Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Now that the gag order's off Lion, I just wanted to mention a few things:

1) IMHO you shouldn't bother running Lion on anything that's not a metal-encased Mac. I've had it running on a first-gen Intel plastic Core 2 Duo iMac and it definitely drives the system harder, as I'm seeing graphic garbage and other stuff that's never happened on that machine. It was running Snow Leopard just fine. Same thing with a 2007 MacBook, graphics break up and general niggling fits and lockups on a 3 GB Macbook. Yeah yeah ancedotal evidence.

2) It looks like number crunching-intensive programs will definitely need to be rewritten for Lion. BOINC projects keep cropping up computational errors.

3) I see sales of the Lion thumbdrive going through the roof. They'd better loving make it available in retail, I'm not going to pay $70 for FedEx to stomp it with a boot and say it fell off the belt or something.

Edit: the iMac had discrete Radeon X1600, the MacBook the crapstan GMA 950

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I already used Disk Utility to image the hidden install image onto a nice fast 2.5" drive, optimized the drive by cloning it to yet another drive and cloning it back onto the 2.5", and it works like a charm; much faster than the USB key since it's in a FW800 / USB enclosure.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

I dual-boot my Macbook with Windows 7 and SL using rEFIt. Will installing Lion likely gently caress my setup up or overwrite rEFIt or something? Has anyone with a similar setup tried it?

On a new blank hard drive, installing Lion will create a hidden recovery drive partition, forgot the exact size but it's at least 20-30 GB. I'd imagine it'd gently caress up a non-standard setup (anything with partitions other than HFS+) hard, but I'll try it on one of my BootCamped machines and see.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ I stand corrected.. as long as there's some blank space maybe it'll be fine.

Dog on Fire posted:

Mmmm, I just did that exact thing a few hours ago with my Windows XP desktop, so I can at least tell you so much that it could work if it really wanted to.

He already said forty minutes ago, he updated his subnet mask, Lion somehow nerfed it, now he is happy. More people who don't think to hit refresh button.

Accipiter posted:

Just finished upgrading to Lion and already I'm having problems.

My ethernet port is now all but useless. I can assign it an IP and it says "Connected", but I can't ping the Mac from other machines on the network, I can't ping anything from the Mac, and I can't even ping its own IP from the Mac itself.

What the gently caress?

EDIT: Hurf, durf, that was easy. The upgrade installer nuked the subnet mask in the network config. :rolleyes:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ 10.7.1 can't come soon enough, eh? Although something tells me it won't get fixed till 10.7.2..\

If you use Apple Remote Access, better run Software Update if you want to control Lion-equipped Macs..

Apple posted:

The 3.5 update is recommended for all Apple Remote Desktop users and addresses several issues related to overall reliability, usability and compatibility.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Pretty interesting article about Internet Recovery mode, another new feature of Lion:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/20/new_macbook_airs_mac_minis_feature_lion_internet_recovery_disc_less_repair.html

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

Has anyone bothered making a bootable DVD yet?

I made a bootable hard drive with the ol' Disk Utility restore. Also made a DVD, but since it takes like 15 minutes to boot from the DVD, I decided to stick with the hard drive.

quote:

Installation requires a connection to the Internet, and it does not work with WiFi on some systems.
(I tried this on my MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, and it couldn't find any networks via WiFi. I had to plug in an Ethernet cable.)

I did an install for someone with a one-year old AEBS and a last-gen MacBook and it found the network just fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

A little bit about Safari 5.1: Did anyone notice that if you invoke Reader in Safari on one of those multi-page articles where chapters are linked across the board, that if you go to the first page it autodownloads the rest of the article so you get to read (and print) the entire article in one fell swoop?

And then you can print it to PDF so you can give them the middle finger if they have the nerve to charge you for a PDF?

Maybe it was there in previous Safaris but I never noticed it. Also, hasn't worked on some articles but it works fine for the ArsTechnica Lion review :smug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

On a slightly related note, I decided to try Lion on an old first gen blanco C2D iMac again..

