Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So AFP has been replaced with AFP2 and theres no backwards compatibility until my NAS firmware upgrades?

because if so its going to be a looooong 3 weeks of work if i dont have my back catalog of top gear and other NAS-stored media :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

I'm in the same boat, hopefully mine actually upgrades, sounds like the only company that offers it, is charging a bunch...

In the meantime there is this, will work for everything besides time machine I think.
http://icomputernrd.blogspot.com/2011/07/freenas-fix-for-afp-connection-issues.html?spref=fb

ReadyNAS NV+4000 here. Netgear are working on it apparently, and have been for a while.

can someone test - apparently its not an issue if you connect as guest? im a pretty lax house-admin and dont require authentication on my NAS at home so Im hoping that works.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

All my links to shared locations in finder (listed in the favorites sidebar) no longer work - how do i remove/reactivate them?

EDIT: redrag them to the favorites bar and youre golden.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 21, 2011

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has anyone else with a magic trackpad AND a mouse noticed that sometimes after waking from sleep, mouse presses require two clicks to work?

This happened twice now. fiddling with settings in mouse/pad preferences tends to fix it though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Setting up some macs for a client and we are looking for a centrally managed antivirus system. We typically deploy Trend Micro worry free for our windows clients, and this actually supports mac clients (including servers) but needs a windows server to host it (which they will have).

unfortunately only the advanced edition supports macs, and its more expensive. Is there any other suggestions for a centrally managed, mac friendly AV solution?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

echobucket posted:

Why do you think you need anti-virus on your macs?

If I didnt agree with you I wouldnt have to ask ;). Im the mac guy in the team since I have the most experience with them, and I dont run AV on any of my macs at home or elsewhere.

but its a Medical practice. mac mini server and a windows server for terminal services as the patient database software isnt supported on anything but windows (not even on VMs). so the windows machine will have AV on it, but we want to make sure that the drones responding to chain mails and looking up work from home for 50k a month schemes dont have the potential to pass on virus' to the server or their backups, and all our windows clients use Worry-Free because we resell it and its centrally managed from the server.

Our director/owner just wants to make sure we cover our rear end more than anything.

beyond that I would say its part of the legislation regarding medical practices and protecting patient data here, but I havent checked into that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

question regarding upgrading to lion from leopard.

I know you need to upgrade to snow leopard first. BUT, if I need to install lion on two computers, can I purchase one copy of each? ive never used a retail SL disc before, or the lion USB stick.

to recap: 2 macs, both leopard, both need lion. can I get by with a single copy of SL and Lion?

EDIT: according to http://lowendmac.com/newsrev/11mnr/0819.html I can do the lion bit fine as they are all owned by one person. so can I use a single retail copy of SL?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 29, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can anyone recommend an MSN chat client that is not adium and does the following?

allows custom text sizing in both typing and chat window
tabbed chat windows
minimal fluff (display icons, chat buttons)

MSN for mac is literally better than the windows version by a million miles, I just wish it would remember that I want to hide the stupid pop-out display icon tray and give me the option to choose the color of the chat window.

alternatively if there is also a A-patch style thing for MSN on mac then just give me that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Having some trouble installing Lion on a RAID1 setup in a mac pro. 12 core xeon with 2x500GB SSDs.

we have copied the recovery partition to a USB and tried that, but it wants around 10 hours to 'download necessary components'

it will install fine to a single drive install but we need it set up in RAID1. we have added both SSDs to the array successfully but it fails about half way through the installation.

outisde of purchasing a lion USB key, is there a way we can use another lion-based mac to create an offline installer of sorts that contains ALL the data required? I have a 10.7.3 mid 2011 imac and a 10.6.8 mid 2011 MBP at home.

its not my computer nor will it be with our company after we deliver it to the client so I would like to avoid using my itunes account to re-download it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im having a strange issue with itunes purchases.

My client has 5 devices - a windows PC, an Imac (lion) 2 ipads (2 and 3) and an iphone (4S).

when he downloads content from the itunes store, be it music, tv shows, movies, etc using his ipad, the content shows up on his Imac at home, but when he uses the apple TVs around his house to play them, he gets an error. he has to go into purchased items and re-download the content. the cover art downloads fine, but will not play back until re-downloaded from the itunes store.

automatic downloading to all devices is enabled across the board.

He also has itunes match, and from reading a bit in the iphone thread it seems a little flaky at best. if thats what I need to turn off, it wont be a problem.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Question regarding Outlook 2011:

one of our clients has a POP email address that comes in directly to his outlook. Previously, on his windows machine we had this set up to save to his .OST file on his computer so that it was backed up on the exchange (roundabout way, I know)

he has since migrated to Mac and due to issues he was having with outlook (surprise surprise) we blew away his identity and are reconfiguring from the ground up (this was after trying a clean reinstall + importing the original identity, repairing the user data folder, etc)

is there a way to save the incoming POP email to the OSX equivalent of the .OST? this was done previously but no one remembers how.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had to open my windows 8 RC VM to install the airport configuration utility because the one on my iMac (OSX 10.7.5) would configure it half way then poo poo the bed at the last step. could see it on the network, and that it needed a firmware update, but couldnt airplay to it from anything or configure it. I had tried multiple resets but it kept doing it. Windows application did it all flawlessly however.

