Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
How does the new Photo Stream work with iPhoto? Previously I'd just import everything photo from my phone whenever I connected it, knowing I was adding to a permanent collection of all my photographs. If Photo Stream (viewed in iPhoto) only shows the last 30 days worth of photos, when a photo becomes older than 30 days is it gone forever unless I've manually added it to my 'real' collection or does iPhoto continue to save every image that passes through it, removing the need for physically plugging in a device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
The best screensaver is the Presstube screensaver. I even made a gif to help show it off:

The second best is The Colour Clock which 'represents time as a hexadecimal colour value'.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Is there a way to automatically sync an iPhoto album with Flickr? I periodically drop my favourite photos into a 'backup' album and it would be really awesome if there was a way to add each new addition to my Flickr account as a kinda auto offsite copy of the stuff I'd hate to lose. I try to stay on top of it manually but, once there's more than a handful of new photos it's hard to remember what's already been uploaded.

It might be a long shot but, as there's already some Flickr integration, I wasn't sure if there was clever things that could be done with it.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
My old 2008 iMac is running pretty full (it only has a 320 gig HD). Yesterday, I cleared out some files and got it up from 15 gig or so free space to around 25 gig. Then, while using Photoshop, I got a warning about my startup disk being nearly full.

I took a look and I've suddenly got 40 gig free. Is there any explanation for this? Dos the OS clear out stuff when you're nearly full (I'd never had the warning before)? I'm trying to work out whether I'd cleared out more than I though I had, deleted something big accidentally or if it's normal for a machine to jettison some junk.

The one thing I did do yesterday was delete the iPod Photo Cache in iPhoto to resolve a syncing error with my phone. Could that file be 15 gig? I never checked my free space after doing that.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

The week I've had a lot of problems with the audio balance - it looks like the balance is getting thrown to the left in the Sound preference pane. I googled around a bit and saw that this has been a regular and ongoing problem, but thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has a fix or workaround. It's really odd that it just started this week!

This occasionally happens to me on my iMac (I think as far back as Leopard). I've heard that it's a bug that can occur when pressing the volume up/down keys too quickly but, speaking as someone who is pretty untechnical, that could be complete nonsense and I wouldn't know.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Really enjoying Mountain Lion. I'm not sure if it's because Lion was incredibly slow on my 2008 iMac but this feels much faster, especially Safari.

One slightly cool thing I've discovered is that the new 'searchable' Launchpad will filter apps beginning with the same first letter in the order that you sort them, not alphabetically. Combined with a keyboard shortcut, this gives you a very basic Quicksilver-like application launcher. I've mapped Launchpad to option-space, so I hit:

option-space + P + enter

and Photoshop opens! Because it's first in my list, it appears ahead of, say, PDF Pen, which means I can make a simple little custom launcher really quickly and easily without running 3rd party software. I know it's not much different than using Spotlight, but I like that it's more visual.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

kapalama posted:

Is that the one to use? I know there used to be several TypeIt4Me, etc, and the variety made me choose none, but now I have to send out congratulatory e-mails, and I just want the boilerplate to appear magic like, when I type 'congrats'.

Also any tip[s for how you use it?

This video gives some really good examples of how you can use TextExpander for form letters etc: TextExpander 4.0 Fill-In Feature. It's a really powerful tool and, depending on your needs, you can bend it in many different ways.

Even the simplest of stuff it can do, like having a 3 character shortcut for your email address / dropping BBcode into messageboard replies comes in handy every day.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
You can add MSN to Messages?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I realize it's still a lot of money to some people, but you can currently get Photoshop CS6 for $249:

http://www.adorama.com/ABPSCS6M.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_1892283

Dumb question, but software isn't tied to a country, right? I'm in the UK and, holy poo poo if this'll work, Photoshop CS6 usually costs us £667 ($1050).

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Molten Llama posted:

It will install, activate, and run, but Adobe is cranky about providing support to out-of-region software. (It's also against the reseller contract to ship it out of region, so you may need to use a friend or a freight forwarder.)

Come up with a good story if you ever need technical support. Perhaps you were on extended holiday in New York, for example. Or temporarily living with an American relative while they recovered from a heart transplant.

Cheers. I took the risk and purchased it. So far everything seems fine - got an email letting me know it's on backorder and should ship in a week or so. I'll hopefully not need tech support (managed all through college / various jobs without it over the years) but that info is good to know. If it installs ok, should I expect upgrading to be tricky when the time comes?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Tweetbot for Mac is finally out and causing some controversy with its $19.99 price tag.

As a user of the beta, I really like the app and I'm happy to pay a fairly high amount for it. For those who consider it too expensive, a lot of blame is being directed at Twitter's recent limitations on the number of users 3rd party clients are allowed to serve. I imagine the Tapbots folks are being cautious with supply & demand on release.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Does anyone have a simple Service for transforming formatted text to plain text?

I use TextExpander to do this. Because it works with plain text, all you need to do is set up a 'clipboard' snippet then assign it a shortcut and you're set. So, in my case I'd copy the formatted text, type ';plain' (my shortcut) and bloop, in goes the plain text version. Works in under a second anywhere you can type.

