Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there an alternative to Keywurl that works well with Safari 5.1 or am I stuck hacking the Safari 4 version to work with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there any way to rearrange fullscreen apps/spaces in Mission Control? And does anyone know why the three-finger back/forwards gesture only works some of the time in Finder? I have the two- and three-finger gesture option enabled in my trackpad settings.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

On my computer running Lion at home, the new space button in Mission Control is on the left, but on the display macs where I work, the button is on the right hand side. Why is this and how do I change it?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

So I kinda want to like the spelling correction in Lion as its useful for when I make typos, but is there a way to undo corrections with a keyboard shortcut? Like I wanna write Skream sometimes, not scream, but it won't let me and I have to stop typing to click on the word to stop it from changing it.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

that only stops it from changing before you've pressed space and if you're typing quickly you miss it and have to go back which is annoying. I just turned it off for now anyway.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there a good app someone can recommend that will let me see what channels nearby Wifi networks are broadcasting on? I remember a thread a few months ago with a Windows app that did the same thing but couldn't find a Mac one.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

What's a good app to keep a directory on my internal drive backed up to an external drive? I already have time machine set up with my time capsule, but I want to keep several folders synchronised with their counterparts on a USB drive.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I use plex with smart hub and it works really well for me. Only things missing are subtitles and .dvdmedia support.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

swipe it right with two fingers

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

For some reason my Mac spell check is set to German, which is annoying as gently caress considering everything I write is in English.

I can change the language to various others including English when I right click and choose "Spelling and Grammar", but for some reason it always defaults to German. I've had a look in the language settings in system preferences but can't see anything out of place there. Additionally, there are no languages other than en and en_AU in my /user/spelling/ directory.

Can anyone help?

Edit: I'm on 10.8.2

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there a way to stop iCloud coming up as the default save location for everything in iWork?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there some setting I can edit that adds a delay to the menubar when using a fullscreen app? It triggers way too easily when I move the cursor near the top of the screen if I'm using a browser in full screen.

Edit: in 10.8

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Trying to access an SMB share from my machine running 10.8.4 is killing me.

The share shows up in Finder, but trying to connect gives me the error "This file server will not allow any additional users to log on. Try to connect again later." I can connect with no problems on Windows 7. Trying to mount the share in the Terminal gives me a "no route to host" error.

I've tried installing SMBUp but it doesn't help, I think it's more for hosting SMB shares from a Mac though, not for accessing SMB shares from a Mac which is my problem.

Anyone know what to do?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

What's the best Safari keyword search at the moment? I have Omnikey installed but it's a bit buggy, misinterprets keystrokes sometimes and submits my query when I'm halfway through typing.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I guess this goes here since OS X appears to be the culprit:

I did a clean install of 10.9 (13A603) today and now I can't back up with Time Machine.

I get the following error:

code:
5/11/2013 1:47:31.213 pm com.apple.backupd[381]: Not starting automatic Time Machine backup: System clock is wrong.
 5/11/2013 1:47:31.272 pm com.apple.backupd[381]: Backup failed with error 33: 33
And this message in the Time Machine application: "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup: The system date and time is incorrect."

I'm trying to back up to a Time Capsule with the current firmware. The clock on my Mac is set automatically, as is the one on the TC. Both are set to the same time zone.

I have reset PRAM and SMC, tried erasing the TC drive and nothing seems to work. I don't know what to try next.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Try completely resetting the TimeMachine prefs:

http://pondini.org/TM/A4.html

Just tried this, no luck.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Mikey-San posted:

Can you please do this in Terminal and tell me what it says:

code:
stat /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd

code:
Mars:~ stuart$ stat /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd
16777221 11087 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 0 704064 "Nov  5 15:13:22 2013" "Nov  6 04:54:26 2013" "Nov  6 04:54:26 2013" "Sep 30 07:33:37 2013" 4096 1080 0x20 /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd
Mars:~ stuart$
Edit: I set the date ahead of Nov 6 since that's when the system thinks backupd was last modified and it appears to be working as normal now - however since it's the initial backup it's going to be a while before I can confirm it's worked. Also I used sudo touch to modify backupd so hopefully this will allow me to set the real date and have it work as expected. (not sure why I didn't just try that first)

Anmitzcuaca fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Thanks for the help. It's far enough in to the backup now that I'll just wait.

I set the time manually before running the install using the date command, since the Mavericks installer failed because the system date was set to Jan 01 2001, it would appear it's change it automatically part way through installation into the future. At least any other problems of this nature will be gone in a day or two.