Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

qutius posted:

Is there a way to restore the three finger up and down gestures to go to the top and end of a document/page?

I just set the global three finger swipes as command-arrow key using bettertouchtool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Would anyone recommend installing Lion on a C2D unibody MacBook? I was wanting to put it on my mom's computer, but I'm not sure how well it would run.

I'm running the 2.0 C2D "late 2008" aluminum unibody macbook with 4 gigs of ram and it's running great.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Ziir posted:

When I'm using Preview in full screen mode to view PDFs and switch pages, a little popup comes up saying "Page X of Y" for a few seconds. Can I make this popup never show up? It's distracting at best, and just plain annoying.

e: Actually, it seems there's two ways to enter full-screen and they're not the same :psyduck:

Pressing the fullscreen button in the top right fullscreens it and gives it its own space, like it's suppose to. But now changing pages gives that annoying 'Page X of Y' popup and there's a stupid animation to the page changes. It also gives you access to 3 finger swipe left/right to change pages.

However, pressing cmd+shift+f ALSO fullscreens it, giving it it's own space too. But now 3 finger swipe is gone, but you can still change the pages with the left/right arrows. Page changes are now instantaneous and there's no annoying 'Page X of Y' popup.

… it really doesn't seem like there should be a difference here and it just seems like Apple didn't do much testing on this whole fullscreen mode at all.

I'm pretty sure the latter thing you're seeing is slideshow.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

echobucket posted:

Here's a fun easter egg. Go into Mission Control or Launchpad and Press "Command-M". This turns on Motion Blur animations. Try swiping left and right. Whoosh!

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110818093802173

Whoa I am glad that is only an easter egg. It takes away all of the context that makes those animations useful.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
That's what I was getting too. Change one of the windows from full-size to barely less than full-size and they'll sort normally.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Finally I don't have to switch browsers to view or even just download certain papers.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
I don't think I could go back to a computer without bettertouchtool. Quicksilver is in a close second after that.

Also it seems like a good time to mention that although Quicksilver was dead in the water for a long time, it's recently been picked back up by some new devs and they've been fixing a lot of bugs. There was a problem with the updater at one point so to go from version B61 to B63 (the current version) you will have to download it manually.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, Microsoft Word drives me crazy on Lion. If i'm swiping past spaces and pass a Word document, then Word steals the focus a few seconds later and it automatically switches me right back to Word. It seems that Microsoft just hasn't made office on OS X a priority at all.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
There was an actual flash update only a few days ago, and for a little bit I was worried I had actually installed the trojan. The results from following instructions in here seem to indicate that I'm in the clear though.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Quicksilver rocks. I've said this before, but it's been getting a lot of attention these days from some new devs and is worth checking out.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Laserface posted:

Having some trouble installing Lion on a RAID1 setup in a mac pro. 12 core xeon with 2x500GB SSDs.

we have copied the recovery partition to a USB and tried that, but it wants around 10 hours to 'download necessary components'

it will install fine to a single drive install but we need it set up in RAID1. we have added both SSDs to the array successfully but it fails about half way through the installation.

outisde of purchasing a lion USB key, is there a way we can use another lion-based mac to create an offline installer of sorts that contains ALL the data required? I have a 10.7.3 mid 2011 imac and a 10.6.8 mid 2011 MBP at home.

its not my computer nor will it be with our company after we deliver it to the client so I would like to avoid using my itunes account to re-download it.

I don't know anything about RAID, but you can make a completely-offline lion installer and put it on a usb key or hard drive partition. It's much easier if you have access to a mac from (I think) before mid-2011 where you had to purchase lion from the app store.

Make a bootable installer from older macs
Make a bootable installer from newer macs

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Laserface posted:

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue with Mail.app on Lion/ML.

when setting signature size, if you leave the box ticked for 'match my email font' (paraphrasing) which is helevicta 14, it will actually bump it up to 18 or so when sending the mail. Everywhere it appears - in the signature box, in the email itself, before sending, looks fine. once its sent out the recipients copy has a huge signature.

adjusting it to any size by selecting the text and changing font to another size while un-ticking the box works fine. unticking the box and using font size 14 causes the same thing to happen again.

took me a good while to figure out what the gently caress was going on there, even resorting to plain-text copying in of the signature from a text file to avoid getting weird formatting brought across from word wouldnt fix it.

seems that its just bugged at size 14.

I noticed this the other day too. After looking around online it appears mail.app doesn't actually specify your font size in your signature. Instead, it just says the signature font size is "medium" and lets the receiving mail client determine what that will look like. I think outlook is one of the worst offenders and interprets "medium" as a huge font size.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Heads up there is only one day left for the MacHeist nanoBundle 3. It's $10 and includes Fantastical, Path Finder and AirServer among others.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Mac newbie here. I'm trying to get BetterTouchTool set up in Safari so I can tap on the left side of the touchpad to open a link in a new tab in the background, right side for new tab in foreground, center for regular click. Unfortunately when I set this up it passes the original click through along with the cmd-click or whatever, so it wind up opening the link both in a new tab and in the current tab. Is there a better way to do something like this? In Firefox I'm used to Super Drag type extensions that let you do this with dragging links but anything that lets me use just the touchpad would be cool..

