Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Terpfen posted:

Exactly. Constant reinstalling is a side effect of Windows being horrible, not a common maintenance technique for all operating systems.

Just install on top. You will experience no performance degradation as a result.

No performance degradation - but would you experience a performance upgrade with a clean install? I don't know the physics behind it but I always felt my machine ran snappier after a clean install. BUT I guess I always have done clean installs so I can't compare it to what it would have been.

I guess what I'm asking is: is there any actual advantage to a clean install? Or will there be literally no difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So I'm going to do a clean install because I have a ton of old apps and cruft built up from my SL install.

I know that I can burn a DVD from the DMG; however, if I just download Lion and doubleclick the app, will I have the option to erase drive & clean install? Or must I go the DVD route?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

No, you have to boot off a disc (or USB I guess) to wipe the system. Do you really expect to be able to wipe a system while it's running?

Well, I read the way Lion works is by partitioning your disk on the fly. I figured that would have to be while it was off but I figured it was worth asking. Going to walk downstairs and get a blank DVD now :)

e: crap, forgot the optical drive on my machine has been freaking out and not recognizing DVDs. I can probably find a thumb drive - but has that been confirmed that you can just pop the DMG on a thumb drive and it works? For that matter, could I just put the DMG on an external USB HD and boot from there? Or are these thumb drives apple is shipping some kind of special deal?

e2: found directions! http://www.yourdailymac.net/2011/06/how-to-create-a-bootable-mac-os-x-lion-installation-usb-stick-or-external-hard-drive/

Petey fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 22, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

So it turns out that Lion is incompatible with the Kerberos authentication we use at work.

(no, I didn't install it on my work machine; but I use my home machine to do work)

Good thing I fell asleep rather than install it last night! Guess I have to wait for our IT folks to unbreak things.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Ok, I'm still migrating some stuff, but I'm up and running on my mid-2007 black macbook at home. It's definitely snappier (although: this may be due to the clean install, not because it was a new install but because it cleaned out a LOT of old poo poo I didn't migrate over - regained like 40 gigs of space on my hard drive!)

Overall, I like it. Like duck monster, I've done a number of things - 2d dock, no natural scrolling, etc - to fix it, and will keep tweaking (why the hell must Library be hidden? why no hard drives on the desktop even as an option?) but I do think it's nice, and frankly the new FileVault is worth it in and of itself.

That said, Siracusa, if anything, understated how loving terrible the new iCal looks and uses...I am looking forward to the inevitable hacks to tweak these as well.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Same as it always was dude.

Well I found that but I thought - incorrectly it seems - that on older OSs you could see those by default.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

gregday posted:

From John SIracusa's twitter feed:

code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO

:siren:PUT THIS IN THE OP PLEASE:siren:

(it turns off stupid animations when you start a program)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Does Quicktime Player 7 still exist / work in Lion?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Karsh posted:

I think this does it:

Actually it didn't. At least not immediately. I had to click that and then restart in order for it to take effect but I think it has.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yup. I think it's buried in some application package somewhere, but I can still right-click on a file and open it with Quicktime 7.

Hrm, any ideas where it is? I remain addicted to Quicktime Pro.

e: interesting

1) go to http://www.nasa.gov/qtl/151335main_NASA_TV_QT.qtl
2) double click the downloaded file
3) you will be prompted to install QT7 via Software Update
4) yay!!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Does anyone know if the "can't share wireless to ethernet unless your Mac has 192.168.2.1" bug is still accurate and, if so, whether there is a workaround?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Ok, I am officially over Safari restoring my tabs. Not because it isn't nice in theory. But because every time I restart Safari, if I had 5 tabs open it will start with 15, my former 5 repeated 3 times.

I'm now spending more time closing excess tabs than I ever did opening new ones.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Hello Spaceman posted:

I had the problem you're describing, until I removed my session saver extension. Now it works just fine.

WELL

yes, it did :)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Welp, hello from within the recovery partition, where I am currently sequestered.

My machine has been running fine for the last week, but an hour or so ago it froze up - I mean froze up - while trying to write an email. I had to hard reboot, and since then it reboots and freezes, reboots and freezes. I turned off "resume apps" but yeah, nothing.