Still sucks, I get graphics breakups just moving windows around, Launchpad and Mission control are retarded, I think it's the X1600 drivers fault since rebooting back to Snow Leopard runs just fine.. maybe it'll get fixed in 10.7.1 but I doubt it.

Anyone else using it on a 2007 machine or older?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

echobucket posted:

My parent have a white 24" core 2 duo 2.16Ghz machine, but it has the Nvidia 7300GT video card in it. I guess I"m going to upgrade them, but your post is making me leery.

Give it a shot, the nVidia drivers might give you a different experience.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

timb posted:

Clean install feels snappier on my 2010 MBA 13" by far.

The nVidia drivers are updated over the ones in SL, probably tweaked for Lion.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

modig posted:

The drivers aren't updated during a normal install?

Huh? I don't understand your question. The ones in Lion are newer than the ones in SL. They tend to get updated even between point releases.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh look what showed up in Software Update just now..

Apple posted:

The Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and resolves issues with:

Transferring personal data, settings, and compatible applications from a Mac running Mac OS X Snow Leopard to a new Mac running Mac OS X Lion

Certain network printers that pause print jobs immediately and fail to complete

System audio that stops working when using HDMI or optical audio out

The last two are known showstoppers that I'm glad they finally loving fixed.

For all of you still on Snow Leopard, get it here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1430

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Can you play HD anywhere else? Like in QuickTime Player or VLC?

What video card did you have?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Select the app in iTunes but hold down option and delete, you should get a window that asks if you want to keep the files or move them to the Trash. Select move to Trash and you shouldn't be bothered again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Is there no way to permanently delete an iOS app in iTunes? I bought some crappy apps that I never plan to use again, but every time I delete them iTunes seems to pop them back into the "Available iTunes Downloads" section.

Sorry, sorry, I was on my iPlod Douche while posting and couldn't edit my post.

Select the app, hold down Command-Option-Delete, and you will get this:

Select Move to Trash and that should permanently kill it from iTunes. Oh, and don't forget to empty the Trash just for good measure.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not that anybody cares, but Quark, Inc. (the Quark Xpress guys? Remember?) was just acquired by a private equity firm.

http://www.quark.com/About_Quark/Press/PressDetail.aspx?ncid=1444

Once so popular it drove sales of MDD G4s running OS 9, now.. whatever.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Or use the Startup Disk control panel in Windows if you're already booted into it and installed Boot Camp properly.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, looks like OS X 10.7.2 is on the way...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/12/apple_releases_new_developer_builds_of_mac_os_x_lion_icloud.html

Never trust 10.X.0 releases..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It means never trust the initial releases of OS X unless you like crashing a lot. Wait for the fixes in later versions.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Separate update for MacBook Air 2011 and Mac Mini 2011... 68 MB.

Probably separate Intel HD 3000 graphics drivers, who knows.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1439

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shin-chan posted:

They do occasionally dispatch a repair person as well if you're really out there.

Only if there's an AASP that normally does onsite calls near you and there's no other choice.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

angor posted:

Does AppleCare cover internationally as well?

Let's say I lived somewhere miles away, like Kenya. Would they still DHL me a box?

AppleCare is international. If you buy it in Japan it's good for getting your Mac fixed here.

But it's only good in countries where Apple has one of their stores or where there are AASPs. If there isn't at least one AASP in Kenya then it's a no go.

To find out exactly what your options are, go here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Enter a serial number for an AppleCare covered product, then select the country.

There's an option for "Show Complete Country List" in the popup list. I entered the SN for my 11.6-inch MBA which is under AppleCare until 2013, and selected Kenya as the country and Apple said they had no service options there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Did you try resetting the PRAM and resetting the SMC?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

kare posted:

I've used MarcoPolo (http://www.symonds.id.au/marcopolo/) a little bit a couple years ago, but there's now a deprecation notice on the page, just see if it works for what you're trying to do

Nah. Don't do that. It hasn't been updated in ages and it'll be lovely with OS X Lion. Even the author says he doesn't have the time to update it.

You want ControlPlane. It's a fork of MarcoPolo, except that it's being actively updated and works with Snow Leopard and Lion.

Download the latest version (updated last week, v1.0.2) here.

