Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

kefkafloyd posted:

This won’t help today but Sonoma’s also supposed to have more controls for system text size without needing to change your whole-OS scaling factor.

Eh, some additional control..

You also get to pick default size for hover text and some others..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In the latest Sonoma beta, Apple has thoughtfully lifted some of its gorgeous AppleTV screensavers and shoved them into macOS. Hawaii is pretty nice..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

However, in what seems to be a faux pas that Hair Force One should be angry about, Ventura 13.5 brings a lot of bug / security fixes..

buuuut the Location Services prefpane no longer gives you access to what apps can have / can't have LS access. The +/- controls to toggle app by app are no longer there.

You can only toggle LS for certain System Services..

This means all apps potentially have unfettered access to your location whether you want it or not and there's no way to disallow it..

Hopefully Ventura 13.5.1 will fix this, unless this turns out to be another facet in Apple's clandestine plan to make the guys who create their Privacy ads look like poo poo.

(The current latest Seed 2 of the Sonoma Beta 4 doesn't have this omission, so perhaps it's just an innocent mistake.)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 1, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Meanwhile, Apple has quietly released macOS Ventura 13.5.1, which fixes the bug in 13.5 where the Location Services menu in System Settings lost the list of applications that could access Location Services.

Sonoma beta 6 might be coming within the next few days. Maybe.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

macOS Sonoma developer beta 6 is out, along with Monterey 12.7.

Also, macOS Ventura 13.6 is imminent, as Apple released 13.6 as a Release Candidate.

Looks like Apple is getting everything going full steam ahead OS wise as they prepare to release the M3 hounds.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The strangest thing is that the Retina 2019 iMac 27-inch has no T2 chip, yet is Sonoma compatible.

Maybe just a software fudge on this machine to simulate the Secure Enclave?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you mean macOS Sonoma, it's currently at beta 7 and it seems solid to me, with a few caveats but they're minor and involve more developers getting up to speed to update their apps rather than the system being willfully idiotic for no reason.

I can't speak for Sonoma on Apple Silicon as I am a poor and nobody's tossed any M1s in any waste bins or on the streets yet

Some observations:

- Safari 17 appears to have been heavily tweaked to provide faster rendering. Don't know if it's been made faster more out of using pure Swift, or if Hair Force One cracked the whip on the coders. It is measurably twice as fast on a 16 GB 2020 laptop than it is on an 8 GB 2018 laptop.

It looks like either Apple finally figured out how to use the sample GPU code that they got from Intel to work in macOS the way it was originally intended to work on Windows, or the other generalized optimizations are paying off, as I notice that watching sporting events seems much crisper in S17 than on Ventura/S16. 60 fps video seems to have a better screen refresh rate, more than it did before, closer to the smoothness you'd get watching on a good LCD TV. Or maybe they just decided to hand off video processing to the T2? I dunno.

It always irked me that I can take any 13-inch Dell, clone, Lenovo, Sony, what have you bargain basement Intel laptop running with a certain CPU/ iGPU and equivalent Windows 10/11 and watch a live video play smoother than a $2000 Apple laptop running Monterey/Ventura with the same exact CPU/iGPU.

I'd look at Intel's website and actually see timely, updated drivers for their integrated CPUs (even for older ones no longer in production) that patch bugs, add optimized VP9 playback, etc. Maybe Apple, as they always seem to do on the last revision of a machine in production, finally decided to fix that one bug or patch that one internal routine that was holding the GPU rendering back, or finally decided to port over the enhanced/updated Intel iGPU drivers to Mac format.

The only caveat is that on the 8 GB machine, it seems having less RAM means that after a certain allotted time, some buffer gets filled up and the stuttering comes back, If only for a moment, while it doesn't do the same on the 16 GB machine.. if I can get a hold of a 16 GB 2018 machine, I'll be able to check for sure.

I only have access to 13-inch Intels, which only used integrated GPUs, either the horrible Intel UH630 GPU, or the somewhat less horrible Iris Plus 645.. it might be a different story on the 15/16 inch Intel rMBPs which had discrete AMD GPUs.

