Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
Dunno how many people might need something like this, but subler is a pretty fantastic MP4 muxer if you're trying to get a bunch of H.264 crap into an iOS-native format, complete with movie/TV show database lookup and iTunes compatible tagging. I've been using it to convert a bunch of MKV rips to add to iTunes for 10.5's Home Sharing and it's been amazing for this; I don't really even need to use Air Video much anymore since most of my poo poo was H.264 already, and it'll even convert AC3 to AAC and matrix it into Dolby Pro Logic (or passthru for Apple TV-havers).

e: also, I haven't actually tried this myself, but it looks like if you compile from svn it'll do OCR on DVD VOBSub if you've got a bunch of stuff in that format (I already did this manually with avidemux for my rips :ughh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

fankey posted:

I feel lame asking a 10.6 question in the shiny new 10.7 thread...

I'm having issues downloading files larger than 4.29GB on my Mini. In particular I'm trying to download the iOS tools and every time I do the file ends up being 4,294,967,295 bytes ( a very suspicious value ) even though the file is listed as 4.61GB on the Apple site. Not surprisingly I'm unable to mount the image. I'm running fully updated 10.6.8 and my drive is formatted as such-
code:
FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G1:

Capacity:	160.04 GB (160,041,885,696 bytes)
  Model:	FUJITSU MHZ2160BH G1                    
  Revision:	00810009
  Serial Number:	        K67HTA329LEM
  Native Command Queuing:	Yes
  Queue Depth:	32
  Removable Media:	No
  Detachable Drive:	No
  BSD Name:	disk0
  Medium Type:	Rotational
  Bay Name:	Lower
  Partition Map Type:	GPT (GUID Partition Table)
  S.M.A.R.T. status:	Verified
  Volumes:
  Capacity:	209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
  Writable:	Yes
  BSD Name:	disk0s1
Macintosh HD:
  Capacity:	159.7 GB (159,697,911,808 bytes)
  Available:	114.08 GB (114,080,509,952 bytes)
  Writable:	Yes
  File System:	Journaled HFS+
  BSD Name:	disk0s2
  Mount Point:	/
Is there anything on my mac end of things that could be causing this issue? We've actually switched ISPs recently and I had this problem with both providers so I don't think it's on their end and I'm able to download large ISOs on my windows machine.

Here's a screen shot showing that Safari thinks the file is 4.29GB.

Have you tried running fsck on the volume? Reboot your Mac while holding down alt/option, then when the icon for Macintosh HD shows up release that, hold down command-S and hit enter. Follow the prompts (it'll say to type something like "fsck -fy /") and see what happens.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

It feels like I'm using a cheap walkman.

Well, it is Firefox.

Before I get told to go back to YOSPOS, that's actually a pretty apt analogy. Firefox is not a "native" OS X application in the same way that Safari or Chrome (or Finder, etc.) is, in that it uses what's basically a theming engine (XUL) to describe the way a "real" OS X program looks and feels. It happens to be very good and actually does use native UI elements to draw the interface, but (and I'm grossly oversimplifying this) since it's not described to the system the same way that apps developed specifically for OS X are, it's always going to feel a bit off.

This is, incidentally, why you need to use Mac OS X and XCode to develop for iOS: a cross-platform interface might look just fine, but it almost always just feels a little weird.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Has anyone figured out how to turn off shutdown stall reports? I know it's not really a big deal but I like my Console uncluttered :argh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Maybe this has been posted already, but copying files from a USB stick doesn't work.

It will "copy" but once you un-mount the stick, the files disappear.

This pretty much pissing me off a lot, as I am trying to load a Windows 7 .iso and every time it copies, it disappears. This strikes me as a major issue...any solution?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3200189?start=0&tstart=0

Edit: This is on a new MBA w/Lion pre-installed, if that matters.

I haven't run into this myself, but have you tried holding down alt/option when dragging files over? You should see a little green ball with a + in it when you do this.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

This isn't a Lion problem per se, but my iTunes library seems to be partially messed up. I have a few albums that are munged and show as different albums. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Selecting "Get Info" doesn't seem to help. I guess I am wondering if there is a way to force iTunes to re-analyze a few tracks, but without removing them from the database and starting over.

E: Sorry about the image size.

This happened to me too, turns out iTunes retardedly groups poo poo based on the non-visible "album artist" tag.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

Thanks all, that's a pretty straightforward fix. I did not know you could edit multiple files simultaneously.

A few related questions -- and tell me if I should take it to the iTunes thread -- I have been using MusicBrainz Picard to tag my music (most of which is legit from Amazon these days; never thought I would say that). Is there a more Mac-like tagger?

Second, using an external tagger, I notice that iTunes doesn't seem to update the metadata for changed tracks. In particular, I am thinking of the genre tag. I always strip that out after I listen to the album and re-tag it. Now that I know I can mass-edit files in iTunes it shouldn't be too hard to clean up, but if there was a way to have iTunes do it automatically that would save me literally minutes every month!

By default iTunes copies every single file in your library to its own folder system in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. If you're manually tagging a bunch of poo poo, the most likely explanation for your changes not propagating back into iTunes is that you're probably editing the wrong file.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Accipiter posted:

Thank you for beating me to the punch.

