Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fankey posted:

Is there anything on my mac end of things that could be causing this issue? We've actually switched ISPs recently and I had this problem with both providers so I don't think it's on their end and I'm able to download large ISOs on my windows machine.
Other than checking the drive as mentioned above, does this particular file download fine on your Windows machine, or other large files on the Mac? Just wondering if maybe it's just something screwy on their end (or whichever content server you're getting connected to) like an incomplete file.

Space Racist posted:

Oof, hyped about Lion's release tomorrow but I'm going to hold off til the weekend and do a clean install. It wouldn't feel right to have a shiny new OS without wiping everything else clean. :unsmith:
I'll probably wait till new Mac minis come out to start clean again just cause I figure it'll be a pain on this machine. On the other hand I figure I have a lot of crap that I depend on that could break so I'm a bit too paranoid to upgrade in place too :ohdear:.

Guess I can try it out on my old Core Solo upgraded to Core 2 Duo mini in the mean time :v:.

Nonsense posted:

Question concerning the multimedia links as I am new to Macs. What's the difference between mplayerx and mplayer OSX extended?
Different devs, different UI. MplayerX had a fancier UI last I checked, but it had some issues for me that Extended doesn't seem to have a problem with. They're both free so feel free to try them both out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Does Textual not work on everyone else's 10.7 install? I mean the free one, not the App Store one. Mine just bounces then quits :smith:

I don't really want to switch back to Colloquy but I might for now if the only one that work on 10.7 is the pay version.
The "free one"? :raise: I'm guessing you mean the one you get with a paid dev account, free was just a weird way of saying it.

Edit: well I read that completely wrong :doh:

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 20, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Can you use full disk encryption on any Mac or do you need one of the CPUs that have accelerated encryption support (or whatever it's called)?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I saw that in an earlier build and it seemed like such an obvious omission that thought that would just be a temporary thing :doh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ziir posted:

I'm really hoping these are all bugs that get fixed when Lion officially comes out.
Keep checking Software Update for quick fixes right after it's officially out :v:.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

So if I missed the option to ERASE AND INSTALL then is my only option to do an ERASE AND INSTALL of Snow Leopard, and then download Lion again and do it all over again?

Downloadable content isn't all it's cracked up to be. :(
Do you still have the restore partition? I think it has a download/reinstall option in it.

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm trying out the new Safari. Is there any way to select the entire URL in the URL bar with one click a la Chrome?

Also cannot wait for Safari to include an omnibar of some kind.

Otherwise it uses far less resources than Chrome. Weird.
If it's like the old Safari, click on the favicon (you can also drag it from there if you need to...drag it to something). I use Keywurl but I don't know if it'll be possible to get running in Lion, it hasn't been updated in a long rear end time :(. I know extensions have been given more power in 5.1 but I don't know if it can do an auto search thing or not.

DigitalChaos posted:

Well, with Safari you reopen the app and you can see it reloading all the pages from the net. That isn't something you would see from an app that has been frozen to disk. I am pretty sure Safari has always had this behavior. I know Firefox and Chrome certainly have the option to reload your last session. That is very different from the description of app suspend though.
Try making a new Text Edit doc and sticking junk in it, quit and start it again. It should open back up with everything there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

I'd imagine a lot of the CS suite would require major updates in order to fit App Store requirements.
"How can we make CS without our crapware all over the system!?"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Can I remove apps from Launchpad without deleting them? Launchpad has chosen to display a bunch of internal apps from Office, Creative Suite, .etc .etc that I could care less about.
Cram them into a folder and move that to another page that you'll never see? (like people do on iOS with some of the Apple apps)

Apple strictly adheres to some weird U.S. accounting laws passed a few years back, so it's possible they could charge you again later when they introduce some new version of Xcode.
They just changed the revenue recognition method for OS X so new Xcodes should be free for Lion...well they can still charge for it if they want, but it'd just be because they want the money vs having anything to do with annoying accounting rules.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mik posted:

