Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Solution: switch back to Firefox and figure out why it was messed up. Safari is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

carry on then posted:

How many of the things it catches aren't Windows viruses?

Probably none.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

lol internet. posted:

Not sure if there's gonna be anyway to do this but I figure I'd ask.

Essentially I am in an apartment complex and there happens to be multiple "xfinitywifi" hotspots. The one which happens to be the strongest in my apartment seems to be dishing out 169.x.x.x ip address'

Is there an application to set a preferred xfinitywifi network based on mac address? As I keep switching on and off between the broken xfinitywifi network and the working one due to the broken one having a higher signal strength in most the apartment.

Contact comcast and ask them to fix whichever one you are the subscriber of. And if you're not the subscriber of either, call comcast and subscribe to your own.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have wanted something like this without having to use a third party application for years. I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this feature.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cyne posted:

Well it ought to considering it's basically the same name the OS had 30 years ago when it first came out. :v:

Wasn't it just called "System" or "System Software" until 7.5?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
All of these messages features really make me dread group chats with my family after iOS 10 comes out. New notifications and side by side in safari on iPad is cool though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Haha no new laptops.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

flavor posted:

And Apple is doomed of course.

The last time new hardware was introduced at WWDC was in 2013, it's not a given that they'd show it at a WWDC keynote.

The hardware thread has been abuzz with advice to wait until the event before purchasing a new macbook pro because some might be announced, since it's been a while since anything new in the pro line had been announced. Rumors and spy shots reveal they're working on something, just surprised not to see it today.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just use iCloud keychain. Any reason I shouldn't?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

fleshweasel posted:

I really can't fathom why they would have that as a default behavior. Is it just for people who think they're above all the comments sections on the Internet?

Embedded tweets and external comments sections like disqus all drop cookies that follow people from site to site. People who like to block ads with tools like this also like to block tracking.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Or you can just use transmission because it's good and they are moving to github to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Draftsight is not just a viewer but I think it works on a mac and it's free.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Anyone still using a mid 2012 retina MacBook pro 15"? I have someone willing to sell me a 16gb model with a 512mb SSD 2.6ghz i7 for $900. The specs seem pretty close to the one currently available aside from the slower RAM and the lack of a touch bar.

Is this machine a good deal? Is it too ancient to be useful for web development (Apache/php/mysql, in a Docker container, angularjs, node.js, sublime text, light Photoshop) on a 1440p monitor?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 17, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

crazysim posted:

I have that machine. I think it's still fine. In fact, I'm sure my workload is bigger than what you've described.

Another big spec difference is the 512GB SSD of then and of the NVMe 512GB SSD today. The 2012 SSD tops out at around 300MB/s compared to the probably 1GB/s+ current SSDs have at 512GB. Main reason I know this is because my workload is a buttload of VMs with no Dockerization possible and I have a work laptop with a NVMe SSD of a few years later to compare. That said, you're using Docker, and in a Docker environment so that kind of SSD grinding action is far more minimized.

Another semi-drawback is that page scrolling in Chrome on the integrated intel GPU is not 60FPS because of the Retina. *shrug*. It's not janky but it isn't 60FPS.

I think its fine for what you're doing.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Just realized I didn't post this in the hardware thread, sorry!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm not so worried about the battery life anyway. I've used laptops for nearly 20 years and 95% of that has been plugged in.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Luceo posted:

I have a mid-2012 non-retina 15" MBP (2.6GHz i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD, 650M) and the only thing that has me even wanting to upgrade a little bit is for a better GPU for the few games I do play on it, like WoW and Civ6. I mainly have it plugged into an external display, too, and I've already had the battery replaced. Best machine I've ever owned.

That's great. I have a beefy gaming pc (and consoles) for games so the mac is strictly business so the retina version of what you have should be perfect for me. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Well I got the 2012 yesterday and it's a hell of a machine. Earlier last year I had a 2012 13" rMBP for a few months and this machine is MUCH more powerful than the 13". (which had a dual core i5 with no hyperthreading)

This machine doesn't feel underpowered in the least to me. I made a good choice. It is so much nicer than the windows machine I was using for this web dev stuff.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

AlternateAccount posted:

That ain't no way for a grown man to do his business.

Literally the only iPhone app I have ever cobbled together was one to play the sound from this, for when I hear things like that nonsense. Probably my most used app:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CIYR_XgBSY

You see the irony in using a development IDE to write and compile code into an application that runs on a computer you carry around in your pocket to mock nerds right?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

dexter6 posted:

That's a good thought, but how do I lock it? I assume terminal and the right command?

While logged in as him get rid of the offending extensions and run the following from the terminal

code:

sudo chown -R root:root ~/Users/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Extensions/

sudo chmod 644 ~/Users/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Extensions/

Note: he won't be able to update the extensions anymore because his user won't have permission to write the updated files to the directory.

You'll need his password to execute those commands. You'll be prompted for it after entering the first one. To undo it you'll just change root:root in the first command to username:staff replacing username with whatever is username is.

