Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What's a good mac app for checking out surrounding wifi networks? I used to use iStumbler but that seems to have been abandoned now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

mayodreams posted:

Although we are switching to either Avid or Adobe for our NLE next fall, we still need to have FCP in production for at least a year to accommodate upperclassmen. Apple is heavy handed with OS upgrades on new machines, so I would rather get a heads up on potential issues of running FCP7 on ML now than in August/Sept when I have zero time to test anything with our small purchasing window (3 weeks from when we can order and start of class) before getting new machines in and updating the rest.

Just file the drat bug already. bugreport.apple.com. It's quite possible fcp7 + ML is a configuration not a lot of people use but someone cares about.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the developers at Apple?

I think it's more like somebody actively does not want it to be more like Windows.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Kristneder posted:

I'm seeing this in the System Prefrences:

Does that mean I can mirror my pc to an Apple TV if I buy one of those?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

2011 Macs and newer only.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Now that CCC charges $40 for a license, what's the current opinion on SuperDuper vs. Carbon Copy Cloner? Both seem pretty close.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Does anyone here have an opinion on superduper vs carbon copy cloner? They both seem to do the same basic job, though SuperDuper's website seems to be stuck in OS X Tiger even if the software's still being actively maintained.

edit: one feature that might be cool is to automatically copy to the drive some stuff mounted on external drives, on top of mirroring the internal drive. Anyone know if either handles this well?

MrBond fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 11, 2014

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

As with all iCloud-related things, you'll be happy (and none-the-wiser) if everything works as it should.

If not... then you'll want to rub broken glass into your eyes.

I enabled it on my macbook and everything went as expected. I had a few gb of photos and they uploaded fine, and were shared with my iPhone seamlessly.

I then enabled my iMac, which has about 100gb of photos. According to my ISP, I have uploaded 35gb of data but Photos thinks it still has ~95gb left to upload.

I don't know what the gently caress is going on. Console.app is a mess of cryptic "cloudd" MMCS errors, the little progress bar never moves or updates, and my photos sure as poo poo aren't making their way from one device to another.

I've left the iMac on for a few days now but I can't keep it up much longer because it murders my upload bandwidth, of which I have precious little already. I was considering taking it into work and using the glorious 100mbit/100mbit there but I'm getting the feeling Photos is just uploading the same corrupt file over and over again or something equally as stupid. And of course I can't tell because there is no way to debug this garbage. It's just a black box my shaky old internet connection is tirelessly shoving bits into.

Either try apple support or file a bug. Filing a bug might take longer but someone may be interested in your case if they've never heard of it before.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

What's a good bittorrent client to use these days? I didn't realize utorrent had gone nutty with ads.

edit: forgot about transmission though I wouldn't mind 2nd tier choices too.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

What's the difference these days, other than some ideological schism about accepting donations or something that doesn't affect me in the slightest?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

What's the difference between usb oversdrive and steermouse? They seem like they accomplish the same thing.

The logitech mouse drivers have been driving me up the wall so I'm looking into alternatives. I need my back/forward buttons :(

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

What is wrong with the Logitech drivers? I used the other one's before but the lack of forward and back made me switch to the Logitech drivers.

I use a Trackball though.

There's something weird on my machine where the logitech daemon hangs periodically, which basically makes mouse clicks impossible for about a minute. It's basically random and unpredictable and incredibly frustrating.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

So does Spotify just automatically add itself to your start-up items every time it updates? Because I keep having to delete it from boot items.

Best as I can tell, yes. It's infuriating because I haven't let any program add itself to my startup/launch items since Windows 98 but spotify thinks it's cooler than that.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

binarysmurf posted:

Guys, Am I right in thinking that I can install the version of 10.11.6 that I just downloaded on any Mac that is currently supported? That is, there's no specific version for the Mac book Pro, or the iMac etc?

The only time there's a special version is when the Mac comes out after a dot release, e.g. 10.11.x on a brand new Mac after 10.11.x already came out for everyone else.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

My parents have a Mac that I believe is running Mavericks. Do they need to update to El Capitan for security reasons or can they wait until macOS comes out or whatever?

I think security updates stop once they're more than 2 releases out? They might have to upgrade to stay current on security patches soon.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Model Camper posted:

TL;DR: Has anyone experienced issues with a 2560x1440 non-Apple external display over HDMI in the final release of Sierra?

Full version:

I want to upgrade to Sierra, but I'm a bit scared. I'm running a late 2013 rMBP with 750M. 95% of the time it sits on my desk in clamshell mode hooked up to a Monoprice 27" monitor via HDMI. Despite every internet source telling me it won't, it outputs 2560x1440 over HDMI a-ok (under Yosemite, El Capitan and Windows 10 Boot Camped).

I installed the first GM of Sierra and instantly I saw an issue: it wouldn’t output above 1080p via HDMI anymore, causing the picture to be a blown up, blurry mess. Same monitor, same HDMI cable. First I figured it was seeing the monitor as a TV, so I tried forcing RGB mode, but that didn’t fix it. Next I tried SwitchResX, but its 1440p mode was also a blurry mess, so that’s out.

Interestingly, it’s noticeable even in the installer: El Capitan’s installer properly recognizes the max resolution of the display, but Sierra’s installer doesn’t and reverts to 1080p. Thinking about this as I type it, I guess I’ll have to create a USB installer for Sierra and boot from that to see if it happens without needing to blow away my current install or kick off an upgrade.

