Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Fungah posted:

Neither of the up-to-date methods recognise the serial number of the macbook pro I bought on the 19th of June. Anyone else having the same issue?

My up to date worked flawlessly, few seconds, and lion is sitting here happily downloading. Thought it was quite impressive.

Make sure you have the story name in there right?

Edit: Woo Lion server is available as well, $49.99

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Blah, apparently Lion uses AFP 2 or something, and my NAS uses a version that's not compatible. No Time Machine or access to shares for me until I get a software update...weak sauce.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Laserface posted:

So AFP has been replaced with AFP2 and theres no backwards compatibility until my NAS firmware upgrades?

because if so its going to be a looooong 3 weeks of work if i dont have my back catalog of top gear and other NAS-stored media :(

I'm in the same boat, hopefully mine actually upgrades, sounds like the only company that offers it, is charging a bunch...

In the meantime there is this, will work for everything besides time machine I think.
http://icomputernrd.blogspot.com/2011/07/freenas-fix-for-afp-connection-issues.html?spref=fb

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Laserface posted:

ReadyNAS NV+4000 here. Netgear are working on it apparently, and have been for a while.

can someone test - apparently its not an issue if you connect as guest? im a pretty lax house-admin and dont require authentication on my NAS at home so Im hoping that works.

I have a Cisco SmartStorage, and while it's a clone of the QNAP box basically...Cisco takes their sweet time porting anything over, and they make sure the packages aren't compatible...grr

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Sweet, my logitech mouse tilt now switches between mission control spaces....epic.

I too didn't think Logitech Control Center would be updated either, pretty awesome. Now get on it NAS drives, Adobe, and everyone else...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Mo0 posted:

is there a TVersity equivalent for Mac? I'd like to stream my videos to my 360, but I can't seem to find a player that will transcode stuff; all my Google searches are getting me is Connect360 or people asking for a TVersity Mac version.

I think you can run TVersity on the mac, but there are a couple of other ones you could use:

PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/) - Has 360 'unofficial' support. Free.
MediaLink (http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink) - Works great, should support PS3/360. $20

Edit: Whoops, medialink is only for the PS3, Connect360 is the one you want - http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360

Edit2: And for TVersity I was thinking of TwonkyMedia Server, which will run on a mac (haven't used it though). There seem to be a bunch of them that all are front ends to basically open source on the fly video encoders.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 25, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Anybody got a lockup when starting to play a flash video? It's happened to me twice now, have to hard restart, nothing else is responsive even though you have control of the mouse.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196498&highlight=

Edit: I'm scared to open flash videos now...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Martytoof posted:

Check your Console log and see if coreservicesd segfaulted. I'm exhibiting similar symptoms: Retain mouse control, can drag windows around and interact with them, no keyboard input possible, apps just start crashing after interaction. Happened once when I tried to open QuickTime with Perian (admittedly unsupported thus far) and once yesterday, though I forgot what I was doing at the time.

Yeah, honestly, I can probably count on two hands the number of times a month I actually use the traffic lights. I'm so used to just hitting cmd-w/cmd-q/cmd-h

Can't find a segfault.

Both times it's happened have been with flash, but with something else going on in the background. This time I was updating two apps from the app store. I'll try to isolate it better next time.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Granite Octopus posted:

Please oh please oh please I hope this fixes the iMac video crash bug. I've lost so much work because of that :(

Going to install as soon as I get home.

Working good for me so far, although I still cringe every time I click on a flash video...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I really dislike preview opening up and showing whatever it was I last looked at...

I see there is a hack to prevent it from doing that, but, it seems like there should be something a bit more 'elegant'.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

wolffenstein posted:

Close the window before quitting the app.

Yeah I know, but I'm in the habit of just command-q'ing it...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Ah ha, that works and seems much cleaner. The other way was to write a file the system couldn't write to as the saved state or something like that... Thanks!

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Is there an iPhoto thread, I thought there was but couldn't find one.

Anyways, my wife's computer has been having some issues with iPhoto.

It started when the drive containing iPhoto started failing. I replaced the drive, and restored from Time Machine backup. I think it restored almost all the photos, however all her videos from 6 months previous stopped being able to play.

After verifying the file was in the 'Masters' section, and could be played, I tried rebuilding the library using iPhoto, nothing worked. So I used iPhoto Library Monitor (http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/) and rebuilt the library.

Now here's the really weird thing, it's still missing ~500 files, almost all which are videos. But they all still exist in the Masters section if I go look for them. If I try to reimport it says they are already imported.

