Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Sorry if this question has been asked already (I've scanned the last few pages)...

What's the deal with Lion upgrades for machines running Snow Leopard Server? I have a Mac Mini server and want to upgrade to Lion Server - will I still have to buy the Lion Server applications separately? If so, will it preserve my server configuration?

FWIW, the server doesn't do anything particularly complicated (i just use it as a file server, Time Machine server, etc), but I'd rather not have to recreate shares and such like if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm trying to upgrade my Snow Leopard Server to Lion. When I run the installer, it presents me with a message saying 'Waiting for App Store to download Mac OS X Server Add On', but then nothing happens. The App Store doesn't do anything, the download doesn't start, and the installation is stalled.

Has anyone else encountered this? I've done some Googling, but didn't find any answers. I'd really rather avoid installing from scratch, if at all possible.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Our Open Directory Master has seemingly hosed up, and is no longer issuing Kerberos tickets correctly. This has resulted in lots of people getting angry at me when Entourage no longer authenticates properly. I went into the Kerberos Admin log, and saw that this is repeating every ten seconds....

A few days ago our primary AD domain controller died, so we promoted a different DC to primary. I re-bound both our OD master and replica to AD etc, but I suspect that this change of DC has caused this somehow.

On our OD Master, the Kerberos page of the Open Directory settings has the error 'ERROR PasswordService - NotFound' and, when I try to re-kerberize, it won't accept my credentials.

I've googled it, but can't find much in the way of answers as to how to fix this. I'll be completely honest - I wasn't involved in setting these servers up, but have inherited the responsibility of looking after it. My employer is too tight to pay for training, so I'm effectively blagging it at the moment. So far I've managed to cope with it fine, but this is a bit of a problem.

FWIW, both OD Master and Replica are running OS X Server 10.6.8.

Any OD wizards fancy helping me out??

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've been trying to solve an annoying problem with my MBP for a few days now. Under my user account, the list of printers is blank, but there are definitely printers installed; I know this because I can see them from the CUPS web interface. Also, if I create a new user, then the account will have the printer list visible. It only seems to be this one account that is affected.

I've tried the following things....

- reset printer system, then readding printers (printers install ok, but the printer list is still blank)
- fixed permissions
- re-applied the latest combo updater
- copy/pasted known good cupsd.conf and printers.conf files from a different machine
- used Print Therapy 7, but to no avail

I've tried deleting my account, then recreating it, but the printer list still shows up as empty.

At this point I suspect that it must be a cache file tucked away somewhere which is causing the issue, but I've really run out of ideas for fixing it. Can anyone suggest a solution?

edit: FWIW the machine is running 10.6.8.

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 22, 2011

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm trying to set up VPN on my Mac Mini running Lion Server, so I can connect to my home network from my iPad and iPhone. I've enabled the service, set my secret phrase, and forwarded UDP ports 500, 1701 and 4500. Unfortunately, whenever I try and connect I get an error saying 'The L2TP-VPN server did not respond'.

Is there anything here I'm missing? FWIW, my router is an Airport Extreme (newest model).

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone else here experienced any problems outputting audio via HDMI from their Mac?

My Mac Mini media centre used to happily play stereo recordings from iTunes/XBMC through my 5.1 system, and it sounded great. At some point over the past few weeks, stereo recordings no longer go through my whole system and, instead, only through the front R/L speakers. Bypassing the sub makes music and video sound pretty poo poo, and I really want it back working how it was before.

Any stuff encoded correctly with 5.1 (e.g. movies) plays back perfectly, but music and videos with stereo audio sound awful.

FWIW, I'm on 10.7.2, running on a 2010 Mac Mini. I have my speakers configured to 5.1 in the Audio Midi Utility.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I just had a massive sperg session and updated all the artwork in my iTunes library with nice hi-res images. If I want this new artwork to propagate to iTunes Match, am I going to have to re-upload my entire library again?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

So, Mountain Lion isn't going to be compatible with my old Mac Pro 1,1. Can anyone shed any light on exactly what prevents it from being compatible?

Lots of sites are saying its to do with the lovely graphics chips in older Macs. I've recently upgraded the graphics card in mine to a Radeon 5770; will this mean I'm now able to run it? Or am I still poo poo out of luck?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Honest to gently caress, I'd love to understand what it is about ECC RAM and Xeons that makes people stick to their 5-years-discontinued Mac Pros. I completely fail to understand why you wouldn't get whatever cash for it you can right now and use it toward a new iMac.

