Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This is the megathread for discussion relating to macOS and Mac software, including announcements and questions about purchasing/recommendations. If your post is unique or interesting enough to warrant its own topic or begins to derail the thread too much, by all means please feel free to make a dedicated thread in SH/SC. This megathread is generally maintained as a resource to consolidate small and frequently-asked questions.

Rules:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Frequently-requested Mac software:

Email clients:
Safari add-ons: Storage visualizers:
Application uninstallers:
Disk cloning:
Old fashioned IM clients:
IRC clients:
Multimedia:
BitTorrent:
File compression:
FTP clients:
Image editing:
Text editing:
Productivity:
RSS Readers:
System utilities:
Misc:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 7, 2018

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I make a bootable installation disk for High Sierra? How do you turn off the "hold key to get symbols" thing that was adopted from iOS?
    In Terminal, run:
    code:
    defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool NO
    You might have to restart any open apps.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

By the way, go ahead and talk about Lion now. I don't care about the NDA. It's July 20 somewhere, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Reminder that I asked you to put GraphicConverter on that list.
Okay but I'm gonna use the App Store link.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also, Lion owns.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BrokenDynasty posted:

If Lion is only available as a download, that means it's only available as an 'update' in that you have to have SL installed before acquiring Lion via the App Store?

If that is the case, and I want to do a "fresh" install, would it be best to install SL, upgrade to latest version of SL, download "Lion" update and install. Then move over my music library, photo library, apps, etc?
At least for the GM download, there's a DMG inside the package that you can use to boot off of and do a clean install. I'll add this to the FAQ since this is going to come up a lot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Does the "free" Textual only come with the OS X dev program or does it come with iOS dev program too?
The source code is still available on the official site and can be compiled if you have the know-how. I wouldn't be surprised if there are binaries floating around.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Welcome to the brave new world of sandboxing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ars has their gigantic (as always) review of the latest OS X release up. It's 19 pages, and is also available in e-book and PDF format. :laugh:

Anand's is up too.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

penga86 posted:

Redownloading for us tards that already installed

Go to the purchased tab in app store, hold down option and click on the osx lion button, and 'buy' it again. it will redownload after you put in your Apple ID (it will say hey you already bought this do you wanna redownload?)
I'll put this in the FAQ. Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

McFunkerson posted:

How about a link for Display Maid(my app) in the OP under window management?
You got it!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NotShadowStar posted:

Mac OSX 10.7 Lion Edition: Chrome's UI is loving busted, use Safari edition
Is it broken in all channels? Maybe it's something that's fixed in dev or beta?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

passionate dongs posted:

Two macs = buying two copies of Lion with a single Apple ID, correct?
I'm pretty sure 1 purchase is good for 5 machines. If this is the case, it's going in the FAQ.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apologies if this was posted already (I don't think it was) but you can hide System Preferences you don't care about! :monocle:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really glad I made a new thread for Lion. In a couple years we can go back to the early pages and laugh at what we thought was novel, just like I did yesterday while going through the parts of the old OS X thread which corresponded to the release of Leopard.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mo0 posted:

Does iTunes 10.4 mess with the UI the way it did on Lion, or is it just behind-the-scenes updates back in SL land?
I can't speak for 10.4, but I know 10.5 tweaks the UI again slightly.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

alo posted:

So Apple has managed to create an implementation of SMB worse than Samba's.
They went to SMB 2.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

grahm posted:

Are you guys using this inverted scrolling wackiness? It's not intuitive for me, but if this is what the future is like, I'd rather learn it now than later.
It took me about a day to get used to it and now I just leave it that way. Somehow it doesn't gently caress me up when I switch to Windows either.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Also I'm using chrome and Java applets aren't working right.
Lion doesn't come with Java by default. It should prompt you to install Java if you try to use it though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Anyone else notice that Photoshop Elements is on the App Store now? That seems like sort of a big deal to me. I never thought we'd see Adobe aligning to Apple's distribution method, but I guess they don't care about their consumer licensing as much. Still, it gives me hope for Photoshop CS eventually making it there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Probably because it looks like you hosed with system icons? Just a guess.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NVIDIA in general got a better boost than ATI out of Lion, or so I've read from other forums.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rick posted:

The thing I like most about Lion is that right after the install, my Windows 7 machine showed up on a computer that I hadn't ever went through all the hoops I had to go through on Snow Leopard to get other computers to see it.
Snow Leopard would sometimes automagically show my Windows 7 machines. The update to SMB2 seems to have improved the Vista/7 sharing experience dramatically.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

So is there a reason that the "customize" option is still greyed out for me? Is there not a way to do a clean install of Lion?
Customize isn't where the option to do a clean install would be anyway. You have to use Disk Utility to format the drive first.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rabble posted:

My least favorite part is that it no longer shows me how much disk space remains at the bottom of my finder window :(
View > Show Status Bar. It took about 5 seconds after reading your complaint to find it.