Still has a few kinks to work out but works great on my MacBookAir with Snowy and a 2009 MacBook with Lion.

Edit: Even as it is, I'd put it in into the OP if possible.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 19, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I just use the built-in viewer in Finder; go inside the folder, Command-A to select all, hit the spacebar, then hit the four-pane window icon in the following window to switch to a gallery view.

Should work in Lion and Snow Leopard, but I like the old pageup/pagedown arrows in Snow Leopard better, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

Not sure if this is the place or not, but I applied to the Genius position and will be interviewed later today. Any advice?

Be outgoing and friendly, professional (be punctual), have a good idea of where you want to be in 10 years, and don't even come close to mentioning or making fun of Steve.

Edit: also don't mention anything that could cause a possible conflict, like working at another job while you're working for the Fruit Stand. Also, don't call it the Fruit Stand. :)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 6, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

I've set up a new Mini to my plasma tv as an HTPC and all is great but occasionally I will turn off the tv while the mini is still running and later when I come back and turn everything back on, the mouse cursor will disappear. It still functions as I can scroll around with my trackpad and activate links, etc but the pointer itself is invisible. The only thing that seems to cure this is rebooting my mini; turning the trackpad on and off doesn't help.

How can I cure this? Running the latest version of Lion.

he;lp

I dunno, maybe Mousepose? It's supposed to be Lion compatible, $17 shareware but free to try for 5 days.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's already there under Safari extensions. I guess I'll add it to the FAQ (no one will read it anyway).

That's the spirit! :)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Seems like Growl is still free for 10.6.x and below, the App Store version REQUIRES Lion. Just tried to buy Growl from the App Store on a Snowy machine and it said:

"Growl can't be installed on BadgersYOSPOSMac because Mac OS X version 10.7 or later is required."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also not so bad when shutting down my 11.6 inch MBA 2010 running 10.7.1 because of SSD performance. I never wait more than 10 secs. or so before I can close my lid. Also I spergily quit my apps before shutdown.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Grayham posted:

From what I gather, if Apple were to implement ZFS into the next version of OS X, Oracle could decide to start charging whatever licensing fees they want. Right?

They might not charge Apple all that much, as Larry Ellison was best buds with Steve; now that he's dead he might let ZFS be licensed for a song.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Hey, iTunes 10.5 is out! :siren:

Get it here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

AppleInsider says:

AppleInsider posted:

Apple on Tuesday released iTunes 10.5 for both Mac and PC, bringing with it support for wirelessly syncing with iOS 5 devices, as well as the new iTunes Match service.

iTunes 10.5 is now available as a direct download from Apple. The company noted in the release notes that iTunes 10.5 no longer requires or includes QuickTime.

The full list of features, according to Apple, includes:

iTunes in the Cloud. iTunes now stores your music and TV purchases in iCloud and makes them available on your devices anywhere, any time, at no additional cost.

Automatic Downloads. Purchase music from any device or computer and automatically download a copy to your PC and iOS devices.

Download Previous Purchases. Download your past music, TV, app, and book purchases again, at no additional cost. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer on the iTunes Store.

Sync with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5.

Wi-Fi Syncing. Automatically sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes any time they're both on the same Wi-Fi network.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 11, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Got the Lion Recovery Update for my mid-2009 MacBook. It's a hat trick!

Also got iPhoto 9.2 and Security Update 2011-006.

And a 472 MB version of 10.7.2

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 12, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

echobucket posted:

While we are posting links, does anyone have a link directly to the iPhoto 9.2 update?

http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1462/en_US/iPhoto9.2Update.dmg

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I have Lion, but I don't have 1Password and I don't hear anything (other than a very faint creak, it's from 2009) when I wake my Macbook from sleep, FWIW.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also you could get Sun VirtualBox instead of VMWare, it's a lot cheaper (free!) and it does a lot of what VMWare does.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Get this hub if you want a top quality hub instead of that generic noname crap. It's as good as the one I used to recommend from Monoprice.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just in case you didn't know, booting in verbose mode is achieved by holding down Command-v during boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Try Movist as well, I've not run into many things it won't play..