, and then "Save a Version" will become "Save…"

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Shin-chan posted:

I did even more testing on this. Every file I used said "- Locked" and I didn't know what that meant. I think it had to do with files that weren't created in OSX with one of these version aware programs start out locked. So I took a screenshot of my desktop and manipulated that.

"Locked" means that the application won't auto-save changes on top of the existing file. If you start to edit the file, you will get the dialog you saw above. You'd just have to explicitly say you want to begin auto-saving over the existing file.

Files will be automatically locked after a certain length of time with no edits.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

In case anyone is trying to use the recently-discontinued Rivet on Lion:

Rivet 2.5.8 works fine on Lion. Recent versions do not.

Apparently I hadn't been applying updates to my Rivet. I just updated today. Most recent Rivet doesn't seem to work on Lion (Xbox 360 and PS3 simply can't find it, even with firewall turned off). However, the version I was using before still works fine (thanks Time Machine!). I haven't spent time figuring out exactly which version breaks, but 2.5.8 is working OK for me.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

NotShadowStar posted:

They are literal ports of Gentoo Ports or the dpkg system and all the poo poo that comes with it.

MacPorts is a bit more closely related to the BSD ports system (I consider that a little more respectable than Portage).

unruly posted:

This. Homebrew takes the approach of not building EVERYTHING and using stock applications/libraries when possible *SHOCK*.

For what it's worth, a large part of the reasoning behind this was that from OS X release to OS X release (sometimes even SU to SU!) you couldn't guarantee which versions of which tools would be around. For a little while Fink could be made to use the existing tools/libraries, but things often broke when perl versions changed or specific tools disappeared.

Probably less of an issue now.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Re: Command+first letter in some cases.

"Don't Save" used to be (Snow Leopard and prior) Command+d, but is now (Lion) Command+Delete.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

NoDamage posted:

For any cooks out there: we've just shipped the Mac version of Paprika Recipe Manager. It requires Lion, and Mac users can create free cloud sync accounts to automatically sync their data with the iPhone/iPad versions of the app.

This one was tough, the OS X developer APIs aren't nearly as nice as the iOS versions, we ended up deciding to go Lion only halfway through development because the 10.6 APIs were even more difficult.

Edit - Screenshot is kind of weird looking, but apparently I can't change it once it is uploaded. Oh well!

I have been waiting for a recipe app that syncs between iOS and Mac OS X ever since iPad came out. I'm still waiting for that promised Sous Chef with syncing.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for releasing a Mac app. I'm gonna have to try this out.

Edit: What's the best way to import from SousChef? Looks like Paprika doesn't want to do anything with its Virtual Recipe Card files.

x-virge fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 13, 2011

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

But when it tries to back up, it says the drive does not support the necessary AFP features. My laptop is running Lion.

Lion now enforces the AFP requirements Apple specified for Time Machine.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

pipebomb posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a task/project manager with an iOS companion app? I have a Things (http://itunes.apple.com/app/things/id407951449?mt=12) for Mac license, but don't want to shell out $40 more for the iOS apps.

Nested projects with tasks, alerts, etc. would be nice.

The big competitor to Things is OmniFocus, which is even more expensive, I believe. I'm pretty happy with Things, but I use it a lot.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Sulk posted:

Since it's Lion related: how can you make it so that when the mouse is active, scrolling is normal, whereas with the trackpad, it's natural? Doesn't seem to work that way even if you turn one on/off. Is it a bug?

Currently the preference for trackpad and mouse scroll direction seems to be linked across both preference panes.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Kalix posted:

Couple of pages back someone was asking about a To-Do list app, but it was excluding Omnifocus and Things.

Is OmniFocus the reining app? Do any of you use this kind of software?
Seems pricey but right now i'm just using Gcal to plan things out, and for tasks that require multiple steps it isn't easy to make Google Calendar work.

Should I spare my wallet or have any of you find Omnifocus or a similar app conducive to Work/School?

Also - IOS5 supposedly has some new features that are Omnifocus like, but given that I've never tried the software not sure what that means.

If you're just looking for something to keep track of some tasks, maybe with some categories, then OmniFocus or Things will be overkill. Especially when you add up the purchases across platforms. Neither is cheap.

If you really do need to start keeping track of a lot of tasks for separate projects at the same time, or if you really want to get into GTD, then you should consider them. At work, one of my teammates and I use Things. Another teammate and my manager use OmniFocus. Both will allow you to follow GTD as much as you like. They both have inboxes, areas of responsibility (separate from projects), tags, due dates, and quick task entry panel (hotkey to add highlighted text/email as todo with link).

OmniFocus has had the more reliable sync experience over the past year or so. It has more features and more knobs to turn to get it to behave as you like. It has more ways to classify and sort through tasks. Just more features overall, really.