Sometimes you just want to make one edit to a file and save it separate from the original. This is not some crazy unheard of bird-brained operation.

And this is just talking about Preview. What about other applications that lack both "Save As..." AND "Export..."? Like say, TextEdit for example. Here's a perfect example. Open TextEdit, create a simple document, and "Save..." it to the desktop. Now make a minor change to the file, and find a way to save it in the exact same format as a completely separate document with a separate filename. YOU CAN'T DO IT.

This was really starting to piss me off so I just deleted TextEdit and replaced it with the version from 10.6. Simple enough, and now it works exactly the same as it did before because it's the same application. I don't think you can do this with Preview though and that's bullshit, I can't even begin to wonder why Apple felt compelled to change the side of the window that the sidebar is on and worse, not let you change it.

e2: Nevermind, figured out how to get Preview working but it's not exactly stable; ignore this for now

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 28, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

moron posted:

I'm trying to upgrade my Snow Leopard Server to Lion. When I run the installer, it presents me with a message saying 'Waiting for App Store to download Mac OS X Server Add On', but then nothing happens. The App Store doesn't do anything, the download doesn't start, and the installation is stalled.

Has anyone else encountered this? I've done some Googling, but didn't find any answers. I'd really rather avoid installing from scratch, if at all possible.

If it's any consolation you can just "upgrade" to the client version and then install Server later and have it configure itself from a backup. The easiest way of doing this would be from a Time Machine backup, of course, but under 10.6's Server Admin you can have it backup and export all of your relevant server settings to a plist from the File menu. At least I think it's under File – it's been a few months since I've had 10.6 installed – but I'm certain the option exists since that's how I did my setup.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Since there's a ton of people still bitching about Preview and TextEdit's "Export" bullshit, I threw together a script that'll replace Lion's lame as hell versions of Preview and TextEdit with Snow Leopard's, and backup Lion's copies if for some reason you decide you want to punish yourself and go back to using those.

Download here: http://db.tt/sh2dZ4g

I tested this on two different Macs running Lion and tried to prevent you from doing anything really stupid (like running on 10.6), but keep in mind this might not work for you, could make you sterile or might blow up your house or something. To use it, just double-click the install script; to remove it and go back to the way things were, double-click the uninstall script.

e: I should probably note here that you'll very likely have to run this again after upgrading to 10.7.x

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 3, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

This isn't a long term solution, as these are new APIs in Lion, and unless you never plan on upgrading any of your apps, you can't get away with this forever.

I figure within a year most apps will start using autosave and versions.

I guess what I'm saying is, you should get used to the new way of doing things. It really will be better in the long run.

I don't like it, it doesn't add any appreciable new functionality, and it's implemented terribly. It's only "the new way of doing things" for two applications. The "feature" is the one who sucks, why should I change the way I've been doing things for like 20 years?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

It does add new functionality. It provides autosaving of files and the ability to roll back to any previous version of your file. Just because you don't appreciate it doesn't mean tons of other people won't love it.

If you did want to keep the keyboard shortcut for Save As.. mapped to Duplicate you can do this in the Keyboard Shortcuts prefpane.

TextEdit already did autosave, and in my experience not only is "duplicate" horribly frustrating to use if you want to just make minimal changes to an old file (and it'll force you to save with a .txt extension if you use command-S), if you don't disable it system-wide the old versions do auto-versioning also. There's literally no new functionality beyond making the save paradigm a lovely frustrating mess.

In Preview's case, with the new version, try this: open a file (any file) and try to convert it to a different format. Just try it. While you're doing that, keep in mind that in the old version, you could do this by just using "save as".

Either way, if you like the new versions, by all means, keep using them. I don't, so I replaced them; there's clearly other people that feel the same way so I figured I'd make it easier for them to replace them also. Nobody is forcing you to use the old versions, although most people probably assume Apple is forcing you to use the new versions, and they'd be partially right: this helps get around that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rckstar79 posted:

That said, if you really want to create a copy of a file, wouldn't it be easier to do that via Finder?

With the new version of TextEdit, probably. But that's the problem: why the gently caress should that be the easier way of saving a different copy of a text document, particularly if it's already open?

rckstar79 posted:

I feel like we're rehashing the same stuff, but doesn't export work just fine for this? And really, if you're changing formats, isn't export a better name for the process than "save as"?

No. Try it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

TACD posted:

Preview has an 'export' option and it works just fine for this :confused: I just did this right now.

I meant "no, try it" as in "no, try it and you'll see that export is not a functional equivalent of save as". Yeah, if you're just switching output formats it works similarly, but if you make a change and want to save it as something else in its original format it won't let you. Also, I don't know if this is a bug or if it's intentional, but if you're using export and change directories, then change output formats, you're put back into the original directory. It's a pain in the rear end and seems like an attempt to fix something that wasn't broken at all.

e:

Nall posted:

I'm learning that some people feel very strongly about 'save as' being removed. I am sorry for your losses. You may need to: Change your workflow, stay with Snow Leopard, switch to Windows, use a different editing app, wait for other 'save as' fans to create a 'save as' hack for Lion.