Edit: yes as the guy below says switching him to safari is the better option

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 31, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Instead of worrying about temps try and figure out what's dominating your CPU. Open a terminal, type "top" without the quotes and take a screenshot and post that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Yeah I got that but that's not the whole story. That's one or two processes. The whole list is more useful. Also if he was using activity monitor and not top there's a chance it only showed processes for his user which is the default behavior so the problem process may have been hidden.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 5, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

~Coxy posted:

If it's throttling that won't be very helpful.

Install Intel Power Gadget to check. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

Then clean out your fan(s).

If a runaway process is taking CPU time that legit processes need it certainly is helpful.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
For ad blocking network wide I use a raspberry pi running something called pi hole. All of your dns requests go through it and it just rejects requests for ad networks and trackers and replaces it with blank content. Works great for ads, sponsored stories on news sites, and it works on every device on my network and it's not trackable by the sites themselves so you never get a "disable Adblock for this site" pop up anywhere. It's really cool. It of course requires a raspberry pi and a router that will allow you to select a new default DNS server to route all requests through but I already had one lying around.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Doesn't seem worth getting fired over. Lots of employee handbooks say specifically not to use personal software on company machines and this is doing that to an extreme

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Smashing Link posted:

This has been informative. Although once again I should clarify that I am not in a position where IT could fire or discipline me, I guess I will leave the device as issued. It doesn't sound like it's foolproof from either the CCC cloning perspective or the MDM perspective anyway. The more you know! Also this forum seems to have gotten a bit more conservative with age, or maybe SH/SC was always more mature.

It's not IT that fires people for that, it's IT that reports it to people who can fire people for that. It's a security risk. It's a multi-user unix OS so install things in your ~/Applications folder if you need stuff that you can't install in /Applications.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use pi-hole for network wide ad blocking. Basically it is a raspberry pi that acts as a dns server that points known as serving domains at itself instead of the ad servers so in place of an ad you see nothing. And since it works network wide and is not a browser plugin it can't be detected and it works on all of my devices.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

theperminator posted:

https://panic.com/blog/stolen-source-code/

If anyone's downloaded handbrake recently you might've gotten some nasty malware, but we totes don't need AV guys.

AV in the traditional sense wouldn't protect against that sort of thing though... It could help remove it after the fact, but it wouldn't have prevented it in the first place.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

theperminator posted:

That's a load of crap, av with heuristics might have picked it up, or even something like little snitch would say "hey your computer is trying to connect to Russia"

I run little snitch. Don't really consider that as AV though. It's extremely unlikely any AV would have picked up what that thing was doing though, heuristics or no because it wasn't really doing anything "virus-like" that a normal app shouldn't do.

Run AV if you want. I don't really give a poo poo what other people do with their computers. I was just saying I doubt it would have prevented anything in this particular instance.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Little snitch and not downloading unsigned applications is pretty much all you need.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use a local keepass database that is synced to my iCloud Drive. Doesn't depend on any outside company other than Apple, and that's just for storing my password protected encrypted password file.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Did I miss any announcement about the new pencil having an erase function?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
yawn.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Krispy Kareem posted:

The biggest thing MacOS lacks in an IT setting is Visio. There is no fully compatible alternative. Everything else has a Mac option that's just as good if not better.

This is a legit question, not an rear end in a top hat response. Is there some SQL Server Management Studio app for Mac?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Transmission works pretty well for me. I rarely use it on my Mac anymore though, I have a Linux server on my network handling all of my downloading and plex server duties.

Transit though, an ftp/sftp/scp/file transfer client is great. I used to use CuteFTP until transmit came along.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is it just larger libraries that iTunes sucks with? I've got a 100gb library and iTunes has served me very well for over a decade. I have everything in iTunes Match and it works great for me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm decommisioning my 2011 macbook pro who's battery finally died. I replaced it with a windows machine so my only apple device now is my phone. What's the best way to pull all the imessages off of it- preferably in a way that I can read them on my PC without having to fiddle with an SQLite database

Take a bunch of screenshots on your phone of every text message and then run them through OCR software.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Proteus Jones posted:

Did a little more digging and Handbrake is definitely the one breaking it. A straight rip using MakeMKV works perfect. There's probably a setting I'm missing in Handbrake, but I'm done trying to figure it out. I found something that works and that's ultimately what I wanted.

I have 16TB of space my Synology, so I probably won't go through the bother of compressing them for use at home. I have about 100+ BluRay discs to rip and uncompressed I'm looking at maybe 4 to 5TB tops. I'll just use PLEX's "optimize" to create compressed versions for streaming if I'm out of town. That or mkvtoolnix to compress them.

Isn't downloading faster than ripping? Why not just download them and feel good about owning them on disc too instead of going to the pain-in-the-rear end length of ripping them?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What the gently caress, dude?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What is it useful for to the NSA that a drivers license picture wouldn't be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

fordan posted:

Depth map. But again, it'd be a lot simpler to add hardware to get that map to existing public or DMV cameras than to hack the secure enclave chip remotely.

Yeah I get that the depth map is there. What can a depth map be used for other than creating a model of someone's face? And if that's the only thing what do they gain from being able to make a model of someone's face?