This sucks.

e: thank god I didn't wipe my TM volume to start anew as I had been planning to. I may still have to clean install Lion, but at least I can pull my old apps and docs from my Snow Leopard backup.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

So: natural scrolling.

One of the things folks have talked about is the fact that if you turn off natural scrolling, it fucks up the natural-ness of the side scrolling. I.E. if you make it so that scrolling down on your trackpad causes the page to move down, scrolling to the right on the trackpad makes the page move to the left.

Does anyone know of a way - from Terminal if needs be - to make it so that you can (in effect) turn off natural scrolling for vertical but keep it for horizontal?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

So SMTP is breaking in Apple Mail...for one of my Google Apps accounts...on one of my machines.

Everything else configured identically.

Same password everything. Just not connecting.

Anyone else running in to this?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

gently caress, Lions permissions are all hosed up. Look what happens when I try to change my preferences in Mail:

I'd been noticing that some things seemed to revert back all of the time (last session in Safari, whether or not OmniBar was installed, etc), but now I can't even save some things without it freaking out, and I can't move/edit folders in my own home directory without entering in my admin username and password.

Tried Repair Permissions; tried Cmd-I my home directory and making sure the owner was set to me (and all folders below it too). Nothing. Can't even open iWork applications now.

Googling around, this appears to be a known issue affecting users who did a clean install and didn't use Migration Assistant to pull over their old files, just copied them manually.

But yeah, it's now gone from "annoying" to "unusable.

I'm currently decrypting FileVault2 so I can try to boot from the recovery partition and try the "Reset my Password" trick, which apparently nukes all of your permissions and resets them to what they need to be. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll clean-install and try a migration from my Lion Time Machine. And if that doesn't work...well, gently caress.

Goddammit.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

TheState posted:

I've complained about some things in Lion, but you must have had the worst install in history. I'm not having nearly the same amount of issues as you seem to be having.

You know I wasn't really having too many issues at the beginning. But it looks like Lion doesn't play nicely with non-upgraded and non-Migrated accounts.

This is a mess.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

What do you mean non-upgraded/migrated accounts? I'm running a fresh install of Lion and haven't run into any issues at all.

I ran a fresh install of Lion and then, in order to get my old files, I just reached into my Backups folder on my Time Machine volume and pulled over stuff out of my Home directory (Documents, Music, etc).

Maybe it's just me!!

Oh here's another fun thing that doesn't work anymore: Contacts syncing from iTunes to my phone. My phone Backup wasn't saving (probably because of these issues) so I deleted it. I then wiped my phone and resync'd it with iTunes.

Now, even though I have hundreds of contacts and a dozen groups in Address Book, here's what it looks like in iTunes:

Tried exporting and reimporting my vCards, deleted the AddressBook folder in App Support to generate new plists, nothing. AB works fine, but iTunes integration is broken. I had to upload all of my vCards into my sync'd Google account and retrieve them OTA in order for it to get back on my phone.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

SERIOUS posted:

I envy you - my fresh install has been a buggy mess so far. :smith:

At first, the inevitable early adopter bugs were worth it. But now I'm seriously considering rolling back to Snow Leopard and starting over because this is loving horrific.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why not? In theory it should work just fine. Unless he pulled the Library too. That can probably cause problems.

I did not pull the library. And I did it precisely because I only wanted to pull a few things - Documents, Music, etc - and NOT transfer over any old cruft I didn't actively want anymore.

Trying the reset password recovery app to see if that resets my permissions as advertised.

e: nope

code:

-bash-3.2# /Applications/Utilities/Reset\ Password.app/Contents/MacOS/Reset\ Password
2011-08-05 14:45:04.983 Reset Password[355:9503] Could not check in to check for terminal pokes.
2011-08-05 14:45:24.142 Reset Password[355:9503] Repair Home Directory permissions started
2011-08-05 14:49:08.441 Reset Password[355:9503] Some user permissions have been reset
2011-08-05 14:49:08.441 Reset Password[355:9503] Repair Home Directory permissions complete
2011-08-05 14:49:08.443 Reset Password[355:9503] Repair Home Directory permissions error: Permissions reset on user home directory failed.

