Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

~Coxy posted:

As for AirDrop, you can turn it on for all machines on the network with a prefs write that I'm sure someone will post.

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

Relaunch the Finder after entering this in Terminal. Has to be a Lion machine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not sure I like having to now pay for Hardware Growler AND Growl on the MAS (HG used to come free with 1.2.2), guess free updates will lessen the pain somewhat.

If SAFT ever shows up on the App Store, which would be like Dillinger showing up at the opening of a Wells Fargo, I'd be one of the first people to give him a no stars review. Never trust somebody who has the stones to sell his stuff off a dnsalias site.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 28, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Apple just released Safari v.5.1.2 via Software Update. No tech support note yet. :siren:

Apple posted:

This update contains various improvements, including fixes that:

• Improve stability

• Address issues that could cause hangs and excessive memory usage

• Address issues that could cause webpages to flash white

• Allow PDFs to be displayed within web content

Shows up as an update in Snow Leopard and Lion.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Safari 5.1.2 seems more stable; animated GIFs still suck CPU cycles.

Definitely plays nicer with others, running Einstein@Home in the background it doesn't get steppy like an Android scroll..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple just released Keynote 5.1.1.

Apple posted:

This update addresses issues when working with large Keynote presentations on OS X Lion. It also includes improvements in stability and accessibility for Keynote.

This update is recommended for users of Keynote 5.1. For detailed information on this update and individual application changes, please visit this site: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5026

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What can you actually buy today that's still PowerPC only? Maybe some educational stuff, but what else?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

This is normal. The power management isn't as smart in Windows. If you have a 15 or 17-inch, the dedicated GPU will be forced on in Windows at all times as well (thanks for that one Apple.)

:sigh: Once again: "Why should Apple provide the same level of support to a competing OS as its own?"

Also there's probably other poo poo like Microsoft not providing access to the power management APIs or it being done in a different manner than Apples. Apple would probably shoot down anyone trying to provide this level of functionality to boot.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There are people who swear the delta update (they don't call it that any more, they just call it the 'client' update) works just fine and there's another group who will force quit the gently caress out of Software Update and only install combo updates. I am in that latter group.

Well, combo updates for system revisions only. I'm cool with incremental EFI / security / Java updates..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yes, Mail was v5.1 before.

Every point release usually updates Apple's standard apps as well.

Warning: the 10.7.3 combo update is 1.2 GB in size and Apple's servers are no doubt getting hammered at the moment.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 2, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

From what I've seen, people only get problems when they've installed some top-heavy applications that add kernel extensions written retardedly, or have done something to modify Apple's defaults, like set maxfiles to some ridiculous number just so they can run their media server properly or move the swapfile location off the boot volume (which I have done for pre-Lion systems).

Even then, in my experience, both updaters try to gingerly work around your retarded plist edits and things tend to work out anyway (your.cfg file gets renamed to .bak or .001 and the installer pops in an unadulterated plist.)

Regular users running the non-combo updater shouldn't be seeing mushroom clouds erupting from their CD slots, or the USB ports on the Airs.

Edit: I also usually re-clear out all system and extension caches as well after a point upgrade with Cocktail or TinkerTool System, and I've never gotten the Ghostbusters symbol without the ghost in this fashion.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 2, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

No Safari updates for SL? :black101:

Only the general security update which does cover a LOT of elements, although Webkit isn't even mentioned as getting patched in any way.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Apparently the Snow Leopard update hosed with Rosetta pretty bad:

Run Software Update on a machine you already put Security Update 2011-01 on and you'll see another 202 MB download entitled Security Update 2011-01 v.1.1 that supposedly undoes the damage the first one did.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hey goons, remember Movist? The app everybody used to recommend to play non-native video files?

The programmer, who apparently is Korean, mysteriously stopped updating his app so that it remains at v.0.6.8 on the google code site mentioned above. Well, I found out why.. he's now selling Movist as an app on the Mac App Store for $4.99. :smith:

However, the good news is at least he listens to complaints on the iTunes Store.. he/she's telling people not to get v.1.1.1 and wait for 1.1.2 when it gets approved.

Movist guy posted:

PLEASE, DON'T UPDATE THIS 1.1.1 VERSION.
Some critical problems are found in this version. Fixed version 1.1.2 is now waiting for review.
Please, wait for next update.
I'm really sorry.

• Fixed crash in loading SSA/rear end(.rear end/.ssa) subtitle.
• Fixed SubRip(.srt) parsing error.
• "Rotate Subtitles" menu added.
• Upper/lower margins of subtitle are now applied to screen boundary.

• Fixed not-working shortcuts.
• Fixed topmost status bug.
• Fixed Window edge-resize bug.
• Resume enhanced: every status now restored - decoder, subtitle encoding, active tracks, play speed, repeat range, aspect ratio, screen filling, rotate & flip, deinterlace, audio sync., subtitle size & sync., letter-box height, filters.
• "Restore Last Window" option added.
• Apple Remote behavior changed: MENU toggles full-screen, MENU-HOLD toggles navigation.
• Command-Delete move selected items to trash in playlist.
• Shortcut search & collision check added.
• "Send Bug Report" menu added.

