Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

digitalcamo posted:

I can't seem to find a thread on the ipad, but I had a question about them. I've been considering buying one, they seem very convinient to have. I'm learning to program in Python and would like to have one so I can practice on my lunch breaks and maybe get some school work done. Are iPads good at performing this task? And if so can you recommend a model to me?

Just because something is technically possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
So, I've got a big honkin' windows desktop that I'd like to transition into a Gaming HTPC (Steam + XBMC) & fileserver setup with it hooked up to the TV and my MBA taking over regular computer duty. Will iTunes on OS X play nice with a remote library, as in I can play/tag music/movies through iTunes on the MBA but all the files (including the XML?) live elsewhere? Also taking suggestions on how to implement this, anything better than SMB/symlinks?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
In Calendar I want to mass move a bunch of events to a different calendar. I put in my search but when I get the result list on the right I can't cmd+a to grab them all to drag. Even fudging it by selecting the top one and holding shift+option down to select them all I can't edit them. Can't drag and the right click menu items are grayed out. Is there another way to do this?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

the_lion posted:

Anyone using Truecrypt? My mate told me about it this week, looking into ways to secure teaching marking records and such.

I'm just wondering:

-Will it conflict with 10.8?
-Will it conflict with Tuxera NTFS (it looks like it's installing FUSE)
-Is it a good, stable piece of software?

Main reason I considered it was because it was on both mac and pc.
Can't speak to the funky Tuxera stuff but in general TrueCrypt is a fine piece of software.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The answers I got from googling were discouraging but I'll ask anyway: Is there a way to block Finder from writing .DS_Store files in a certain folder. Like my code folder. Sometimes I wanna poke around a project's file manually or drop in some assets but then it shits them all over. I guess I could write a shell script to clean them up after the fact but, lazy

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

RocketLunatic posted:

I am going to give Mail Pilot a try - public beta should be out this Friday. Airmail is okay, but I've never warmed to it. Mail still works fine for me, for the most part.

http://mindsense.co/blog/mail-pilot-for-mac-free-public-preview/

And here I finally broke down and got Airmail today. That's okay, I'm quite pleased with it, and I'm sure it'll be much more feature complete for a while.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Option + Menubar volume is great for quickly switching input/output devices.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

keevo posted:

Does everyone here just use Google Calendar and the Calendar app in Mavericks or is there a better one in the app store?

It's not a replacement, but I've been using QuickCal. It just sits in the menubar and lets you super quickly read/write events and reminders. It works for me because a quick list of everything is usually all I need. And of course everything is still accessible from Calendar if you need the full interface.

If you need something more in depth and much more expensive, there's also Fantastical. It crams a lot more information into the menubar pulldown. If you've routinely got a full agenda it's worth it, otherwise it's kind of overkill.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I won one of these new SteelSeries Stratus bluetooth controllers in a raffle. However apparently it's only compatible with the new iOS devices, of which I have none (at least until my next upgrade). I don't suppose anyone knows a way to get it working with my MBA though, not unlike the the DS3/4 tools? I was hoping it'd play nice with OpenEmu since it seems like a great lil controller. Shame it's not as flexible as I hoped with it being bluetooth and all.

Edit: to be clear, I can pair it and all but there doesn't seem to be a way to use it in anything. And connecting it via USB seems to put it in a special firmware upgrade/charge mode

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 10, 2014

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Scrolling is backwards now.

Otherwise, enjoy OS X.

It makes sense with the magic trackpad. And then they even give you false hope with separate settings for mouse and trackpad. But surprise that flag is the same. :I

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

kefkafloyd posted:

Use BetterTouchTool if you use a mouse and trackpad to have separate settings.

Thank you

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I was about to ask if there were any good S/FTP clients outside of Transmit - which costs too much for how little I need it, FileZilla - which has a horrible interface and randomly interprets trackpad movement as "upload desktop folder to the server", and Cyberduck - which requires the penance of installing Java. But Cyberduck seems to have fixed that bit and embedded the runtime. Now it just begs for donations, fair enough. Just a heads up if anyone else had written it off long ago.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is iBank the best option to keep track of all my credit cards/checking & saving/retirement accounts? Looking around seems like my options are that or a decrepit version of Quicken. Seems pretty pricey ($60) especially given there's also some kind of extra subscription fee for syncing data, but could be worth it to get off Mint.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

dik-dik posted:

What's wrong with Mint?
I grow weary of having 10 billion web service accounts, especially janky ones that eat up all my financial data. I'm working through my account database and killing off everything non-essential :feelsgood:

Hiyoshi posted:

I've heard good things about You Need a Budget.

