Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Right-click the "background" of the window and there will be an eject option.

Or if you use Alfred, just start typing "eject" and press enter! I love Alfred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I just made a time machine backup on Snow Leopard, do I literally just jam the external drive into my new computer *some magic happens* and all my programs and emails and whatever are on the new computer?

I had a really poo poo experience with migration assistant going from a Tiger powerbook to a Leopard macbook, so I want to make sure I don't have to do anything extra to make the Snow Lep --> Lion transfer super easy.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm giving my sister my old mac, do I just create a new Admin user, then delete my old user folder? I want her to be able to use Pages and Photoshop and all my old programs as well.

Also Lion rocks so far, no issues that didn't take 60 seconds to fix. The Time Machine transfer was insane, everything is literally exactly the same as the comp I transfered from. So easy! Although I'm waffling about using Chrome or Safari....gestures!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

You guys have malformed hands or something? Just rest all your fingers on the pad then move fingers down and thumb up, boom.

I can understand it being a pain if you've got long nails or something.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's the best program to convert video files so they'll play on the Xbox? I have "SmartConverter" but the Xbox setting doesn't work; I get a "bloo a bloo not supported" error.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Scienter posted:

I've got one of the new stock 13" Airs and yeah this has been my experience as well. Doesn't bug me too much because I don't spend much time on it but ironically the Mac App Store is easily the worst stock Mac App I've used so far (as a new Mac convert).

I've had no problems with it on my Air v:shobon:v

I do wish that you could two-finger swipe to go back a page though, instead of using the back arrow.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It auto sorts the things you use most so you can easily 4 finger swipe between them, instead of having to skip by stuff.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the link. I might give this a shot, but honestly I'd rather just wait until Apple fixes it (or doesn't). I launch my apps through Spotlight 99% of the time, and even then 99% of THOSE apps are in my dock, so I'm not even sure why I'm trying to come up with a reason to use Launchpad other than it's there.

Yeah, I just use Alfred for everything, I really only use launchpad when I can't remember the name of something...

If you guys/gals aren't using Alfred, a pretty cool feature is the ability to control iTunes. So if you're in full-screen Safari (for example), you can just press option-command-enter, and you can pick a song or album or see what's currently playing among other things!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So you don't need any media to boot off of?

It pulls it out of the aether.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I mostly forgot they even exist, to be quite honest. It would be neat if the little notification icon lit up when there was something to see, though.

I'm still on 10.7 here in the office and to be frank I'm not really sure I'll go through the trouble of upgrading until Apple actually make stuff stop working with Lion. 10.8 is really nice and all, but as a daily driver I'm not noticing any of the new features.

Yeah I haven't bothered upgrading either. It's got what, notifications? The airplay stuff seems cool if you have an apple tv, which I don't.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I upgraded to 10.8, now when I click a link in safari (on google for example) it opens up two identical tabs. What gives?

Also when I try to sign into iMessage I get some server error thing. I'm sure it's happened to other folks so I'm going backwards through the thread right now...

Edit: Ok yeah Messages and Facetime both don't work anymore. It says the server couldn't process my registration. Pretty sweet how they somehow broke the beta version of messages :psyduck:

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 24, 2012

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So does anyone know how to fix this? It happens when I try to sign into both iMessage and Facetime.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So does anyone know how to fix this? It happens when I try to sign into both iMessage and Facetime.

If anyone else is having this problem, just go into your /etc/hosts file and get rid of any changes you made.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there some way to just clear your drop box entirely? I shoved something in there that has hundreds of thousands of tiny files and manually deleting it does nothing.

I guess I'm looking for like a big RESET button.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Open Terminal
code:

cd /Users/appropriatemetaphor/Dropbox
rm -rf *
That will erase everything in your Dropbox folder

Ah awesome thanks. I really need to learn more terminal stuff.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I plugged a different mac power plug into my Air, and now it says "service battery (!)". What's the deal? According to battery health and coconut battery the "life" or whatever of the battery is still at 80%. Should I bring it to the apple store and say Mavericks upgrade broke it and hope they give me a new battery or something?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

1997 posted:

If battery full charge capacity goes below 80% it will say it needs service. Keep in mind Coconut battery isn't always accurate. A test can be performed to determine if your battery is bad or just worn. Bad = no cost if under warranty, worn = you pay because it isn't bad.

Ah hmm, so did it have nothing to do with using a different cord? I used maybe a plug from a like 15 inch macbook very briefly. I guess I'll take it in either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Maverick caused this for me. It eventually went away on it's own yesterday, but I have been letting it go completely empty and filling up the charge 100% before I use it each time now. :shrug:

I asked here about it earler.

Yeah it's seemed to have fixed itself for me too. Yay