As someone who switched to apple from windows to get away from random stupid poo poo happening and get into 'the ecosystem' where software, hardware and peripherals magically become one, I was pretty annoyed at that, especially because there was no error. just a prompt for a password which led nowhere.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can you get widgets to appear on the desktop? i have one that monitors the status of my NAS (fan speed, temps, disk status) and a few other handy ones I would like t leave laying around (calculator, weather). it seems pointless having them on the dash board since, while they are easy to 'peek' at (3/4 finger drag on the track pad) they dont actually update or run unless you fully open the dashboard.

I wanna load them all up on the right hand edge of the dashboard then just pull my desktop right with the track pad to peek at them if I need :( leaving them on the desktop is a messy but tolerable middle ground I guess.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there any way to set Skype to open to my contacts list instead of Skype Home?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

My understanding of TIme Machine is that it backups my whole hard drive so in case it crashes, I can look at my backup and just start from where I left off. I would rather just want something that automatically backs up specific folders that I can just drag and drop on a new computer. Is there a software that does this?

Carbon copy cloner or super duper.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there any way to reset what drives you can use with time machine? I know sometimes it asks with new drives and you can choose 'yes/no/never ask' but it seems ive chosen never ask with my NAS and want to run a time machine back up to it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

porkface posted:

Time Machine control panel, but you can't use network drives.

My NAS runs a time machine service, and I've used it previously without issue.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 6, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

porkface posted:

Which one? I'd love to get this going.

Netgear ReadyNAS NV4000. i should state that its currently NOT working, because of the previous complaint. but I was using a backup on it in the past (on Lion). maybe firmware updates on the NAS coupled with ML has broken it, I will have to look into it.

from what I can remember it just advertises as "readyNAS" and you have to configure a password for it, and thats it. I stopped using it because my NAS filled up but now i have some more drives in it I want to use it again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

porkface posted:

After a bit of reading I can't tell what they're doing exactly. Is it just like the "create a sparse bundle disk image on a share and mount it like a local disk" method I've seen in a few places?

Going to have to try this tonight.

Not sure of the specifics behind it, I just tick a box in the NAS admin web interface.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I recently updated to mountain lion and now my computer disconnects from my NAS because apparently the computer going to sleep is enough to turn off the ethernet port.

in addition to that my python install seems all hosed up and sickbeard will eventually stop working as python pegs the CPU at 99% usage.

is there any way to stop the ethernet disconnecting, without fully disabling the computer sleeping?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue with Mail.app on Lion/ML.

when setting signature size, if you leave the box ticked for 'match my email font' (paraphrasing) which is helevicta 14, it will actually bump it up to 18 or so when sending the mail. Everywhere it appears - in the signature box, in the email itself, before sending, looks fine. once its sent out the recipients copy has a huge signature.

adjusting it to any size by selecting the text and changing font to another size while un-ticking the box works fine. unticking the box and using font size 14 causes the same thing to happen again.

took me a good while to figure out what the gently caress was going on there, even resorting to plain-text copying in of the signature from a text file to avoid getting weird formatting brought across from word wouldnt fix it.

seems that its just bugged at size 14.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Having bold/italic/underline, bulleted/numbered lists, a differentiation between normal text versus command line output, images, and even different colours for different people in a conversation can all be useful.

Not all rich email is pink comic sans with a spiral ruled notebook paper tiled background.

no you see all email is supposed to look like an episode of Strongbads email.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so is there any explanation or fix as to why mountain lion kills network connections when going to sleep? even with 'allow network access while sleeping' is enabled?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

~Coxy posted:

That setting is for WOL. You can't maintain connections while sleeping, that would defeat the point of sleeping. You can use normal Display Sleep instead if you wish.

it worked fine in Lion and SL. now every time it wakes up Ive lost connection to the internet (so I cant use my Logmein) and my NAS is disconnected (so SABNZBD/sickbeard cant work their magic without waking the PC up to the transfer the files to the directories)

I can see on my router the Gigabit light switches to ethernet for that port. it did not do this previously.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

8ender posted:

No there are plenty of NAS devices that support time machine. I have everything in my house backing up to a nice FreeNAS server I built. Works great.

Lion and Mountain Lion broke support for some third party time machine systems.

I had it working fine on SL using my netgear NAS but the upgrade to Lion and then ML time machine cant find the server/disk.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

it was definitely sleeping, because you could hear everything power back on when you woke it up (disks spinning up and fans too)

I dont have power nap, I dont think my imac supports it (mid 2011)

the computer was definitely sleeping previously. it was set to sleep after 15min of inactivity with screen off at 10. this worked without fault in Lion for nearly 2 years. Hard disks spin down when possible, wake on lan enabled.

mountain lion has changed that now and when sleeping, the ethernet jack is down grading to 100mbit (router light goes from green to orange) and when it wakes up, theres a 5-10 second delay for network activity - cant browse the web, MSN/skype is disconnected. I get a message that my NAS is not reachable and is disconnected (although it reestablishes pretty quickly)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

People have TB devices?