- Stage Manager is still a triggering mess.

- Hair Force One likely told the programming team for the new Sonoma-specific screensavers they couldn't go home until they got them right, and it shows. They haven't caused any glitching with apps (so far) and when the flyover stops, your desktop stays at the point in the flyover where you woke up your machine. In fact, when you wake up the machine, it slowly comes to a halt and doesn't abruptly blink back to the frame you had when the screensaver started. Kinda neat.

- System Settings still sucks moose balls.

- Sonoma seems to tax the hell out of whatever Intel chip it uses, I could swear both the 2018 and 2020 are running much hotter than they did with Big Sur / Monterey. Oh well, winter is coming.

- Printing seems half-baked. Stuff I send to HP printers sometimes either just doesn't print, or sometimes has garbage embedded in specific regions. Switching to AirPrint doesn't help. Seems to happen most to PDFs with non-English typesets, where before it worked in BS/Monterey.. to me it looks like they just brought over the same quirky printing system from Ventura and called it a day.

- IMHO, if you have an 8 GB machine, forget about Sonoma and wait for the Linux boffins to finish support for post-2015 Macs as it seems they still are working on TouchBar and keyboard drivers.

- The lone feature of the Touch Bar, literally the only thing I ever use it for, still works under Sonoma / S17.. and that's to skip / FF through unskippable YouTube ads like nobody's business.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 4, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

DashingGentleman posted:

Vinegar extension for Safari. I have not seen a YouTube ad in a year. Add SponsorBlock for a truly transcendent experience.

Thanks for this, however it does stomp all over other players such as the ones on Amazon Prime video, Max, Fubo in a way that forces me to close the window in order to go back a page.

Not a huge problem as I just disable the extension when I'm not on YT.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

macOS Ventura 13.5.2 is now available through Software Update.

Fixes a serious bug in the ImageIO routine that allows exploits just by loading a specially crafted picture.

No word on updates for the same issue on Big Sur / Monterey yet.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, with Apple, 'not invented here' also stands for 'half-hearted support here.'

See also: SMB (which manages to get mangled with every new OS release) and the USB stack from El Capitan to oh, Mojave.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Well, it's official.

macOS Sonoma will be officially released September 26th, two Tuesdays from now.

Sonoma just got upgraded to Release Candidate, build 23A339.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

SourKraut posted:

How is it looking in terms of day 1 release/install? Usually I try to wait until at least the .1 release before upgrading, but I’m not a big fan of Ventura, though I’m assuming it doesn’t undo any of the UI changes that Ventura implemented.

Welp, on both a 2018 and last-gen 2020 Intel rMBP it's been fairly solid since I'd say Developer Beta 3. Nope, most UI is nearly same as Ventura, except System Settings is still byzantine and oddly horrible, its like Hair Force One wiped a printout of the Apple Human Interface Guidelines on his butt while supervising the UI team.

Only hiccups I've had are with some older OpenGL games glitching, and Safari video playback on an 8 GB machine was stuttery, to me it feels Apple did some code tightening in RC because the same videos that were stuttering before don't now.

Also, printing was crapped out but I haven't been able to test RC with a few laser printers yet.

In some of the previous betas I saw TB written to the SSD hit like 6-7 TB but they got it in control in beta 7.

If they just decided to distribute RC as 14.0 I would not find that objectionable.

I believe most of the foundational Apple apps have been totally or partially rewritten in Swift which accounts for how 'crisp' the new OS feels. I wouldn't go so far as to call it the Snow Leopard of modern macOS, and as I stated before I haven't tested it on any Apple Silicon, but it would be an appropriate swan song for the Intel Macs (that it supports.)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 13, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The full RC installer isn't available yet on Apple's servers..

You can only use Software Update from a previous beta at the moment.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nothing stopping you from downloading beta 7 and running the upgrade, is there?

