Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
It would be awesome if my adblockers would start working again. I don't like my Safari windows being plastered with ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I did not upgrade to Lion yet, but I grabbed all the other free software updates (including the iWorks one) and now my keyboard randomly stops functioning in Pages. I can write a couple of lines and then it just stops responding. I have to manually click on the desktop and then back on the open document in order to resume writing. It happens every 30 seconds or so and pretty much stops me from getting any work done at all.

edit: And it's driving me up the wall because I need to get work done. Argh.

edit2: Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? The keyboard is working just fine otherwise.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 21, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Alright, upgraded to Lion.

Pages is still killing me. To repeat my problem: the keyboard randomly stops working.
I can write just fine for a minute and then the keyboard sort of dies. It still works fine in Safari though.
Whenever I can't write in Pages, I have to click on the desktop (anywhere that is not my open document), then click back on my document and then, if I'm lucky, the keyboard works again. For about a minute. And I used to be able to jump to the beginning of a line by pressing ctrl + left arrow...but that actually swipes the whole screen over to the dashboard now.

Any help is highly appreciated here.

edit: Alright, fixed the swiping stuff. That was mission control. I'm sure there is a simple solution for the Pages problem too...

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 21, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
This whole keyboard/Pages debacle leaves me confused, but I guess I will have to wait until more people have the same problem. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Versions/Auto Save feature. Is there a way...to turn it off? For Pages at least?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
My Kindle for Mac application is pretty much dead since the upgrade to Lion. It doesn't download titles anymore and I can't even log on to my Kindle/Amazon account.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks for the RoaringApps link. Very useful stuff!

I'm just glad my iWork keyboard troubles are not limited to my machine. Also, installing the AppStore version of Kindle fixed the syncing problem (I always used the client you can download from Amazon before).

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Heureka! iWork works again. It was a BetterTouchTool bug that caused the keyboard to freak out.

All of my applications work again. Lion is awesome (now).

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Yeah, I was staring at my computers for the past 15 minutes, trying to figure out how to synchronize my Pages documents between the two machines.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I did all the software updates yesterday and my MBAir ran just fine. Today it won't open Safari and iTunes anymore and it doesn't even detect the Wi-fi connection I'm using for all my machines at home. I am typing this on one computer that is connected via WLAN, while my Air sits next to me and tells me there is no Wi-fi connection available.

I have no idea what's going on.

edit: Ok, I removed all the preferred networks from the list (in advanced options) and restarted the router. My IMac detects the network instantly. The Air shows me all wi-fi networks in the area (about 10) including my own network...and then the network (I am happily using on the other computer) just disappears from the list on my Air and I can't evem select it. What in the world?

Has anyone here experienced something similar? I mean I could make sense of not finding any network at all...but finding every single network in this house except for my own?

edit2: And now it suddenly works. Everything suddenly works again. I put the Air to sleep for the n-th time...and upon waking up it connects to the wi-fi network and Safari/iTunes work again. I swear, computers are the loving end of me...

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 13, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I need some help here, please. I just got home from the Apple store where they unsuccessfully tried to figure out what sort of hex lies on my MBA (11", mid 2011, OS X Lion 10.7.2)

I worked with the MBA at home this morning and everything was fine. Programs I used: Safari and Pages. I could type stuff, send eMails etc. Then I had to go to the library. This is where the hex stuff comes in:

1. I wake up the MBA and it connects to the library's wireless network. I click on Safari...and nothing happens. It just bounces forever and I have to force quit the application.

2. I restart the machine. This time I click on Safari first and it starts without a hitch. Then I connect to the library's wireless network. As soon as I am connected to the network, Safari stops working and I have to force quit.

3. Another restart. I open Safari, followed by Keychain, thinking it might have something to do with passwords or permissions or whatever. I can't see anything that looks out of order, so I connect to the wireless network. Safari hangs up. And Keychain hangs up too. I force quit both programs and try everything else that is on the machine. Skype, Kindle, Photo Booth etc., everything works fine. But I can't start Safari or Keychain.

4. Another restart. I checked the hard drive (again). I did the PRAM reset. Nothing helps. I can't get Safari to work while I am in the library.

5. There's an Apple store 5 minutes away though. And of course they find nothing. Safari works. The computer can connect to the store's network. I can browse, check mails, open Keychain. Everything. They say it has to do with the library's network and send me on my way.

6. I am back at the library. Safari hangs up. I can't go online. I smash something and go home.

What in the nine hells could cause Safari to stop working in the library? Sorry for the long story, but I am a little desperate as I really need to be online and work there in the next couple of days.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks guys, going back to the library tomorrow to try it again. Went to a couple of friends today and the MBA worked just fine with 4 out of 4 wireless networks. And it worked in the library too, up until the 10.7.2 update (but the Apple guy was adamant that the update couldn't have anything to do with it).