I want to get a MBA; I also have two other Macs at home that need a copy of Lion. Would the EULA for the bundled/installed copy of Lion with the Air allow me to install it on my other machines (from the included thumb drive, or from the App Store), or does it actually only allow that for copies bought through the App Store? Similarly, does Lion show up as a "Purchased App" in the App Store with a new machine?
In the past the OSes that come with machines are only for that machine, I'd be surprised if that changed...also they had a simple check to make sure you were installing on that type of model only, so don't be surprised if that USB stick says something like "this cannot be installed on this machine" for your other computers. No clue on the App Store thing I'd lean towards no, but that's just a wild guess.

withak posted:

Is there a Foobar2k equivalent for Mac? Mainly I want a tree view to browse my library organized by Genre->Artist->Album or similar without having to navigate a list of things hundreds of items long or more. Something like this. Is there a way to make iTunes work like that?
Kind of but not exactly. If you hit command-B (or search for "browse" in the help menu) it'll bring up columns which let you drill down similarly. I think you can configure them to an extent somewhere too, I have my iTunes set up with Genre->Artist->Album, and you can set it up as horizontal or vertical split panes, I prefer the latter to see longer lists.

You can also command/shift click stuff to select multiple criteria within a list which is nice if you want to do something like listen to more than one genre, or only a few artists or albums within a list.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MZ posted:

How would I do that?
Last I checked it involved hacking up the installer and/or modifying something so the boot process loads up external drive drivers first (USB or FW). If Macs had eSATA it'd be easy :v:.

lord funk posted:

This is true. A coworker of mine explained it from their perspective. Who should you write software for? The pros, who are aging stalwarts of their tools, or the general public, who are the YouTube-era media makers of the future?
This former Shake then Apple dev summed it up, other than the (relatively) tiny pro market I think this is a big point:

quote:

And really, from a company perspective high-end customers are a pain in the rear end. Before Apple bought Shake, customer feedback drove about 90% of the features we’d put into the product. But that’s not how Apple rolls – for them a high end customers are high-bandwidth in terms of the attention they require relative to the revenue they return. After the acquisition I remember sitting in a roomful of Hollywood VFX pros where Steve told everybody point-blank that we/Apple were going to focus on giving them powerful tools that were far more cost-effective than what they were accustomed to… but that the relationship between them and Apple wasn’t going to be something where they’d be driving product direction anymore. Didn’t go over particularly well, incidentally, but I don’t think that concerned Steve overmuch… :-)

DirtyWorker posted:

Ctrl+Z to much to push?
Or command-Z if you haven't remapped it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Almost forgot, if anyone is :tinfoil: about security, Lion is a lot better:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/21/mac_os_x_lion_security/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

I've heard great things about TextMate, but keep in mind it hasn't been updated in YEARS. They've said they've been working on version 2.0 for a long time, but nothing's ever come from it. I don't think this is a good time to buy it at all.
Well it has been getting updates, they're all just maintenance updates. If nothing else they're still supporting the app at least and will continue to do so.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krakkles posted:

The point is that it became less useful to do that FIRST because if I just reinstall SL, I can leave it up and running and downloading Lion, rather than redownloading Lion and then making an install disc then reinstalling it. If it were already on my computer, it would make sense to do that. Since it's not, it's now moot.
I think you could've just erased the drive from the recovery partition then reinstalled from it. Net result would've been the same, but you would've been able to skip the SL install step. Now that you did that I guess you might as well take advantage of the fact that you'll have the Lion disk image to save elsewhere for future use.

McFunkerson posted:

I know someone brought this up earlier but I didn't see if it was solved. iWork apps start ignoring the keyboard after a couple seconds. Clicking on the desktop and then back will get you a couple key clicks before ignoring it again. Is this just a bug, should I use time machine to roll back to the older version. I don't seem to remember having problems before I updated.

Edit: Don't bother restoring older versions of iWork the apps will just crash. I swear They were working just fine on the GM for 3 weeks before the iWork update hit. My suggestions is if you haven't updated iWork yet... don't.

Edit 2: After re-updating iWork everything seems to be working fine, huzzah!
The guy that posted it said it ended up being some conflict with BetterTouchTool in his case.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

A ha!

Looks like you found the app exposé already, but another trick...that hopefully still works in Lion, is that while in all window exposé Mission Control you can tab/tilde or command-tab/tilde to get to the app window mode from there.