Anyway, Mullvad VPN is reporting that Sonoma betas and RC breaks their VPN app:

https://mullvad.net/en/blog/2023/9/13/bug-in-macos-14-sonoma-prevents-our-app-from-working/

They also go on to say that Apple's packet filter is buggy as hell at the moment.

So I dunno, maybe you wanna hold off until Apple puts Sonoma back in the oven to cook a bit more..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/ibrdik/status/1700265050987204699

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.threads.net/@hideo_kojima/post/CxZ5l3pKUxH

Hideo Kojima announces that Death Stranding: Director's Cut will only run on M1 Macs and up, the nice way of saying ditch beeyotch your Intel Macs

Also will run on iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max, indicating to me that it'll take advantage of the hardware assisted raytracing..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple released macOS Ventura v.13.6 and Monterey v.12.7.

As usual, only vague 'security fixes' mentioned in descriptions.

Sonoma got another Release Candidate, unofficially named RC2, build 23A344.

Looks like Big Sur is finalized / dead now, as it hasn't gotten any updates this time around.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 21, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Is it the full Sonoma I am seeing in the updater right now? No longer says beta or preview.

What OS is currently installed?

You might be seeing RC2 which is build 23A344, which so far hasn't been found to have any show stopping bugs (so far) and may wind up being the final 14.0 that Apple ships.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 24, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Somewhat related, I went to update homebrew on an older Big Sur mac, and brew gave me the following bitching:

code:

Warning: You are using macOS 11.
We (and Apple) do not provide support for this old version.
It is expected behaviour that some formulae will fail to build in this old version.
It is expected behaviour that Homebrew will be buggy and slow.
Do not create any issues about this on Homebrew's GitHub repositories.
Do not create any issues even if you think this message is unrelated.
Any opened issues will be immediately closed without response.
Do not ask for help from Homebrew or its maintainers on social media.
You may ask for help in Homebrew's discussions but are unlikely to receive a response.
Try to figure out the problem yourself and submit a fix as a pull request.
We will review it but may or may not accept it.

I get a similar bitching when I run brew upgrade on a Sonoma mac, but no showstoppers yet.

Worst that happens that the formula only installs as a Ventura build, some formulae are available in Sonoma format.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

TACD posted:

Sonoma doesn't get the new ringtones and alert sounds from iOS 17, so I still can't have the same message tones on both devices :sigh:

Maybe just a waiting game; some MRF posters are claiming the sounds are physically there, actually in a hidden directory in Sonoma.. but actual implementation hasn't begun, likely one of those 'we are still working on a promised feature' feature.

Meanwhile, Apple released Safari 17 for Ventura and Monterey, available in software update. Big Sur users are left out in the Internet cold, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Gives me hope for the M3 to inherit the A17 hardware RT, something tells me there are undocumented RT APIs in Ventura / Sonoma that exist since the M2 was supposed to get the RT hw but it was pulled at the last minute because the hw at the time was pulling too much power.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

To those folks who'd be interested, OpenCore Legacy Patcher v.1.0.0 has been released..

OCLP 1.0.0 will allow many older Macs to run with Sonoma 14.0, including many of the just-cut-off 2016 and 2017 Macs.

The only big caveat with OCLP 1.0.0 is that there is no T1 support, which means stuff that needs the cryptographic framework like Touch ID, Apple Pay, and Apple ID login won't work.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 2, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just upgraded a TrashCan from Monterey up to Sonoma, runs great but need to address the desktop, it's all white for some reason.. YouTube previews not showing in Safari..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, looks like I did it the wrong way which was to enable OCLP boot then reboot and run the in-place updater.. needed to create a USB install stick, patch it with OCLP and boot / run the Sonoma installer off the stick

Evidently OCLP needs to slipstream some patches into various system resources on the install image..

Some people say they get away with the updater but it doesn't work for me..

Edit: yup that did the trick, though I just did an install over the borked previous Sonoma. Everything (so far) works including snazzy desktop / wallpaper, though I have yet to test DRM'ed video..

the acid test will be WiFi and Internet Sharing which I need to work for some other outdated equipment..

