Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flavor posted:

To sum it up: You're working for an institution that has unrealistic and unreasonable expectations, you're white-knighting all their poo poo and asking for seconds.

I really don't want to continue this derail, but that comment is so laughable that I have to ask if you are actually an IT professional, or just an internet superstar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flavor posted:

Can we stay on the issues?

You're adorable. :allears: Your deflection just proves my point that you have no idea what are you talking about with regards to an actual corporate or enterprise environment.

For reference:
  • XP Retail Release: 2001
  • Vista Retail Release: 2007 (6 Years)
  • Windows 7 Retail Release: 2009 (2 Years)
  • Windows 8 ETA: This fall (3 years)- I was off on that one.

DarkJC posted:

You're in for a shock when you find out how many organizations have "unrealistic and unreasonable expectations", by your strange definition. Sounds like you're writing from a position of ignorance with no point except to offend.

This.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

MrBond posted:

Just file the drat bug already. bugreport.apple.com. It's quite possible fcp7 + ML is a configuration not a lot of people use but someone cares about.

When I went back to read the crash report for FCP, I realized it was the AJA Kona drivers (for a now legacy product) that were causing the instability, so no need for an Apple bug report.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is it build 11E53?

Yup.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Sonic Dude posted:

Anyone try out 10.7.4 Server yet? I'm on vacation so I can't poke around with it too much until this weekend.

I have a VM at the office. Anything you want to look for in particular?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Sonic Dude posted:

Mainly wondering what the new payloads/settings are in Profile Manager (come on, iCloud management...). I also am curious to know if you can change the hostname without breaking Profile Manager and requiring a teardown/re-configuration of the whole database.

Am I a nerd for wanting to go into the office and test that during vacation? I have a 10.7.3 server at home, but I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice the house of cards that it is to find out. :)

I can never get Profile Manager to work because of the ssl certs. We have a wildcard cert for our school, and Lion server seems to not approve of it. I had it working in SL Server, but Lion seems to be trickier. Since this is development, I really don't want to buy a cert for a FQDN. I'll poke around though.

I think it is wise you not play with fire at home. :v:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

IUG posted:

I've been using http://www.bowtieapp.com/Bowtie[/url] since I went back to a single monitor (MBP) setup.

For iTunes, Spotify, Sonora, or Rdio. This is just the theme I picked for it.

I was literally listening to that song on Pandora when I read your post.

For actual content, I installed the latest beta of Mountain Lion about a week ago, and I've been really happy with it. I had an issue with Mail and Exchange, and my WiFi is a little funky (it always has been on the Mid-2011 MBA), but otherwise its been really solid for a non RC/GM build.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Has anyone verified that the GM build is the same as the one on the App Store today? I haven't seen it pop up anywhere yet.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Martytoof posted:

Yes. I redeemed my developer key a few weeks back when the GM came out, and today's "release" shows as already downloaded in the App Store. Same key, same download.

Thanks! I'm in the dev program too and been running the GM, and my boss was convinced the release was going to be different and was holding off until release to install it on his MBA, even though he still has the horrible wi-fi issues. I bet him lunch that release was the same as GM. :v:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I have a Mid-2011 MBA that has Power Nap enabled and got the developer EFI update. My versions are:

Boot ROM: MBA41.0077.B0F
SMC: 1.73f64

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I went over to check on my lab this morning, and all but 3 of the 21 Macs were crashed. The culprit? Adobe Flash auto updater. gently caress you Adobe. I'm not installing Flash Player on anything this fall.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

kapalama posted:

Once I took the advice of this thread and left Flash to only Chrome which has it built in, I came to realize just how much of a resource hog flash is. Chrome is routinely pegging my Activity Monitor.

Also my lack of annoying ads in other browsers is really nice.

This is on 8 and 12 core Mac Pros, so resources aren't really an issue. I never had a problem with the older version, but the new one checks for an update on login and then hangs, and won't allow a logout, restart, shutdown. I have Chrome on the machines to help alleviate this, but I'm done with this technology that needs to die faster.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I use CrashPlan to my local server and to the cloud, as well as a once a week TimeMachine on a external drive. I've lost data before, and I'm never doing it again.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
:siren: Anecdotal Evidence :siren:

Since Lion, we have found that cifs:// works better than SMB.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
The last time I did some testing with exFAT, the transfer speeds were less than exciting.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Chris Knight posted:

Or you have an Extension conflict LOL

I sincerely doubt the vast majority of posters here remember holding down the space bar on start up to bring up the Extension Manager to deal with that nightmare. :smugdog:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

SRQ posted:

Mavericks cancelled, OSX Whistler released instead.