One thing I haven't heard about yet, do the control/option/command-exposé key functions still work? In 10.6 control did app windows, option opened up the prefpane (never liked that one), and command showed the desktop.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ziir posted:

Am I just remembering wrong or was there a way to disable Safari from opening PDFs in SL? I don't want PDFs to display in Safari. I want them to open in Preview.
I don't remember ever being able to do that, although there may have been a plugin for it. Worst case you can open the PDFs in Preview straight from Safari on that little control overlay that shows up towards the bottom center.

ndrake posted:

Why is the dashboard now a whole separate space (or even still there as an overlay). I always thought that was a stupid, failed experiment and was just waiting for apple to drop it from the OS. Creating an extra space seems to make it even more prominent.

Am I missing something? Did someone create useful widgets that I'm missing? I have a delivery status widget, weather, and istat on there. And maybe launch the dashboard every other month.
The ones I keep on there are imgur upload, PNGpong (to strip down PNGs), some timer thingy, and Calc Board. Dashboard also becomes a lot more useful in many cases if you turn on devmode and take them out of Dashboard, just running as floating windows basically so you don't have to go in and out just to use/see them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

Huh, I installed Lion to an external drive for testing, and it clobbered a bunch of stuff on my Snow Leopard install (e.g. nuked my keychain & backups, changed my account picture to the one I set in Lion). Nice.
...how the :psyduck:. I was going to do this with my old Mac mini in target disk mode* but now I'm paranoid that it'll screw up my current mini's SL install. Did you boot from the InstallESD or did you use the Lion installer? Was there any system on the external drive?

*It's a Core Solo upgraded to C2D machine so the Lion installer won't work, but apparently this is a workaround for it, along with deleting/editing a whitelist plist like the first DP.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

Really?

Like what?

I just backup my important files and reinstall everything at yearly intervals. Windows is still pretty terrible in some regards. (I even do this for things like my iPhone, but hopefully I won't have to do this for my Mac... we'll see)
For the most part you're right, most people probably never need to go in there. However the more you mess with your system (particularly hacky things) the more likely you'll mess around in there. It's kind of a self fulfilling thing :v:

Kenshirou posted:

Does Aperture 3 just run like poo poo on all machines (without SSD)? My Macbook Air 11in has run it just fine, but my new Mini Server definitely slows down when trying to scroll through a bunch of photos, and in general it seems to take up a lot of memory. The CPU in this machine should kick the poo poo out of my MBA, so I'm just assuming it's the SSD that made it load fast to begin with.

Also, I did a few benches at stock since I won't be getting 8GB for a few weeks. Cinebench is 4.3~, and Geekbench is 8700~. If I had 64-bit Geekbench I'm assuming my score would be up a little bit, but still that's a pretty drat good score for such a small computer. I've considered reinstalling with a striped RAID setup to increase performance, but I think I'll just keep the second drive as a Time Machine/media drive.
Yeah I think Aperture just hits the drive hard, probably more so when first running or importing too (to generate thumbnails and whatever other metadata scrubbing). I guess check Activity Monitor (or install MenuMeters or whatever) to see how much it's hitting the drive. Also, RAIDing the drives may not help if it's just doing a crapload of random accesses.

dazjw posted:

i posted before in here about my MBP's crufty 4-times-migrated Lion install that was running much shittier than a fresh install. Didn't want to clean-install because, ick, what a hassle, so I spent an hour or so diving through my ~/Library and /System/Library and a few other places and I think I found the problems, or at least the important ones. It's running a lot smoother now, especially from a cold start, when it used to be unusable for 5 minutes or so while safari would beachball.
You shouldn't have had to go through /System, or were there some random kexts and stuff in there?

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

I'm not sure I see how that's easier.