BTW if anyone is looking for TrashCans be wary if you find one with a D300; Apple shipped a lot of units with defective D300s, they did have a repair extension devoted to that but I doubt they got all of them.. some people just shrugged it off if they weren't doing anything graphic intensive

I found if I ran something like GLviewer I could get artifacts pretty easily after about 10-15 minutes of testing something intensive like Boxing King or whatever..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 3, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Ty for your service. I will wait with mine. Did you see my post about trashcan ram? I assume yours is already maxed.

Well, I am a poor so unless the RAM price drops to ridiculous levels I'll stick to the 16 GB I found already installed as it lay in the dumpster

Definitely wait if you're doing mission critical stuff cause 14.1 beta does NOT work well with OCLP

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

OCLP 1.0.1 has been out for a while, been testing on a trash can and a mini 2012, seems to work ok with a few niggling issues

Sonoma feels decent on the trash can, the screensavers leverage a lot of the screen blitting oomph of the D300/500/700s

BTW, Apple has this system utility that works on any Mac that can run at least Ventura / Sonoma that can revive / restore a T2 / Apple Silicoid machine.. works well to wipe the machine clean to factory settings.

Revive just reflashes the system firmware and / or iBridge firmware; restore reflashes all the firmware plus wipes the internal SSD and copies a ready-to-boot OS image to it.

Basically you do a revive if you want to preserve user data, restore is when you wanna the scorched earth route of burning everything away, like after a malware incursion or you want to give the Mac to someone without giving up the data.

You do have to be able to boot into DFU mode to use it but it seems foolproof past that.

The utility will download an bootable OS image OTA directly to the Mac being serviced via a USB-C cable; strange that in this instance they specifically disallow using a TB3 cable.

But what's nice is that you can use an Intel 2018 Mini to reflash an Apple Silicoid, they even allow the use of a USB-A to USB-C cable to do the download.

Once the image is downloaded and verified by the utility, you can reboot the Mac and it'll go straight to the multi language OS greeting, no waiting around or double booting for the system to finish installing itself; it's been loaded with a prebuilt image. Presumably they use a similar process to load OSes onto laptops at the factory.

That OS will be the latest supported OS for that model of Mac; Ventura if it's 2020 or older, Sonoma if it's newer.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 12, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

actionjackson posted:

is there a way to get rid of this stupid gray rectangle I get around the screen when I click on my desktop?

In Ventura:

System Settings > Desktop and Dock > Shortcuts > scroll down to Show Desktop and set both options to "-"

In Sonoma:

System Settings > Desktop & Dock > scroll down to Desktop & Stage Manager > click wallpaper to reveal desktop > Only in Stage Manager (not Always which is the annoying default)

System Settings in Sonoma still a horror show of where to move options to where no one would ever guess, at least the search function makes up a little bit for it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

:words: (fascinating bare metal architectural stuff, thanks for this info!)

Stage 0 can't deal with iniitalizing things as complex as a Thunderbolt cable with active signal conditioning chips in the cable heads. It needs a dumb USB cable that's just plain wires.

This is also why, when you put a Mac in DFU mode, there's no UI to speak of. Gone are the days of the floating Firewire logo on a Mac in Target Disk Mode. Initializing things as complex as displays just isn't something Apple's stage 0 ROM can do.

Yeah, when you put your Mac in DFU mode it's just a black screen and you have to rely on the service app running on the host Mac you connected your DFU Mac to to display a change in the connection status.

Apple also takes great pains to tell you to use a plain USB-C to USB-C when you do this, so yeah. I went looking for a good fast USB-C cable like the ones advertising 40 Gb connections but then I remembered that Apple's current TB3/USB-C setup won't let you do anything better than USB 3.1 Gen 2 / 10 Gb speeds. Would be nice if they fixed that in the M3..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

So, Apple puts their DFU firmware in the only incorruptible storage on the platform: the stage 0 boot ROM. This is a mask ROM baked into the SoC itself; it can't be altered without physically damaging the SoC.