Things has gone through some periods in which the syncing has been pretty flaky, but I haven't had issues over the past few months. It has a cleaner and (I think) more aesthetically pleasing UI. I use it because I much prefer how it looks. The focus is on the tasks and not a bunch of UI for managing them. I can get in and out without having to notice or think about the UI.

Things will supposedly get serverside syncing (like OmniFocus already has) eventually. (I can't use that, though, so I'm hopeful they'll keep local sync around for me...)

I know this stuff is expensive, but it's been much easier for me to get through the day with Things, even with my mild adherence to GTD. A lot of tasks that I spent time remembering are remembered for me, and categorized in ways that I will see them again when necessary, so I can focus on something other than just trying to remember the eight things I have to do for three unrelated projects.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Modern Pragmatist posted:

So the past few days, my networking has stopped working randomly. When I do a reboot (which often requires me to hold down the power button instead of a proper reboot) it reloads all apps that I have running so I can get an internet connection for a few minutes, but then whatever app loads that causes the problems cuts it off.

It looks like you still have an old CiscoVPN installed somewhere; it's trying to load the Cisco VPN kernel extension (which, even when it did work, was known to cause issues) and failing. You also have some sort of Parallels network adapter daemon trying to start up.

I'd start with trying to get rid of all traces of the CiscoVPN (at least its kernel extension), then disabling the Parallels network thing, and see how far that gets you.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to increase the scroll speed of Safari/Chrome if you're using your keyboard to scroll through a webpage? For example, if I hold down the space bar it forwards the page by X number of lines, but the animation to scroll those X lines is pretty slow in contrast to what I'd like. Same for shift-space to scroll backwards, etc.

If I understand what you're asking, I think this speed is dependent on the Key Repeat rate you have set in Keyboard preferences.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Tenterhooks posted:

How does the new Photo Stream work with iPhoto? Previously I'd just import everything photo from my phone whenever I connected it, knowing I was adding to a permanent collection of all my photographs. If Photo Stream (viewed in iPhoto) only shows the last 30 days worth of photos, when a photo becomes older than 30 days is it gone forever unless I've manually added it to my 'real' collection or does iPhoto continue to save every image that passes through it, removing the need for physically plugging in a device?

By default, iPhoto automatically imports photos from the Photo Stream into your Mac's photo library when it refreshes the feed. So you have 30 days from when you took the photo to launch iPhoto and have it automatically import.

After the 30 days, you can still import photos manually from your iPhone's Camera Roll, as you would before.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think that's a feature way back from NeXTSTEP, isn't it?

Yep. You can drag aliases to the Finder toolbar. In NeXTSTEP it was the shelf.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to connect Facebook Chat to one of them but the Skype client is really terrible, and the Messages client (unless it was changed since iChat) creates individual buddy lists for each protocol, which is hilarious.

iChat as of Lion added an option for a unified buddy list if that's your thing.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Zenostein posted:

But speaking of .mac/MobileMe/iCloud:
Apple is bugging me about making the switch. I have yet to actually upgrade to Lion (and kinda still don't want to). If I do so, I understand my iDisk'll go away. Will my email account still work in SL? And will my calendars/contacts remain in sync? Contacts isn't so important, but I actually use the cal synchronization, and google calendars and iCal (so far as I've experienced) is drat near unworkable. Constant 'disconnect errors' and the like.

A few things going on here.

Upgrading to Lion does not automatically transition your MobileMe account to iCloud. You have to explicitly begin the transition. You can keep using your MobileMe account under Lion until June if you so desire.

iDisk is still accessible until June for everyone who used to be on MobileMe. Doesn't matter if you transition or not, it'll get cut off in June. If you do transition to iCloud, you can still access your iDisk. For now.

Once you transition to iCloud, your account will not be able to sync with iOS 4 or SL. Contacts, Calendars, Mail, Bookmarks will all sync just fine with Lion and iOS 5.

Apple has a pretty detailed rundown of all this: http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Zenostein posted:

Right, I know that moving to Lion won't change it: I haven't changed to Lion yet, but Apple's been bugging me about this since I upgraded to iOS 5. I'm just wondering if the basics will still work in SL. Apple's rundown assumes you'll upgrade to Lion, period. Any search for help on this returns nonsense from October last about how 10.6.9 will give you iCloud support.

I was just curious if say, the switch to iCloud changes IMAP settings or anything like that.

Mail is the only thing that has a chance of working. I'd imagine you could get the new IMAP settings. I'd be pretty surprised if Contacts or Calendar syncing will work with Snow Leopard. I'm pretty sure the MobileMe prefPane will prevent you from logging in once you transition.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I'm sure this was discussed to death when Lion first came out, so apologies, but how the hell do I get Lion to treat trackpad input as natural scrolling while keeping the mouse wheel direction sane? Apparently these settings move in tandem, and I really want them opposite. Failing a magic command line setting, is there a utility out there that will accomplish this?