• Fixed 10 bit video broken colors.
• "Open .mov file with QuickTime" option added.
• FFmpeg 0.10 applied (0.8.9 for 32 bit).

• and more bugs fixed & enhancements.

I can't believe he/she didn't have the option to 'Open .mov file with QuickTime' in the first place on the MAS version. Guess once 1.1.2 goes up I'll be downloading it.

Apologies if everyone knew about this already.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 9, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I just use MplayerX for everything.

The App Store version (free) or the one on mplayerx.org? Ostensibly they're the same thing..

There's also Mplayer OS X Extended but it hasn't been updated in a year..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you had only found the OS X 10.5.6 Retail DVD, you wouldn't have to do any of that.

FYI, if you burn a backup image of that disk you have to DVD, you'd need a dual layer (8.5 GB) blank DVD to burn to. Dual PPC / Intel libraries take up a lot of space.

Also, that MDD G4 will run some stuff a lot faster than Tiger would because Leopard was written to take as much advantage of multiple cores as possible.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I believe under Sarbanes-Oxley, they can't give it away.. SOX laws prohibit a publicly traded company from giving away (or just letting you have it for free) an unadvertised new feature on a product you already paid for.

Apple could do it, but would be forced to go through a special kind of accounting hell at the end of the fiscal year to justify it.

So most likely $29-49 it is. (With all the work and man hours going into it I don't think it'll be just $29.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That $99 could be better spent towards an SSD if you don't have one already.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Using my Google-fu I found this Universal build of gVim, dunno if it actually works though.

Maybe you ran one of those PPC code trimming thingies because you wanted more space on your hard drive or something.

And why not install Rosetta, are you afraid that it'll slow down your machine by that critical .000002%?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 17, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

From the who the eff cares department:

Intuit finally released Quicken 2007 for Lion the other day.

Wow, I'm betting everyone is just going to drop Mint or whatever to go back to a 5 year old accounting program.

Edit: er, never mind, it appears that people WANTED the old version of Quicken updated for Lion because transaction entry is quicker/easier, Quicken 2007 had better / more flexible report generation, and overall is free of the new feature dickery later versions were stuffed full of, including the current Quicken Essentials for Mac.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 9, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Those idiots at Intuit are still late to the party.

MobileMe dies in two months, Intuit dudes!

Unless there's some MobileMe emulation that iCloud does that I don't know about.

Why is Bill Campbell still on Apple's Board of Directors?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 9, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anjow posted:

I've got a 2008 Macbook into which I've installed a blank, HFS+ formatted SSD. I've inserted the Lion CD, held alt whilst I turned it on, it showed the disc, I clicked the up arrow to load it or whatever, but it keeps showing the apple logo, then a folder with a ? on it. What does this mean? Is the disc not detected?

How did you get the Lion CD? Did you create it from the disc image? Did you use GUID partition format on the SSD? Folder icon says EFI can't find a bootable device or partition.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

While they are good quality, fast, and small, I only recommend them for light use. Every $89 Brother printer I've given to special snowflakes that need their own printer always craps out, and then I replace it with a $250 HP printer and never hear from them again. Well, except when they need the toner changed. Of course, these are people in an office environment who are printing > 500 pages a week.

I used to recommend the HP LaserJet 1012, which used to go for $180-200 new. Apparently it's been replaced with the HP LaserJet 1102w, which is a wireless version and has a street price of $160 or so. $99 and below if you go for refurbished. Probably worth it as I have noticed the quality of parts go down with evolving models, esp. the 1102.

Seems HP got wise to people buying low end printers, and they've reduced the toner in the carts. HP 1012-1015 carts got 2,000 pages, the new 1102 carts only have capacity for 1,600.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anyone remember how to revert an OS X install back to its original userless state without a reinstall?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shampy posted:

I'm setting up a canon printer at this new office I'm working at. Before the girl had to select "special features", input her password and then she'd be able to print. I'm not getting that option anymore in Microsoft Word so when I go to print it's not asking me for the password which is not letting the job go through. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Every other application gives me the option for "special features", letting me put in the password and then actually printing.

Probably needs special drivers that might have been nerfed by Apple's printer updates. Check Canon's website for newest drivers for your particular printer and reinstall. If it's a Fiery driven printer you need to call the company that installed that printer or check EFI's site.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Adobe recently released PhotoShop CS6 beta, right?

The system requirements say you must be running a minimum of 10.6.8, have at least 1 GB RAM, and here's the stickler- you must have a minimum of 512MB VRAM.

So basically Adobe just gave both middle fingers up to all Mac Mini, MacBook, MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and 21.5 inch Late 2011 iMac users. Because, guess what.. none of these can ever be upgraded to more what they currently have, which is either 256 / 384 MB of non-dedicated VRAM to boot.

Oh, sure, they have the option to just stick with Creative Suite 5.x which only needs 256 MB VRAM, but I can see a lot of Mac laptop owners getting PO'ed about Adobe dropping support in their latest and greatest software for their particular machine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Well, what happens right now when you try to launch it on a Mac with sub-minimum specs? Will it refuse to launch, does it just give a warning, or what?