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Alright, back at the library. I can use the internet with Firefox. Works like a charm. Safari still doesn't work; it works everywhere but in the library. After connecting to the wireless network and clicking on Safari, the console says this:

quote:

15.10.11 14:49:55.000 kernel: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkStatus - received Status Packet, Payload 2: device was reinitialized
15.10.11 14:49:55.000 kernel: Sound assertion "0 == fAudioEngineArray" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 3047 goto Exit
15.10.11 14:50:13.000 kernel: MacAuthEvent en0 Auth result for: 00:17:0f:8f:6e:02 MAC AUTH succeeded
15.10.11 14:50:13.000 kernel: wlEvent: en0 en0 Link UP
15.10.11 14:50:13.000 kernel: AirPort: Link Up on en0
15.10.11 14:50:13.000 kernel: en0: BSSID changed to 00:17:0f:8f:6e:02
15.10.11 14:50:15.464 ntpd: bind(26) AF_INET6 fe80::ba8d:12ff:fe06:d230%4#123 flags 0x11 failed: Can't assign requested address
15.10.11 14:50:15.465 ntpd: unable to create socket on en0 (16) for fe80::ba8d:12ff:fe06:d230#123
15.10.11 14:50:16.414 configd: network configuration changed.
15.10.11 14:50:16.429 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:CaptivePublishState:1211 en0 - Probe
15.10.11 14:50:16.430 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:CaptiveStartDetect:2371 starting probe to determine captivity...
15.10.11 14:50:16.431 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:wispr_detect_redirect_async:424 user-agent:"CaptiveNetworkSupport-173 wispr" url:"http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html"
15.10.11 14:50:16.458 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:CaptiveHandleRedirect:2264 Unknown result value: 1, assuming online
15.10.11 14:50:16.459 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:CaptivePublishState:1211 en0 - Unknown
15.10.11 14:50:16.461 configd: network configuration changed.
15.10.11 14:50:17.498 applepushserviced: <APSCourier: 0x109a1d360>: Stream error occurred for <APSTCPStream: 0x7fa47bc279e0>: TLS Error Code=-9843 "peer name host mismatch"
After I shut down Safari, I did not re-connect to the network. I simply started Firefox.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

strokevictim posted:

"applepushserviced: <APSCourier: 0x109a1d360>: Stream error occurred for <APSTCPStream: 0x7fa47bc279e0>: TLS Error Code=-9843 "peer name host mismatch""

Makes me wonder if the library isn't using some wonky/broken captive portal setup that Safari is rejecting, but FF is ok with? Could technically be a Safari bug, but could also be a bug with the library's setup.
I re-installed Safari on the MBA and will give it another shot at the library later today. It has to be a Safari bug, because everyone else in that place can use the wireless network just fine. And it worked for me, too, up until this week.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Safari still doesn't work at the library and I have no idea why. But as Firefox does work, I guess I will just chalk it up to ghosts or voodoo magic and move on.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'd like to finally use the Boot Camp assistant and put Windows 7 on my iMac (late 2009 running Lion). Quick question: what do I need except for a copy of Win 7 (which I ordered today; Home Premium 64-bit). I guess just a usb - drive for drivers etc.?

edit: The Apple FAQ is my friend

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 3, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
edit: nothing to see here

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 5, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
For some reason I can't click certain website elements on Consequence of Sound anymore. Everything on the website work just fine (drop down menus etc.), but I can't click the little arrows that should bring me to the next page of an article. For example, if I wanted to read this http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/07/the-top-20-madonna-songs/ I'd be poo poo out of luck, because I can' get past page 1 of 21. All of this is on the latest Safari version.

Sorry for the dumb question, but it's really annoying.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Since yesterday I can't open certain Pages documents anymore. I get a little pop-up box telling me that "a newer version of Pages is required". So I uninstalled Pages 5.2, downloaded it again, but the problem persists. Does anyone know how to fix this? This only happens with documents that I hadn't opened in a couple of months, but it never happened before yesterday, which puzzles me.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
My new rMBP arrived today and I just finished moving all of my files. Following problem: Pages refuses to open some of the documents, telling me that I need a newer Pages version to do so. Of course I am on Yosemite now with the very latest Pages version available. The latest Pages documents in question were created with Pages 5.2.2 on OS X 10.9.5. What I don't understand is that I can open some files just fine (even really old ones).

Is this a known problem?

edit: Fixed it by deleting all document folders, restarting the computer, and importing them again. Of course I have no idea why that would fix it. But it did.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 23, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
nm

Found the answer.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 26, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
edit: Nothing to see here. Fixed it.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 19, 2015

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Is it possible to use iCloud to sync a new Windows 10 computer with my Apple account and get all of my stuff (like Safari bookmarks etc) to the new Windows machine? It's my understanding that this should work, but it can't hurt to ask anyway. Also, I have years worth of text written in Pages. Is there a painless way to move all of these files this over to MS Office?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Great, thank you.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm having trouble with Time Machine for the first time. I usually just plug in my external WD for Mac thing, and then it does a backup in a minute or two. But today the 33gb backup is taking 2 hours, and I don't know why. The Mac Pro SSD and the WD hard drive both work fine (according to the programs checking them). Is that something that just happens sometimes?

edit: And now it jumped from 1 hour to 2 minutes and is nearly done. Ok!

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 13, 2017

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Edit: I think I found the problem.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I can’t figure out why I’m seeing old „ghost“ tabs in Safari. They’re showing up in the tab overview of both my iPhone and my Macbook, but they’re supposedly open tabs from an old MacBook I’ve removed from my iCloud account two days ago.

I toggle Safari on and off in the iCloud settings, restart laptop & phone, sign out of iCloud and back in again on both devices... but this long list of tabs always reappears.

I’d appreciate any help. There’s probably something obvious I’m missing, right?