The Devil Tesla posted:

YNAB is an awesome tool for people who have no idea how to manage money (like me!), but it's purposefully not as powerful a tool as a traditional accounting application. I don't know much about the state of finical software on the mac, but iBank does have a 30 day trial you could check out.

YNAB is great and all but unless something's changed since the last time I tried it it relies on manual entry of stuff and I'm incredibly lazy. I guess I'll give iBank trial a go and see how well it handles all my accounts.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

dexter6 posted:

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a password manager? This dashlane app looks pretty cool, but I haven't heard anything about it.

If you have a variety of devices, LastPass
If you have just Mac/Win/iOS and money to burn for each platform, 1password

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

bimmian posted:

I really like this, but I have two websites I use that aren't safari friendly. Can you modify fluid to use a different browser, or is anyone aware of another similar app that does?

I'm pretty sure it was discontinued but maybe you could get Mozilla Prism to work.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Do these typically require a flatten & reinstall when the full version comes out?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Whirlwind Jones posted:

People gettin' mad about spending $5 for a program they'll use for 30000 hours.

I remember balking at $70 for SublimeText until I realize I use it for about 40 hours a week

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is it just me or are some of the new dock icons obnoxiously 'bright'?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Pivo posted:

I'm still on 10.9.4 (gently caress betas, you guys can do that poo poo) but Gmail over IMAP for me is like stupid delayed. I get emails like, hours after they were sent, if they ever arrive without me killing Mail.app and restarting it, sometimes it just downloads the headers but not the body... Actually the delay is pretty amusing, even happens on my iPhone, I was at this dev meetup with my coworkers and my CTO, Erik, and I got like 12 emails from our SVN thing telling me that people have committed poo poo and they were from our CTO, I'm like, "What the gently caress Erik are you committing poo poo from your phone?" hes like "What the gently caress are you talking about?". Now it's a running joke whenever we get emails when we're out, "Erik are you committing poo poo"... But yeah, every other client I use to connect to that IMAP I get it right away, Mail.app likes to take its loving time. I have folders set up in Gmail too and sometimes my inbox will update but the folders won't, and I'll have to restart Mail.app, it's loving stupid.

The thing is I pay for IMAP for my personal email from Tuffmail and that always works perfectly, I get emails right away, if I have the sound on my iPhone turned on then sometimes my laptop will *boop* at the exact same time as my iPhone and the headers say it was sent like less than a second ago, so I know IMAP works, it's just hosed with Gmail somehow. I don't really care to figure it out, not my problem, gently caress that.

GMail's IMAP implementation has always been hacky and nonstandard. Which I'm sure is why Google's pushing their own proprietary API for it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

noirstronaut posted:

Just install Chrome

Yeah, you won't notice flash killing your battery when Chrome does it fine by itself

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Quick question: Does Time Machine use up a whole drive/partition or can I throw other stuff on it too

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

NeuralSpark posted:

It will use the whole drive or partition if you let it.

EDIT: TM doesn't block you from putting other things on the volume if you want, but Time Machine will want to use all the space it can get.

So I could partition an external drive and it will use that just fine?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You're not exactly the target audience.

Well, what exactly is the advantage?

The only discernible feature the website shows is snoozing mail, wowee zowee

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The solution is to install Firefox

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is there a way to have it so closing the laptop locks it but leaving it idle just sleeps it without locking? Or do I just need to crank up the sleep delay?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Yeah this is what you want. This is about (afaik) the only thing BTT couldn't do, and the only thing I wanted it to do.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Hopefully now that Yosemite is out devs will actually get on making menu bar icons for dark mode. That and the AWFUL folder icon color are the only things that really bother me.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

lelandjs posted:

I've installed a few third party apps that place poo poo in the menubar. Radiant Player and Gears For Google Music, Creative Cloud, Twitter, and Chrome all handle the dark menu bar properly. The only app that hasn't so far is OneDrive, which I can live with (if I really want to make sure that it's actually syncing I can just click on the blank space where the icon should be and see it there).

Dark menu bar is for pro tier users, only scrubs keep their menu bar blind-your-eyes white :smuggo:

Yeah I'm sure the big name stuff has updated, but I have a few small utilities that haven't. Namely Equilibrium, Degrees (which I could maybe ditch with notification center having weather now), and Jumpcut. Also, Airmail's menubar icon. And yeah, it hasn't stopped The Darkness.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

dik-dik posted:

It would appear that all of these things are true. gently caress that for real.

I'm not paying another $10 for an app that I bought not 2 months ago.

E: Looks like the beta is still available, though.

But if you don't act now, they're jacking the price up to $20.