Well, I got my one for free from my last job (it got 'damaged in a flood' and they were throwing it out, so they said i could have it, and it turns out it worked absolutely fine). I bumped the RAM up to 16GB, put a decent video card in, and fitted a Crucial M4 SSD to boot from alongside a couple of 1TB drives, and it's actually a pretty decent machine now. To be honest, though, I mainly use it for light internet browsing/media consumption, so don't really push it enough to see how lovely the CPUs have become, but it runs really well.

So, I guess I'll be selling it over the coming weeks; hopefully before people catch on that Mountain Lion won't run on it and it's value really bottoms out. I think I'll be lucky to get more than a few hundred pounds for it, though. I won't be able to afford a decent replacement with the money I get back from it, anyway. Urghh.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Almost every time I remote into my Mac Mini Server (mid 2010), I find lots of black poo poo covering most of the screen. As I open windows and drag stuff around, the black disappears to reveal the screen. e.g.

It's not a massive problem, because it's quick and easy to get rid of, but it's kind of annoying. It did it when it had Snow Leopard Server installed, and it still does it since I upgraded to Lion Server. It runs headless some of the time, but this doesn't seem to have any effect on whether the black appears or not, and the blackness only show on the remote connection and not on the physical display. I've tried third party VNC clients, other than ARD, and the problem persists.

Does anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can anyone recommend a decent note taking app for OS X? I want to be able to make and categorise lots of notes, and preferably attach files and images to notes too. I also need it to sync to my iPad via the cloud somehow. The ability to draw notes from iOS would be nice, but not a dealbreaker.

Evernote was sort of on the right track, but I thought the software kinda sucked. Is there anything better I should check out?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone know why my Mac Pro insists on mounting network volumes twice? It's kinda annoying.

FWIW, both are AFP shares. One is a Mac Mini running Lion Server and the other is a FreeNAS 8 box.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can anyone recommend an app that generates a checksum of a whole drive? I see there are a couple of apps for calculating the checksums of individual files in the App Store, but none which will do the entire drive.

I'm not really fussed about the algorithm used. MD5 or SHA-1 should be fine.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

zalmoxes posted:

Unless you archived your drive in a zip file it wouldn't work and what's the point?

I'm moving abroad at some point over the next few months, and I'm planning on how to ship my data abroad with me. I currently have all my data on a RAIDZ2 array which gives me a degree of safety, but I'm still a bit worried about ensuring that my data reaches my destination in tact. My plan was the copy as much data as possible onto a 3tb USB HDD, calculate the checksum, send it to my friend in my new country, and ask him to check the integrity of the data. Once I know I have a good backup copy of my data at my destination, I start shipping the drives from my NAS.

Or is there better way to verify the integrity of a drive? Am I overthinking this?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I have a Lion server which, among other things, hosts a couple of VMs (using VMware Fusion) and acts as a VPN server (using OS X Server's built in VPN function).

When connected to VPN I'm able to see all the physical devices on my network etc, but I've just realised that I'm not able to reach either of the virtual machines. If I try and ping them, it tells me the host is down.

Anyone know why this is? Is extra config required to get a machine connected in via VPN to see these VMs?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

porkface posted:

Which networking mode are they setup with? Bridged, NAT, host-only?

Does your server have multiple network interfaces?

They should be visible in bridged mode (check firewall settings). If the VMs are able to access the internet, but are not reachable externally you may be in NAT mode and will want to look into bridged mode which treats them more like they are separate devices connected to the same switch/router as your server.

The VMs are in bridged mode, on static IPs. They're on the same IP range as the rest of the computers on my network, are able to access the net/see other physical machines, and other machines on the network are able to ping the VMs.

I'm guessing that it's something to do with the fact that the virtual machines are using the same physical network port on my Mac Mini, but there's no chance I'm going to start pissing about with the config files to try and fix it; the last time I tried to manually configure a VPN server (Openswan), I almost gave myself an aneurism.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

My Mac Pro 1,1 is too old to be compatible with Mountain Lion, but will I be able to run it in VMWare instead?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

How can I get my Mac to automatically remount a network share if it gets disconnected? For example, if I restart my NAS, I'd like my Mac to pick up the share again as soon as it comes back online.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I went ahead and upgraded my Mac Mini server to Mavericks Seever last night. Ever since, I've had the devicemgrd process constantly using between 80-150% CPU, which was never the case whilst using Mountain Lion Server. Killing the process works temporarily, until the process respawns again a minute later. There's nothing in the logs to indicate what the problem is.