EDIT: Ah, sorry. I didn't exactly understand what 'service' meant until I looked it up. My method still works and someone might find it useful though.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 21, 2012

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've recently noticed that my menu bar frequently goes very slightly blurry:

(top: normal / bottom: blurry)

I can't seem to find out whats triggered it but changing my resolution to something different then changing it back fixes the problem, for a little while at least. It also seems to only be on the left side of the bar - my wifi / clock / notification centre icons are all fine, as is the rest of the screen. Not a big deal but it sometimes catches my eye. I'm using a 20-inch, Early 2008 iMac running Mountain Lion. Any ideas?

EDIT: just hovered my cursor over the blurry area, it stays sharp so I guess it's not a fault with the screen.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I stupidly allowed some Java app to run from a website I was visiting (I was looking for an old music chatroom I used to visit 10+ years ago and thought I might've found it). Now I'm a bit paranoid that I've put malware / something worse on my Mac (running Mountain Lion). Not knowing anything more about this stuff than 'Macs don't get viruses', is there anything I should be doing / checking to confirm or deny this?

It happened a few hours ago and the only thing I've noticed out-of-the-ordinary so far is one weird Safari background popup from cdn.optmd.com, but for all I know that was from one of the ad-filled Angelfire websites I was looking at and isn't really anything to do with the Java thing. I've run ClamXav on my whole drive with no infected files found but, again, I'm not sure if that'd find anything.

Googling for answers just confuses me more. I can link to the site that'd be helpful but, y'know, I don't wanna expose anyone else unnecessarily if there is something malicious there. Am I worrying about nothing?

EDIT: VVV Thanks. Yeah, a day or so later I've not noticed any problems. Think I was just being overly jumpy with my new machine.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 16, 2013

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Unclutter just got a nice update. It's a 'digital pocket' app that lives in the menu bar that you can trigger with a simple gesture. It includes file storage (rather than cluttering your desktop with tons of temporary junk), a scratchpad for notes and now, with today's update, a clipboard manager (current / favourites / history). Really handy. Well worth the £2.99 in the App Store.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
If you use TextExpander, you can save a simple shortcut to paste the contents of your clipboard as plain text. It's probably not worth buying the app for (although it's a great app), but it's a solution I use every day.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I'm using Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows on my iMac for the first time. While partitioning the disk, the progress bar has hung here for 20 minutes or so:

I'm presuming it's stuck. The system itself, while a little slow, isn't frozen. Not being the most technically minded of people, I'm a wee bit unsure of how best to proceed. I don't want to go force quitting stuff (clicking the red X gives me a 'The disk operation is in progress. Please wait until it completes.' message) or shutting down my machine if it's doing something pretty serious behind the scenes. Any tips on what I should do?

EDIT: I quit the app. Everything seems fine but now I have extra drives showing up under Disk Utility:

PV2 is 800 gigs. Have I done something weird and split my fusion drive? Urg. I have a backup of all my files so if there's a suggestion for an easy way to get back to normal, that'd be appreciated. Googling isn't helping me much.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 9, 2014

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

IAmKale posted:

I think it's time I get a clipboard manager incorporated into my workflow. Is there one that'll let me bind a mouse key to bring up a window of previously-copied items underneath my mouse cursor? The idea being, I don't have to move my mouse away from the input box I need to paste the value in, I can just MOUSE-5 > click to copy > Cmd + V to paste.

I know you're sorted with Copia but, for what it's worth, Pastebot has an option in preferences to have the clipboard history appear underneath your cursor.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
A wee question about Dropbox and different users on macOS: On my MacBook, I have my main user account for my regular work and a second account that I use for occasional lecturing gigs (basically an account I can switch to when connected to a projector that has a nice clean desktop / a different email setup etc). I'd like to use the same Dropbox account for each as I have tons of files that relate to both jobs. I often use Dropbox on iOS to access the stuff too.

Can I share a Dropbox account between these two 'users' in a way that won't take up twice the SSD space on my machine? Going with the defaults, Dropbox treats each as a separate computer and therefore stores a two copies of each file, one for my regular setup and one for my lecturing setup. Will moving Dropbox to the Shared folder solve my problem or will that cause all sorts of sync weirdness?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Bit of a weird one that I'm having trouble Googling for: Can I create (and then bookmark in Safari) a URL that will jump me into an app? Some kind of URL-scheme sorta thing?

I've created a Fluid app for TeuxDeux.com (my to-do list) and, instead of opening the website when I click the bookmark in Safari, I'd like it to ping me over to the always-running fullscreen 'app' instead. It's not a major issue or anything but just something I'm kinda curious about as I think it'd suit my workflow / how my muscle-memory wants to do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I've tried Googling this but the terms are all quite broad so I can't find a clear answer - does Mojave only allow use of the built-in Screen Sharing feature if both machines are on the same network? I use it very occasionally from my work laptop to access my iMac at home and, since updating both machines, I can't seem to 'see' my iMac from my MacBook unless I'm actually sitting in the same room.

I know Back to My Mac is gone but as the Screen Sharing app is still available I'm not sure if I just need to set something up differently to get it working when I'm away from home.