This is the first upgrade that I’ve rolled back since switching to OSX at the release of 10.3. Having full use of my monitor is more important to me than Siri.

I have a dell 27" on a monoprice HDMI 2 cable that everything is working fine on.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

flosofl posted:

Refuse to believe it all you want. There is no way to do that with macOS. If that's important to you, then you'll want to look at installing Linux on your hardware.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "X". There is no x-windows.

There totally is. Open-sourced from the formerly official Apple one.

https://www.xquartz.org

If you want it to *replace* aqua/finder then no that won't work and you're in crazy town.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Fallom posted:

Oh my god I had no idea you could just buy a stand-alone license still

I have mixed feelings about 1Password. They handled some updates poorly, charging for new versions that cut major features. I had a Mac, Windows machine, and iPhone so I got to pay three times. When they transitioned to the subscription model they dropped the ball insanely hard on the Windows version of the app, which languished in some weird half-updated limbo state for a while. Until recently, it would lock up for entire minutes at a time because the app was single threaded and trying to do too much (this is per the developers).

Still, I think it’s the best manager out there. For all its faults it truly does make security across hundreds of accounts a breeze.

TBH the current state of 1password subscriptions kind of solves your multiplatform needs. The new windows client looks like it's roughly on par with the mac version instead of woefully behind.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

While Photostream will work, for info there’s another option — for some reason any photos you put into a Shared album also don’t count towards your iCloud space.

OP's use case actually happens to be the exact one photo stream is designed for I think, as long as you manage to copy them before they hit the 1000 photo/30 day limit.

Bonus is that on a Mac the photos are in full resolution but shared photo albums are downscaled.

edit: lol I guess there's the potential apple killed it off for newer users because it's so niche:

quote:

If you recently created your Apple ID, My Photo Stream might not be available. If My Photo Stream isn't available, use iCloud Photos to keep your photos and videos in iCloud.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 16, 2019

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

What's the current ad blocker that's in vogue for Safari and compatible with the App Store extension regime? The ublock origin guy seems like he's both too busy and principled to deal with that.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I hope you at least go through the effort of filing stuff through feedback reporter or whatever it is, because as far as making changes to macos the something awful forums is going to be less than useless.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Seriously. I had a friend try to argue that the antitrust settlement is what reignited the browser space and ... yeah, no. I had my email subpoenaed for that lawsuit and it had less than no competitive effect when it was resolved.

lol at that friend's opinion
the only thing that changed the browser landscape was… a different company leveraging a different monopoly to push their web browser.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

One trick with forcing a re-match if it was wrong originally: on a second device with itunes/music (not your original library with the real copy), delete it to remove it from the cloud. Then on your original machine click the broken cloud icon to re-add it to your cloud library.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I personally want Overwatch for Mac. If OW2 really is the OW1 game engine, then 5 years of progress + better AS graphics seems like it should be actually performant on a Mac and there'll be a rapidly increasing number of Macs that can justify the work effort.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

binarysmurf posted:

I know that Chrome being a resource hog is effectively a meme now, but... Jesus!

I've used Opera for years but that started to SBBOD sporadically when multiple tabs were open after upgrading to Ventura. I switched back to Chrome.

With all my general use cases including using both Safari and Opera at the same time, I'd be sitting on 13GB RAM used out of 32GB.

Now I've swapped out Opera for Chrome... Same workflow and I'm using 18GB out of 32GB. 😳

It's no biggie because I have boatloads of RAM, but that is hell of a jump... I generally only have 3 Chrome tabs open - Reddit/YouTube/Facebook.

I think opera is just a modded chromium now?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

admiraldennis posted:

Is there a way to fix incorrect GeoLocation by macOS?

To be clear, this isn't a macOS 'problem'. I have a somewhat usual internet connection, being supplied via a 10GBase-LR ethernet run straight-shot to the ISP's head-end.

Geolocation IP has never once correctly found me (in Somerville, Mass) with better granularity than 'in the United States'. My pool of public IPs are seemingly not tagged for my city or state; they don't reverse-resolve into some revealing .somerville-02144.ma.us sort of thing like the vast majority of home internet allocated addresses do.

The most common (75%+) guess is in Texas somewhere near Houston. (Based on what? I do not know. ISP has no big office or presence there. I've never been there.), though other guesses have included PA, Maryland, Newark NJ, Rural NY, Hartford...

Mostly I like the opt-in nature of having an unrevealing IP. And user accounts on websites (e.g. for local store inventory) do a good job of respecting the account over GeoIP. But it's a total pain at other times, beyond useless info about the weather in houston.

Some apps and websites treat Location Services as gospel, which leads to situations like this with no obvious solve:

Ultimately, I'd love my Mac Studio here to give my real location (manually specified) to apps that I allow location info to. Is that even... possible these days?

Does apple maps, safari, google maps etc. find you in the correct location? If those work but speedtest does not, then they're doing something extra beyond what the OS is reporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I have a Drobo that’s not very good and I’m trying to figure out what I need to replace it with. I use it for just regular storage. I wonder if it’s worth the hassle going for disk redundancy or just getting a regular 1 disk external drive.

Also what do people use for backup these days? Time Machine to attached disk? Time Machine on NAS? Dropbox and friends? The aforementioned drobo was terrible for Time Machine.