Isn't it better to start clean and move your stuff over instead of starting dirty, moving your stuff over, and then cleaning things that shouldn't be breaking your system?

edit: I'm new to the mac world, so my apologies if I don't understand the logic being applied here.
I'd say the clean way is easier but it just depends on the situation. In my case I know I have a lot of crap that I won't be needing along with a few years of randomly installed stuff that may or may not be hiding around, so I'll be starting clean when I get a new mini...but it's so much stuff that it'll take a while to clean so I'll just do it afterwards when upgrading my current one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

Is there a way to actually type emoji in OS X other than just dragging them from the special characters window into a text field? ❔
Someone earlier used text substitutions as a workaround. He/she mapped "(poop)" to "".

ndrake posted:

Does anyone mirror an itunes install between two computers? I'm going to have an imac and macbook air, and can't decide which I want to keep all my media/ sync iphone/ipad to. The imac is the easy answer, but I have 256 gb on the mba, so why not have a full 40 gb itunes library there for portable listening?

I'm sure I'm not the first with this problem, what do you do? Empty itunes on the portable and just use iphone/ipad for music on the go? Or is there an app that will keep the two itunes folders in perfect sync? Without breaking iphone sync.
iTunes Home Sharing might work, but I don't know if it has some full auto sync thing or if you have to transfer stuff manually.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

I fuckin' love my new 13" MBA, but to be honest, the type is really loving tiny in Safari, resulting in me having to command-+ every time I open a new page. I've told Safari to bump up the font size in it's preferences, but it doesn't seem to stick. Is there a way to be able to have Safari permanently be able to display at a larger size overall so I don't have to whip out reading glasses all the time?
Have you tried Prefs->Advanced->Never use font sizes smaller than [_]?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

I saw the safari 5.1 update on snow leopard claiming a resume feature but it seems nowhere to be found :smith:
I haven't tried this option myself...but did you check the preferences? In the first tab:

Khelmar posted:

Anyone having the immediately pausing network printer issue with Lion? My co-worker and I can't print to our network printers anymore, with the error:

(CUPS stuff)

in Cups' error_log. I've tried re-adding the printers, and resetting the printer system.
Try the 10.6.8 supplemental update mentioned a few posts above.

~Coxy posted:

I'm not at my Mac now, but it's in the TextEdit prefs somewhere.
If it's anything like 10.6's prefs:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Anyone else using Clusters? It's a utility that compresses your files with the HFS+ compression scheme introduced in Snow Leopard. I've been using it for over a year and have saved 18 GB on a 100 GB HD that would be nearly full without it. Backups from CCC work perfectly, and I haven't had any problems at all with compatibility (though you may have to decompress a file before using it on a pre-10.6 system).

I figure it would be great for people who picked up an Air with a small SSD and need to worry about space.
Yeah I've been using it for a while. I've noticed some weird issues but that's more cause the way I added a whole bunch of folders that probably shouldn't have been added. For my next installation I'll probably only use it on my Applications folder and others that are relatively static content wise.

timb posted:

There has to be a way to do the compression from the CLI.
Yup. Clusters basically just does some folder watching and automation around it afaik.

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Safari 5.1 is quite fast most of the time, but it seems to be hanging on one page or another MUCH more often than 5.0 did. I don't know if that has to do with ClickToFlash or what (don't think so - some of the sites where this is happening don't have any active Flash that I'm aware of), but it's *very* annoying (and often, when it hangs, it ends up reloading ALL tabs). Is anyone else experiencing similar behavior and/or has a fix for this?

edit: https://www.politicalwire.com is a good example of a site that ALWAYS slows Safari 5.1 down, but I don't see any Flash there.
Not at my computer to test, but I know extensions can cause issues occasionally. The simple way to test is to just disable all of them with the on/off switch. And if all the tabs are reloading it sounds like it caused the renderer process to crash.

Speaking of which, if you feel like Safari is hogging too much memory and you want to free it without restarting (but don't have anything you just typed in the tabs), just kill that process. It's a really ghetto way of forcing a memory purge but it works.

bassguitarhero posted:

Having some severe issues with my computer and I need to get it fixed ASAP. Last night while my Mac Pro 1,1 was supposed to be asleep, it just decided to restart.

I checked it this AM and instead of 6GB RAM it had the 2GB that came with it. I pulled out the machine, dusted it out and re-seated the RAM, it says 6GB now.