Lion itself is fine, most of the retarded UI changes they've introduced can be turned off, and the old versions are literally the same functionality-wise but without poo poo thats loving KDE-level stupid and work as drop-in replacements. But really, keep on getting mad that people use things differently than you :qq:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 4, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

withak posted:

If you want people to switch then the best way is to just take away the old option, like pulling off a band-aid. Leaving the old way in won't help people transition; they will just ignore the new behavior and go to greater and greater lengths to force their crusty old workflow into the new system.

I wouldn't have minded a change in the way saving works if it actually made things easier and less complex, but as it is the "new system" is actually more complicated and requires more steps to do simple, menial tasks like saving something with a different file name. I've been using 10.7 for way longer than most people (since the first DP) and I did try to adapt to the new behavior, but it's bad. It's really, really bad. It was so bad, in fact, that I felt compelled to figure out how to undo it. It wasn't that I just don't like it, but it actually made simple tasks much more difficult.

Neurophonic posted:

Except that for the vast majority of people the whole concept of saving files is slightly too abstract to make sense.

Really? How did the billions of people with computers ever save their work before OS X 10.7 Lion came along and showed everyone the One True Way to save a file (and it must be that file. It has to be, the Lion commands it)?

There was nothing wrong with the way saving worked, and the fact that Lion's document revision thing still works with the old versions proves it. There was no reason to change this.

e:

Nall posted:

I think you might be the one who's getting mad. You seem to be raging at the void that things have been changed on you or that you need to do extra clicks or whatever. It really sounds like you are angry that some of us aren't having as much issue adjusting as you are, and I think you should get over it.

All I did was post a link to a script that restores the old versions of two programs. I would have been happy to leave it there, but you guys felt so strongly about how awesome the new saving feature is that you had to tell me how stupid it is to want to use an old version of something. So, I tried explaining my rationale behind this several times, but keep on arguing about it, please :ughh:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 4, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

frumpsnake posted:

Has anyone seen a problem with Time Machine in Lion where it continually backs up a shitload of data despite no actual changes taking place? I don't recall it ever happening on Snow Leopard.

I think it could possibly be related to my SSD+HDD Optibay setup. Based on the size, it looks like it's continually re-backing up everything on the HDD, much of which is symlinked to my user profile on the SSD.

It's actually been much better about this for me than Snow Leopard was. Have you looked at the backup image to see if everything is being duplicated?

If it is, you can set it to exclude certain individual items with tmutil.

e:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why has Apple done nothing new with the Dashboard (other than changing how to access it) since it was added in Tiger? It seems even more noticeable now that it's shown as a dedicated Space in Mission Control. I suppose they added Web Clip, but do they expect people to fill Dashboard with Web Clips? I haven't found a good use for it and still find myself using the same couple of widgets that I've had for years. Hell the Weather widget is still broken after how many years and likes to shift down on its own every time it loads.

Does anyone have any good Web Clip ideas to share?

Have you tried doing this poo poo with Automator? Gruber posted this a while back.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 4, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

quote:

Oct 13 19:24:57 localghost sshd[1144]: error: ssh_msg_send: write

What does this mean and why does it (seemingly) randomly make ssh refuse connections for about a minute or so?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

japtor posted:

Is localghost your username? Otherwise uh I have no clue, using Localghost before by any chance?

No, localghost is the hostname, that's a line from /var/log/secure.log.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there a way to change my current gmail apple id email to my new @me one? I'm getting "You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID." when I try to do it from the Apple ID site.

Yes, just log in with it. :confused:

Or did you want to completely remove the account associated with your gmail address?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

I feel like the new Inspector is way worse than the old one; by trying to simplify it they just made it way harder to use.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

Does anyone know of an adblock plugin that works with Safari 7?

GlimmerBlocker works, but it's not a plugin. Still might be worth checking out, though.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Thanks for the advice. Now I need to find a bunch of poo poo to delete!

For what it's worth you might want to try working around the issue by just deleting the trash in Terminal; you can delete the entire folder (rm -rf ~/.Trash) and the next time you put something into the trash on the Dock the folder will be recreated.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

There's a public beta of AirMail if you want to just try it out.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

I need to run OpenGL Extensions viewer on one of those newfangled Haswell MBA's and see if they really have 100% support for at least Open GL 3.2..

It says they do and the OpenGL 3.2/3 tests pass, but the 4.0+ tests don't run despite them also being reported as 100% supported.

e: on Mavericks, haven't tried 10.8.4 yet

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 12, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

I'm not really sure when this started, but I noticed this repeating over and over in the console:

quote:

2/28/15 12:27:02.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1e
2/28/15 12:27:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1f
2/28/15 12:27:04.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1e
2/28/15 12:27:05.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1f
2/28/15 12:27:06.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1e
2/28/15 12:27:07.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1f
2/28/15 12:27:08.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to send special message 1e

pretty much endlessly. Anyone know what this is about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Good catch, thanks! Turns out the wireless adapter itself somehow got fried.