If that fails, Plan B is going back to Copland and Gershwin.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

carry on then posted:

Anyone else kinda wish those Intel builds of OS 10.0-10.3 would leak just for kicks?

While it was definitely ahead of it's time, those were tough years for those of use who lived them. I got my copy of 10.0 on day one, and it was a native app wasteland. Let's not forget that a lot of Macs didn't get graphics acceleration until like Panther, and battery life was awful at about half what OS 9 was.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For info, you can use Crashplan to back up one computer to another on your network, no internet needed. For free.

Crashplan owns, and I have both of my machines and all of my family's primary machines backing up to the Cloud and to my server over the internet. You can also back up to a external disk on the free version too.

The only real caveat I've found is that you can't point Crashplan's data storage to a Windows share on a Windows host. I got around that by using iSCSI, but it works great.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I installed Mavericks (ADC Member) on my 2013 MBA and my gf's 2010 11" MBA and both running well. I did upgrades from 10.8.5 from both. I had the DP's running as a hackintosh on my GGR, and LOVED the dual monitor screens function. On a laptop, mavericks isn't as spiffy and flashy.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had to adjust my scrolling speed after upgrading from ML. Battery life on my 2013 MBA and my GF's 2010 MBA is WAY better than under ML.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Anyone with Mavericks having an issue with Spotlight being unresponsive after a reboot or waking from sleep? I never had this issue before, and it eventually works, but I use it for launching apps so it is very annoying.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

FCKGW posted:

I installed Mavericks on my '09 iMac, but when I attempt to run the Migration Assistant to restore the Apps and Files from my external, it won't see the drive. It's a WD Mybook connected via FW800. I can browse the drive and see the files and folders fine but Migration Assistant doesn't se the drive at all.

Any suggestions where to start? The only think I can think of is the backup isn't stored in a sparse bundle file, it's just a directory of files under Backups.backupdb This is apparently normal for directly connected drives.

At least for the the Developer Previews, you had to install a utility to allow for migration assistant to work from Mountain Lion or Lion. Apple will probably either push this update before Mavericks goes public (I think this happened for ML too).

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mercurius posted:

CoRD works but doesn't support NLA which might be an issue depending on how you have your servers set up.

I use Cord too, and it should work better for 2008 than the ms client. But it won't work for newer auth like Win8 like Mercurius said.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

SB35 posted:

Yeah, but :effort:

Apple has a solution for you! http://www.apple.com/airport-time-capsule/

Or just do what I did and install FreeNas on your virtual host and turn on its AFP/TimeMachine function. :getin:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

ConfusedUs posted:

Is there a way I can plug a HDD into my router and have Time Machine use that? I've never used TM before. I'd assume so--and it's probably easy--but I just want to check.

Already for every machine in the house except hers, because she didn't want it, and it wasn't worth fighting about. Her data, her problem.

I know you can if you an Apple Airport router, but some others may also work. I think WD Live supports it out of the box too. The hangup is that Time Machine requires AFP, and that severely limits DIY TM NAS setup options.

Also going to echo CrashPlan in addition to TM. I have a local CrashPlan server that all of my, and my family's machine,s backup to in addition to the cloud. Losing data blows, and anyone who doesn't want it clearly has never lost anything. And as an IT professional, it's something I take very seriously.

Backup her data without her knowing. Even if she finds out, its way safer than sorry.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

ConfusedUs posted:

Thanks!

I'll figure something out, even if it's "buy a time capsule".

Time Capsules are very expensive and single purpose. I'd vote you spend that money on something like a Synology that is way more versatile, and will give you a second disk for redundancy.

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS213j/dp/B00CRB9CK4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381782565&sr=1-1

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

mongoibur posted:

I have an external HD connected to an airport extreme (last year model). I guess time machine doesn't work, and I'm now trying CCC. Everything is backed up, and it is set to do a daily backup, but it takes over 3 hours for it to check every file (1.5TB). Is there a faster way?

CrashPlan will let you back up to an external hard drive or another computer for free. Although you have to pay for CrashPlan+ (very reasonable btw) for added features and more frequent backups.

After years of dealing with crappy backup solutions for the Mac, I've been VERY happy with Crashplan for almost 2 years now.

Edit:

Since Server is cheap now, its trivial to setup a file share for Time Machine if you have a desktop Mac or Hackintosh.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 15, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Busy Bee posted:

Okay, how do you suggest I bring up the "Welcome - Create User ID" screen that all new MBP's have?