But Final Cut Pro will not play any HD video anymore. It just stops immediately, plays 2 frames and stops. I'm in the middle of a couple of really big projects and I just cannot have this happen. I ran Tech Tool Deluxe and it said there's no problem, I ran permissions repair, I just can't figure out why last night the computer was fine, restarted overnight, and now will not play HD video in Final Cut. Could something have happened to my machine? I was just editing this stuff last night and it was fine, woke up and now it's all hosed.
Have you tested out other projects to see whether it's a particular file? I guess try doing SMC and PRAM resets. Have you looked in Console to see what might have caused the restart while it should've been sleeping?

japtor fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 27, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

My co-worker is thinking of going back to Snow Leopard because some of the programs he needs to use are unfortunately older Rosetta based apps which won't run on Lion. I've heard of Lion Server being able to run VMs of 10.7, but I was wondering if it could run 10.6 in a VM environment so he can use older Rosetta apps? If so, how does one go about installing and running a 10.6 VM?
Buying Snow Leopard Server for $999 :downs: (that's the only 10.6 that's actually licensed to run in a VM...not that it's officially sold from them anymore afaik). People have been doing it with the client version for a while, this is old as hell but it might work. Follow the source link and look in the long comment thread, looks like people have successfully done it with more recent versions but I didn't check for details.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

I was wondering about running Lion Server and if it would run a 10.6 VM though...
That doesn't really change anything cause Lion Server doesn't change anything EULA wise for 10.6 afaik. Lion lets you run two instances of Lion in VMs, 10.6 Server lets you run it in a VM, but the regular 10.6 doesn't (but again that seems easy enough to work around).

lelandjs posted:

So how is Royal Pains, anyway?
Apparently good enough that he hasn't canceled it even after downloading over half a gig of extra data!

Sharrow posted:

Parallels can :unsmith:
What happens if you suspend it then reboot into Windows?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

El Jackalope posted:

As long as it actually works under Lion's VM, that's what matters to me.
I think it should, but search around to see how it's working for others before diving in yourself. I forget where I saw it but at least one thing to do is to disable sleep in the virtualized OS X cause apparently that can crash it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Astro7x posted:

And I accidentally just discovered something new to me. Holding down Control and Command and scrolling will make the window you are hovering over transparent. Pretty cool.
...that sounds a lot like a semi old hack called Afloat. You wouldn't happen to have had that installed and forgot about it would you? If it is that, other ways to tell would be Afloat additions in Window menus, ctrl-cmd click drag to move a window, ctrl-cmd right click drag to resize, and ctrl-cmd-A to set a window to float.

fleshweasel posted:

Is it still possible to grab scroll bars if you set them to always appear?
During one of the WWDC presentations they showed you can grab the disappearing one while it's on screen, looked a bit awkward though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ziir posted:

Why are my signatures so big when I send mail from Mail? I didn't notice it until a friend asked me why I made my font for my signature so big compared to my messages. It doesn't look this way in Mail, but does in Gmail (as shown below). Is it just a problem with Gmail?

If you click on the signature field (so you can edit it), can you bring up the font panel (cmd-T) to manually resize it?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does Disk Utility find anything wrong with the drive? Is "safe mode" (boot with shift held down) still around in Lion to test out?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

maduin posted:

iTunes implementation and Photo Stream are the only things I can see this bringing that might pull me away from Google. I really wish I wasn't so heavily invested in my @gmail.com address, because it makes it so tough to try any new service.
I'll probably keep using Google for mail (particularly cause I have my own domain account), but will move calendars and contacts over, and of course anything else that uses it for storage like iWork.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Am I going crazy or is the SMART data new in Disk Utility in Lion?

New to me :shobon:

(uploaded through Dashboard with an Imgur widget :eng101:)

Martytoof posted:

The problem with that Transmit widget was that it was just as easy for me to pick up the files, hit the Exposé key and drop them right into Transmit as it was to bring up the Dashboard and drop them there.

And actually that's my problem with a lot of widgets that sound like they'd be useful. It's easier for me to do stuff without them.

Dashboard always struck me as an information resource and nothing more, but I completely understand if people don't agree.
It just varies a lot depending on the widgets you find and how you work I guess. I have a few basic "utility" type widgets that I leave there and use semi often, and it's for random stuff that I wouldn't bother having a full blown app for, or in some cases I find them better than some apps.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

krnhotwings posted:

Which version are you using?