Running it on a mid 2009 MacBook with 8 GB of RAM, SSD, 10.7.3. And it's got only an nVidia 9400M w/256MB. No warnings, but sometimes crashes mysteriously without provocation, sometimes while using the context-aware effects, sometimes just in a simple Gaussian blur, but I'm not an artist that could push the limits of PS.

I'm seeing it as an excuse to deny support to anyone who didn't spend big bucks on their laptop/desktop, because as soon as you admit you don't have 512MB of VRAM they'll go :colbert: on you and blame your problems on not meeting minimum system requirements.

Edit: and where's that super de duper blur reversal routine they showed off at PhotoShop World? I know they semi faked it but why show off such a major feature in front of thousands of professional artists yet not loving include it on a late beta?!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 27, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nobody knows what'll happen in the release, though. Knowing Adobe, they'll probably spark a lot of outrage.

Plus you've probably heard all the permutations of the "..but that was the BETA version" jokes..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also, don't forget iPhoto Buddy, lets you manage multiple libraries for free!

http://www.iphotobuddy.com/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In my experience, Disk Utility is remarkably conservative in its SMART reporting, it usually doesn't report SMART status as failing until you hear the hard drive grinding, Finder windows from the device being slow to update, and molten metal is seeping out of the corner of your Mac laptop. In other words, it usually doesn't report failing status until it's pretty much too late.

You might want to try SMART Utility, its better at showing your more detail about your SMART status; it's especially a point of order to look at bad sectors and pending bad sectors; SMART Utility can detect if either reading increases between launches, if either quantity does it's a good time to look for a replacement drive. Free trial download, works for 30 days..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 28, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Security updates for Java just dropped. Snow Leopard and Lion get updates, get it through Software Update.

The Lion one is called "Java for OS X 2012-001" and comes in at 66.6 MB, the SL one is called "Java Update for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 7" and comes in at 79 MB.

Java SE 6 gets updated from 1.6.0_29 to 1.6.0_31.

Also see:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5045

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5055

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Leopard has great support for any multi CPU PPC. I've got it on both a souped G4/533 upgraded with dual 1.33 GHz G4s and a stock MDD 1.25 GHz G4, still handles Quark and PhotoShop for a couple of people in an impoverished studio.

But yeah, for single processor machines, Tiger is the way to go.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I'm not too familiar with OS9 anymore, was it one of those things where my machine might be too new to install from a certain system disc? I imagine 9.2.1 is up to date on most stuff, but I've got a dual 1.42 MDD G4 so I just want to make sure.

If your machine has a Firewire 800 port, then you got beat because that's the first G4 tower that shipped with Mac OS X only. The firmware's had OS 9 bootability removed.

I remember this because one of the places I was working at the time placed an order for a bunch of these then had to return them, because Quark hadn't been modded to work well under OS X as of that time, so it was useless to the designers.

And incidentally, Apple actually re-released the previous MDD G4 model shortly after the above model was released, because people still wanted OS 9 machines. They even nerfed these machines down to a single processor.

Edit: MDD machines came with their own special builds of OS 9 v9.2.2 as well, so you'd have to find copies of those discs; oh how I remember having to prepare dual boot (X/9) machines.. maybe I'll look and see if I have any.

Edit 2: As Low End Mac has mentioned, a good rule of thumb to remember is that if a Mac has Firewire 800, it generally won't boot with OS 9.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 8, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Cyne posted:

Depends on how recent a model it is. Leopard runs with little appreciable difference from Tiger on my 1.5 GHz 12-inch PowerBook, but for a machine as old as his, yeah, it is probably better to stick with Tiger.

Yes, because your PowerBook 12-inch has a Core Image compatible video chip; it offloads much of the graphics processing onto the GPU so your CPU is free to do other stuff. The machine mentioned in the original message does not have a Core Image GPU and only a single processor, so it's better off under Tiger.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Can a single machine use multiple Time Machine destinations?

There's kind of a cheat to do it by using an AppleScript that switches in different destinations based on a 2007 prefpane called "Do Something When."

Says it works in 10.6, but no idea if it works in Lyon.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Try switching cables, or get a good router.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

chimz posted:

1. Yes.
2. No. It will eventually take up all of the drive space on the partition it uses with old copies of things, but it'll take you a while to get there.

And Time Machine will warn you when space is getting low; one checkbox will let TM delete old backups if necessary to continue backups.

Time Machine shoves everything into that folder Backups.dbase folder or whatever so you can shove other stuff onto the drive at will, so long as there is free space.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

10.7.4 working on a MacPro 2009 + 2008, MBP Early 2008, MBA Late 2010, MB 2007+2009, MacMini Mid 2011 with no issues. Used the combo.

Funny thing, Safari on a 10.6.8, v.5.1.7, still has a discrete menu choice and a separate Downloads window. Must be a frameworks thang.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In other updater news, Apple's Leopard Security Update 2012-003 will only run on Intel Macs. Trying to run it on a PPC gives the 'will not run on this computer' error.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Zapped the PRAM, reset the SMC, had a Fruit Stand check your AC adapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's not free, though, $6.99 from the App Store.. but it appears to be a good solution.