Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tippis posted:

Finally bit the bullet and updated to Sonoma since, in spite of early rumblings about issues with some core apps, most of them seemed to have been updated to work.

But oh dear… just when you thought it was safe to get back into the water. Tons of apps that fail to redraw their windows or specific elements properly; apps that lose their colouring the instant they lose focus after launch; apps being completely befuddled by the screen coordinate system and not knowing where their windows are (with the window snapping to a completely new position when moved, and with attached sub-windows and similar elements showing up completely detached from their main window); random slowdowns on draws for things that should be utterly trivial (and which still don't take a massive amount of cpu or any other resource).

Some light googling seems to suggest that Apple did s bunch of updating to the window drawing system and that a whole slew of odd behaviours can be traced back to this. None of it is mission-critical for me — maybe aside from not knowing the remaining mine count in minesweeper — but it gets… annoying. So I thought I'd ask the thread if this is a know thing, if the internet is right about the underlying cause, and/or if it's just one of those “wait it out and eventually apps will probably be updated” things, so I don't have to start finding unique solutions for every problem.

:eng99:

Over at the MRF forums they're lamenting this as well.. in fact, they report that an Adobe web page is specifically telling people not to upgrade to Sonoma 14.2 if you use Lightroom Classic..

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-classic-and-macos-sonoma.html

But one of the MRF users reports that this bug is quashed in Sonoma 14.3 beta 1.

So just wait until Apple pushes out Sonoma 14.3 final maybe?

I want to say that this same issue seems to exist in Ventura 13.6.3 since I'm seeing some reports about Windowserver crashes specific to that version.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I worry that at some point Apple will throw their hands up and decide that 'no one gives a poo poo about the GPU' and stop trying to stuff more GPU cores in each successive chip generation like a haughty chef trying to overstuff a raisin muffin