Regarding TM.. I've been backing up my data manually onto a spare drive instead of using TM. Now, I figure I should try using TM. Can TM use exFAT drives? Can this data be accessed by other operating systems? I'd like the data to be available to other computers if in the event that my Mac fails. And judging from previous posts about TM bugs, should I even bother with it? Or should I just stick with manual back ups?
TM only works on HFS+ unless something has changed recently. You might be able to use it on other drives if you do something like a sparse disk image (formatted HFS+), so TM writes to the mounted disk image rather than directly to the drive itself in whatever format.

I think you'd be boned from other OSes, it'll probably depend on if they read the hard links properly, while disk image support is probably limited at best too. TM is nice cause it's basically versioning for your HD so I'd keep it around if possible...but I'd do a separate plain backup as well in case TM fucks up.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Yeah, I thought about that immediately after I posted it. By default it just used to show all open windows in one huge grid. I could have sworn there was a way to show open windows grouped by application in the old Expose (separate from the 'application expose' feature) but perhaps I was just dreaming.
The closest is hitting cmd-1 or 2 while in Expose, I forget which does which, but one sorts them by name and the other sorts by app. The problem is that it's still just a grid of windows that are hard to identify if you have a bunch open.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Strangelet Wave posted:

Okay, I've got probably the nitpickiest problem ever with Dashboard, but here goes:

Here's my dashboard, with a nice big web clip of the Weather Underground radar map. Pretty.

When I go to Mission Control, however, the little thumbnail for Dashboard shows an empty clip. Very rarely, the thumbnail will display correctly, but for the life of me I can't figure out what makes it work. Google is unhelpful.

I could revert to Dashboard's Snow Leopard behavior, but I kinda like having it in its own space.
Have you tried making other web clips? I'm guessing it's just some bug with them. If so uh, I guess report it, and in the meantime find some other Dashboard widget that can do the same thing.

chimz posted:

Yeah, unless you have the fast pay-for Tuxera, you really shouldn't be using NTFS read-write for lots of files or for iTunes on Mac. What I'd do is either send it over the network, if you have gigabit and another Windows computer, or boot into Boot Camp which can read HFS+ now, and have Windows do the writing.

Or reformat your drive into something that OS X supports natively, like ExFAT or FAT or just HFS+.
Copying through a Windows VM would be faster than FUSE too wouldn't it?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, the real difference is that with the old style you were moving the scroll thumb, but with the new way you're moving the page. I really don't think the old way is any more natural, but it's been ingrained in our muscle memory over years and years. You just have to learn to think about it differently.
I've been using it with my trackpad in 10.6 for a few days now (switched with BetterTouchTool), I'm kind of used to it now after initially having to think about what the scroll was controlling.

...now the arrow keys (or space/shift-space) kind of gently caress me up if I use them to scroll :doh:

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Oh. I feel officially retarded.

I guess I will see what the unofficial ways result in, but otherwise I am giving up.

edit. A Macbook 1.1 has Core Duo, which is 32-bit, right? And now that I am paying attention, Lion is 64-bit only. So this is going no where fast.
Yep! The original DP would work, but they stripped out most (if not all) the 32-bit binaries by the later ones and final. Even if you managed to get it to boot, the built in apps wouldn't work (Finder, Mail, Safari, etc).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ndrake posted:

I set up Mail.app (new Mail/ Lion) with a gmail account. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious... but how do I make it behave exactly like my iPad? I only want 30 days or 3 months or some predefined amount of time's archived emails to be downloaded, and the rest just wait for me on the server in case I search. When I used the account it downloaded my entire 2 gigs of email; I don't want to waste space.
Not sure about saving an x period of mail, but if it has similar settings to the 10.6 one you might be able to download the message list only, and load mails as you read them. In 10.6 it was Accounts -> Advanced and something about downloading messages. If that's set to "don't download any" or something, it'll only download/cache the message list.

