Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
By default OSX Lion (and Snow Leopard) disable the built-in firewall. Is it recommended to enable it, and if so is it a pain to maintain as it seems I'll need to grant every program manual permissions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I found myself getting used to natural scrolling on my iMac running Lion at home. However my work MBP has Snow Leopard and I hated switching back and forth between the different scrolling directions. For anyone in a similar situation, I found a solution: Scroll Reverser

It will basically let you reverse the scrolling in Snow Leopard to match the "natural scrolling" of Lion if you enjoy it. Apparently the developer also offers an AHK download for Windows as well.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have an incredibly "newbie" question since I'm still learning OSX: When I upgraded Skype to the latest version on OSX Lion, Launchpad decided to display two Skype icons:
1. Skype
2. .skype_upgrade

How on earth do I get rid of #2? See screenshot for what I'm referring to.

I tried dragging to the trash, I tried holding my mouse on it like you would on iOS, I tried Googling - nothing.

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 31, 2011

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

@chimz - I tried clicking and holding and it doesn't allow me to do anything with the icon (like SWSP said, it's just for App Store apps).
@SWSP - That's the weird thing: it wont actually show me any files in Spotlight. When I open the applications folder the file isn't there. It's only appearing in Launchpad.

EDIT: Okay this is odd. So I decided to just uninstall Skype. This left the .Skype_Upgrade icon in Launchpad but removed the main Skype icon. I then tried clicking and holding the icon, and now it shows a little X that allowed me to delete it. It did not allow this when Skype was still installed!

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 31, 2011

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

This is a really basic question, but here it goes.

1. I cannot play XVID AVI files within Quicktime and would prefer to do so without using third party software.
a) I've tried installing Perian, but it doesn't seem to work.
b) I've installed VLC to hold me over, but would prefer to have everything work in QuickTime. Any ideas why Perian doesn't do the trick?

2. What's the best method of streaming an AVI file to a current generation Apple TV? Should I convert it on the fly or are there methods of doing so natively?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Model: iMac 2011

Issue: Apple posted an EFI update today. I accepted the update and it restarted my computer. Problem is it restarted twice by itself and then went into recovery mode. Disk tools reported nothing wrong with the SSD or HDD. I tried choosing a Time Machine backup to restore and it wouldn't work despite what I tried. Now I'm reinstalling Lion from scratch.

I'm quite upset.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

japtor posted:

I had a kernel panic on the boot screen after the Mac mini EFI update, I suspect something to do with a cheap USB hub that started making a freaky noise. Forced it off, unplugged the hub, booted then ended up in recovery mode, I forget if I did that was on purpose or not. Disks were fine, started back up in my usual system and has been fine since.

I haven't plugged that hub back in though :tinfoil:

My iMac had the same issue last night when I installed the EFI update. The difference is that I had nothing plugged into mine.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I feel like an idiot for asking this, but my Google skills have yielded a lot of conflicting advice and mostly focus on the realm of internet sharing instead of media sharing.

Question: How do I easily get my Xbox360 to detect my iMac (OSX Lion) and easily stream media (music + videos) to it?

- I have not (yet) enabled file sharing from OSX preferences. I feel like this is the logical place to start, but want to verify before I go mucking around with settings.
- I have enabled media sharing in iTunes.
- I have Perian and Flip4Mac installed, if it matters.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I went with Rivet since it is free, but Connect360 looks promising as well. Apparently the only downside of Connect360 is the folder structure is displayed weird, whereas Rivet replicates it in a much cleaner fashion.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Toady posted:

I wrote a free PwdHash generator called Locksmith. It's compatible with existing PwdHash implementations and is used the same way: You enter an address and "master password" to generate a unique password for each site. It auto-clears its text fields when left in the background after a while, configurable in preferences, in case you walk away from your laptop in a public place. It's designed so that you can safely leave it running all day and regenerate passwords as needed.

I am a bit slow and having trouble understanding how this would be used. Can someone explain this to me with the applicable use case(s)?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

Helpful explanation...
Thank you for making that clear to me.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Chiming in to say that I use an MBP 2011 at work with OSX Lion and have used Office 2011 since July of '11. In general it's fantastic. It's stable, supports most features that the Windows version has, and is fast. I highly recommend it..

The things it lacks are some Power features you'd find in the Windows version, but they aren't deal-breakers in most cases (e.g. Editing an exchange Distribution List in Outlook contact properties).

Also, I prefer Outlook to Lions mail client.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

Is there a recommended Anti-Virus option for OSX Lion? Something like MSE for Windows?

edit: This is for a 2011 MBA 13" so I can take a little bit of a performance hit.

My company makes us use kaspersky. It's okay and doesn't bog down performance too bad.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

At my office I have a MBP 13 (2011) connected to a 27 inch Thunderbolt Cinema display. Is there a way that I can sync the two to have one single brightness setting so that I don't have to constantly adjust both as the sun moves around the office?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I was debating posting this in the A/V Forum, but figured I'd start here.

What is the best software to stream media to various devices on a local network from a Mac? I'd like to be able to stream media from my 2011 iMac to the following devices:
- XBox 360
- Samsung TVs (Smart Hub)

Note: I've tried Rivet, but that was fairly inconsistent in connecting to the XBox, and though it was discoverable on the Samsungs it did not stream at all to them. Connect360 is an option, but it costs $20, so I just wanted to see if anyone could suggest another free option before I dive in and buy something. Would XBMC, Plex, or something else be ideal for this?

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Great, so then Plex does support streaming to XBox 360 without the need for a client-side app on the 360? That's what I couldn't verify.