Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any kind of small piece of software that automatically switches desktop wallpapers at certain times of day? I know OSX has this sort of thing in it by default, but I'd like to set the time when the wallpaper changes myself (ie. switch from a brighter wallpaper to something darker when it's 6pm and back at 6am or something).

This is old so I'm not sure if it runs well on Lion. At work now so I can't try it out.

Desktopia:
http://www.chatelp.org/?page_id=6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

bassguitarhero posted:

This seems to be a good place to ask - can I broadcast to more than one Airport Express at the same time? I want to set up a system where I can take one mac mini and have it send music out via mini jack and to two airport expresses. It'd be great to do this via one computer in iTunes so we can use an iPhone to stop/start the music.

I've only got one here with me to test, but I need to go out to multiple sources at once.

Yes, there is a "Multiple Speakers" option in my iTunes when I click the AirPlay button.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

Subnets for home networks usually start with 255.255. Check System Preferences > Network to see subnet.

I think you are thinking of subnet mask.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Terpfen posted:

Expecting publishers to actually pay attention to the Mac seems to be beyond the pale.
You realize this game was released ELEVEN years ago right?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Terpfen posted:

And yet, they're still selling it. Which means they need to properly support it.

Your comment is a little ironic considering just how long Blizzard kept issuing patches and updates for Starcraft.
I don't think you are grasping the definition of "ironic". If you want to play games more than a decade old, pony up for some VM software.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

OSX 10.3 and higher.

They sell boxed copies in retail stores that still cost $30 and state my that mac should run it, but they are off the hook in supporting it because it is old?

Even if they want to stop supporting it they need to let people loving know on the box that their computer isn't going to run it. That's just bad business.

Hopefully the store let's me return it or I am going to make a stink.

Does the box say it requires a G series processor?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I bet it does.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Oh wait yeah it does. Why would it run on older versions of osx then?

Up until Lion, OS X was supporting older PPC software with Rosetta. They announced to developers that they would be moving to Intel and dropping support for PPC in 2005. They have supported PPC for the last 6 years but with the release of Lion, dropped it completely. I know it sucks, but that's the way it goes :( Blizzard has to either re-code for the Intel hardware or the customer has to figure out a way to make it work. Either by using the previous version of OS X that still has Rosetta support, or by running a compatible OS via a VM.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

flyboi posted:

Not sure if this is a software or hardware question, a little of both I guess.

Anyways, I'm getting a game which *must* be played on a genesis. I have a plasma tv and don't want to destroy it from the static sprite locations these games typically have and want to play it on my iMac. What is the cheapest capture card I can use on a 2011 iMac that will get a 480i coax analog signal?

Edit: I guess if composite can be done much cheaper I could look into procuring a composite video cable as well.

Your plasma will be fine.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

There is nothing magnetic near the trackpad. But your question does make me curious: is there a way to put the computer to sleep solely by the trackpad?

I'm guessing that's just where the sensor is that tells the computer when the lid is closed. So I guess you could put it to sleep with the trackpad if you had a magnet in your hand.

Edit - Magnetic wrist band maybe?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Why does she want a MacBook Air? For OS X? Is bootcamp an option?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

terriyaki posted:

Help. How do I get rid of all of these duplicates?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4250905?start=0&tstart=0

This may help.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

ryangs posted:

BootCamp is too complicated, too convoluted. The Windows apps she needs are not performance-intensive, in any case.
How is bootcamp more complicated and convoluted? As far as she knows, it's a really light windows laptop.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Pertplus posted:

Is there an app for osx similar to Zipwhip which lets you send & receive texts through you cell number from your computer? I know about messages, but that only works if other people are registered with messages.

Edit: apparently Zipwhip only works with Android phones and I have an iPhone so does anyone know a similar app that works for iPhones and Macbooks?

I see your edit, but for anyone else : http://www.zipwhip.com/features/mac

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wildlele posted:

Is there a decent free CD burning software? I just got an iMac and am trying to burn some .mkv files to a CD but cannot seem to figure it out with the default software.

Thank you in advance.

Here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7jpIoFixc

This is assuming you just want to put the files on a DVD/CD. Are you just moving the data around or are you trying to burn a disc that will play in a dvd/blu-ray player? Because that is a different animal.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My friend was using her laptop with an apple tv device. She said for a moment her tv changed to someone's fb page, the person noticed and she said she noticed it was connected to her tv before they disconnected. Should she be concerned? She connects it via ethernet she says. I know nothing about apples so I figured this was a place to ask.

In order for someone to push something to her Apple TV they would have to be on her network, wired or wireless. If her network has a password, I would suggest changing it.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

She is on a school network and does not want to share her box with anyone. Can she put a password on the device itself or something similar? Maybe restrict usage via MAC address?

AirPlay can be password protected yes.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

colas posted:

Didn't work, ss won't come on with QT either. I'm just going to not watch videos before bed.

Mplayerx has an option "Quit when window closed" that seems to work. Brief test included playing a single video file and when it reached the end the app shut down. VLC has this option also for playlists but it hasn't worked in OS X for some time.

Edit - Just verified it works when the video is full screen.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 21, 2013

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

aarstar posted:

Is there a good windows client for apple screen sharing? I'm able to connect to my iMac using the VNC option, but it's ridiculously slow compared to when I connect with my Macbook pro through its native client. I could also install an alternative (better) VNC server if there's a good free one out there.

I've had good experiences with TeamViewer. It's free for non commercial use.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

MrChupon posted:

So Google killed (or is killing) the simple Google Notifier that has sat in my menu bar quietly lighting up when I have email for the last ~4 years. Does anyone know of a replacement that can sit in my menu bar and notify me when I have mail without doing a bunch of other unrelated poo poo?

Something like this? http://ashchan.com/projects/gmail-notifr

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wdarkk posted:

Speaking of the desktop, is there any way to make image capture save screenshots to somewhere else?

I Googled and found this :

http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/26/change-the-screenshot-save-file-location-in-mac-os-x/

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

japtor posted:

If you don't mind a cloud service like Dropbox there's Box's 50GB promo right now if you have an iOS device. 250MB per file limit but I'm not sure if that'll matter for your use.

Am I missing something, or did that promo expire 2 years ago?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

I recommend getting AppleCare for any non-desktop product.

My first Mac was a late 2009 27" iMac. After replacing the SuperDrive, the Hard Drive and the entire display (cloudy mess in the top right corner) I am very glad I went with Apple Care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

I'm not taking offense to this only because you're not aware of my reasons for attempting suicide and the events that happened after my attempt. However this is almost the worst advice you can give to someone in my situation, second to it's better being alive. It's very much like telling homeless people to bootstrap themselves and get a job. I'm getting the treatment I need for my conditions. Besides, I got my email address back as well as most of my other accounts.

Maybe don't start your tech advice questions with "HAY GUYS TRIED TO COMMIT SUICIDE" if you don't want people giving you "the worst advice" about it. Dude was just trying to help, no need to try and make him feel lovely about it.