Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is anyone else having problems with the back button in firefox since the last update? It doesn't work unless I hit it twice. It feels like I'm using a cheap walkman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is this god awful function on Photoshop Cs4 that makes it so having both fingers on my track pad tilts the the document on accident all of the time. How can I turn this off? Like, a little compass pops up tilts the page and its crooked when I let go. Can't even figure out how to re-center it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just finally upgraded to Lion the other day and now I am having airport problems. My network is still set as my preferred network and it is set to automatically connect, but when I open and close the lid on my laptop it either A. disconnects from the network and I have to go back to it manually or, B. Stays connected but the internet wont work until I refresh the page 5 or six times. Help?

Edit: also, sometimes it works fine (maybe 10%). I don't get it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 10, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mono posted:

Have you installed updates? Mine did the same thing and if I recall correctly there was a patch within a week of Lion's release that fixed it.

Yeah, but the same problem persists.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

EDIT: Okay, a little too complicated for me...

You just download it and it makes itself your default screensaver :confused: How is that complicated?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I posted a few days ago that after installing lion that airport will no longer automatically connect to the internet. I have updated everything and reset my router etc. but I don't know what is causing this. It really sucks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have had an ongoing (on and off) problem for a long time with wireless being really slow on my macbook pro. I know it's not my connection because my roomates works fine and so does my PS3. Googling it seems to only suggest I change the DNS which sort of worked the first time this happened but does nothing now. Any advice would be appreciated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TACD posted:

Do you both get comparable results from something like speedtest.net? Also, it could still be the connection if you're in different parts of the house - depending on where the router is there might be an extra few feet of wall between you and it or something.

He is about 15 feet closer to the router.

I think it is fixed (for now) after trying about 10 different fixes I found on Google although I have no idea which one did it ha.

Still having an ongoing problem with Lion though. Since I upgraded airport stopped automatically connecting after coming out of sleep mode. It either doesn't connect at all unless I do it manually or there is a huge lag that involves refreshing the page 5 times before it connects.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow, Diablo 2 won't run on lion. They really need to put a loving sticker on the box so I don't end up spending $30 and popping the box open. Pretty frustrating.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CaptainCaveman posted:

What did the requirements on the box say?

OSX 10.3 and higher.

Legdiian posted:

You realize this game was released ELEVEN years ago right?

They sell boxed copies in retail stores that still cost $30 and state my that mac should run it, but they are off the hook in supporting it because it is old?

Even if they want to stop supporting it they need to let people loving know on the box that their computer isn't going to run it. That's just bad business.

Hopefully the store let's me return it or I am going to make a stink.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 27, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I know I could work around it but it's not worth the effort. My beef isn't even that Lion doesn't support it. It's the fact that the box is misleading. I think it's a big enough deal that they could at least throw a sticker on it saying "doesn't run on OSX lion."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Legdiian posted:

Does the box say it requires a G series processor?

nope.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh wait yeah it does. Why would it run on older versions of osx then?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As much as that makes sense to me now that you explain it, I still feel like it's something worth letting consumers know. As someone who rarely plays games on PC I wouldn't have known that in a million years and it's issues like that make me not want to touch PC games with a ten foot pole.

It's a bummer cause I really wanted some nostalgic fun but I am sure Kmart will take it back if I whine hard enough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

computer parts posted:

Oh, that's not the only thing (not Kmart but I've seen this in retail stores recently as well).

There were plenty of copies of that sitting right next to it actually. I think it's more shocking that Kmart still exists in the first place though. There is even a Little Caesars pizza in the one I went to. It's like a museum of what the world was like 12 years ago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's loving mind blowing to me that OSX doesn't keep a clipboard history. I can't count how many times I have spent time writing something just to have a brain fart and copy something else so it's gone forever. I guess there are apps that will keep a clipboard history out there, but why is this not a standard feature?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not going to dare try and ask this in the Diablo thread so I was hoping to see if I could get some advice. I basically never game on PC so I am a total newb when it comes to this stuff.

I'm playing the D3 beta and my 2009 macbook pro:

Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

According to the site, my laptop exceeds recommended requirements, yet the game runs at like 2 FPS on bare minimum settings. This is basically the problem I have had with the few games I have tried to install on this thing. I always exceed the requirements but every game runs like total poo poo. Maybe it's just a beta thing but I don't want to buy D3 just to find that I can't play it. What gives? Why won't my laptop play games it should be able to run just fine?

Edit: Nope. I am retarded. it's my video card isn't it? I have been waiting for this loving game for 5 years and I'm not going to be able to play it :cry:

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 21, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Buy a new Macbook Pro next week

At this point I think I am just going to keep my Macbook until it melts and get an iMac instead of upgrading. No need for a powerful laptop if I have a desktop.

flavor posted:

I've just tried this out on several computers, among them my 2009 MBP 13" with exactly those specs.