So where is the stage 0 boot ROM on an Intel Mac? Just wondering.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ Is this AlDente Free or Pro? Maybe reboot, reset the SMC, try it again?

Welp, Apple has put the RC stamp on the latest build (build 23B73) of Sonoma 14.1, it feels pretty solid at least after a few hours of testing.

Maybe in a week or two they'll officially release it as the final 14.1 unless they find some show stoppers..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 18, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, some video file playback seems to be busted in Sonoma..

MPEG-1 files: QT Player displays no video, audio sounds like an acoustic modem connection

h.265 files: QT Player says its not compatible with this player

MPEG-2 and h.264 files are fine however.

VLC, IINA work fine

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Good news, Open Core Legacy Patcher has released version v.1.1.0 that will give supported machines the ability to run Sonoma 14.1.

Some of the best features:

quote:

T1 Security Chip support for macOS Sonoma!

Restores Touch ID Authentication

Applicable for 2016 and 2017 TouchBar MacBook Pros

MacBookPro13,2, MacBookPro13,3, MacBookPro14,2, MacBookPro14,3

Streamlined OpenCore vaulting for additional tamper protections by Jazzzny

Improvements for macOS 14.1:

Resolved PCIe FaceTime camera support

Resolved USB 1.1 support

The rMBPs that got cut off get their Touch ID restored!

The USB 1.1 support is a biggie as with previous versions you had to hook up a USB 2.0+ hub and external keyboard, now this is no longer required and the built-in keyboard will work again on relevant models..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

dc3k posted:

opencore legacy patcher is the bees knees. my mid-2014 macbook pro, which apple decided was no longer worth updating as of macos 11, is happily running macos 14 and is completely usable aside from the 1.5 hour battery life. it actually runs more smoothly in sonoma than it did in catalina. suck it tim

I have to say that OCLP v.1.1.0, after some initial hiccups, in my opinion, makes Ventura / Sonoma more responsive than v.1.0.1 did.

I've got a Mac Pro 5,1 running Ventura at a pleasant clip and don't think it'll be an issue to take it to Sonoma; Safari feels more responsive too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There's also a slim chance Apple will release Sonoma 14.1, Ventura 13.6.1, and Monterey 12.7.1 today, especially since there's an Apple Event for October 30!

https://twitter.com/ClassicII_MrMac/status/1716849370102960583

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 24, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Maybe they'll get Joe Flaherty out of retirement so he can do his Count Floyd bit and go "Ooooo, scary"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Sonoma 14.1, Ventura 13.6.1, Monterey 12.7.1 have dropped :siren:

The release build is exactly one number higher than the RC on Sonoma so it's worth it to install.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Corb3t posted:

Accountants are so funny. Shocked he hasn't been forced into using cloud-based Accounting software by now - I worked on accounting software years ago and all of our solutions were SaaS-based cloud apps so accounting firms can access their client's files on any device from anywhere with no need to backup any data.

We definitely had some stragglers who refused to move off our older archaic platforms, though.

Had a friend who worked for several clients who did nothing but QuickBooks, they would pull poo poo like email her from their timeshare in Antigua and say "What are you doing at 3 AM looking at the books"

Some of them were super paranoid and didn't have QuickBooks online, but having 24/7 access to that poo poo converted them.

Intuit made the choice for a lot of people when they discontinued their desktop version just this May, forcing everyone to use the online/cloud version or else.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Meanwhile, Apple just pushed out its second Release Candidate of macOS Sonoma v.14.2, which would indicate the final shipping version should be out annnnnyy day now..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Like anyone cares, Apple did a rare Monday software update release..

:siren: Apple has released new macOS updates :siren:

https://twitter.com/ClassicII_MrMac/status/1734276277362647074

For anybody who was doing testing with the beta, 14.2 RC2 (build 23C64) is exactly the same as the release build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Splinter posted:

Do you know how long it typically takes for Apple to release new installers after new updates are released?

Sometimes only hours, go look on

https://mrmacintosh.com

The 14.2 final installer is already available.