Use the tiptaps for opening tabs. I use a single tiptap for switching to the new tab, two finger for opening in the background, and three finger for closing the window. It works well and doesn't click through like you're describing. While we're on the topic I also found setting spaces to use four fingers is nice so I can use the three finger swipe to switch between tabs.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

h_double posted:

I love me some Preview.App except for one thing. I typically have several PDFs open in it at the same time, which I flip back and forth between, in the same window. The problem is, if I go from document X to document Y and then back to X, it forgets the page number and takes me back to the beginning of the document.

If I close & reopen Preview, it remembers the page number of document I was reading, but I can't figure out how to get it to preserve it when switching between multiple open documents. Is there a way around this?

OS 10.6.8 if it makes a difference.

This behavior bothers me a lot too. The only workaround I found (although maybe it matters that I'm using Lion) is for you to use function+option+up/down arrow keys, which switches between docs without losing your place.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

What did they do to Mail that breaks Gmail? Emails I'm deleting keep coming right back now and don't stay deleted.

Are you talking about this? http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1p25c6/mavericks_changes_mailapp_behavior_with_gmail/

Enginerdiest posted:

Just in case you, like me, discovered suddenly your email was going crazy, it's because Mail.app in Mavericks changes the way it deals with Googles wild-rear end IMAP scheme.

The archive function now works correctly, in that it puts in the All Mail for a gmail account, but if you've hidden that folder as a workaround in previous versions of mail.app, it will barf messages back into your inbox. Making sure the "All Mail" system label is marked as "show in IMAP" is correct, and then make sure you use "archive" and not "delete" to send messages there. To my knowledge, you can't remap the Del key to archive instead, but you can set a shortcut for archive.
Hopefully that will save some of you an hour this morning.

I'm glad I came across this because otherwise I would have been deleting emails for a long time until I figured out that the delete key was no longer just archiving my emails. It seems you can't have the delete key do anything other than move emails to the trash now.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
I'm having trouble updating my macbook to Yosemite and was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a fully updated late 2008 (aluminum) macbook running 10.9.5. The 10.10 install process freezes with 22 minutes remaining every time I try. The same problem happens after I have tried trashing and re-downloading the install file as well as repairing the disk and permissions from the recovery partition. I haven't found anyone with too similar of a problem in the helps forums, and I'm not really sure what the next step is from here.

The error log is here: http://pastebin.com/FsLMfQT2

Anyone have a guess as to what's going on? The machine hasn't been acting up in any other way.

ManPortable fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 19, 2014

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Quoting myself from last week. I haven't had a chance to try again until today, but even after reinstalling the 10.9.5 combo update I'm still having the same problem. Is this a hardware issue or is my best bet to make a usb yosemite install and do a fresh install (and migrate from time machine)? I'm hesitant to try that since I'm not sure if I would just essentially end up with zero operating systems.

ManPortable posted:

I'm having trouble updating my macbook to Yosemite and was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a fully updated late 2008 (aluminum) macbook running 10.9.5. The 10.10 install process freezes with 22 minutes remaining every time I try. The same problem happens after I have tried trashing and re-downloading the install file as well as repairing the disk and permissions from the recovery partition. I haven't found anyone with too similar of a problem in the helps forums, and I'm not really sure what the next step is from here.

The error log is here: http://pastebin.com/FsLMfQT2

Anyone have a guess as to what's going on? The machine hasn't been acting up in any other way.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

chimz posted:

It looks like the installer is crashing when it encounters a file on your install disk that it doesn't like. Most likely a fresh install would work. Make sure to have a backup!

Thanks! I have a time machine backup and a cloud backup so I'll give it a shot.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

ShadeofBlue posted:

Does anyone have any experience using Yosemite on an old Core 2 Duo laptop? I have a 2.66 GHz C2D MBP with 8 GB memory. Mavericks runs quite nicely, but I don't think I'd be happy if upgrading would slow it down a noticeable amount.

I'm still using a late 2008 macbook (2.0 GHz core 2 duo) and have zero issues with yosemite. It has 8GB of RAM, but the best thing I did for it was put in a hybrid hard drive (Momentus XT). I keep thinking I will have no choice but to upgrade to a new machine, but so far it's kept up nicely considering it's age.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Does anyone know if it's possible to still download the Office 2016 mac preview at this point? They extended it's expiration until the end of October, but I don't see a way to download it now. I want to put it on my wife's machine, because once the standalone download is released I expect she can buy it for cheap through her institution. At the moment the office for mac page directs you to buy the 365 subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Scroll Reverser is free and that's all it does.