It's decent on the 13". Not smooth like butter, but playable. The very beginning of the game was really 2 FPS regardless of the settings, but also on my Nvidia 460 GTX Windows PC. My conclusion is therefore that they either messed up the beginning or that the game needs to build a cache of some sort before it starts to get decently playable.

In any event the graphics card is okay for this. I know it's old and all that but it's playable.

Nice, thanks for that. I'll give it another whirl tomorrow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stupid question. What is the name of the funtion that shows thumbnails of all of my open windows when I mouse down to the bottom left of the screen? It stopped working for me for some reason and I can't figure out how to turn it back on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That worked. Thanks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How could I go about making sure that everything I save goes to my desktop. I save everything on my desktop and OSX usually remembers that, but 1 out of 10 times it will put things into other folders instead automatically if I don't change it. It's annoying as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it possible to use a 360 controller on a mac running Windows in boot camp?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have had a problem for some time with my old MBP where it takes like 30 seconds to connect to the internet after waking, and sometimes it connects to networks I specifically told it to ignore. Anyhow, I cloned it onto a 1 day old iMac and now I have the same BS happening there. It definitely wasn't a problem until I transferred. What the heck could be causing this?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you normally use Safari or are you just having some beta fun?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just got a new imac and I'm having Airport problems. The internet frequently will cut out for a split second and reconnect. I have a macbook pro amongst numerous other wireless devices in the apartment and the problem seems to only be with the imac. Any thoughts?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not exactly Mac software but for use on a Mac. What's the cheapest way to legally get Windows? I bought some PC Games on sale through Steam thinking I could grab a student copy of Windows for like $60 but it is insanely expensive, like 250-400 dollars depending on the version which is way out of my price range.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any way I can show my stored wifi password? I can't remember it and I am trying to set up windows in bootcamp.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: Never mind I am a dumbass.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 19, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I turn off a PS3 controller once it's synced to my Mac? Is there some way to just shut it down vs. going into system preferences and disabling it?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 12, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Posted about this the other day but didn't get a response.

I synched a PS3 controller to my iMac and it won't turn off (which prevents my computer from going int sleep mode) unless I manually turn it off on system prefs. Is there an easier way to do this? Is there some way I can just turn off the controller?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When looking at the storage section in "about this mac", it says that well over half of my space is being used up by "other". What exactly qualifies as "other?" Are non apple apps just not listed under the apps section or something? I can't figure out for the life of me what is taking up so much space on my HDD when I really don't have that much stuff on this laptop.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is up with Chrome and Shockwave? It is loving horrible. It crashes all the time and now when I try to watch a video I'll just get audio with about 1 frame every 30 seconds.

Is there a decent fix for this? I googled it and heard that turning off the Chrome shockwave player should fix (it's runng 2 when you are using Chrome) but it does nothing. I really don't want to have to start using Safari but this is ridiculous.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My macbook pro has locked out the internal speakers and won't output any sound. This has happened to me before (it always seems related to plugging iphone headphones into it for an extended amount of time) but it is usually something I can fix by restarting the computer. This time it's not working though. The computer doesn't even seem to be aware that it has speakers all of a sudden, so I can't fix it through system preferences or anything. What the gently caress?

Edit: To be clear, the output is set to "digital device" and there is no option to select the internel speakers.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 26, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I saw the plug/unplug thing on google and it was the first thing I tried and the PRAM reset was a good call (it's fixed a handful of problems for me in the past)but, unfortunately neither worked. I should have known not to plug iPhone headphones into my macbook. They always gently caress it up. Just wanted to watch a movie on a plane dammit.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 26, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Siguy posted:

I second this recommendation. I had the same problem on an older MacBook Pro and was resigned to the speakers never working again. Then I shined a flashlight into the port and saw the problem spot. On my old 2006 model, there was a little raised switch in the back that had gotten stuck. Pushing that switch back down with a toothpick fixed the problem and it never happened again.

Obviously be careful jamming things into your electronics. In my case, it required almost zero effort or pressure to push the thing back into place.

Toothpick fixed it in about 2 seconds. :cool: Thanks!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there some sort of app or workaround that will let me play the audio from a Chromecast on the device I'm streaming from? An iPhone option would be good as well. It's really frustrating that I can't find a good way to watch stuff with headphones while using my Chromecast. It seems there are some options out there but everything I can find is for PC or Linux.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm getting a used macbook air and I want to take as little baggage as possible with me from my old MBP. Short of using my apple ID I probably will only transfer a few file via thumb drive.

My question is, even though I don't even use iTunes much anymore and deleted all my MP3s, iTunes always seemed to import the the titles of all of my albums and songs from the last 15 years. Will it automatically do it when I sign in and if so, how can I avoid it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry for the dumb question but where is/what is the name of the option that shows all of the open windows/apps when you drag the mouse to the lower left? I set that up like 8 years ago on my old laptop and can't find the option on my new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stutes posted:

Mission Control prefpane -> Hot Corners button -> Set the lower left to the 'Mission Control' option

Thanks.