Manufacturers sell TB devices?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My ethernet port on my iMac is still giving me grief.

I made a full time machine backup and then nuked the drive, reinstalled Mountain Lion from internet recovery. The Ethernet port then worked fine until I attempted to set a static IP, which I previously had set up (for sickbeard/SABNZBD+/other port forwarding). The router wouldnt give it the IP set for the MAC address, and when selecting "manually with DHCP" the whole ethernet port becomes inactive and doesnt recognise the cable is even connected, which is exactly where I was before I formatted. Unfortunately theres no way to get it to become active again.

The port works fine in recovery mode and before booting (the activity light on the router blinks) but as soon as you hit the desktop it shuts down all activity on the port.

Im at work now and the recovery is running at home. Anything I am missing?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anyone know why windows file sharing would stop working on an Lion install? a reboot did not fix the issue, the only thing that did was turning SMB sharing off and then on again.

this is the second time we have had this issue, which results in our clients backups not running.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mercurius posted:

This happens to me as well on my work laptop, mainly when I take it home. I did some troubleshooting and I'm pretty sure it's related to how SMBX accepts connections based on DNS.

At work I have a static reservation in DHCP with an A record attached to it and SMB connections always work with it (the suffix isn't in my search path so I always use the FQDN to connect).

At home I also have a static reservation and A record in DNS but the suffix is provided by DHCP so I normally use just \\name to connect from other computers. If I connect through \\name it tends to be hit and miss and I'll often need to restart SMB as you mentioned but if I use the FQDN (\\name.domain.net) it works pretty much every time.

Of course, if you're using straight IPs this won't help at all.

Well we are using IPs or domain.local, so yeah. Nice to know Im not alone at least.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mavericks question: Im currently connecting to my NAS using AFP, should I switch to SMB2? what gives the best performance for write speed to the NAS? (its a netgear RAIDiator based Sparc NAS, if that helps. SMB, AFP, CIFS are supported)

EDIT: after some testing on my own, SMB is worlds faster. YMMV.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 10, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whats the recommended NTFS software these days? Paragon?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The M Player X update to "support Mavericks" actually breaks M Player X for me on my mid 2011 27" iMac.

IT was working fine all last week with Mavericks GM seed, updated Mplayer X to resolve the issue with the progress bar not working properly and now M player X just chews through RAM until it starts freezing.

I would suggest avoiding the update for now.

Also: any way to restore the coloured highlights instead of using Tags? I had my network shares folders (TV shows, Movies, Music, Photos etc) all coloured different for easy identification in list view, now it puts a useless coloured dot next to them instead of a vibrant coloured bar over the whole line.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Upgraded my Mid 2011 iMac from 4GB to 16GB since it was running a little sluggish in 10.9 and while the performance bump is nice, I noticed 8GB is being used up by file cache. This seems to just grab whatever it can and hang on to it.

I did some googling but couldnt really find a solid answer - is there a way to reduce the limit for this? it seems excessive to store that much stuff in RAM - I mean I didnt even open any additional apps since yesterday and its gone from 10GB to 12GB (thanks to the file cache). I even CLOSED applications since then.

I realise its not using all my RAM right now, and that its not like having 'empty' RAM improves performance but I just dont want it hitting the ceiling like it did with the 4GB and being slow to wake up again. (which was the whole reason I upgraded to begin with)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Xabi posted:

I've seen this discussed before but I can't seem to find it.

How do I get Windows-style file sorting, i.e. folders first and then "loose" files? Can't live with this "everything in alphabetical (dis)order" system.

Sort by file type in list view?

i think in icon view you can do clean up/clean up by>name/type/size/ etc

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just having a look on the mac app store at re-visiting some old games - Bioshock and COD4. I have a 27" iMac so am wondering how well they will perform on the larger display and if I can crank up the detail?

mid 2011 (i5 2.7ghz, 16GB RAM, 6770M 512MB)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

You'll surely be able to find them cheaper on the Steam store.

Bioshock came out like 7 years ago and COD uses the Quake 3 engine from 1999.

COD is $49USD and bioshock isnt available on steam for mac.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am trying to use a Dymo label printer via RDC and poo poo is loving up.

The printer works locally fine. The correct driver is installed on the mac (10.7.5) and on the server (2008 R2). when the mac uses the MS RDC app (both the old version and the new appstore version) it utilises a HP 2800 colour laserjet driver, and this cannot be changed from the windows user session (with admin rights and all that).

This is a problem, as its a label printer, and it needs to use the Dymo driver so that it can tell the practice management software that it is printing to a Dymo, and to provide the Dymo label size options as opposed to the regular paper size options.

Is there a way to force a different driver to be used for the RDC software? I am guessing MS uses the driver they do because its some shonky universal driver.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is smooth scrolling in web browsers still limited to the trackpad/magic mouse? last time I used my logitech mouse it went to 1990s rigid scrolling and no amount of extensions for chrome would make it as good as using the mac pointing hardware.

I like the gestures functionality however the Magic mouse is uncomfortable as gently caress for extended use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

All I want is a simple way to see the speed of file transfers within finder.

Why does this not exist yet?