For Mountain Lion:
code:
sudo rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
For Lion:
code:
sudo "/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/Setup Assistant"
Will trigger the initial setup to re-run. Usual reminder that sudo and rm are very powerful commands so be certain you are deleting the right file on ML.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Choadmaster posted:

I have some (different) Mavericks Mail issues too. Apple doesn't seem overly concerned with fixing them at the moment.

I hate to break it to you, but Apple doesn't regard fixing bugs in Mail very highly. I painfully dealt with a bug in Mountain Lion from 10.8.0 until a few weeks ago when it was fixed with 10.8.5, which was an ENTIRE YEAR where your email literally didn't show up unless you quit the app and relaunched it and prayed it worked.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

carry on then posted:

Do you use Time Machine or some other full image backup? If not look into it, then if you do mess something up you can reimage and be back to where you were in a few hours or less.

This is the best advice. I am having some weird issues with the GM (mostly spotlight keyboard shortcuts not responding a lot) so I am going to use deploystudio to make an image and do a clean install of the super secret version. Of course, that is over kill for most, but as a former Mac Admin, its no big deal for me. :smug:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Sleepstupid posted:

That was my first thought but when I checked out carbonite/backblaze etc. they all said they don't backup network shares which is what I'm trying to do (right?).

No, I think he is saying connect the drive to a computer that is connected and active the most, and set your backup application to back files up on that volume. It will be a local volume, not a network share in that case.

Also: CrashPlan+ won't let you store your backup files on a network volume, but iSCSI works. I setup a Server 2012 VM and configured iSCSI to a LUN on my FreeNAS VM and it works like a champ.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm having a dumb problem and Google isn't helping.

I installed an SSD on my girlfriend's 2009 Macbook. Installation worked perfectly, I cloned the main drive with Carbon Copy, booted from the SSD, and now the computer feels like new.

Now, because the SSD is only 60gb, I wanted to reserve it exclusively for the OS, while leaving the old mechanical drive for storage. To avoid my girlfriend accidentally using the SSD, I tried to change the most commonly used Home folders (Downloads, Music, Movies, etc.) into symlinks pointing to corresponding folders on the HD.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

You could also do the official Apple method for moving the home folder off the primary disk. Here is a good guide:

http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/os-x/relocate-your-home-folder-to-another-drive-or-volume/

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
This second seed of the GM is loving up my life. I am having issues with spotlight being unresponsive and the MAS refuses to download the installer for the release version of Mavericks.

:siren: Also: Apple changed what can be restored from using Migration Assistant.:siren:

Until Mavericks, you could use a mounted DMG from DeployStudio or CCC and restore from that. That does not work anymore, and I had to restore the DS image to an external USB3 HDD and migrate that way.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

If I do an internet recovery (I'm currently running the GM) will it install Mavericks or ML?

Doing exactly that right now and its mavericks.

Edit: It did install the Mavericks release version even though I had the GM on it from the Dev Center before.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 23, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

You can't see the scrollbar but I've installed both of these updates like 50 loving times

I guess what i need to do is either go get my ML USB stick and start over. Or go buy a rMBP at Best Buy

I ended up booting the Internet Recovery console, erasing the system partition, and then installing it from the interwebstubez and that worked for me.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

Ever since 16:10 I have been a fan of side-dock. 16:9 makes it a requirement.

I've been right side-dock since 800x600 on the first iBook made the bottom impossible. Back then you had to change the plist yourself to move it. :v:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

benisntfunny posted:

I demoed both for their two week trials and preferred Parallels. Did I miss something? Is there something VMWare does better? It would basically cost the same to switch so I'm open.

I have found that Parallels is quirkier with more professional workloads, and VMware hasn't really forced you to upgrade versions because there was a new version of OS X, which I find important now that they are yearly.

Also, Vmware is the gold standard for virtualization for Windows, Linux, and enterprise.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Wario In Real Life posted:

Look at these weirdos who use Launchpad instead of Spotlight.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

fartmanteau posted:

I don't think this has been brought up yet. I updated my 2013 Air to Mavericks the day it came out. Now I'm getting this intermittent thing where there's no sound when I wake from sleep. The output device is still there, and it switches from Internal Speakers (built-in) to headphones as normal, but there is no output.

Restarting fixes it, but that really sucks. Before the updates my uptime was at more than two months.

Sounds like it's being discussed, but no fixes yet.

Try booting into the recovery partition and doing a permissions repair from there. I've had that fix hardware/driver issues before where just doing it while the OS loaded doesn't work.