My theory is that the drive was bombing out, but Time Machine was still able to back up the data, which means some bad data got backed up somehow. I may have lost a bunch of things, but I guess I don't really know. I'd prefer just to have everything working again though. Any thoughts on what I can do?

I do have a folder in an old version of iPhoto that has a listing of files, although not sure how to get a list exported out to compare it with the new one and see the file names I'm missing.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
If you want to do debugging as well (including SSL monitoring, etc), Charles Proxy is unbeatable. It can do rewrites, monitoring, add headers, modify headers, etc.

http://www.charlesproxy.com/

$50 but well worth it.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Bob Morales posted:

BackBlaze has a Mac client

I've been using backblaze for awhile and it works good. Their newest client auto throttles which is nice, and also seems to not churn my disk as much. For awhile it used to cause time machine to rebackup a lot of things (since it would change it's index, then time machine would have to rebackup the whole back blaze directory). I'm not sure if I fixed that with a time machine exclusion, or the software just got better.

The only issue I have now is that every once and awhile I have to go clean out the logs from backblaze, as it'll amass 10gbs of them or so.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

DoktorLoken posted:

So way back in the day Address Book used to have some bluetooth functionality. It seems that this has been entirely removed from OS X these days.

Anyway, I'm looking mostly for a bluetooth caller ID app for OS X to display incoming calls and send/receive SMS. Extra gravy on top would be speakerphone function.

So far I've found Phone Amego which does almost all of that (SMS doesn't seem to work though and I'm not even sure if that's possible on an iPhone) but the speakerphone function is garbage and mostly unusable.

I think you can still sync via bluetooth to address, but you have to do it from the bluetooth side (i.e. set up the connection, and allow the connection to do the address book). There used to be iSync as well, but I think that died in 10.7.

BluePhoneElite used to do a bunch of cool caller id stuff, but it's really old and the site seems to have disappeared...

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16070/bluephoneelite/

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

mediaphage posted:

For future reference, MS makes available VM builds of Windows with IE for web testing. You can download one and run it for something like this.
which are for virtualpc, and all the convert to virtual box/etc appear to be windows based...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
ok this is awesome. Trying this out, thanks!

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Mu Zeta posted:

The thing that sucks is that you can't have it so mice and the trackpad behave differently. If you want natural scrolling for the trackpad it's going to act the same on the mouse.

Scroll reverser will let you control them separately.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

DarkJC posted:

It costs money to license ActiveSync from Microsoft, not to mention maintenance costs. They don't use it in the Gmail app, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about here. ActiveSync is separate from sending push notifications.

ActiveSync gets to run backgrounded, so the notifications are actual "local" ones. Without that support, the app has to handle it in itself.

I think the only other option is the long polling imap that was/is offered by yahoo, but not sure anyone else got to do that.

Edit: response is a non-sequitur really, but still some good info. I like the ActiveSync

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

modig posted:

Recently (last week or so) using Reeder I've been unable to use my typical pattern of pressing j to stop through stories. On both my MBA (typically full screen) and my work iMac (typically windowed) its like it loses focus from the Reeder window, or at least that part of the Reeder window after a few seconds. If I mash j faster than I can read articles it works, but if I take the time to read the whole post, then j usually won't work anymore. It's not just j, all of the other shortcuts I've tried don't work then either. Very confused about what is going on.

This same thing started happening to me on both my macs....if I click back into reeder it works, but otherwise nothing. Annoying!

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I had a "and that's why I love OS X" :allears: moment this weekend. Work doesn't require me to travel, so whenever I go anywhere I don't bring my laptop; just my iPad for entertainment purposes on flights, hotels, and such. This weekend I had to head out of town for a family emergency though and brought my MacBook Air with me. Now I expect my iPhone and iPad to adjust automatically to time zone changes. They use location services extensively, have GPS built in, and get time information from Verizon towers. However, I didn't expect to fire up my laptop and for the time to automatically adjust itself 2 hours based on its location. As far as I know, Windows 7 doesn't do that, and I'm not sure about Windows 8.

It was just one of those nice little touches that I can never remember when people ask why I switched to OS X 7 years ago, but they sum together for a really nice user experience.

Even better it's an option when you create your account, or in 'Date & Time" so you can turn it off if you want to stay on your old time zone all the time. I think even the calendar app respects the time zone you are in, and auto moves everything around. Pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

1997 posted:

I have never seen that message before. Are you sure it wasn't some bogus Safari popup?

I get it occasionally, but I assumed it was because my NAS "supports" time machine. No clue why it happens, and scares me, thankfully I use backblaze as well.