The new version looks nice and all but no thanks. I liked 1.x but it's been slightly fussy on Yosemite. Guess it's an opportunity to check out Mail.app again since it in theory covers 95% of my wants.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

site posted:

Just some basic stuff like foobar, MS OneNote, and maybe some older Paradox games and the Windows version of uTorrent since the Mac version kinda sucks and hasn't been updated in like a year. Nothing too major. I already have Win7 bootcamped on here, but I'm not gonna boot into it just for a couple basic programs, and I tried...Parallels I think a while back but it was really resource intensive and not worth the trouble. Was hoping Wine would be able to run the couple things I want without destroying my computer trying to do it.

Looks like between XCode, MacPorts, Wine, and all the other stuff MP installed with I lost almost 8GB of HD space? So maybe it's not gonna work out after all...

OneNote has a mac version, and uTorrent is trash, try Transmission or qBittorrent. There's nothing like foobar, but maybe try Vox if you just want something lightweight what plays music.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm close to giving up and going to pine

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

devilmouse posted:

I still use Mutt for my personal email. No shame!

I think I still have a .muttrc set up all nice somewhere in my old backups. . .:regd13:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Staying at my parents house a few days while I recover from surgery. They have a roku, I have a MacBook with a grip of movies, what's the easiest way to hook that up? I see plex is an option but that seems like a lot of overhead

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I would think anyone who knew about rsync would be able to install Homebrew. It's even fairly idiot proof, I don't think it even requires Xcode tools.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ZShakespeare posted:

I long for death the day that apple finally splits out music, videos, podcasts, iTunes (store), and iPhone/iPad management into separate apps.

Please. Please.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

fleshweasel posted:

Sublime's customization is user hostile. The process of installing and configuring plugins is not very intuitive or discoverable. You basically have to google every little thing because instead of giving you a real settings window they have you modify a JSON file to modify your settings. The community is not very good at giving comprehensible instructions to new users. I managed to get the plugins I needed working and will basically just avoid touching it from now on. I'm content to let the nag pop up every so often. I'm not paying $70 for software with such a primitive interface. The app is rarely updated, and you can move to atom and get set up with pretty much the same functionality now anyway.

Atom is fine if you don't want to shell out the cash/deal with the unregistered popups of Sublime. But Sublime is MUCH more faster and robust.

I don't understand your complaints, JSON isn't some mystery format,, especially to people who need a text editor for programmers, and it makes it easy to transport your config between machines. And it lets plugins and theme sets add in their own prefs without all that overhead. It's not that they haven't bothered to put in a fancy GUI prefspane, it's that it'd be genuinely worse for the target market.

Installing package control is a little funky I guess, but it's just pasting in a command one time. After that you have a type as you find search for anything you may need.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

BobHoward posted:

fleshweasel kinda covered it but seriously? Using JSON to serialize prefs does not imply it's harder for the authors of Sublime to write a GUI prefs pane. Nor does it imply that end users would suffer if one were included. I'm very much in the target audience and I don't want to gently caress around searching through documentation every time I want to change something, I want to have a well designed GUI that makes even esoteric settings easily discoverable. It's sadly common for developers writing tools for developers to shrug and assume their users can handle bad UI, but that doesn't really make it okay.

fake edit: not being familiar with it, I visited the Sublime website before hitting post and oh my. They boast about using a custom crossplatform UI toolkit and they didn't even bother writing GUI prefpanes in their own system? Ha. Probably means their ~custom special snowflake~ GUI is so horribly limited that they can't be bothered trying to make anything much more complicated than plaintext editor windows. I'll grant that their whizbang cool kid text editing features look suitably whizzo in those "download-me-now" anim-GIFs they've put up, but it's hard to take this program seriously when it's well over 5 years old and isn't even finished (by my standards, anyways).

You sure have made a lot of awful conclusions about a program you've never used and don't understand

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

binarysmurf posted:

I'm in the same boat, and I didn't upgrade. I'm not a hard-core calendar user, I just wanted a menu bar app. I would've dropped $20 on day 1 but I can't justify >$AU40.

I suggested they sell the menu bar app for $20, with an IAP to unlock the full calendar functionality but they said 'No'. :)

I used to use http://quickcalapp.com/ for this, as I too just wanted the menu bar/natural language stuff and $3 was more reasonable than $40, but the devs have disappeared and it has issues with Yosemite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

opus111 posted:

the OSX mail application is so amazingly bad, are there any decent free ones goons recommend?

What don't you like about it?

I switched to Airmail when Mail.app had gmail problems but I was considering switching back because.. I don't really know