Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
How does the Mac version of Chrome stand up? I currently use Firefox over Safari but was thinking about replacing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Looking to upgrade to Lion for the release of iCloud but still worried about some compatibility issues and overall useability.

Ideally I would split my partition, install Lion clean and fresh then move everything over and finally delete my original partition and resize. Looking above this doesn't seem as simple as it sounds (due to the recovery partition).

Anybody have an easier method?

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fren posted:

I have a metric shitton of documents that I want to scan into Lion and store for archival purposes.

I'm looking for a program that would help do this:

* I scan in a document
* It allows me to give it a name, and tags, and maybe some metadata and then it tosses it in a database.
* Then I can search by name, tag, or the metadata.

I can't seem to find a single program to do this without it being a horrible bloated/unusable piece of poo poo. Does anyone swear by some piece of software for this task? Additionally, recommendations on a good scanner would be nice as well.
Sounds like you want DEVONthink. Great solution if you don't mind paying the cash but they are pretty firm on prices. That said they will issue you a trial license if you email them.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Been using TuneUp (beta) to try and clean up my disastrous music collection. Prior to that I was using MusicBrainz Picard. Is there another solution that uses GraceNote or freedb that isn't as brainless as TuneUp (and performance horrible) or as technical and clumsy as MusicBrainz Picard.

TuneUp would probably be great if my library didn't consist of >40GB of songs over a wide variety of metadata including rips I created back in ~1998 and have since had the CD collection go up in a fire.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
I did a fresh install of Lion on my Late 2009 13" MBP and have been getting pinwheeling and hard locks every so often. Anyone take a bat at what it could be? TOP doesn't reveal anything hogging too much of a particular resource but I never had this issue with Snow Leopard. Hardware vs Software anyone have an idea where to start looking?

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Holy hell my university internet is fast. I was at the library and did the software update. Took ~1 minutes to download ~1 GB. The install however took pretty long... probably >10 minutes after everything was said and done. I did worry that my computer would never turn back on at one point when the screen went black due to inactivity.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Don't know what is going on but ever since Lion I've been getting pinwheels OFTEN. I've thought it was FireFox but even using other browsers I still get pinwheels and also realized it was happening in practically every other application. Is there some sort of magic that I should know about? I did a clean install of Lion about a month ago and never had any sort of issue similar to this with Snow Leopard.

The fact it happens often makes me think it is the HDD but it is less than 6 months old, never had issues before, passes all test utilities I can throw at it with flying colours.

Is there some sort of cache I can clear out or secret Lion option I can turn off?

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Did you install fresh or upgrade on top of an existing SL install?
Completely fresh install of Lion. Used an old FireWire drive I had, moved the App Store .App/.DMG to the FW drive, booted off the FW drive and installed it to my internal drive. Only other thing on the internal drive prior was a bootcamp partition.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Barack Pwnbama posted:

Do you have an external hard drive or multiple hard drives in your computer? This happens to me when an external drive spins down and then it will pinwheel when it spins the HD back up. For some reason there is a lot of things in Lion that make the hard drive spin up, seems to happen way more than Snow Leopard ever did.
Happens when none of my externals are connected. I did a full permissions repair and disk repair followed by starting in Safe Mode to clear out any cache problems. Will report back after a few days of use.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Well, a while ago I posted about constant Pinwheels. I believe I've narrowed it down to the replacement HDD I put in a while back. I have a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640GB drive which from the numerous reports on several other forums and groups has major issues with Macbook Pro's. Even disabling the Apple SMS, as the WD drive itself has a shock monitor, doesn't fix the issue.

I can only assume Apple slipped in a firmware update or that Lion only made the issue more apparent. Hardware issue? Software issue? I'm lost at this point.

There are a ton of quick fixes but none seem to address the issue completely :(
I guess I'm in the market for a new HDD unless I want my laptop to beach ball every 2 minutes for no good reason under practically zero load.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
So WD is sending me a new HDD even though the one I have is technically fine, just has known issues working with Macbook Pro's (EFI issue). They also upgraded it in size and performance model so as much as I wanted to say "gently caress YOU WESTERN DIGITAL NEVER BUYING YOUR poo poo AGAIN" they remedied the situation so tastefully I will probably recommend them.

Rarely does a company get back to you, trouble shoot then give you a great option in <3 days turn around.

As to a real software question:

Where/how can I sort my download folder automatically? I'd like it done OS side, not just with a browser plugin. Primarily I'd like to send PDF's and maybe some other files to a specific folder.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Soup in a Bag posted:

A folder action in Automator should be able to do that.
Worked perfect! Thank you, no way was I going to pay $20 bucks for Hazel if it was a feature already include in OSX.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

frunksock posted:

What's the SHSC-preferred mp3 tag editor? I've been using a something called id3-tagit for years that's Windows-only and hasn't been updated since like 2005 or something. I don't really want something that does automatic reorganization (don't trust it), but if there's a tool that does that but also allows me to work manually that's fine. Stuff I want:

1. Select an album and do freedb lookups by track count / track length signature.
2. Move / rename based on id3 info, e.g. /<root>/<artist>/<album>/<track #> - <song title>.mp3
3. Deal with and convert between various text encodings.
4. Manually batch edit v1 and v2 tags.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
I've had a lot of luck using MusicBrainz Picard. It can use plugins if you don't like the default function AND it can do as much or as little as you want it to. It also searches based on unique signature of the file, so even if the tags are completely screwy it can usually figure out what it SHOULD be. It isn't perfect and there is a search option to correlate with.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Shaocaholica posted:

If I remember correctly, the internet installs only work on the new Macs right? It seems like it should work on older macs bootstrapped by external media but I guess that its too soon for that.
I did a reinstall of Lion on my 2009 MBP from the recovery disk and it downloaded lion and installed 10.7.2.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
What would be the easiest way of converting my entire video library. I essentially want to bring down file size while keeping image quality as best I can. I would also like to amalgamate the filetype used. Currently my library consists of .avi, .mkv, .mp4, etc... best option for compatibility would probably be to convert to .avi/xvid.

Tried handbrake as it does everything else pretty well but doesn't fit the bill in this case. I want something where I can drag dump a queue of files in and have it spit them out to a folder.

Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
So I asked before about how to move PDF's that land in my download folder and had great success with Automator (though it does bork-up from time to time). Does anyone know of a solution to unobfuscate the filenames? I'd like a solution that can either pull a title from the metadata or try and search for a title. I think I might be asking too much, though Mendeley Desktop does something similar -- I'd like something that works in the background.