Almost every single complaint people have about changes in Lion can be corrected in options somewhere.

Except Front Row but gently caress that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I know Adobe posted that there are some problems with drat near all of their applications in Lion. I rely pretty heavily on the Creative Suite for my job and I'm going to grad school in August and those programs are a must.

I really want to install Lion, but don't want to chance anything. Has anyone used any of the Creative Suite and noticed any deal breaker problems?
I've encountered no issues with Photoshop CS5.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

William Munny posted:

Anyone else having issues with images loading on webpages in Safari while browsing in private browsing mode? Even if I let it sit for 20minutes images really don't like working.
Nope I haven't seen this at all.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I have two Skype icons on my LaunchPad. I have no idea why. Clicking both open the same program.

What?
Do you have Skype in /Applications and ~/Applications, maybe?

Krakkles posted:

This is really annoying ... why would Apple release something this loving buggy?
I love how there's always one person with a completely hosed up system going ":argh: APPLE! :argh:"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

It's a brand new MBP with absolutely nothing special installed - you really think this should be having issues like this?

I know you're a mod and everything, but you're not really being helpful. I realize there's no reason you or anyone else has to, but the mod team has certainly probated people for less, and it's not really setting a good example.
So reinstall Lion already or take it back. You really think a forum full of people who have had Lion for a day will know why your machine is hosed up?

We don't owe you any tech support so stop acting like an entitled dipshit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Apple can make mistakes/release buggy software or hardware. :P
I'm not here to defend Apple, but Lion in my experience has been the best 10.x.0 release that they've ever done. They're always going to be buggy though and there's always going to be 10.x.1 within a month of release to clean up the issues that become apparent with mass adoption. Don't be an early adopter if you can't deal with a few rough spots.

But when one user come in with a completely hosed system as opposed to the many people who just have minor issues, it's generally a problem with their setup or something that needs to be corrected at the Genius Bar.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

I guess I don't understand your issue. Parallels, an App that already has known issues in Lion is having problems, and you blame Apple? Maybe that's why SWSP is being hard on you?
He's having Finder issues as well, which implies something bigger is screwed up with his system.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MZ posted:

Installed Lion at work today, it broke some of our software.
:psyduck:

MZ posted:

I don't really want my mac to feel like an iPad, I'm not really sold on it yet, perhaps give it a couple of minor updates and we'll see....
How does it feel like an iPad? Ignore LaunchPad if you don't like it. Most power users already use Spotlight or Alfred to start applications. Mainstream users who just hate change can still use the Dock or just make an Applications stack like Snow Leopard.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DirtyWorker posted:

Or they can do the sensible thing and just ignore change, stick with the old and be happy?
The auto-saving and versioning systems alone are enough for me to push my computer illiterate friends and family to move from Snow Leopard to Lion. They'll either adapt to LaunchPad or I'll just make an Applications stack.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DirtyWorker posted:

But, but, it's an iPad!
My grandma will probably like that, actually. Her iPad has replaced her Mac Mini for 90% of her computing tasks anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MZ posted:

Just sayin' I don't see the point of launchpad, oh and the inverted scrolling thing by default?
So don't use LaunchPad and change the scrolling back. Suddenly it's just like Snow Leopard again except you get auto-saving, versioning, and all the other cool under-the-hood stuff that Lion brings with it. :)

MZ posted:

It just seems a lot of development put into something to make OSX more seamless for iPhone/iPad users.
I wonder why.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

Safari fails to handle 8+ tabs with any reliability.
What are your specs? Safari has no issues with dozens of tabs across multiple windows on my iMac with 8GB of RAM.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Carlton Banks posted:

This is an extremely minor annoyance, but is there any way to make moving the mouse wake the computer when it's in sleep mode? It worked just fine in Snow Leopard, but not Lion. I tried looking under mouse and power options, but I'm not seeing anything.
I haven't come across a plist change for it yet, and apparently the Internet hasn't either. Maybe in a point release you'll get an option, but for now you've gotta click. I actually like the change since I disliked waking up the system if I brushed the Magic Trackpad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

Did dragging change in Lion?
Doesn't feel any different to me on the Magic Trackpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

So I couldn't create the Lion disc because my system removed the installer after it installed. I put in my SL DVD and held down C, got to the bootup, ran disk utility, and erased/reformatted my drive.

Now I'm getting this, and I have no idea what to do:

Make a HoTS thread. This is getting ridiculous.