(But that could be gone in 10.7 for all I know :doh:)

unruly posted:

Yes, there are bugs and edge cases where this isn't going to work perfectly. Those rules can be tweaked, interfaces can change (I agree with some of the commenters that the icon should stay in the cmd-tab/dock for a bit -- perhaps fade out?). The thing that irks me though is when people whine and complain about 'the new' without really understanding the focus behind it.
I'm pretty sure that would fix his complaint. The main problem in his case seems to be that the app termination is actively messing with his workflow, and taking it out of the switcher/dock is the only part that's actually doing so (assuming auto save and resume are working properly). It's a feature that should be invisible for people like him, but instead it's right in his face.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This might be useful for some of you: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

quote:

The Lion Recovery Disk Assistant lets you create Lion Recovery on an external drive that has all of the same capabilities as the built-in Lion Recovery: reinstall Lion, repair the disk using Disk Utility, restore from a Time Machine backup, or browse the web with Safari.
More info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

edit: Seeing a few posts elsewhere saying this doesn't seem to work if you have a FileVault encrypted volume, at least at the time of this post.

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 10, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's a good, free timer for Snow Leopard?
I use Minutes and enable dev mode for Dashboard if I need to see it outside the Dashboard layer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Terpfen posted:

No, I never used 10.0 or 10.1. I got on board the OS X train with 10.5. My point stands, though: I've never had a 10.x.0 version crash on me. Guess I'm doing something right/wrong.
OS X was pretty mature by then, the thing you got right was just coming in later than a lot of us :v:.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flyboi posted:

I had a sawtooth with blazing fast 2GB PC133 ram hacked in w/ overclock so it ran at 500MHz on a 450MHz proc and a reflashed TNT2. God did it suck trying to use OSX on that fucker but I felt like such a badass.
I had a 8500/120 upgraded to a G3/300 and that ran OS X until 2003 (when I got my G5) I think. That thing was in use since 1995 or so.

2GB? I had 80MB :smug:
(it wasn't my main machine though, just a server)

Martytoof posted:

I'll give this a shot this weekend, thanks.
If Soundflower doesn't work, I thought Audio Hijack could do that stuff before...or something else I can't remember :(.

Terpfen posted:

So… if we're conceding that later versions of OS X, let's say from 10.5 onward, are more stable in their 10.x.0 incarnation than 10.0.0, 10.1.0, etc., then why is it even being posted that 10.7.0 is buggy, crashy, unstable, etc? Where is this coming from? Are people just experiencing problems with specific apps that may or may not have been updated for Lion, and just blanket blaming Lion because that's the most recent thing on their system that changed?

Makes zero sense to me, but hey.
More stable doesn't mean 100% stable. 10.7 is buggy/crashy/unstable for some people, just as 10.5 and 10.6 were, but it's not happening to everyone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm pretty sure OS X does the same thing that Windows started doing with Vista: telling you the amount of RAM that's there, even if it can't address all of it. A 2.16GHz MBP can tell you that 4GB of RAM is installed, but I'm pretty sure it can't address more than 3GB. Though I have no idea how to verify that in the OS.
Yeah for the machines that can work with 4GB but not actually use it, they still report the full 4GB installed. I think the actual usable amount is 3.3GB...not really sure how someone (OWC?) figured that out but that's the number I remember over the years.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I just installed Lion onto my new SSD, and used Migration Assistant to migrate everything except my ~/Movies, ~/Pictures, and ~/Music folders. These total about 300GB, so I can't really move them onto the SSD.

Does it matter if I just leave these in my old Users folder and symlink to them? Should I move them out of Users onto the root of the drive? Move them onto my external, wipe the drive, then put them back?

Ideas?

edit: OR should I move all of /Users/ on the second drive?
Symlinking should work, although I'd watch out for possible permission issues, like if it sees it as a different user than your new account. You could probably chown or whatever to fix it if it comes up...but I'm not too familiar with it so I can't give specifics.

Moving all of Users (or just your user) works, but you lose some speed benefits cause there's caches and stuff in the user Library folder. If you have Steam or CrossOver they stick their crap in there too. And on that note if you happen to install a big game off Steam and you're missing a bunch of space all of a sudden, now you'll know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

nerdpony posted:

I just checked another one, and I had it on other apps. Just not the one I wanted to get inside. Weird.
Maybe an app that uses the old flat file format?