Googling doesn't provide answers; infact there's very little about devicemgrd at all. As best I can tell, it might be something to do with Profile Manager, but disabling the profile manager service in Server hasn't resolved the issue.

Anyone got any ideas??

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

No matter what I try, I can't get L2TP VPN working since I upgraded to Mavericks server. I've installed the VPN patch, everything is updated, I've tried swapping an older version of racoon, verified UDP ports 500/1701/4500 are forwarded using tcpdump and ncat, and have even reinstalled the OS from scratch, but no dice. HOWEVER, I have just discovered that switching the VPN service to 'L2TP and PTPP' does work perfectly. Awesome.

I know that PTPP is considered cryptographically unsafe nowadays, but can anyone shed any light on Apple's implementation here? Seeing as this is L2TP and PTPP, rather than just PTPP, is this any more secure?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Caged posted:

Are you sure 'L2TP and PPTP' isn't like 'WPA and WPA2' on wireless networks in that it will take connections from either?

Ahh right ok, I guess that would make sense. That would be why the 'shared secret' field is still there, even though PTPP doesn't use it.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Is there a way I can remote desktop into my Mac Mini as a completely different session?

Basically, my Mac Mini's primary function is running Plex for media center duties. However, I frequently ARD into it to piss about with other software, requiring me to quit out of Plex. It would be far better if I could just leave Plex running, and just connect into a new session at the desktop. I'm sure this is possible, but how?!

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Ericadia posted:

I've only run plex server on a windows machine where it runs in the background. Why do you need to quit out of plex server for the Mac version?

Sorry, i should have been clearer - the Mac Mini runs both the server and player software, and I only need to quit out of the Plex player.

Edit: Figured it out. It seems that ARD doesn't support this, but the built in Screen Sharing app allows logging in as a new session.

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 17, 2014

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Is there a way to control my Mac Mini via a Harmony remote? I don't need cursor control, but just want to be able to trigger a script or keyboard shortcut via IR or bluetooth.

It looks like Remote Buddy can do this, but want to know if there's a better, free-er way to approach it.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm looking for a piece of software which will allow me to right click on a file in Finder, choose a 'send to Amazon S3' option, which will then upload my file to my S3 bucket and create a url that I can share.

Does anyone know if such a piece of software exists for OS X?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Roobsa posted:

You can do this with Dropzone just without the right clicking thing. You'd have to drag the file to the menu bar but from there on, it can do everything else you want.

This is awesome - thanks!

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone know if Transmit ever goes on sale? I really like it, but i'm struggling to justify spending $34USD on an FTP client.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm not sure if this is a question for this thread, the hardware thread, or the monitor thread, but here goes..

Has anyone with a 4k monitor had any success activating HiDPI resolutions on their Mac? When plugged into my Macbook Pro, I'm only able to choose between 3840 x 2160 or 1080p. The former is just a bit too hi-res to work on, so ideally i'd like to scale down to like 2880x1620 or something like that, but I just cannot get OS X to offer that as a HiDPI choice. I've tried creating a scaled resolution in SwitchResX, and it seems like it should work, but the new resolution just doesn't show up on the Display syspref panel.

Anyone encountered an issue like this?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

crazysim posted:

What is the 4K monitor you're trying to use and what is the model of your Macbook (e.g. Retina Mid-2012)?

edit: Oh! You do support 4K out, but what's the monitor just out of curiosity?

It's an Acer B286HK. Pretty much as basic a 4k screen as you can find, but it's awesome for non-gaming purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I feel like the answer to this question is 'no', but I want to ask anyway, just in case.

Is there a way to force particular apps to use certain network interfaces at the OS level, without dealing with setting up static routes? I have powerline ethernet setup, which gives me an extremely stable connection but isn't particularly fast. I'd like to force apps like Zoom, Discord etc to use that connection, and have everything else use wifi. Setting up static routes for Zoom seems like a colossal pain in the hole.