And when I restart I still have permissions issues, right down to that same "you can't turn off junk mail because Mail can't write to your library folder" error.

And now I'm worried that even if I clean install again and pull these back with Migration Assistant it'll break because this utility is SUPPOSED to reset all of your permissions / ACLs.

God DAMMIT.

Petey fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 5, 2011

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

decypher posted:

You could have done this with Time Machine. You could have entered time machine and selected the folders you wanted to restore, and time machine would have done it for you. Don't need to restore the whole disk or user folder, ya know?

I think it might cause problems because its using Time Machines proprietary, special way of archiving the data. Time Machine doesn't do a straight copy of the data, doesn't it make an image of the changed stuff and transfer that over? It's not like a file transfer with Finder in that regard. Sure the backup data is accessible and looks nice in Finder, but to restore it I wouldn't just drag poo poo from the backup location onto where I need it. I would use Time Machine cause it was created in Time Machine. My way of thinking is probably flat out wrong here but its worth a thought.

You're right, I could have done it using the TM GUI, but the latest backup are just symlinking to the "real" copies of the files, so there is no difference functionally.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

You could also try chmod -R 755 on ~/Library/Preferences and creating a new user account to see if that error still exists.

Just FYI - it's not just library that is doing this. I get permissions errors anywhere in my home directory. I may try the new user route though just to see what happens.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

chimz posted:

What happens if you ls -al in your home directory? I'm thinking you might have had a different user id on your old install and your new install.

Type ls -al in your home directory, and type id and send us the result.

Thought of that, but frankly don't know how to tell what my ids were on old vs new. Here's the output:

code:

Chriss-MacBook:~ chris$ ls -al
total 40
drwxr-xr-x+ 18 chris  staff    612 Jul 31 22:41 .
drwxr-xr-x   6 root   admin    204 Jul 23 08:34 ..
-rw-------   1 chris  staff      3 Jul 23 00:30 .CFUserTextEncoding
-rw-r-----@  1 chris  staff  15364 Aug  5 14:03 .DS_Store
srwxr-xr-x   1 chris  staff      0 Jul 31 21:51 .MumbleOverlayPipe
drwxr-x--x+ 39 chris  staff   1326 Aug  5 17:42 .Trash
-rw-r-----+  1 chris  staff   2240 Aug  5 14:28 .bash_history
drwx------+  9 chris  staff    306 Aug  5 20:11 .dropbox
drwxr-x--x+  3 chris  staff    102 Jul 25 18:33 .ssh
drwx------+ 11 chris  staff    374 Aug  5 18:18 Desktop
drwx------+ 21 chris  staff    714 Jul 27 22:10 Documents
drwx------+ 33 chris  staff   1122 Aug  3 21:56 Downloads
drwxr-x--x@ 13 chris  staff    442 Aug  5 18:18 Dropbox
drwx------+ 42 chris  staff   1428 Aug  5 13:17 Library
drwx------+ 13 chris  staff    442 Jul  8 20:15 Movies
drwx------+ 11 chris  staff    374 Jul 23 21:00 Music
drwx------+ 11 chris  staff    374 Jul 11 20:55 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x+  5 chris  staff    170 Jul 23 00:30 Public
Chriss-MacBook:~ chris$ id
uid=501(chris) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),402(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),401(com.apple.access_screensharing),12(everyone),33(_appstore),61(localaccounts),79(_appserverusr),80(admin),81(_appserveradm),98(_lpadmin),100(_lpoperator),204(_developer)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

A guy with good reputation on the Apple forums recommended this:

code:
1. You will want to boot directly into the effected user.
2. Open Terminal.
3. These commands can be copied and pasted into Terminal one at a time, and wait for the next line that ends in chris$ to indicate the process has finished and the shell is ready for the next line:

sudo chflags -R nouchg /Users/chris/
sudo chmod -R 775 /Users/chris/
sudo chmod -RN /Users/chris/
sudo chown -R chris:staff /Users/chris/

The first removed locks from all files in your home folder.
The second command will correct the permissions of all files in your home folder.
The third removes any ACLs (access Control Lists) from the files in your home folder.
The last command corrects the ownership of the files in your home folder.

