Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

NerdPolice posted:

Looking to upgrade to Lion for the release of iCloud but still worried about some compatibility issues and overall useability.

Ideally I would split my partition, install Lion clean and fresh then move everything over and finally delete my original partition and resize. Looking above this doesn't seem as simple as it sounds (due to the recovery partition).

Anybody have an easier method?

Ars Technica had a guide for doing a manual migration to Lion not too long ago. http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2011/07/making-a-clean-start-with-lion-migrating-without-assistance.ars. It goes over what other folders you should look at beyond just personal files. A lot of applications have preference files, and other libraries that they use. As well, if you use Apple Mail, you will need to find those files as well to backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

wolffenstein posted:

Have you used any video or audio recording software recently? Soundflower redirects sounds just like Virtual Audio Cable does for Windows.

Plex will also install this audio input/output software as well.

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

brc64 posted:

For some reason I haven't figured out, occasionally Apple Mail will open and tell me I've got mail (duplicating the unread count from Sparrow in the dock). Is there something I need to do to tell Apple Mail to gently caress off? It doesn't happen often, so I almost wonder if I'm accidentally doing something to launch it...

This sounds like pretty strange behavior, but the first thing I would do is go into the Preferences for Apple Mail, and under General make sure that you have your default mail reader set to Sparrow. Odds are, whenever you go to compose a new message by clicking on mail link in a browser or something, it's calling up Mail to compose, thus opening the app and downloading all your new messages.

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006
I've been searching Google for a solution all day, and my findings aren't all that encouraging. I've picked up a new SSD for my MacBook Pro (model 8,2), and placed the original hard disk in the optical drive bay with an MCE OptiBay. I'm trying to get BootCamp to work so that I can install Windows 7, but after creating the partition (on the mechanical hard disk) and rebooting, nothing happens. At best I get a black screen or a DOS-style screen saying that no bootable disk was found and that I should replace it and press any key (nothing happens).

I've tried playing with rEFIt, but it seems like there's issues with it and Lion when running FileVault 2. On top of that, I was able to hack the Info.plist file for Boot Camp Assistant to allow me to create a bootable USB stick to install Windows 7, but still no dice.

I know this problem is oddly specific, but if anybody has some ideas, I'm more than willing to try them.

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

TACD posted:

This is a really minor nitpick, but I've noticed several people referring to models like this - why? It's no more specific than the AppleCare name (e.g. 15-inch MacBook Pro, Early 2011) and is far less human-readable.

Just the easiest piece of model information I could get when going into the Fruit menu for System Information. I don't know why Apple doesn't just list that in there in the first place...

On a side note, I've been able to install Windows 7 using a tutorial whereby I treat the bootcamp partition as a virtual disk file in VirtualBox (kinda similar to doing the same thing in Parallels or VMWare). When I reboot however, the MacBook Pro still does not see the disk when I hold down the option key. When I go into Startup Disks and select the disk, it just boots to a grey screen where I have to manually shut down. This is continuing to sound like a FileVault problem from what I'm reading. Anyone able to confirm this?

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess I can try that tonight.

Couldn't get that to work. Can I use virtualbox and give it raw disk access?

I spent the past week trying to this whole thing after much Googling and Apple-based forums reading. Long story short, Apple doesn't support this on a lot of Mac firmwares (I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro). Couldn't boot from an external DVD via USB, or USB flash drive, nor could I install to the physical partition with a VM and reboot. I was trying to do an OptiBay setup and finally had to go back to mounting the original hard disk and DVD drive and installing Windows that way. After getting it working, I swapped everything back with my SSD and hard disk and am now back up and running.

I partitioned with Disk Utility and made the other drive MBR instead of GPT, just in case Windows was going to be finicky about things (and from my understanding and experience, it sometimes is with GPT).

If you do get this to work, please post about how you did it, as I would be quite interested in finding an answer.

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The optical going back in is what I dread because I already managed to damage the hard drive cable once just by bending it too much ( the only thing I can come up with ) so I'm paranoid now. Skyrim better be worth it and run decently on this 2010 13.

Let me know if you do get the VM thing working. I tried with VirtualBox treating the second disk as a raw disk, and all I got were Microsoft boot errors that I could do nothing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ripburger
Jan 12, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Did you let it boot in the VM at all? I've used a VM to install the OS for machines without graphics output in the past but never anything but Linux or FreeBSD.

I should have tried. All the stuff I was finding on Google and other forums were saying not to allow it to get past the first boot in the VM, lest Windows install the Virtual Box reference hardware drivers, and not the native MacBook Pro ones. Though I only tried this method with a GPT partition table, and not an MBR. Perhaps that's the key?