There isn't a magic command line setting to do this. If you have a developer account, please file a bug report asking for them to be separate.

Not sure about third party apps. A lot of the third party gesture apps replace large parts of the system gesture parsing, so they're probably not subject to the same constraints.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Okay, I decided to finally try iPhoto. I'll probably stick with it but there are some things that are frustrating as hell (no way to list events individually in the sidebar makes reorganizing photos goddamn difficult, for one).

Is there any way to sync only (for example) three-star and up rated photos from each event with my iOS devices? This seems like a no-brainer (portable devices don't have unlimited space, so many people would just want to sync the good photos) but it doesn't seem to be possible.

If you make a single smart album across all events for three star photos and choose to sync that, does your iOS device still see the events? It works like that for Faces now (didn't originally). I use Aperture so I can't verify.

Alternately, you could hide all photos that are less than three stars. I assume hidden photos won't sync. And it's pretty easy to show hidden photos.

Aperture won't solve this for you. If anything it probably makes these situations more complicated. I group my projects into folders and each folder has a smart album which chooses high-star photos. I then sync all those smart albums with my iOS devices.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

RizieN posted:

Are there any Quartz Composer wizards that can help me with a composition? I can do what I want to do in after effects easily, but I can't loving figure it out in QC...

Basically I need to replicate 5 sprites in a circle (so all the bases are touching, picture sun rays heading out in all directions, though thats not the actual sprite), rotate that circle, and have audio control different aspects like speed of rotation, size of the sprites etc...

edit, post this on the VidVox forums, so heres what I'm trying to do:

I don't really know where your skill level is or what you're stumbling on, so I'll give a rough overview of how I'd start.

Replicate in Space is the easier macro patch to just arrange a bunch of subpatches in a circle like that, but I think given the variance you want, you should use an Iterator macro.

Create an Iterator Macro, then dive inside it. Add an Iterator Variables macro to tell you what the current index/position is. Patch the current position and iterations count through some math, which you can then feed to a 3D Transformation patch. Inside the 3D Transform macro you place the billboard of the image.

You could even pass down the iteration position to the 3D transform, to have the billboard switch to appropriate building image based on current position.

Something along those lines.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

You can press Option in Finder's Go menu to navigate to ~/Library/

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm working on a dual-monitor machine of my employer's (dual identical Apple displays), and when I load up display preferences, brightness only appears on the first monitor. How can I adjust the brightness of the second monitor?

Make sure the USB from the second monitor is plugged in (if it's MDP). When it is, there should be a brightness control in the display preference window that appears on the second monitor.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Mr Man posted:

Speaking of messages beta (which i love) I have tried to find out how to add friends on imessages .. i've added my account, and done all that, but still cannot add any other imessage accounts...

am i missing something?

edit: I figured it out, i don't add them as a buddy in the buddy window, i start a new converation and type their name in...

Yeah, you just add their iMessage addresses (email or phone) to Address Book. It doesn't use a Buddy List. Then you can type names in the To field.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

tofes posted:

edit: Probably another dumb question, I figured out how to enable tap to drag but there is an annoying delay after I remove my finger from the pad before the window "disengages," is there any way to disable this?

There's a delay so you can clutch the drag. If there were no delay, you'd only ever be able to drag as far as you can move your finger in a single motion. Change it to "with Drag Lock" to require a second tap to finish the drag (as already mentioned).

Alternatively, try Three finger drag from the regular trackpad preference pane. Three finger drag also has a delay for clutching, but because it's a different finger combination it can be a bit smarter.

Under normal use it has a delay (just like tap drag, for clutching). If you tap your pointer finger at the end, it will complete immediately (like drag lock). If you lift three fingers, then start another gesture (one finger point, two finger scroll), three finger drag will complete immediately.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Was Safari 5.2 really just 6, they just didn't want to actually announce the major version number until WWDC? I don't really see a difference between 6's preview version and 5.2's preview version.

Tab View and iCloud tabs (though iCloud tabs may have been in earlier Mountain Lion seeds).

x-virge
May 25, 2003

carry on then posted:

(as an aside, both those images came from http://guidebookgallery.org, an excellent gallery of old OSes that unfortunately was abandoned 6 years ago.

Apparently the guy who ran GUIdebook is a UI designer at Google now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Fren posted:

Also, there's no way to just 'close' conversations in Messages (not 'deleting' them) without right clicking on the person's tab and hitting 'Close chat', which is a terrible interface decision. Why does Command-W 'delete' the conversation and require a confirmation, instead of just closing the conversation?

Overall it's more similar to Messages on iOS—it's a persistent list of conversations you've had. You can clear it if you like but you shouldn't have to.

I get a little 'x' when I hover over conversations in the left source list. I close using that.

If you want history to always be saved when you close, there's a preference "Save history when conversations are closed" that prevents the dialog from appearing every time you close a conversation.