4. Reboot the computer as soon as all commands are completed.

Just wanted to run this by the thread to make sure this isn't going to do anything super weird. I don't think it will but I'm not an expert.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

computer parts posted:

does mail count against your 5GB limit for iCloud?

No.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Ok, so you know how when you select and drag a bunch of things in Finder it will (after a second or two of holding it) move and bunch them all up together? Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? It annoys the gently caress out of me and I'm misdropping thing everywhere.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

No? What view mode are you using?

Can't replicate this at all with column view.

You know, when it goes from this:

to this:

When you try to drag a bunch of selected items into another folder. Because it doesn't just fade out the bottom, it "jumps" the images higher up relative to your cursor, which just fucks everything up if you're trying to move it at that minute. It's not only happening to me - Siracusa talked about it in his review.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Oneiros posted:

I know what you're talking about, but I'm not sure what the problem you are having is. It doesn't do anything with the curser itself (not in my experience anyhow) so you shouldn't be misplacing things. Are you just being startled by it and releasing the button?

<e:f,b>

You're right, it doesn't move the cursor - but yes, I'm basically being startled by it, since it suddenly moves and is no longer attached to the cursor. I know it's a little thing, but I (as did Siracusa) actually find it to be deeply disruptive when I'm moving things about in the Finder.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

gently caress, I installed the iCal remove leather skin and it brought back page turn animation. How do I turn it off again?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

:stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

But wait

what happened

and how do I make it unhappen

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

FamDav posted:

I don't get it?

SafariOmnibar is a Safari extension (that a lot of people in this thread use!). Not a part of my username or machine name - at least it shouldn't be.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

So wait, why did it change my home directory to the Safari bundle? And how do I change it back?

e: ok, after restart it seems to be fixed (also, Safari Omnibar is no longer installed...perhaps the two are related?)

I know a lot of others use Omnibar, anyone else having this issue?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Yeah mine only started happening today after I installed an OmniBar update.

One last question: how do I disable the goddamn page curl in iCal. I know I did it somehow with this thread's help before, but when I installed the iCal bleached skin it undid the page curl thing I had fixed before.

Googling gets me nowhere - but I know I did it before because my home machine works fine. But this page curl makes me want to end my life and there has to be a way around it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Right, I know you can use the alt key, but I tend to use the mouse and there is a way to do one of the pref changes from the Terminal but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

One of my two identically configured machines running Lion is undergoing frequent freezes. Not crashes. Good old fashioned frozen screen, though I can still move the cursor. After 10-30 seconds it will start working again. But it's annoying as hell. Doesn't seem tied to the use of a particular application. I have 8 GB of RAM on a two year old MBP.

Googling produces nothing. Anyone have any idea what this is or how to fix it?

Martytoof posted:

I can't tell you (because I don't know), but I've been avoiding using mine just in case they are. I know several developers have migrated their mobileme accounts to iCloud so for their sake I would hope they don't wipe everything, or at least do a selective wipe.

edit:

God drat it, there is SOMETHING running on my machine that is making a weird echo-sonar type sound every now and then. I have no idea what it could be and it's driving me crazy. There's no visible notification or anything. I would selectively close apps but it happens so sporadically that I will be testing this for the next four days before I figure it out, if at all.

e2: Oh it was loving Steam's "friend online" sound.

Wait is it really Steam? Because I've been getting that too and I don't have Steam.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Martytoof posted:

a: Does dmesg or Console.app show anything relevant to your hangups?

b: Yep, I'm like 99% sure it was Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/friends/friend_online.wav

a) What would I be looking for in Console.app?

b) weird because I don't have steam and all of a sudden my machine has been making stupid and annoying noises of all types at random points.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

You turned on "iTunes Match" in iCloud which explicitly states that it replaces your current music library.

Wait, replaces it with what? How does this work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

So one thing I'm unclear about with iCloud is whether the Document backup can be made to act like Dropbox. I know the music / apps / versioning stuff doesn't count against the 5 GB.

So how does that 5 GB work? Is there a drive (like with MobileMe) that you just drag and drop stuff into like the Dropbox app? Because that would be sweet and I could drop Dropbox.